• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drives me batty.

I really want to go all digital, but shit, the prices are insane.

I could grab Uncharted, Hot Shots Golf, and Gravity Rush for $40 right now from Walmart, but on PSN it would cost what, more than $90.

Bleh.

Edit: Oh man, from the Joe Danger 2 to PS3 thread:

Sean Murray on September 26th, 2012 at 9:03 am said:

One thing at a time! We’re working exceptionally hard on the PS3 version right now.

The Vita is a beautiful machine though… isn’t it?

xclaw

Man, I'm so torn on picking up a 32GB card and going mainly digital but the prices of the games is the largest turn off. I can basically get physical copies of all the games for less than the price of the memory card.

decisions decisions...

cjkeats

The pricing is the second most scary thing about the supposed "digital future' games are going. Valve got us spoiled. The most scary thing to me is the larger data sizes and lowering bandwidth caps.

I picked up a 16GB memory card last night to replace my 8GB. Now I got a Japanese account made for that and got some demos, and stuff. Thinking of buying a game or two but can't find anything interesting (That's easy to figure out anyways).

Man, I'm so torn on picking up a 32GB card and going mainly digital but the prices of the games is the largest turn off. I can basically get physical copies of all the games for less than the price of the memory card.

decisions decisions...

And you wouldn't be giving up your ability to sell them if you ever desired to either.
When I'm done with GR and Resistance from the Walmart sale, I'll be selling them and my cost for playing those games will probably be $0. Which is excellent.

Just drives me batty.

I really want to go all digital, but shit, the prices are insane.

I could grab Uncharted, Hot Shots Golf, and Gravity Rush for $40 right now from Walmart, but on PSN it would cost what, more than $90.

Bleh.

Edit: Oh man, from the Joe Danger 2 to PS3 thread:

I was going to say yay I hope that means a vita version but after being burnt by multiple other devs saying similar things I think I'll wait and see

The pricing is the second most scary thing about the supposed "digital future' games are going. Valve got us spoiled. The most scary thing to me is the larger data sizes and lowering bandwidth caps.

I picked up a 16GB memory card last night to replace my 8GB. Now I got a Japanese account made for that and got some demos, and stuff. Thinking of buying a game or two but can't find anything interesting (That's easy to figure out anyways).

Project Diva f is preeetty awesome, if you're into rhythm games. :3

MisterC20XX

Question for those of you who are currently PS+ members, do you get discounts on all games you buy on PSN or just new releases and specials? The optimist in me wonders if PS+ on Vita will help ease the pain of digital vs. retail prices.

Vitacat

decisions decisions...

I went thru a very difficult time making that decision. I am now all digital with a 32GB card.

Yes, the prices and loss of resale rights are hard to swallow. But in the end I'm happy with my decision. I cannot express how much better the experience is when you can freely move between every game and app on the Vita without switching carts or managing your cart collection.

Having said that, retail carts can be found for some insanely cheap prices. It depends on your priorities and the experience that makes you happiest. Digital should and could be MUCH better handled by Sony, the pricing should be FAR more reactive to the marketplace etc., but this is Sony, so we all know what we're dealing with going in.

In the end being all digital is pretty awesome. But you pay a hefty price, no doubt.

Never understood that opinion. Do people really think Sony don't care? It's not at all realistic that they would release a handheld which no doubt cost millions to create then less a year after its released not care about it anymore - especially when they are in financial trouble.

e3

zroid

Banned
Hmm they should maybe consider to bring only the Vita version of God Eater 2 over to the west.

That would be great for Sony, but if Namco were going to release one version, I don't know why they wouldn't release both. They have no stake in the success of their games on Vita over PSP.

Maybe if SCEA were willing to publish and localize the game in lieu of an unwilling Namco. But let's be real. SCEA.

cjkeats

Project Diva f is preeetty awesome, if you're into rhythm games. :3

This was the first game I went looking for once I got into the JP PSN. It's roughly $60 though, which is awfully expensive fro a game that's you have to go though a hassle to change memory cards just to play.
I got the trail of it and like it, still can't figure out what button to press for the stars though. Touch didn't seem to work unless I'm not touching in time.

Anyone know if that k-on! psp game is there? I spent an hour trying to decipher the JP keyboard and search for it but all I found were avatars and themes.

Question for those of you who are currently PS+ members, do you get discounts on all games you buy on PSN or just new releases and specials? The optimist in me wonders if PS+ on Vita will help ease the pain of digital vs. retail prices.

We get discounts on mostly new releases but also random older games each week too

Takao

Banned
◆マーベラスAQLインタビュー
 H SCEJさんからラブコールを受けたのも参入を決めた理由の1つ 
 K 担当者がラブコールいっぱい送ってよかった
 H VITAは客から見てかっこいいけど遠い存在に感じてると思う。弊社のゲームがきっかけなれば
 ヴァルハラは7人vs7人入り乱れて戦う、SCEJさんの協力でたくさん人数出せた
 カグラはいろいろなものの限界に挑んでいる
 朧村正はVITAならすごく綺麗に表示できる
 Qプレイコミュの意見をすべて見ているそうですが?
 K はい。ときどき心が折れそうになる
   ユーザーさんを「すごい」!」「おもしろい!」といわせたいという気持ちがモチベーションになっている

◆マーベラスAQLインタビュー
 K 担当者がラブコールいっぱい送ってよかった
 カグラはいろいろなものの限界に挑んでいる
 朧村正はVITAならすごく綺麗に表示できる
 Qプレイコミュの意見をすべて見ているそうですが?
 K はい。ときどき心が折れそうになる

Ok I'm gunna need a translation..

MisterC20XX

We get discounts on mostly new releases but also random older games each week too

Thanks, good to know.

◆マーベラスAQLインタビュー
 K 担当者がラブコールいっぱい送ってよかった
 カグラはいろいろなものの限界に挑んでいる
 朧村正はVITAならすごく綺麗に表示できる
 Qプレイコミュの意見をすべて見ているそうですが?
 K はい。ときどき心が折れそうになる

Um, Tak... care to help a brother out here?

Gamescom
TGS

E3 has been a lesser show for years now.

Whats a shame is i didnt even waste my time watching them. Figured i wouldn't miss much and anything big would be all over 1st page gaf...

Needless to say, wise choice was wise.

All im looking forward to is p4 as of now. I might grab LKS.

◆マーベラスAQLインタビュー
 K 担当者がラブコールいっぱい送ってよかった
 カグラはいろいろなものの限界に挑んでいる
 朧村正はVITAならすごく綺麗に表示できる
 Qプレイコミュの意見をすべて見ているそうですが?
 K はい。ときどき心が折れそうになる

Marvelous AQL ◆ Interview
One of the reasons I decided to enter was also received from Mr. H SCEJ Rabukoru
K was the person in charge may send full Rabukoru
I think I have felt the presence H VITA distant but cool look from the customer. If games of chance will be our
Valhalla has put out a lot of people fight vs7 seven people in disarray, with the cooperation of Mr. SCEJ
Kagura is pushing the envelope of various things
Oboro Muramasa can be displayed very beautiful if VITA
I heard all looking at the opinions of the Q community play?
Yes K. Sometimes become so broken heart
Feeling of want to say! "Interesting"! "" Wow "the San user is a motivation

I have 2 more memory cards, is it worth creating a JP account and buying project diva f?
It depends. The game is great, but do you want to go through the hassle of switching between your regular and JPN account just to play it?

This was the first game I went looking for once I got into the JP PSN. It's roughly $60 though, which is awfully expensive fro a game that's you have to go though a hassle to change memory cards just to play.
I got the trail of it and like it, still can't figure out what button to press for the stars though. Touch didn't seem to work unless I'm not touching in time.
It's a great game, but yeah, if you buy it digitally when you're not from that country, it really is a bit of a hassle. As for the stars, you need to touch and drag the screen. Sorta like a DJ scratching records, you know?

◆マーベラスAQLインタビュー
 K 担当者がラブコールいっぱい送ってよかった
 カグラはいろいろなものの限界に挑んでいる
 朧村正はVITAならすごく綺麗に表示できる
 Qプレイコミュの意見をすべて見ているそうですが?
 K はい。ときどき心が折れそうになる
I presume this is about Marvelous and their Vita titles?

So i just played the demo of silent hill¦ book of memories.....What is this exactly? I go in expecting a survival horror and end up playing a dungeon crawler?

Not read up on this before so had no idea.

MisterC20XX

I was watching a Japanese Vita gameplay video and noticed a game--I believe it was Gundam Seed Battle Destiny--had a mixture of Japanese and English on in-game screens, alerts, etc. I'm guessing most games are fully Japanese, but are there games someone not familiar with the Japanese language could actually play?

There should have been no psp version in the first place and sony shouldn't have ported hotshots 6 to the ps3.

Hotshots on the PS3 isn't going to mitigate sales from Vita. People who wanted to play it are not going to spend $250 to have Hot Shots on the go. If they make the saves transfer, a la MGS HD or BBCSE, they'll probably get ADDITIONAL sales on the PS3 from people who own the Vita game; play at home on your big screen, upload your save data, take it with you... that's Sony's marketing point with the Vita anyway, it seems.

Now I think your stance on God Eater 2 is much more realistic, except Namco (or whoever it is that publishes God Eater) knows the sales numbers and userbase statistics and don't think their game will sell well enough if marketed ONLY to Vita owners. So if the development cost for making both versions is low, it makes sense to do both to get more sales, at least for this iteration.

That would be great for Sony, but if Namco were going to release one version, I don't know why they wouldn't release both. They have no stake in the success of their games on Vita over PSP.

Maybe if SCEA were willing to publish and localize the game in lieu of an unwilling Namco. But let's be real. SCEA.

Pretty much what I said. And yeah. SCEA is pretty much answer for why anything that would make sense *isn't* happening on the Vita.

I was watching a Japanese Vita gameplay video and noticed a game--I believe it was Gundam Seed Battle Destiny--had a mixture of Japanese and English on in-game screens, alerts, etc. I'm guessing most games are fully Japanese, but are there games someone not familiar with the Japanese language could actually play?

Hatsune Miku PDf, y u no own it!

Sid

◆マーベラスAQLインタビュー
 K 担当者がラブコールいっぱい送ってよかった
 カグラはいろいろなものの限界に挑んでいる
 朧村正はVITAならすごく綺麗に表示できる
 Qプレイコミュの意見をすべて見ているそうですが?
 K はい。ときどき心が折れそうになる
Hmmm......interesting?

Sid

Hotshots on the PS3 isn't going to mitigate sales from Vita. People who wanted to play it are not going to spend $250 to have Hot Shots on the go. If they make the saves transfer, a la MGS HD or BBCSE, they'll probably get ADDITIONAL sales on the PS3 from people who own the Vita game; play at home on your big screen, upload your save data, take it with you... that's Sony's marketing point with the Vita anyway, it seems.

Now I think your stance on God Eater 2 is much more realistic, except Namco (or whoever it is that publishes God Eater) knows the sales numbers and userbase statistics and don't think their game will sell well enough if marketed ONLY to Vita owners. So if the development cost for making both versions is low, it makes sense to do both to get more sales, at least for this iteration.If sony can't produce system sellers themselves they should be acquired especially when the vita is selling so terribly.

Pretty much what I said. And yeah. SCEA is pretty much answer for why anything that would make sense *isn't* happening on the Vita.
Hotshots adds to the exclusive library of a system which needs every reason to sell that it can get,also the systen won't be $250 forever and as for god eater 2 sony should have moneyhatted that to keep it exclusive to the vita same for hatsune miku.

daoster

Hotshots adds to the exclusive library of a system which needs every reason to sell that it can get,also the systen won't be $250 forever and as for god eater 2 sony should have moneyhatted that to keep it exclusive to the vita same for hatsune miku.

Personally, I don't think Hot Shots is as big of a deal, as it will have been almost 1 year since the Vita release in Japan.

The rest, I agree with you though. Up Ports of PSP games and Down Ports of PS3 games will not help move Vitas significantly, not to mention, these PSP-HD games on the Vita won't be able to take full advantage of the hardware because...well...they're PSP games.

kiyomi

Chances of a US release?

Also, can someone learn me on the region free gaming of Vita? I want to buy the EU New Little King's Story cart (and wouldn't mind Hatsune Miku), but I don't get how DLC and my memory card would work. D:

DLC wouldn't work.

Memory card - what's the problem? Your account happens to be [whatever region] and the game happens to be a different [whatever region]. No problem there.

Personally, I don't think Hot Shots is as big of a deal, as it will have been almost 1 year since the Vita release in Japan.

The rest, I agree with you though. Up Ports of PSP games and Down Ports of PS3 games will not help move Vitas significantly, not to mention, these PSP-HD games on the Vita won't be able to take full advantage of the hardware because...well...they're PSP games.

Kinda off topic but speaking of psp-hd, what happened to the plan to hd..ify some psp games? They announced the monster hunter one, metal gear was done by konami and... That's it?

zroid

Banned
Also, can someone learn me on the region free gaming of Vita? I want to buy the EU New Little King's Story cart (and wouldn't mind Hatsune Miku), but I don't get how DLC and my memory card would work. D:

if you want to get DLC, you'd have to buy a new memory card and get an EU PSN account.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
DLC wouldn't work.

Memory card - what's the problem? Your account happens to be [whatever region] and the game happens to be a different [whatever region]. No problem there.

OK - I just simply don't know, which is why I asked. So I can play any games I want from any region on my US PSN ID, but I simply cannot access DLC unless it happens to come over to the US?

if you want to get DLC, you'd have to buy a new memory card and get an EU PSN account.

EU game playing on my US memory card is OK, and DLC would be OK if it came to US PSN, right?

Obviously, I'm very lost on this region free stuff and how it translates between stores/regions/etc

Sid

The reason i said hotshots is because it already sold well when many vita titles are not selling well and would have been one of the reasons people would have picked up a vita along with the other games they wanted when they could afford the system.

Takao

Banned
Kinda off topic but speaking of psp-hd, what happened to the plan to hd..ify some psp games? They announced the monster hunter one, metal gear was done by konami and... That's it?

They're Japan-only. Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce 2, K-On, and a few others have since been released.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
OK - I just simply don't know, which is why I asked. So I can play any games I want from any region on my US PSN ID, but I simply cannot access DLC unless it happens to come over to the US?
You can't access the EU DLC on your NA account because you would need to get to the EU store.

Maybe the NA DLC will be region free and work on the EU cart but I doubt it.

zroid

Banned
EU game playing on my US memory card is OK, and DLC would be OK if it came to US PSN, right?

You can definitely play any game card with any memory card, that's no problem. But if you own an EU copy of the game, you can only buy its DLC from the EU PSN store. So that's not gonna fly, unless you make an EU PSN account (and you'd need a second memory card for that).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You can definitely play any game card with any memory card, that's no problem. But if you own an EU copy of the game, you can only buy its DLC from the EU PSN store. So that's not gonna fly, unless you make an EU PSN account (and you'd need a second memory card for that).

Ah OK - so there's still SOME region locking? As in, I can play the EU cart, but I can't access DLC for the game UNLESS I do so from the EU store? Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom