• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recommendations on screen protectors?

Despite taking excruciatingly good care of mine, there are several super fine scratches appearing. Granted, you can only see them in the perfect light, but they will bug me. I'd like to prevent any future ones....

Quick

Banned
Any recommendations on screen protectors?

Despite taking excruciatingly good care of mine, there are several super fine scratches appearing. Granted, you can only see them in the perfect light, but they will bug me. I'd like to prevent any future ones....

The official Vita screen protector should do the trick.

And you've now made me paranoid about my own screen.

fernoca

Ah, brilliant! Maybe I'll do that as well. What crystal case is that? Do you have an Amazon link for it?

EDIT: Looks like the Cosmos one ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078J3KVW/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ).

fernoca, does the Vita in the crystal case actually fit OK in the Sony carry case? I'm looking at my naked Vita in it right now, and it doesn't seem like it would fit with a plastic case on as well. Does it insert normally, close normally etc?

Mine's this one from Mad Catz. (Amazon link) Technically the same, from the looks of it.

And yeah, it fits on that case. Though, I removed the plastic-bit were you put the Vita in place; since I use it mostly for extra protection rather than to carry it around (and the crystal case also has a mini-stand too).

This thread just depressed me so much regarding the future of the Vita...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492912

I know there are games on the horizon, I don't know what it feels like we are missing, an RPG I know Persona 4 and I am dying for AC3 L, but man I just get an aching feeling that there isn't much else announced.

Is this an actual legit fear, or onset from visiting the above thread?

The official Vita screen protector should do the trick.

And you've now made me paranoid about my own screen.

Well, I don't know when they appeared. I traded for it used and it was in good condition except for a few cosmetic dings that didn't bother me, but I didn't see any scratches at the time.

And today I was trying to wipe down the unit to get smudges off of it, and I noticed some really short, faint scratches on the screen, but only when I reflect a bright light off the screen, otherwise I can't see them.

I'll have to run to Best Buy tomorrow and pick up some of the official ones then. At least I have a $5 coupon. =P

VanWinkle

I know there are games on the horizon, I don't know what it feels like we are missing, an RPG I know Persona 4 and I am dying for AC3 L, but man I just get an aching feeling that there isn't much else announced.

The people in that thread know nothing more than you do. At least for the time being, and until he legitimately hear otherwise, we have nothing to worry about. Good games are coming.

Noi

The lore in this new one is easily one of the greatest things I have ever experienced.

I don't have a 3DS so I had to read it on the internet and not experience it first hand, though. ):

I honestly haven't even played it yet. :(

I just admitted to myself that I'm probably not going to get around to it for months so I might as well trade it for LBP (which I actually want to play now), and re-buy it down the road. (EDIT: Also I totally can get double club nintendo coins this way, wahahaa)

This whole flowmotion thing is pretty fun, though!

I dig what story I've seen, but story usual takes second place to gameplay for me. And the gameplay, between having to raise the dang Dream Eaters up individually to earn new abilities (something I feel both BBS and Re:Coded did better) and having made areas incredibly huge to fit in Flowmotion but still keeping them barren, I actually dread every time I start up the game and feel like I should be playing something else instead.

I'll probably follow Zeer0id's example and sell it now and pick up a cheaper copy later. It'll help fund my copy of VLR for the Vita!

It's not unreasonable to have it as a fear, but that's only going to get compounded x10000 when everyone around you is going VITA IZ DOOMED. Peer pressure and all.

I know, but dear lord this thing is more frustrating than when I purchased the original psp, I love being able to play some of my PSP games, but I need something new.

I realize this sounds crazy, especially after getting Gravity Rush, Uncharted, and LBP v, but damn I am craving a racer or something I can't pinpoint it...

I know, but dear lord this thing is more frustrating than when I purchased the original psp, I love being able to play some of my PSP games, but I need something new.

I realize this sounds crazy, especially after getting Gravity Rush, Uncharted, and LBP v, but damn I am craving a racer or something I can't pinpoint it...

WRC is out next week? I think

edit: looks like October 12 sorry thought it was october 2

Buy Hot Shots Golf or Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus.

I felt the same way you do, and those were the only two games I felt had enough substance for me to stick my teeth into.

zroid

Banned
I think by the end of the year with Persona and AC3L, the games will all be there. All that's needed will be a price drop and some genuine marketing.

What's depressing is it doesn't look like Sony wants to do either of those things.

It's been nothing but doom and gloom and crying and whining and pissing and moaning since the day the Vita released.

And it will continue until the day it dies, whenever that might be.

All you can do is enjoy the system for what it is, not what it might be, and let the sales monkeys and amateur analysts squabble and argue and make their forecasts. Or you can sell it and not have to worry about anything at all. =P

Hell the PSP didn't have a fantastic start and it went on to have the best library of any handheld this generation, especially if you're an RPG fan.

I dig what story I've seen, but story usual takes second place to gameplay for me. And the gameplay, between having to raise the dang Dream Eaters up individually to earn new abilities (something I feel both BBS and Re:Coded did better) and having made areas incredibly huge to fit in Flowmotion but still keeping them barren, I actually dread every time I start up the game and feel like I should be playing something else instead.
I can't wait to hear what you think of this masterpiece, damn it. It's something everyone needs in their life.

I'm being as sarcastic as I can be here, by the way. The story is really dumb and convoluted.

Noi

Take your pick!
6384383823_ec43bbef42_z.jpg

VITA-Ridge-Racer-Box-art.jpeg
mnr-vita-box.jpg
Wipeout_2048_Boxart.jpg

I can't wait to hear what you think of this masterpiece, damn it. It's something everyone needs in their life.

I'm being as sarcastic as I can be here, by the way. The story is really dumb and convoluted.

But that's how I like my Kingdom Hearts. :(

Get
Rayman - Lots of content, looks gorgeous
wipEout 2048 - Liverpool's swan song and a great racer
Unit 13 - Zipper's swan song, it should be cheap by now

gkryhewy

It's pretty much fucked, but you can still enjoy it while it lasts. I'd recommend Ridge Racer.

fernoca

No biggie. Having a great time with it.
Have 12 retail games (been an owner for under 3 months), have 12 games more to get before the end of the year (either upcoming like AC Liberation, or already out like Unit 13).

In the worst case scenario (unless Sony just stops selling and allowing games); it might end like "a Dreamcast": niché, with rare/few support, but still great games and I still enjoyed the heck out of the Dreamcast even with the PS2 hype and getting all the support.

And as far as racers, get Need for Speed: Most Wanted.... on November. :p
Of the ones out right now...WipEout is great and just $20.
ModNation is..well, I liked the PS3 game.
Ridge Racer ...is Ridge Racer but you technically need the DLC which adds $14 more over the price of the game.

Noi

Everyone talking about racing and cars and whatnot: Vita's killer app, Spy Hunter, should be out in about 2 weeks or so!

But this is, like, way worse. My god is it way worse.

Hey, I managed to survive the series revealing it's dumbest (and most groan-worthily named) plot device.

%CE%A7-blade_(Complete)_KHBBS.png

I can stomach anything.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Came long a bushel of games I didn't even know I had in storage. Pre-ordered Persona 4 and paid it off. I'm all set for at least one game this fall.

Skyzard

Banned
Some recommendations on racing games:

Wipeout 2048 - challenging but rewarding, also amazing

Ridge Racer - get if you are a fan but don't expect much from single player, also the dlc maps are a must like fernoca says as the game is too barebones by itself. Otherwise hold out to see what NFSMW is like.

Don't get modnation, wait to see what Sonic and Sega All-stars racing is like unless you really don't notice framerate issues or care about online mp.

Motorstorm RC is a good game, dlc is good too. Doesn't quite satisfy the racer in me as it is RC racing, but still good.

---so buy wipeout which will hold you over till NFSMW +/- sega and sonic racing transformed. If you want a slightly easier but still challenging and more traditional racer now, get ridge racer but if you aren't familiar with the series the drifting is very arcade.

AwRy108

It's been nothing but doom and gloom and crying and whining and pissing and moaning since the day the Vita released.

And it will continue until the day it dies, whenever that might be.

All you can do is enjoy the system for what it is, not what it might be, and let the sales monkeys and amateur analysts squabble and argue and make their forecasts. Or you can sell it and not have to worry about anything at all. =P

Hell the PSP didn't have a fantastic start and it went on to have the best library of any handheld this generation, especially if you're an RPG fan.

Well said. Everyone I know who owns a Vita, myself included, freakin' loves it; and I have a feeling that if more people would look past the popular, short-sighted, "gloom and doom" opinion about the device, they'd discover how awesome it really is. The Vita is love letter to gamers on the go, and it's a shame that so many enthusiasts are missing out b/c of all the unwarranted negativity: the device hasn't even seen a holiday season yet!

When the handheld gaming market eventually deteriorates into iOS gimmicks, Nintendo exclusives, and Monster Hunter, at least we'll know that anyone who owned a Vita had hopes for better things; but until then, I say: "Game on!"

I have just heard that Ridge Racer was slightly annoying with their pricing scheme and I didn't want to support that model, I guess it is just a tough wait for the upcoming big ones, NFS/P4/AC3L.

I am really enjoying LBP though, I haven't played since the first one, I really like it on the Vita, I should have just bought HSG digitally, I hate having to switch cards for a round, those damn later levels are killing me haha.

OmegaZero

If you're bored and looking for a challenge, get Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus.
Gobs of content and fun if you like action games and can stomach the old-school design decisions.

EDIT:
Its not exactly manual aim, you put the reticle over them and then push and hold the button and then it goes into auto aim mode and the regular ac long distance aiming takes over. Press again to fire off the shot.

Thanks.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
If you're bored and looking for a challenge, get Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus.
Gobs of content and fun if you like action games and can stomach the old-school design decisions.

Is it still throw your controller difficult? Because in this case my controller would be a $300 handheld. I'd rather not render it airborne.

OmegaZero

WARNING: OmegaZero is not held responsible for any damage your Vita may sustain.

Actually, I am.
If you don't like the game or suck at playing it, I will sneak into your house and plaster your Vita with STICKERS.

And they will be very hard to remove.

Is it still throw your controller difficult? Because in this case my controller would be a $300 handheld. I'd rather not render it airborne.

If you've played Ninja Gaiden Sigma, then you should know what to expect. If you're used to Ninja Gaiden Black, then this game will seem a bit easier.
The key differences are:
-a Hero Mode that automatically blocks, dodges, and gives you infinite Ninpo when your health is red.
-New unlockable Enhancement accessories carry over between playthroughs. Their effects stack with your regular accessories.
-New unlockable costumes for Rachel and the Grip of Murder costume for Ryu.

So basically, if you unlock the right enchancement and unlock the Grip of Murder costume, you can OHKO enemies in the first couple of chapters with Flying Swallows. On Master Ninja.

bakedpony

Hi guys I have a question. I know that Vita memory cards are now restricted to one account only and it would require reformatting to switch accounts. The question is,

Can I use my PS3 to solve this problem? For example:

say I wanna buy Game X on the Asian store but my Vita account is a US one. Can I just log in to my Asian account on a PS3, buy and download the game from the Asian store. Then, I would switch my PS3 account to that of the US one (same as the Vita) and simply transfer?

Thanks for the help! I'm considering getting a Vita soon :)

MisterC20XX

I pulled out my 3DS to play some Super Mario 3D Land and realized the Vita's OLED has spoiled me for good. Any ideas how much GameStop will offer for a Cosmo Black 3DS?

EDIT: I just tried to buy Lunar on PSN and realized the PSN store is down. Maybe I'll keep the 3DS! >:-(

zroid

Banned
I pulled out my 3DS to play some Super Mario 3D Land and realized the Vita's OLED has spoiled me for good. Any ideas how much GameStop will offer for a Cosmo Black 3DS?

EDIT: I just tried to buy Lunar on PSN and realized the PSN store is down. Maybe I'll keep the 3DS! >:-(

But if you sell it, you'll lose your only still surviving handheld
:p

VanWinkle

I've been meaning to get that game out and play it again soon, but man, I haven't turned my 3DS on in months.

Hey VitaGAF pals, we just wrapped up Fantastic Arcade in Austin tonight and PS Vita was in full force. Nick Suttner from Sony was on hand reppin' Vita and indie games pretty hard. Super nice guy.

Annnny way, There were 1-month ps+ membership promo cards lying around and I ended up with one that I don't need so here's a code for whomever wants it:

M6LP-RTN4-C3M3

Ha, I should've known at least one would end up on GAF. Anyhow, thanks! :)

B.O.O.M

Oh. Would like something new but if its something from a current IP i'm really hoping for something from Red Dead Redemption and not GTA. Probably in the minority on that one.

Can't go wrong with either of those options really

Personally I hope for San Andreas Stories...and I might be in the minority here but I hated chinatown wars. Would love a good ole Liberty City Stories like game instead.. Won't mind RDR either

Acid08

Banned
Hey quick question guys!

What's the status on downloadable PSP games on the Vita? Will all of them work if you transfer them from a PS3? Are there really only a select few available directly on the Vita store? Buying a Vita next month and want to play through P1 and P2 before P4G comes out :)

Thanks for your help!

Hey quick question guys!

What's the status on downloadable PSP games on the Vita? Will all of them work if you transfer them from a PS3? Are there really only a select few available directly on the Vita store? Buying a Vita next month and want to play through P1 and P2 before P4G comes out :)

Thanks for your help!

Sadly not all of them, but a good bunch work. At least in US I think all the Persona games are available.

I wonder if the revamped store in Oct will solve this.

Jawmuncher

Not sure, but if they are on the same PSN account, it could be that they don't like connecting for that reason.

LittleBigPlanet arrived yesterday, so I'm loving playing through that at the moment :D Borderlands 2 should arrive tomorrow, and my iPhone next week though so probably won't be playing handheld much until I go away for a few days at the end of the week.

Why do you have 2 vitas?Psn account problem or sonething?

The other is a friends.
So they have different accounts on them.
Probably should of stated that. Gonna try again today and see if anything changes.

Ponn

Banned
Can't go wrong with either of those options really

On second thought I retract my RDR suggestion. I started thinking of all the touch and gyro/motion stuff they might try to shoehorn in.

"Twirl your vita over your head like a lasso and throw it"

"put your hand over the touchscreen and get a real knife to play this mini game!"

"Put your vita in your pocket and draw it out at the count of three to win the duel!"

and gyro motion controls for the horses.

i'm half joking by the way, on most of that. I don't think Rockstar would be that bad unless they were doing it tongue in cheek style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom