• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

Am I really the only person who actually likes the touch controls in LBPV?

No. I thought the touch controls were a nicely added part of the game that added even more complexity to the game. :x The rear-touchpad implementation though, that's another story.

zroid

Banned

I think they are not without merit. The touch mechanics are implemented in some creative ways that I cannot with good conscience call gimmickry.

Unfortunately I think it's less the design than the concept I take issue with. I find rear touch pretty repulsive and annoying, even when the ideas are good. And front touch, while less of a pain in my rear, still demands I take my hands off the buttons and cover up the screen, which flies in the face of how I want to play a game like LBP.

Tarsier did the best they could with the tools they were given. But there's just no helping it when you've got shit tools, in my opinion.

EDIT: And don't mistake me, I don't have a problem with front touch per se. It's when you combine it with standard controls that things start to go awry.

OmegaZero

It'd be great to have better shoulder buttons.
Sure, they look cool, but I would like for them to not have to be pressed down so far to register.

EDIT: And the speakers. I have no idea who thought that would be a smart design choice. Maybe they didn't have room anywhere else or something, but I don't know or care.

Carl

So how do you guys think Sony could improve the vita for a future hardware iteration?

I'm thinking make it slightly smaller, 8-16gb flash memory onboard, video out for press, and obviously the usual cost cutting of the insides

Can't really think of anything i'd like to see improved.

zroid

Banned
So how do you guys think Sony could improve the vita for a future hardware iteration?

I'm thinking make it slightly smaller, 8-16gb flash memory onboard, video out for press, and obviously the usual cost cutting of the insides

There are plenty of things on the software side I would like changed, but the hardware itself is OK. In fact, I would prefer they cut back on cost as much as possible rather than make "improvements" such as those you describe. Scrap the OLED if necessary, just make this thing as cheap as is feasible.

MisterC20XX

I love 'em. To me these are the first touch controls that don't feel like a tacked-on afterthought. Unlike many other touch control add-ons I think they actually make sense and are rarely obtrusive.

a) This is correct.
b) A dedicated memory card for each region would be enough. Though the placement of your bubbles will be reset if you eject the card, and you have to do system set up all over again.

Just note, this is just for PSN stuff. You can import physical games and play them without issue unless they have a PSN component (DLC, or online play).

Thanks everyone. I'll use separate cards. I hate having to use a separate card for FF1/2, when i have 3-9 on the same card. (same deal with mgs, where i'd have to get and put mgs:po on a separate card).

Also thanks for the bubble placement. I thought i was going crazy, it seems i am not crazy after all. What a weird fucking idea not to save the placement on the card itself. Sony, sony..

Quick extra question:

is there no way to understand where psvita games data live (save games/dlc)? I notice that the physical games you own are present on each card. So far I put all my saves on the same card, but I could see myself getting confused very soon.

Carl

God, that other Vita thread.

"IT HAS NO GAMES EXCEPT FOR ALL THOSE GAMES I REFUSE TO BUY, I'M NOT BUYING ANY OF THE GAMES ON THE SYSTEM THEREFORE IT HAS NO GAMES. NAME SOME GAMES FOR IT EXCEPT ALL OF THE GAMES IT HAS."

supported with one game per year that is
tumblr_lrlks8oItp1qefwllo1_500.gif

COMEDY IS GREAT WHEN IT'S TRUE

spats

Gaf's Vita negativity is so infectious. :(

The game I'm most looking forward to at the moment is the Vita version of WRC3. I really hope it's not shit and that it comes out next month. Checked some pc gameplay and it looked sweeet.

Twinduct

Christ that thread just derailed into something retarded. It's honestly as if some people just plain hate the vita. I can get it when someone is passively ignoring it or somewhat, but this is borderline on hate!

I don't understand the blatant Vita trolling, it's one thing to be critical of Vita, it's another to just post mockingly. Case in point: the new "10 year support" thread.

Noi

I don't understand the blatant Vita trolling, it's one thing to be critical of Vita, it's another to just post mockingly. Case in point: the new "10 year support" thread.

The first page of the thread is basically "who can make the funniest Vita is dead joke". It's kind of annoying.

OmegaZero

I try to go out of my way to avoid those threads. Let's not bring them here. :/
I can see where both sides are coming from, but in the end it always devolves into squabbles about semantics and opinions.

Twinduct

Yep, GAF went nuts.
It was a fair price in comparison with the 3DS at that time.

Never really understood where the turning point came from. The prices for the mem cards & etc was known at that point. But somewhere between the announcement and like a week later it went from 'Really decent price point' to 'DOA!'.

The Vita does need a way to disable the back touch per game, it is really annoying in Motorstorm RC, for instance. I keep accidently flipping the menu panels.

Multiplayer LBP is really insane. I joined someone and got slapped around by him (how did he do that?), then I was in a rollercoaster level with a number of people which turned pretty insane with stickers flying around. Next thing someone ends up in my pod without knowing how and follows me around some user levels that we both couldn't figure out. Really funny stuff.

Just give me two additional shoulder buttons and I'm fine.

It's a pain trying to play Marvel on that thing.

Chesskid1

Banned
back touch will always be crappy to me because you have to figure out where you are touching when you use backtouch before you can do what you want.

that alone makes it useless to me, from a fun/smoothness(?) perspective. i guess it could be okay as an extra button but i havent played a game like that.

spats

The same thing happened with Gran Turismo 5 and Forza 3, people flinging shit both ways, constantly. Ultimately bish just made a garbage dump of a thread for all the shit flinging so the other threads stayed moderately clean. Maybe they could make a 'lol Vita is a stillborn failure'-thread so all the game-specific and Vita announcement threads would remain readable. I don't really know if that would work.

Multiplayer LBP is really insane. I joined someone and got slapped around by him (how did he do that?), then I was in a rollercoaster level with a number of people which turned pretty insane with stickers flying around. Next thing someone ends up in my pod without knowing how and follows me around some user levels that we both couldn't figure out. Really funny stuff.
You can slap someone by holding the L button and moving either of the analog sticks so that your sack boy's arm moves from facing in to outstretched. Eg if you wanted to slap with the left arm you would use the left stick and move it from the right quickly to the left.

Mzo

Man, that 10 years thread =[

I think some people get off on hoping that the systems they don't own fail. It's kind of weird.

Never really understood where the turning point came from. The prices for the mem cards & etc was known at that point. But somewhere between the announcement and like a week later it went from 'Really decent price point' to 'DOA!'.

It was something like:
"$250 for a Vita? Wow, amazing price!"

to

"There is no memory card bundled, so the real price is $270? Greedy Sony!"

Still now a lot of people in GAF think that bundling a memory card would magically increase the sales.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Improving the PSV : release a Basestation

all it needs is to take the docking station - expand it out to have HDMI and a 2.5 inch HDD expansion dock/USB, and a vita memory card read/writer.

Once connected to the Vita you could theoretically download games through the vita to the HDD dock.

So you can have a "companion" small form piece of hardware that you can take on your travels that acts as a base that could contain all your games, music, videos, etc. from which you can also copy over or watch/play on a TV.

... okay, probably not THAT much appeal of such a device, but i'd be all over it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Somewhere, somebody is masturbating to the thought of a prematurely discontinued Vita.

You mean it isn't you?

Oh wait, you're just masturbating

All the talk about lol console ports fails to mention that it's a repeat of the PSP1 situation. And you know what? I loved the PSP console ports (well some of them) to death. So I'm completely fine if the system becomes another port machine and doesn't get exclusives for me. (YEAH BABY!)

Still now a lot of people in GAF think that bundling a memory card would magically increase the sales.

It would. I didn't get the system before August because:

-No memory card included
-No games I wanted outside of Marvel 3 at the time
-No PSX playback

Two of those boxes were ticked off around August (well, September for one with LBP PSP2), the first one still hasn't been ticked off and I can tell you it IS a factor for some of us. The only reason it wasn't a big deal for me was because I got a 4 gig stick included with a starter pack that I flipped around for a 32 gig stick.

But the price of the system for the hardware plus 32 gig stick is $350 which is nearly as much as a PS3 with 300+Gig harddrive. What makes it a steal in price compared to just getting a PS3?

You can slap someone by holding the L button and moving either of the analog sticks so that your sack boy's arm moves from facing in to outstretched. Eg if you wanted to slap with the left arm you would use the left stick and move it from the right quickly to the left.

Ah, I tried that and it didn't work, need more practice hehehe.

Do we know if RE/2/3(Nemesis) will be arriving on PSN/Vita, for NA, to coincide with the RE6 launch on console?

I reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllly, really want to go back and replay these originals.

I no longer have the PS1, nor do i have a PS3....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom