• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita TV JP Import Thread | There's still a life after OLED

Tohsaka

Kind of glad that I didn't bother importing now that the account issues have come to light. Hopefully it gets released in the west soon, I really want one.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Got mine also. Hooking it up in a sec lunch first. Gonna be playing God Eater 2 on it.
IgCGmYy.jpg
Still cant believe how friggin tiny this thing is.

Zoe

My quest in obtaining a working karaoke app is one step closer. They just released a vanilla-Vita Joysound app, and the samples work on my US Vita! I'm optimistic about the Vita TV app now.

Marche90

The Vita TV is looking for the Vita TV section when logging in to PSN. Since that section is not available in any country except for Japan, it returns with an error. Can confirm Persona 4 working on the device. The Vita TV section is by the way also available on the regular Vita xD no gravity rush for now.

Is that the NA version or the Japanese version? Also, can you try running a game that isn't officially supported? just to see what happens.

Kinda bummed that you can only use a Japanese PSN account... hopefully that is only temporary.

Just read this thread and noticed the region locking. That is extremely disappointing, I play through Persona 4 every christmas period and was hoping to play P4G on my 50" TV. Managed to cancel my order before Play Asia put it through, thanks for the heads up.

Looks like I won't be importing afterall hearing of the lock =/

Maybe if a future update changes it, or if we hear of a US release soon.

Jamix012

Can anyone answer the following questions possibly:
1) I'm not holding out hope, but we haven't had any concrete word on NA game cartridges? I asusme it's a no go, but any confirmation?
2) Is it still a pain to change accounts or is it more like the PSP/PS3?
3) Much harder to test obviously, but are there are games that seem compatitable with the Vita TV that aren't with the regular Vita?

Mk2020

Neo Member
i have order one from Play Asia. (Value Pack) Hope to get it next week. ^.^

Can you change the menus to english ?

if it comes out say in EU or usa we may be able to use the Firmware from that region to update it?

Parakeetman

Man had an odd situation where I had to unregister my Vita to get the PSV TV to get registered with my same PSN account. Thats a bit odd. You would think that it would recognize it as a separate device as in PSVTV and not another PSV. Am guessing that update above will fix it hopefully.

Still besides that it works great once everything is set up.

God Eater 2 looks fantastic!

Yes Boss!

That other thread got shut down

That is good. It was becoming a shit-fest. Hopefully this one doesn't devolve into a complaint thread about region-locking/restrictions.

Never mind: that thread is still alive.

Are you talking about this one? Made by Hori.

That is the one, yes. If it is by Hori then that makes me happy. Wish there was an official one but Hori is the second best option. I have the stand coming first as that shipped yesterday and my bundle just got processed by Tenso so that means I won't get the unit till Monday and will be looking at my stand all weekend :-(

Also, total for the bundle with EMS from amazon/tenso was only $177. Very inexpensive. Cheapest way to buy it

Can't wait for impressions!

Yes Boss!

Any reason they region locked this, Sony had been good on this front for a while now.

Not releases anywhere else in the world yet (not even announced). But expect a Q1-2 release anyways.

Most games need an update patch to run on Vita TV.

There is a segmented Vita TV store (or at least segmented in the background that filters working titles).

Vita proper already makes it hard/impossible to boot to multiple PSNs/Stores simultaneously.

----

This will most likely get released elsewhere...they already mentioned that they were surprised at the reaction of the West. I'd expect it will work then. Still expect the same account limiting that was on the Vita Proper.

Parakeetman

Any reason they region locked this, Sony had been good on this front for a while now.

The most obvious answer is because this was released for the Japanese market really. No other answer us here can give besides that.

Anything else is pure speculation at this point unfortunately.

This isnt the first time that Sony has released an accessory that was just for domestic use at this point in time. There was the Torne for the PS3 which do not believe was released in the West.

So, I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but it seems that remote play has been totally removed from the Vita TV. The update mentioned that it was adding PS4 support, but I can't find any way to use it. Is there something I'm not seeing, or did they actually block this until the PS4 releases in Japan?

Not releases anywhere else in the world yet (not even announced). But expect a Q1-2 release anyways.

Most games need an update patch to run on Vita TV.

There is a segmented Vita TV store (or at least segmented in the background that filters working titles).

Vita proper already makes it hard/impossible to boot to multiple PSNs/Stores simultaneously.

----

This will most likely get released elsewhere...they already mentioned that they were surprised at the reaction of the West. I'd expect it will work then. Still expect the same account limiting that was on the Vita Proper.

The most obvious answer is because this was released for the Japanese market really. No other answer us here can give besides that.

Anything else is pure speculation at this point unfortunately.

This isnt the first time that Sony has released an accessory that was just for domestic use at this point in time. There was the Torne for the PS3 which do not believe was released in the West.

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

That doesn't help me at all and has cost them a sale.

Having no announcements other than "we're looking into it after the surprising interest". means it won't be anytime soon and by the time it's released in NA, I'll have most likely bought a device for remote streaming. (My original thinking was I love my Vita and I'm going to end up buying a Roku or something for my bedroom, why don't I just import a VitaTV for a little more and get the extra features...)

Anyway, I still hope it does well... I just guess I won't be getting one anytime soon.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Cancelled my order yesterday, before the account issues came to light, because it looks like the thing only supports about 4 games. Way too finicky of a device for me to plunk down $100+ on.

Zoe

are we seriously ending day 1 with no Vita TV impressions?

:checks URL:
i'm on GAF right?

Parakeetman has posted a few comments.

Of course more feedback is always welcome, and I'm curious about the account switching process--particularly with regards to content on the internal memory. Someone could even test out different regions since it appears that HK is already supported, and I know several GAFfers created HK accounts back in the day.

Yes Boss!

i'm on GAF right?

I know, I'm dying to know how it upscales classic PSP games...things like Earth Defense...PC-Engine, and classic PS1 shooters. Is it equal to the triple...less lag, more lag, eyc? Does it take a stick via the USB? I wanna make it my Harmful Park player!

How does it react with the Framemeister, for example?

Does it have screws? I wanna open it up to see what is inside.

Need more impressions! Gonna be a long weekend wait for mine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Mine came today. I'm not too concerned about not being able to log into US account. I got it mainly to take over Nasne duty so I can stop running my old 20gb PS3 so much.

I wish they'd make a Europe compatible nasne. PlayTV did pretty well and I'd love a freeview or freesat nasne.

kick51

Banned
*sniffle*

they better not drag their feet on this thing, I really wanted to import!

this and FFX HD need some usa release dates before I...sit here and complain more

Parakeetman

i'm on GAF right?

There isnt much to say besides its a VITA that works on a large screen for the most part.

Tomorrow am getting a different capture hardware so will make some footage of the UI but seriously it looks like a Vita on a larger screen.

Not too sure what else can be said, since main difference is the functionality / navigation is all done through the controller and not having to mess with a touch screen at all. Works pretty good actually.

I know, I'm dying to know how it upscales classic PSP games...things like Earth Defense...PC-Engine, and classic PS1 shooters. Is it equal to the triple...less lag, more lag, eyc? Does it take a stick via the USB? I wanna make it my Harmful Park player!

How does it react with the Framemeister, for example?

Does it have screws? I wanna open it up to see what is inside.

Need more impressions! Gonna be a long weekend wait for mine.

If how it functions is the same as the Vita than games that dont support analog sticks wont be supported in the PSVTV also.

I got a bunch of PS1 games from the games archive on my Vita so can try to record kings field for example tomorrow. If everything works as planned.

Zoe

Not too sure what else can be said, since main difference is the functionality / navigation is all done through the controller and not having to mess with a touch screen at all. Works pretty good actually.

So is account switching the same where you have to restore the device?

Parakeetman

yes very true i do not want to brick it lol

found this video showing vita tv menus in english
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYM0fZwiSGQ

Its the same as a Vita where it has system language settings, but there are other menus / options which will only appear in Japanese depending. But for the standard functions it will be in the language you set it to, just like the Vita.

So is account switching the same where you have to restore the device?

Unfortunately I cannot confirm that for you as have not tried that / got an extra mem card which can be formatted then set to the US PSN store for example.

---

Also for those who have the device new, would suggest updating the Vita TV fully first before putting in your memory card just in case. The Vita TV wont be able to read your memory card anyways till it matches the same version as the data on the card itself.

The other bit is granted its easier to access the memory card this time around do not remove it while your Vita TV is in standby mode. Fully power off the Vita TV with the menu option then remove the memory card. Its the same for the Vita but figured would say this anyways.

Ty4on

Got mine also. Hooking it up in a sec lunch first. Gonna be playing God Eater 2 on it.

Still cant believe how friggin tiny this thing is.

Smartphone internals are tiny. This is the iPad air with a thin circuit board containing all the electronics.
tVQvayERBfCgAUcC-580x435.jpg

Parakeetman

Smartphone internals are tiny. This is the iPad air with a thin circuit board containing all the electronics.
tVQvayERBfCgAUcC-580x435.jpg

Its kinda funny how the wires make it look like an abomination lol. Kinda ruins the whole nice little package it is seeing all these cords hanging off of it.

Zoe

Unfortunately I cannot confirm that for you as have not tried that / got an extra mem card which can be formatted then set to the US PSN store for example.

Doesn't the thing have internal memory?

You can switch accounts without associating a memory card though, at least on a regular Vita. I was doing that last night when I was testing out the Joysound app.

Parakeetman

Doesn't the thing have internal memory?

You can switch accounts without associating a memory card though, at least on a regular Vita. I was doing that last night when I was testing out the Joysound app.

It does isnt it like 1GB or something?

Zafir

Can you use your vita memory card in the Vita TV or do you need another one and need to download everything again?

Parakeetman

Can you use your vita memory card in the Vita TV or do you need another one and need to download everything again?

You can use your Vita memory card, thats one of the main points of the Vita TV.

Though the VitaTV needs to be updated to the latest version before it will actually read from the memory card. Also good idea to have your memorycard updated to the latest version from your Vita also in preparation for use with the Vita TV.

1: Update Vita to latest version w/ mem card inside
2: Update VitaTV to latest version
3: Remove mem card from Vita and Insert into VitaTV
4: Check to see if all data is present
5: Play shit

*Edit

Reason why I say do all of the initial setup / updates without the mem card in it, is granted its hard to do unless you try, one doesnt want to format their card by "accident." Since there is an option that pops up saying basically "You can use this memory card in its current state if you format it. Would you like to format it?" sorta deal.

Zafir

You can use your Vita memory card, thats one of the main points of the Vita TV.

Though the VitaTV needs to be updated to the latest version before it will actually read from the memory card. Also good idea to have your memorycard updated to the latest version from your Vita also in preparation for use with the Vita TV.

1: Update Vita to latest version w/ mem card inside
2: Update VitaTV to latest version
3: Remove mem card from Vita and Insert into VitaTV
4: Check to see if all data is present
5: Play shit
Ah right cheers.

What happens if you put a memory card with a EU or NA account on then, it doesn't let you through?

Both of my cards are formatted to my EU account for the moment but I could swap one to my Jp account.

Parakeetman

Ah right cheers.

What happens if you put a memory card with a EU or NA account on then, it doesn't let you through?

Both of my cards are formatted to my EU account for the moment but I could swap one to my Jp account.

You will have to wait for one of the guys in one of the Western countries who has it to answer that unfortunately since am in Japan and I dont have a card thats formatted for the US PSN for example. Sorry cant be of much help with that question at this time.

Or someone else who does have a card set to the US / EU account.

Does anyone know if the 1080i output just applies to the vita games themselves? I wanted to get this for netflix/mp4 playing at 1080p of course. This thing looks pretty powerful, I mean a Roku can play video's at 1080p so this thing shouldn't have any problem doing that.

Top Bottom