• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

quetz67

Banned
A reminder for our little Resident Evil PSVita petition. You can be #1000 (of 1,000,000)

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/460/650/197/resident-evil-for-ps-vita/

re.jpg

@RyL

Sorry but I disagree, I prefer my gaming machine being a single purpose device and I'd like to have every single second of development time spent improving the gaming aspect.

We already have a lot of great multipurpose devices yet the vita this is only halfway decent dedicated portable gaming machine in the market.

MisterC20XX

Also, it's almost 2013, nobody wants a "one-purpose-device", especially when there are tablets out there like the Nexus 7 for 200 bucks.

I have a decent Android phone for touch games I play in line at the grocery store. I have a $200 tablet for reading books, watching movies and playing the occasional touch game on a bigger screen.

I have a Vita for playing console quality games with console quality controls on a mobile device, plain and simple. My phone and tablet are great, but they will never come anywhere close to the Vita experience. The few non-gaming apps I have on my Vita are nice (Twitter, YouTube, Netflix, Skype, etc) but at the end of the day I really do want the Vita to remain a "one purpose device" when it comes to gaming.

quetz67

Banned
I bought my PS Vita last month for 199€(WiFi) + 16GB 39€ + MGS HD Collection 25€.
Right now you can get a WiFi Vita with Little Big Planet bundle for 198€ at amazon.de. (changes between 198€ and 214€ all the time)

I bought a 3DS XL from that company offering the PSVita for EUR 152,88 and it was flawless including full warranty. I am really tempted to get a Vita at that price.

kiyomi

I don't have an ipad or tablet so I use the Vita as a multimedia device along with games. It sucks that I can't watch Giant Bomb quicklooks on the site, I have to go to the youtube app, which, as far as I can tell there is no way to see more videos from a specific person. You have to just keep searching.

I'm in the same boat as you - no tablets, and heck, my phone is barely 'smart' lol :p

I find the Vita adequate for watching videos, HD quality stuff certainly looks great. In the case of Giant Bomb, I might argue that's a bonus, since their HD content on YT looks a lot better than their own player does.

quetz67

Banned
If I thought it was going to be a good resident evil I would sign this but I have no faith in capcom being able to provide something like that.

So because they make one "bad" (RE6 supposedly) and one "good" (Revelations) RE you assume this would turn out bad?

sajj316

@RyL .. you seem conflicted. Do you want to play console quality games or have a device that converges a multitude of functions?

tbhysgb

I've got a few things I'll reach for over the Vita if I want to view multimedia on the couch. I Grab the Vita to play games, with real controls. I love my 3DS but I've been way too spoiled by Dual analog.

Coconut

Banned
So because they make one "bad" (RE6 supposedly) and one "good" (Revelations) RE you assume this would turn out bad?

RE5 isn't, great. Operation Raccoon city, terrible. Revelations isn't great. There are more terrible to middling RE games then there are good ones is all I'm saying.

Side note: I played XCOM last night for four hours straight. Loved the shit out if it. But I wish it had a Vita version so I could play at work during my lunch break.

Zen

Banned
Alright gang I'm askign for your help. I want to know how you set up a private network for the Vita to attach to with remote play etc?

Also how has the remote desktop app been coming along?

DJ88

Damn it, is it strange that I want to get a Vita just for RCR? I don't know why, and the only other games I'd really want is JSR, maybe Lumines. I keep telling my self it will be a massive mistake, but I can't get the thought out of my head. Homebrew sounds appealing too.

MisterC20XX

VAQ (Vita Accessory Question): Anyone using one of these HORI PS Vita Silicone Protectors?

412jhcjzsuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If so I'm wondering if it stays in place on the Vita? I have a silicon protector that came with an off-brand, 9-in-1 accessory kit but it's stretchy and sometimes shifts around while I'm playing games (terrible).

sajj316

VAQ (Vita Accessory Question): Anyone using one of these HORI PS Vita Silicone Protectors?

412jhcjzsuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If so I'm wondering if it stays in place on the Vita? I have silicon protector that came with an off-brand, 9-in-1 accessory kit but it's stretchy and shifts around during games (terrible).

I am. It works really well but a bit confusing to put on. There is a youtube demonstration that I used to put the screen protector on.

Sid

Alright gang I'm askign for your help. I want to know how you set up a private network for the Vita to attach to with remote play etc?

Also how has the remote desktop app been coming along?
From the remote play thread
Considering you have already registered the vita with your ps3;
-Settings->Remote Play settings->Remote Start->on
-Enable wifi on your vita by the settings and you should see the ps3 as an access point,connect to it
-Then select remote play from the network menu in the ps3 xmb
-Select Remote play on your vita->Connect via private network
-Done

Damn it, is it strange that I want to get a Vita just for RCR? I don't know why, and the only other games I'd really want is JSR, maybe Lumines. I keep telling my self it will be a massive mistake, but I can't get the thought out of my head.

Vita is great for 2D stuff, the colors look great. PSOne, PSP and PSM 2D games look amazing on it.

If you can find a good deal and enjoy portable gaming I'd say go for it. I mostly play at home, but it's great to be able to play anywhere.

Maybe not "ghosting", but it seems to suffer from the same problem as LCD's and isn't fast enough to eliminate blur/trailing when moving.

A big wow moment for me was in Rayman Origins when I stomped through the floor and dropped down a 300ft chasm at speed. That's what you call fast pixel response! Also in Virtua Tennis I cant see any trail on the ball. Then again both of those games are 60fps.

RyL

Banned
The problem is netbo.. I mean the Vita isn't better at anything!

It stretches the idea of portable and I don't see me carrying it around plus all the other devices and playing it in public would be rather embarrassing but that's just me...

If you want "console quality games with console quality controls" why don't you play it on your couch, on a huge screen with surround sound or better yet, maxed out PC games with angular graphics and a proper Sennheiser headset for the ultimate experience. What's the point of a portable gaming device if you have to plan your gaming sessions? That defeats the purpose in my opinion.
Granted, some people enjoy and like that kind of thing but they became the absolute minority as the Vita sales show; to a point where such niche products aren't profitable anymore for a company.

Well, at least you got one thing right.

n1 ladmate
... didn't know what hit me!

It stretches the idea of portable and I don't see me carrying it around plus all the other devices and playing it in public would be rather embarrassing but that's just me...

If you want "console quality games with console quality controls" why don't you play it on your couch, on a huge screen with surround sound or better yet, maxed out PC games with angular graphics and a proper Sennheiser headset for the ultimate experience. What's the point of a portable gaming device if you have to plan your gaming sessions? That defeats the purpose in my opinion.
Granted, some people enjoy and like that kind of thing but they became the absolute minority as the Vita sales show; to a point where such niche products aren't profitable anymore for a company.

n1 ladmate
... didn't know what hit me!
I have a PS3 and I prefer playing games on my Vita because I can start a game at my house, put it to sleep, drive to my girlfriend's, and pick up right where I left off. Playing on the Vita gives you more flexibility, which means less planning. I honestly don't think many people over the age of 15 get portable systems primarily to play on-the-go, in public. Portability is useful at home too. I can play while my gf is watching TV, I can play in bed, on the couch, on the toilet, etc.

Phones can only substitute for game machines up to a point. I love my iPhone, but I can't play any game more complicated than a puzzle game on it, because the controls just make it not fun. Many gamers don't have that problem, and won't buy a game system because their phones are just as good, but they probably wouldn't have bought one even if phones didn't exist.

I guess it's just not you cup of tea.

Arguably, it's the best at providing both home console and portable experiences in a single package. I carry it with me. I use it at flights, at the couch/bed, at the lunchbreak with coworkers for some quick VT4, etc.

All your arguments are right, but you are missing the point. The experience of going full digital has been flawless for me.

AwRy108

What bothers me the most is the software and I'm not talking about the games. Both the Vita and 3DS are modern hardware ruined by clunky, outdated and awful designed 2004-ish software. As multimedia platforms they're useless. People that keep saying, "It's a gaming device first and foremost!" What complete and utter rubbish. Both have video/music player browser and some other apps so it's more than fair to treat them as multimedia devices otherwise they wouldn't have added such features. Half-arsed attempts are not an excuse! If you think console apps on the 360 and PS3 are puke-inducing bad, oh boy, are you in for a surprise. I know Sony and Nintendo aren't software companies but how on earth is it even possible to make apps worse on a device with touch screen compatibilities compared to gamepad controlled ones. It sure takes talent to do so.

Also, it's almost 2013, nobody wants a "one-purpose-device", especially when there are tablets out there like the Nexus 7 for 200 bucks. Granted, you don't built a device like the Vita overnight and it took at least 2 years of development from Pre-Production (researching, planning, predicting future trends etc.) to the final product. As soon as new console hardware ships people already starting with the next gen development. But what makes it so baffling is that Sony is in the smartphone & tablet market and they have several years of experience in those fields so this is inexcusable! I read in some other thread that these devices like the tablets, Ipod touch and Vita don't compete against each other, at least that's what most of gaf said. Well, Apple has a whole section on their Ipod store page dedicated to gaming where they pride themselves of having created the best selling portable "game player" and I'm seriously considering replacing my second gen ipod touch with the 5g and selling my Vita. I can guarantee you that I'm not the only one who thinks that way. So take that as you will.

For starters, you contradict yourself severely in these paragraphs.

Secondly, of course Apple praises their device as "the best portable game player"--it's their device! Any gamer worth their salt will tell you that 95% of the gaming software on iOS is crap, and, of the decent 5%, 4% of them are hampered by the touch-only interface. The proof of all this can be evidenced by the nearly complete lack of "hardcore" games that come to the platform (um, Rayman Jungle Run, anyone?).

Third, smartphones require a cell carrier's subsidy to be even remotely affordable to the mass market, and, even then, you're looking at a minimum monthly spend of $90 (phone plan + data plan) just to be able to use the device at its potential. Until Vita/3DS carry these requirements, they're not competing devices. Who gives a shit about truck-loads of $1 shovelware when you're paying almost $100 a month just to access them???

Yes, many arguments can be lobbied against the overall demand for dedicated portable gaming devices by the mass market, especially since iOS devices have become the new home for cheap shovelware that the mass market flocks to, rather than the Nintendo DS. However, as portable gaming devices go, there's nothing that even comes close to rivaling the Vita in terms of horsepower, controls, and features; so, let's not start discounting the Vita as an awesome gaming device.

Also, try spending some time with the Vita's UI without your iOS-colored glasses, and you might just see the truth: the Vita's interface is built around providing the best gaming experiences possible, which is why it mimics and, in some cases, rivals the features of services like XBox LIVE, Steam, and PSN. Persistent friends list, Cloud saves, cross-game chat, party chat, in-game Skype, custom soundtracks, auto-updating "Live Area", cross-game texting, full-fledged Trophy system, background downloading, multi-tasking, screenshots, location based gifting (Near), etc. What the hell else do you want for your gaming device, man?

I get so frustrated by all the Vita hate b/c, quite frankly, it's pretty much a gamer's dream come true for handheld gaming. Heck, not even the 3DS gets this much hate, and it's antiquated hardware built around gimmicky features that even Nintendo barely support, and its future software library in the US looks about as dim as I've ever seen. I have a 3DS XL, and I can't even think of any future "must-have" games until 2013... yet I look forward to playing my Vita every friggin' day.

Exactly. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I feel you are missing the point. This isn't a device for someone who wants a ten second game of angry birds. It's for the dedicated gamer who wants the full experience wherever they are

Ponn

Banned

Granted, some people enjoy and like that kind of thing but they became the absolute minority as the Vita sales show; to a point where it isn't profitable anymore for a company.

You are not stating anything new, ignoring points already made in this very thread and all around acting like you haven't read any discussions on Vita.

1) People have different taste, go figure. It sounds like you want a convergent device and don't really care about "console quality graphics on a handheld" Thats great for you, no one is going to try very hard to change your mind. The Vita probably isn't for you, get a ipod touch 5 and godspeed.

2) People that want to play cord free from the TV but asking for quality graphics is not an entirely new notion but entering a new era. People don't want to be tethered to a TV for a variety of reasons but don't necessarily need the system to replace their iphone on the go. This is going to become even more abundantly clear as soon as the Wii-U is released and you start seeing all threads from Nintendo Fans going gaga over playing games on the wii U tablet not tied down to the TV. They are going to be acting like its the second coming while us Vita owners are going to be "Yea, so we've been doing that already".

It's only a minority of people right now because it really hasn't been well implemented till now and the population hasn't been groomed for it till the advent of tablets. You don't want to be tied to your PC and though laptops are portable, there not really, not like a tablet. Same concept for video games, if you have kids you will really understand how nice it is to have a portable PS3 in your hand that you can put to sleep in a second and not tie up the TV with. And the demographic for gamers in that situation keeps moving that way as SNES/PSone era gamers are getting older. You can't just make a sweeping statement like "Just play the games on your big screen TV", thats an option yes but people are looking for more and better options.

EDIT: OK, nm. With your added link you are definitely just trolling. Just go buy this years revision of ipod/iphone/ipad whatever and start saving for next year.

VanWinkle

A little summary of my Vita experience and overall impression. *post*

Alright, so, a few points:

The Vita is obviously not meant for you. You do not see the appeal of a device that delivers console quality games with the controls to do them justice on a portable device. That's fine; you're not the only person who feels that way. Regardless, it is clear that the Vita was not made for you or the market that shares your opinion.

I, and others on here, find that as devices are doing more and more, it's nice to have a device that does one thing exceptionally well. My old phone was a better phone than my nice new smartphone. Of course, with that functionality, I've personally settled with what I have in my smartphone. Now, so many people own smartphones or tablets that you have to wonder: why does the Vita NEED to do everything? We already own devices that do everything. The problem is, while those devices also do gaming, it doesn't do it exceptionally well; and for someone who's favorite hobby is gaming, that will not cut it.

As for not understanding the market, nobody is going to WANT the Vita as an internet-browsing machine, or a video player, or an apps machine. There are better devices out there for that, that are smaller and more more portable. Do you think that if they added a bunch of apps that people will suddenly start buying it in droves? Of course not. People want a tablet or a smartphone for that. This has a few apps that are just a couple "essentials", but, as a whole, the Vita serves one purpose, and for a lot of us, it serves that purpose very well.

You don't care for physical controls, you don't care for its size, you think the idea that it's a gaming device first and foremost is rubbish, you think it would be embarrassing to be seen with it in public, you find PSM underwhelming and think it will fail (of course, despite it being "out" for only a week and the SDK not even being available yet), etc. Remind us why you got the device? You could have used one of your multipurpose devices to do a little research on it first, so you would have known that it isn't a "do everything" device.

For us, who may indeed be a dwindling market, this machine is about our last hope for a dedicated portable game system, so while we find faults with it, we live with that, deliver our feedback, and enjoy the awesome things about it (of which there are many).

I know I said it would be nice to see Telltale's The Walking Dead on Vita sometime since it'd be pretty good(and it's a great game that everyone should play!), but after playing Episode 4... nah. I'll just wallow in my depressed-like state at home, thanks.

So you're one of those closet gamers eh? You know, the guy who plays in the dark, when no one else is around. Denies the hobby/gaming love at parties, etc :p

Also, the point of having a dedicated gaming handheld is to be able to game whenever, wherever. The point is not having to plan your gaming sessions you know? Commuting on the subway? Whip out your Vita or whatever and play for a bit. Sick on the toilet? Bring your Vita with you and hopefully forget about that irritable bowel syndrome - you know, stuff like that.

I totally understand the home gaming experience, having the awesome sound, video and so on but handheld gaming is just a different entity. The main point of it (as I said before) was to be able to do it whenever, wherever. I still can't tell if you were just being sarcastic or actually serious.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the Vita is the closest thing to a portable home console experience. I understand people don't like that idea, or get confused by it, but so far it's the only portable device with such a robust control scheme from the get go that I can think of - not to mention with awesome developer support, especially considering how it hasn't sold gangbusters
yet

Sid

Totally missed this because of all the Konami stuff. Quoting for a new page, here is info on a brand new Compile Heart Vita game:

Rubbing, pinching and poking. Man, they're not even trying to keep it from sounding pervy are they? So hopefully we get some scans?

Also, Shuhei is saying this:

.... VITA HEAVEN 2? FOR REALS?!

http://gematsu.com/2012/10/sony-teases-many-unannounced-ps-vita-games
I hope they are some big franchises with exclusive vita iterations made by quality studios.

branny

So now that Ragnarok Odyssey is coming out Oct. 30 for reals, and DJMAX TECHNIKA TUNE is coming Oct. 26 (for some odd reason) with its superior digital version coming even later (for some odd reason again), what is going to fill the 20-ish day void?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom