• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
This is really stupid

51tWsfcAYRL.jpg

41lk4GHIrHL.jpg

And in general using Sixaxis as the steering wheel in a handheld is stupid because you'll tilt the screen not just the controller like on Wii or PS3 and will ruin your race because of that(and yes it was stupid gameplay decision in Gravity Rush).

on the other hand ..I want this card holder

Vitacat

So, what's the Vita GAF concensus on Vita Ridge Racer with the DLC's?

I know the base game is limited, but after a few DLC packs, does it become something worth having, or did Namco simply fail all around? Does it even come close to PSP RR after DLC's in terms of content? And perhaps most importantly, which DLC packs are needed to get there?

Skyzard

Banned
@Totobeni Yes..only really suited the wiiu controller..for mario kart.....as my friends were so bad they needed a handicap. That card holder is pretty cool, need one myself.

@Vitacat RR is fun with the DLC, 9 tracks iirc with the reverse, decent number of cars and too much music. SP is not as polished but multiplayer is decent. There isn't a decent campaign mode nor much offline replayability other then some spot races but the game is very fun and decent online. Glad I picked it up tbh. The reason SP is not polished is the campaign is basically keep playing to unlock some items (which are alright) but say things like duel race....only has 3 of the maps with their reverses programmed in the duel - none of the 6 dlc maps. You can't save peoples' ghosts for offline racing either so you need to be connected online to have fun with it unless you just want to play a spot race (like I usually end up doing).

so basically buy if you are a fan of RR, but it may leave you wanting more like RR2 psp. Still, great gameplay on vita.

Did anyone record the PSO2 footage from Sega's stream? Or is it anywhere on the webz? Sigh I really want to rewatch it, I seriously hope it comes stateside.

Skyzard

Banned

Vitacat

@Totobeni Yes..only really suited the wiiu controller..for mario kart.....as my friends were so bad they needed a handicap.

@Vitacat RR is fun with the DLC, 9 tracks iirc with the reverse, decent number of cars and too much music. SP is not as polished but multiplayer is decent. There isn't a decent campaign mode nor much offline replayability other then some spot races but the game is very fun and decent online. Glad I picked it up tbh. The reason SP is not polished is the campaign is basically keep playing to unlock some items (which are alright) but say things like duel race....only has 3 of the maps with their reverses programmed in the duel - none of the 6 dlc maps. You can't save peoples' ghosts for offline racing either so you need to be connected online to have fun with it unless you just want to play a spot race (like I usually end up doing).

Hmm, thanks.

I'm tempted out of nostalgia for RR PSP, which was nothing short of glorious when PSP was launched. Then again, I really don't want to reward Namco for making a broken mess of an iconic title. But if PSN ever offers it on sale, like maybe $20 with ALL DLC included, maybe I'll get it. For now I think I'll save the money for NFSMW.

Massa

So, what's the Vita GAF concensus on Vita Ridge Racer with the DLC's?

I know the base game is limited, but after a few DLC packs, does it become something worth having, or did Namco simply fail all around? Does it even come close to PSP RR after DLC's in terms of content? And perhaps most importantly, which DLC packs are needed to get there?

I'm sort of interested as well, although it looks like the perfect game to go F2P / free for Playstation Plus so I won't be buying it anytime soon.

Fisico

OH, I forgot about Abyss 3D.
I even own that game, which makes this more sad

Apparently that actually did fairly well for Bamco in the West.

THERE IS HOPE

I dunno about America but regarding the "fairly well" sales in Europe it was because they were expecting it to sells like shit (and printed probably less than 10k copies) and it sold a bit more than that, that's all there is to it.

They don't have any plan of releasing Innocence R in the West and i'm afraid they never will.
Now for the Tales Series on Vita we know for sure that the potential remake of Tales of the Tempest and Tales of Hearts have been put on hold (or maybe even canned) but there's this Radiant Mythology 4 they should probably release in 2013 or 2014 (mostly depends of what Alfa System is doing right now), if they go for a 2013 schedule i'd say going for a PSP/Vita game like God Eater 2 is what should be done.

zroid

Banned
I dunno about America but regarding the "fairly well" sales in Europe it was because they were expecting it to sells like shit (and printed probably less than 10k copies) and it sold a bit more than that, that's all there is to it.

That's what I meant. It exceeded expectations. When games are produced on the cheap like that, they can still be profitable even with low sales figures.

(but, admittedly, this was a relatively quick and dirty job since the translation was already done)

...old school TOM players. I played Montezuma Blitz for half an hour, spent $20 on the game, hated myself for it, and then deleted the game and haven't redownloaded it since. It's essentially the devil.

$20? Damn!

I heard it was bad before the patch or something (I only started after the most recent patch update) and I've not spent a dime. It's pretty fun so far.

Skyzard

Banned
Hmm, thanks.

I'm tempted out of nostalgia for RR PSP, which was nothing short of glorious when PSP was launched. Then again, I really don't want to reward Namco for making a broken mess of an iconic title. But if PSN ever offers it on sale, like maybe $20 with ALL DLC included, maybe I'll get it. For now I think I'll save the money for NFSMW.

Definitely, sound logic. I'd do the same. I got into it after RR on psp and don't regret it tbh (I did get a decent discount on it through another namco game though), - Like I edited in earlier...it's a bit sticky:

Buy if you are a fan of RR, but it may leave you wanting more like considering to pick up RR2 psp for the extra maps and campagin. Still, great gameplay on vita. Still a good game and a great engine for ridge racer so you'll want to have it if you're a fan.

It's good but you have to make your own fun by dipping into the various modes, it doesn't hold your hand and tell you to play this then that.

Skyzard

Banned
I know Gravity Rush got a lot of praise from here after it's release, but looking back is it worth getting now? I am torn between LBP Vita and GR.

Both worth having, grab LBP for now to jump in with us. Although if you get GR by the time you finish it LBP will have better community maps...can't go wrong with either though and should try both.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I know Gravity Rush got a lot of praise from here after it's release, but looking back is it worth getting now? I am torn between LBP Vita and GR.
Definitely go with LBP first. It pulled me away from GR pretty easily (though I will be going back to it shortly).

Koroviev

Unless you're interested in the community aspect of LBP, I would go with GR. Amazing soundtrack and charming art direction.

maverick40

Unless you're interested in the community aspect of LBP, I would go with GR. Amazing soundtrack and charming art direction.

i found the problem with gravity rush was the lack of replay value. At least with lbp you can play online with other people and over 7 million levels!

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
$20? Damn!

I heard it was bad before the patch or something (I only started after the most recent patch update) and I've not spent a dime. It's pretty fun so far.
I don't know if it was bad or not, just that I was weak and gave in to temptation. I'm a broken man.

kiyomi

I know Gravity Rush got a lot of praise from here after it's release, but looking back is it worth getting now?

Yes, absolutely!

I have to decide whether I want LBP or not as well. I'm not a huge fan of 1 or 2 buuut I like the idea of LBP.. hmm hmm.

Or I could just buy Disgaea 3 and get hopelessly addicted. :(
:D

Shinriji

For the new page

VITA GAME LIST

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkcebbnqCi8DdHJoQVpnenBDQldmNlM2aFlxd2FWaEE&pli=1#gid=0

VITABROS POPULARITY TOP 10

1. Little Big Planet PS Vita
2. Motorstorm RC
3. Gravity Rush
4. Sound Shapes
5. Uncharted: Golden Abyss / Lumines: Eletronic Symphony
6. Hot Shots Golf: World Invitation
6. Wipeout 2048 / Rayman Origins
7. Tales of Space /
8. MGS HD Collection / Mortal Kombat / Super Stardust Delta
9. Hustle Kings / UMC3 / Unit 13 / Zen Pinbal 2
10. Hatsune Miku Project f / Resistance Burning Skies / Treasure Park / Virtua Tennis 4

Apath

For the new page

VITA GAME LIST

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkcebbnqCi8DdHJoQVpnenBDQldmNlM2aFlxd2FWaEE&pli=1#gid=0

2. Motorstorm RC
3. Gravity Rush
4. Sound Shapes
7. Tales of Space /
10. Hatsune Miku Project f / Resistance Burning Skies / Treasure Park / Virtua Tennis 4
Is that a spreadsheet of what everyone owns? So like, if I wanted to add my name to Wipeout 2048, I just click on the cell and add a coma plus my PSN?

Kazerei

Banned

I feel like I am becoming the Totobeni of Gravity Rush, but I did not enjoy GR. Definitely get LBP. Even if you stick to single player, it's more fun and more content.

Noi

For the new page

VITA GAME LIST

2. Motorstorm RC
3. Gravity Rush
4. Sound Shapes
7. Tales of Space /

Free games shouldn't be counted for popularity, that's basically cheating!

I just want Gravity Rush at #2.

Ugh, so this is off-topic, but I'm watching The Walking Dead and really hating myself and the show.

I have to decide whether I want LBP or not as well. I'm not a huge fan of 1 or 2 buuut I like the idea of LBP.. hmm hmm.

Or I could just buy Disgaea 3 and get hopelessly addicted. :(
:D
Disgaea 3 will last forever and a half but LBP lets you play with others.

i still need to play d3 since i picked that up at launch on both consoles but I just don't like d3 =/

Free games shouldn't be counted for popularity, that's basically cheating!

I just want Gravity Rush at #2.

i want it at #2 too

kiyomi

Ugh, so this is off-topic, but I'm watching The Walking Dead and really hating myself and the show.

Disgaea 3 will last forever and a half but LBP lets you play with others.

i still need to play d3 since i picked that up at launch on both consoles but I just don't like d3 =/

i want it at #2 too
Never watched TWD but goddamn the Telltale game is awesome. And would be great on Vita, actually. If they ever do a season 2 I hope it comes to Vita.

Why not? What's wrong with it?

lunch said:
I actively dislike the first game and the PSP game but am loving the Vita version. Take the plunge.
I am definitely maybe considering it.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

Why? I've only read the first trade and then promptly stopped since I hate the art.

I'm still waiting for Disgaea 4 to get a port. It's hard to buy Disgaea 3 when I know there's a new iteration that'll (likely) get a portable release.

zroid

Banned
I feel like I am becoming the Totobeni of Gravity Rush

I love this.

I don't think you're at that level though; Gravity Rush has a lot of detractors, even in here.
I've only played the demo so far, which was pretty bad, so I didn't buy it. But people swear the game is way better than the demo, so I'll give it a chance when it's cheaper.

Never watched TWD but goddamn the Telltale game is awesome. And would be great on Vita, actually. If they ever do a season 2 I hope it comes to Vita.

Why not? What's wrong with it?
It's so dumb. *VAGUE TWD TV SERIES SPOILERS*
My favorite character was just killed off by my least favorite. =(
But Telltale's game really is great and I would double dip for a Vita version. Plus a season 2 is already confirmed. :D

As for why I don't like D3, it's not the gameplay. That's regular Disgaea fare and it's great. But the story was just... so boring, and the main cast of characters aren't exactly great when compared to the other games. I could only really liked Mr. Champloo from what I played, and I didn't even meet some of the cast yet(Sapphire, Salvatore, Master Big Star, etc.)

Why? I've only read the first trade and then promptly stopped since I hate the art.

I'm still waiting for Disgaea 4 to get a port. It's hard to buy Disgaea 3 when I know there's a new iteration that'll (likely) get a portable release.
If you're talking TWD, I'm talking about the TV series. The game is great and I have yet to read the comics. If you're talking Disgaea art, it's touch and go. I personally love it~ <3

I couldn't buy a D4 Vita fast enough. Valvatorez is easily my favorite main protagonist/poster boy out of the 4 Disgaea games.
Rumor has it the Vita version of NFS has slipped to Q1 2013. :( I'm doing some digging but no confirmation yet.
We haven't gotten much info on even the console versions, but I guess that's how EA rolls... we'll see what happens. If it makes the game/port better, Criterion can take all the time they need.

No need for a speedy release, EA!

We can wait forever. And ever.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Apath

I love this.

I don't think you're at that level though; Gravity Rush has a lot of detractors, even in here.
I've only played the demo so far, which was pretty bad, so I didn't buy it. But people swear the game is way better than the demo, so I'll give it a chance when it's cheaper.
I think the game is pretty great *shrug*. Definitely not for everybody though.

zroid

Banned
I think the game is pretty great *shrug*. Definitely not for everybody though.

When I do buy it, I really hope I love it, because it was my most anticipated Vita title for a while. Then the mixed reviews started streaming out and the poor (IMO) demo was released, and I flip-flopped.

Koroviev

i found the problem with gravity rush was the lack of replay value. At least with lbp you can play online with other people and over 7 million levels!

If it's anything like Sound Shapes, then most of the user-generated content will be utter garbage.

Kazerei

Banned
I love this.

I'll say one positive thing about GR. It's fun to fly around the city and explore, which the demo doesn't let you do. But once you've had enough exploration, you're left with the okay platforming and terrible combat.

zroid

Banned
Even if only 1% is good it will give you thousands of levels :)

Is LBPV backwards compatible with LBP's and LBP2's UGC? Like 2 was with 1.

Not to be a downer, but I have less confidence in the community this time since it's a Vita game
which will optimistically sell 100k copies :(

spannicus

Has Kojima even responded to the ZOE vita tweets. I have been asking him also. Does he ever answer his fans or does he only tell us what food and music he enjoys?

zroid

Banned
Has Kojima even responded to the ZOE vita tweets. I have been asking him also. Does he ever answer his fans or does he only tell us what food and music he enjoys?

Just looking through his timeline, it appears he only replies to people from his Japanese account.

Koroviev

Even if only 1% is good it will give you thousands of levels :)

I find it kind of tedious to look for halfway-decent levels in Sound Shapes. I've played some very nice levels, but it's much easier to just let other people trudge through the content and identify the few standouts.

Takao

Banned

Only talks about food, music, movies, friends and retweets of press related to KojiPro works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom