• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Caveat for 2:
A lot of people playing online are high/max level. Didn't seem overly noob friendly, though the "infected 1.5x exp bonus" was good to help me hit level 2 quickly.
Yup quite a few level 40's though infections help oh and the framerate is a bit spotty online.

Couple of Resistance questions for you guys...

1. online pass?
2. Are people still playing this online?

Demo was ok, but I'm still kinda sorta interested in trying this out.

Well I tried it again the other day and never had trouble finding a game. Seems to have enough people playing.

Truly the biggest issue is the frame rate drops that get really annoying. The other weapons are now more viable since the mule got nurfed enough to not be toooo devastating.

It's pretty lacking in game modes but team death match and 4v4 work fine for the maps that are there.

If they got the frame rate at a solid 30 fps and added CTF and Dominations modes it would be a solid game. Cod might actually be ok but it's def going to be missing some things that are expected with a cod game meaning it will get a low rating regardless. However I got bored of cod a while back so il see how the reviews go on that one.

Shahed

It's pretty rare to find a game that uses touch/motion in a non gimmicky way. In fact I've never played one that did.

Depends on how it's done. I'm a fan of gyro aiming facilitating analog control, so whenever a game does that I like it. Analog gets me in the immediate vicinity of where I want to be, and gyro fine tunes. Liked using it in Killzone 3 sniper use, Uncharted GA shooting and Gravity Rush.

With the exception of the Gravity Slide, Gravity Rush handled everything pretty well and I never found it to be touch/motion to be tacked on. Found it easier to Gravity Kick multiple enemies quickly with the gyro over analog

Uncharted GA is a gimmick though. The game as actually pretty good normally and I really like the way they do the treasure system by making it all more relevant, as opposed to just being there in the console games. But apart from gyro aiming, all the motion/touch stuff drives me crazy. It feels completely tacked on and ruins my immersion every time. At times I've just gotten sick of it and put the game off for now. I kind of wish they made another Uncharted game for the Vita with none of the useless shite that ruins this game.

Haven't played it yet, but I heard touch controls are good in Little King Story. Not only are they optional, but it makes it faster/easier to select troops

Twinduct

Whats this shit! When is RCR coming to EU?
Paid a damn arm and leg at the bed & breakfast for Wifi only to see it's no where to be found!

MisterC20XX

Resistance BS is a decent shooter. It has some problems though, not enough multiplayer maps being the most important for me. If you have a positive attitude as a gamer you will probably enjoy this game, because shooting mechanics are almost perfect, the multiplayer is rather fast and hectic, and the lightning and some of the bosses in the campaign are never seen before on a handheld. Cutscenes are horribly lowres, sometimes you have to retry a lot before being able to enter an online game and there are other bugs or odd looking models (cars and faces come to mind). As of today, you'll find people playing online at any time of the day.

Nice summary. I really want to buy R:BS but at this point I'm saving my money COD:BOD. Maybe I'll pick up R:BS after it drops in price.

VanWinkle

Dokuro looks okay I guess. I don't know. I love 2D games, but just doesn't really look like a game I would like from the videos I've seen.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Dokuro looks okay I guess. I don't know. I love 2D games, but just doesn't really look like a game I would like from the videos I've seen.

Yeah, comes off as a Lemmings meets Lost Vikings. Both of which were OK games, but not my favorites.

I'll probably buy Dokuro for the sake of buying and supporting it, though.

minimoke

I gave Resistance:BS multiplayer another try after the latest patch and I must say it's a pretty good online shooter. It almost had a strange RFOM feel to it. More maps and game modes would be awesome but I'm not sure any DLC is planned:-(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Dokuro looks like a charming little 2D Ico to me. It seems like it actually tries to have enough gameplay personality in order to sustain it's 147 stages, and I appreciate that. From simple "walk right" puzzles, to stages that almost feel like they belong in a slow-paced Castlevania-light, it's a nice mix.

I'll probably enjoy it more than I did with any demos of various LittleBigPlanets I've played over the years; I've been thinking about the issue, and I think it's the fact that I never feel like I'm playing much more than, say, a cute mouse pointer that just happens to have limbs. Dokuro's ability to actually smack a few enemies, get into some boss battles, and interact with another in-gameplay character, will probably make the game feel much more meaningful to me.

It might not be Puppeteer, but I look forward to Dokuro a bit more than I generally can muster for puzzle / platform hybrids...

Skyzard

Banned
Decent NFSMW Vita impressions but no video:

http://gamersxtreme.org/2012/10/13/nycc-2012-need-for-speed-most-wanted-ps-vita-hands-on/

Visually, the game looks pretty solid with a nice draw distance of the environments. The textures aren’t ultra-rich like those on the console version but the PS Vita doesn’t replicate exact console graphics, it does close to it. When I crashed the car, it showed dents in the areas that collided and when you reset on the track, the damage remained on the vehicle the whole time. It’s also worth mentioning that the game runs at 30fps (frames per second) like NFS: Hot Pursuit did on PS3/360 and not 60fps like the Burnout series did. In terms of audio, the soundtrack sounded crisp but the sound effects were a bit compressed. They were still solid but definitely stood out as the weaker aspect of my first impressions.

I'm hoping it was too loud to hear anything at comic con. Glad to see we do actually get damage models as well. He didn't mention any slowdown.. :)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Has there been any word on when PS+ is coming to the Vita? I'm thinking of buying 2 years of Plus for the 20$ credit promotion.

Famassu

I want DWN but let's not beat around the bush. The touch duels are the definition of pointless gimmick. They add no depth and they don't control better than standard controls, there should just be a normal final battle like the rest of the level like in every warrior's game.

It's pretty rare to find a game that uses touch/motion in a non gimmicky way. In fact I've never played one that did.
There are plenty, the game simply has to be planned with the touchscreen & motion sensing in mind, it can rarely be just implemented as a kind of replacement for traditional controls. Games like Kirby: Canvas Curse, Red Steel 2, The World Ends With You and Ouendan have some truly great & well working touchscreen or motion-sensing implementation, and that's simply because they haven't tried to change normal stuff to work with motion, but have looked at the strengths of the two new types of controls, which has lead to those kinds of controls working really well & being enjoyable.

Hey guys, just wondering but since Sony is now offering PS+ for Vita that means they aren't planning on killing the platform off for a while right?

Bit of an overblown statement, dont you think? If it has DRM, it can be cracked. Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time and effort from interested and technically proficient enough people.

Well at least with PSM program we can safely put any excuses of homebrew as clear bullshit :)

Skyzard

Banned
Oh only that NFSMW is a pretty damn certain buy for me at this point (I just have to have it in my hands)...AC getting more and more likely the more I watch of it..

The review did say R to accelerate.. would prefer the second analogue but meh it will do - I'm guessing they use that for camera control anyway. Game will be so addictive..can't wait to see more.

Lol. Skyzard stay in this thread. You're too good for that other thread.

Haha cheers... I was serious though :p (Sony might not be bullshitting...I could believe it! It's not like the Vita desperately needs major improvements to the hardware --- do we really expect phones to get that much better in a few years? Will they ever add buttons..d-pad..etc Nintendo also has enough to deal with the 3DS..I see it lasting a while. 10 was pushing it...buy yeah why not, let's say 10 :p)

Carl

Oh only that NFSMW is a pretty damn certain buy for me at this point (I just have to have it in my hands)...AC getting more and more likely the more I watch of it..

Ah i see, fair enough. I'm not really a massive fan of racing games, which is why it's the other way around for me. I loved Burnout Paradise though, and NFS is looking like it's nearly everything i loved about BP :)

And AC:L looks awesome ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ew, R to accelerate? Would much prefer a face button, maybe it's mappable in the options. Don't like my shoulder buttons at all, they're clicky and sticky and wobbly all at the same time, and I don't have confidence in them.

Nor seen much of AC:L. Found the first game a bit boring but am tempted by AC:III with the new setting. How does the vita version tie into it? Any benefits for buying the PS3 version instead of PC? Eg shared save games, unlocks etc?

Skyzard

Banned
Ew, R to accelerate? Would much prefer a face button, maybe it's mappable in the options. Don't like my shoulder buttons at all, they're clicky and sticky and wobbly all at the same time, and I don't have confidence in them.

I'm hoping it is remappable aswell yeah..should be ok, X to nitrous, L to brake and circle or square to handbrake drift iirc

Ah i see, fair enough. I'm not really a massive fan of racing games, which is why it's the other way around for me. I loved Burnout Paradise though, and NFS is looking like it's nearly everything i loved about BP :)

And AC:L looks awesome ;)

Ah yes fair enough, but yeah it looks a lot like BP!...but with cops >_< and cooler cars (shame about no bikes though...but probably best for the kids?).

AC looks like it might be THE most impressive handheld title there is.. hopefully it runs smooth >.<

Carl

Ah yes fair enough, but yeah it looks a lot like BP!...but with cops >_< and cooler cars (shame about no bikes though...but probably best for the kids?).

AC looks like it might be THE most impressive handheld title there is.. hopefully it runs smooth >.<

Wasn't a massive fan of the bikes part, so doesn't really bother me. Would be good if it was there though. Even so, looks fun.

My eyes are shit and i rarely notice framerate drops, so that doesn't bother me too much :p Haha.

That thread is crawling with Nintendo fanboys and rampant Sony hate. I mean Killzone = Conduit? Best shooter this gen is Goldeneye remake? CoD is a system seller except for Vita?

There's no convincing. I don't know how that thread hasn't been Iocked or how the ban hammer hasn't come down on both sides. It reminds me of the System Wars forum on Ganespot.com.

I'm sure there will be another thread in the coming days.

OT: so I have limited funds and Im trying to decide on what Vita games to get. I'm passing on JSR. Theres a guy selling RO on Kijiji for $35 but it's the HK version but I'd rather get the NA version and support Xseed. ACL is looking awesome and I may settle on it until I can buy the console version. I need to make sure I have funds for P4G though. That game is a must.

Sid

I gave Resistance:BS multiplayer another try after the latest patch and I must say it's a pretty good online shooter. It almost had a strange RFOM feel to it. More maps and game modes would be awesome but I'm not sure any DLC is planned:-(
Unlikely,best wait for killzone if you want a better mp shooter.

Skyzard

Banned
Passing on JSR is only acceptable if you never played it on Dreamcast and can't be bothered to now... (>/\<). Or you bought it already for PS3/Xbox360/steam. Still..portable...the fun soundtrack...skating around and tagging walls while running from comical police..great price too £6.50 (UK).

Wasn't a massive fan of the bikes part, so doesn't really bother me. Would be good if it was there though. Even so, looks fun.

My eyes are shit and i rarely notice framerate drops, so that doesn't bother me too much :p Haha.

Haha so lucky :p

Not too bothered about the bikes as they have a nice formula 1 type car and that buggy kart thing for messing around with as well .... oh man just cannot wait to drive around a city in free roam ... police chases and hopefully without lagging. Get bored? mess around for ages doing random challenges with others. Hopefully the map is nice and big, they said it has a tonne of more things then BP to do...which would be amazing as BP had some great designs.

MW gives off a slightly darker vibe but still, should be so much fun knowing Criterion.

Now I feel weird for really liking having the triggers as accelerate and decelerate..

Top of the page again : yet again- buy ALL vita games.

Skyzard

Banned
^ I think it will be decent for MW (R to go) as there will be nitrous and a handbrake too...might be too complicated or overly sensitive to use anologues.. I remember it got a bit fiddley with Motorstorm RC but that could have been because you're looking from top down..

Ppl describe NFSMW as free roam, but what makes it open world?

Also does it take place in actual existing city or a fictional one?

I think the City is fictional to allow for some fun gameplay with jumps and things.
It is free roam as you start in the open world and can just drive up to different areas to start events. You don't go back to a menu system after a race either..you just carry on driving around and doing what you want. Some of the features of the game don't even involve separate events.

The guy who wrote the impressions in the above link said you don't have to drive to a street to start a race in MW, they added an option so you can start them quickly through the menus, which will be much appreciated here. Open world is nice but actually starting races is important too :p

spannicus

http://gamersxtreme.org/2012/10/13/nycc-2012-need-for-speed-most-wanted-ps-vita-hands-on/

I'm hoping it was too loud to hear anything at comic con. Glad to see we do actually get damage models as well. He didn't mention any slowdown.. :)

Yeah each station had some pretty cool over ear headphones and you couldn't hear a thing over the noise at CC all the games I played sounded very low over all the fun shot that was going on so don't worry about it. He's right about the textures not being as good as the consoles but all in all its an awesome game. Don't compare it to the console versions just look at it as the one and only true racer for the Vita and there will be no complaints.

Carl

Haha so lucky :p

Not too bothered about the bikes as they have a nice formula 1 type car and that buggy kart thing for messing around with as well .... oh man just cannot wait to drive around a city in free roam ... police chases and hopefully without lagging. Get bored? mess around for ages doing random challenges with others. Hopefully the map is nice and big, they said it has a tonne of more things then BP to do...which would be amazing as BP had some great designs.

MW gives off a slightly darker vibe but still, should be so much fun knowing Criterion.

Yeah it definitely looks a lot of fun. I like it when you get to know the city and know where you're supposed to be going. I hate the first few hours where you have no idea where everything is...Haha.

If there's as much to do as there was in BP i will be so, so, so happy.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah it definitely looks a lot of fun. I like it when you get to know the city and know where you're supposed to be going. I hate the first few hours where you have no idea where everything is...Haha.

If there's as much to do as there was in BP i will be so, so, so happy.

Same here...and yes definitely going to get lost a lot...hopefully it will be a memorable city!

Yeah each station had some pretty cool over ear headphones and you couldn't hear a thing over the noise at CC all the games I played sounded very low over all the fun shot that was going on so don't worry about it. He's right about the textures not being as good as the consoles but all in all its an awesome game. Don't compare it to the console versions just look at it as the one and only true racer for the Vita and there will be no complaints.

Thanks spannicus, I can understand textures dropping a bit considering the size of the world so that all sounds good to me! It also looked pretty decent from some focussed moments on the videos too so not that worried! Console version will be fantastic as well...but I want to be able to jump into NFSMW city in an instant..anywhere..

VanWinkle

Hey guys, just wondering but since Sony is now offering PS+ for Vita that means they aren't planning on killing the platform off for a while right?

I don't think anybody in the right mind actually thinks they'll kill the thing off for a while. And I keep forgetting about PS+ coming to Vita. I'm really excited, but I'm also worried that I'll have all of the free games they offer. Still, it will be worth it for the online saves :)

Okay, sounds good. I mean, the screenshots we saw showed that it's not PS3 level graphics, but it still looks fantastic. Burnout Paradise is my favorite racing game ever. This isn't a proper sequel, but it's as close as we're likely to get, so this is easily a day 1 purchase for me. I would love cross-buy, but that's unlikely, so Vita version it is. It's hard for me to play on my consoles now. I like with Vita that I can just sit around wherever in the house and play, and not be confined to my tv room.

Ppl describe NFSMW as free roam, but what makes it open world?

Also does it take place in actual existing city or a fictional one?

You can drive anywhere you want. Every stoplight has an event that you can choose whether you want to do or not. If you don't want to race or anything, you can just drive around beating friends' times on roads, smash billboards and gates, etc. I use to just drive around for hours on Burnout Paradise, and it was a blast.

Top of the page again : yet again- buy ALL vita games.

I think this is the best course of action.

The main thing that has bummed me out is hearing the not-too-positive impressions about the graphics. But they're all comparing it to the PS3 game, so it's a little unfair. As a portable game, as a Vita game, how are the graphics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom