• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita TV JP Import Thread | There's still a life after OLED

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oh, well that's good to know. It wasn't on the VitaTV compatibility list, so I thought that it wouldn't work.

Uh... yeah it is on the list of PSV TV compat software.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvitatv/game/psvitalist/

I don't really understand that, or their non-committal to a VitaTV NA/EU release. I have absolutely no desire to buy a Vita. None. Even though I really want to play P4G. But I would buy a VitaTV (along with P4G) in a heartbeat. Looks like I might have to end up importing.

My guess is that to make the PSV Tv worthwhile in the US / West they could be stuck in the process of trying to get contracts with digital contents holders. Similar to how Japan has a partnership with various companies for streaming media. With how the US / West is already more established in terms of digital content, it could be a little more difficult / expensive to secure contracts than domestically in Japan.

All speculation, but realistically thats what would make the most sense to me in terms of why they have not announced anything yet.

extralite

My guess is that to make the PSV Tv worthwhile in the US / West they could be stuck in the process of trying to get contracts with digital contents holders. Similar to how Japan has a partnership with various companies for streaming media. With how the US / West is already more established in terms of digital content, it could be a little more difficult / expensive to secure contracts than domestically in Japan.

All speculation, but realistically thats what would make the most sense to me in terms of why they have not announced anything yet.

It's another Vita, all necessary contracts should already be in place. The explanation is much simpler, Sony needs to focus on the PS4 in the West. The TV will be fine to launch later when the PS4 has a momentum going.

And they need to give Japan something exclusive (for now) to compensate for the late PS4 launch there. Something that might fit their taste better anyway.

This way both regions can feel special for getting something early.

It's another Vita, all necessary contracts should already be in place. The explanation is much simpler, Sony needs to focus on the PS4 in the West. The TV will be fine to launch later when the PS4 has a momentum going.

And they need to give Japan something exclusive (for now) to compensate for the late PS4 launch there. Something that might fit their taste better anyway.

This way both regions can feel special for getting something early.

The necessary contracts aren't in place, and aren't even close, as far as the Vita is concerned. If they released the VitaTV in the US, it'd be laughed out of town compared to things like Roku and AppleTV, and, hell, the amount of services that are Vita compatible is about the same as Chromecast at the moment, which is at least $60 cheaper. If they even only got it to the point where it had the PS3/4's multimedia apps, then it would be alright, but they are so sadly lacking with that that it isn't even funny.

crinale

The fact that PS4 is region-"locked" JPN account (which I guess it would be unlocked upon Feb, 2014) kinda ensures that Vita-TV's region locking should go away once it is released outside of Japan too.

Yes Boss!

Honest question, does Vita have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon?

I don't use the system much but if Vita TV comes over and it had those it should be fine. Seems like every system has them...even the Nintendo hardware.

Takao

Banned
Honest question, does Vita have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon?

I don't use the system much but if Vita TV comes over and it had those it should be fine. Seems like every system has them...even the Nintendo hardware.

Vita has Netflix and not much else. Hulu, Crackle, Crunchyroll, and some other apps were announced more than a year ago at this point and are still MIA.

Tain

Gotta wonder why only certain titles are supported. I'd probably get one if these if it weren't for that.

extralite

The necessary contracts aren't in place, and aren't even close, as far as the Vita is concerned. If they released the VitaTV in the US, it'd be laughed out of town compared to things like Roku and AppleTV, and, hell, the amount of services that are Vita compatible is about the same as Chromecast at the moment, which is at least $60 cheaper. If they even only got it to the point where it had the PS3/4's multimedia apps, then it would be alright, but they are so sadly lacking with that that it isn't even funny.

Sorry, I was under the impression the Vita was primarily a device to play Playstation games. Which neither of the devices you name do.

And Sony has launched plenty of devices too early, i. e. at a high price inhibiting growth of software library or without the full feature set (PS4 doesn't have Gaikai yet for example).

Takao

Banned
Gotta wonder why only certain titles are supported. I'd probably get one if these if it weren't for that.

Because they use touch, gyro, and/or the camera which are things that can't really be replicated by a controller.

BOTEC

Because they use touch, gyro, and/or the camera which are things that can't really be replicated by a controller.

Which are also 100% superfluous in most cases. The camera support in Hot Shots Golf is something that I've never felt the need to use, so I won't miss it much when I load it up on a device that doesn't support it. Nothing of value would be lost, and it irks me that Sony disagrees.

(Also, touch is emulated by the dual shock controller fairly efficiently, so I bet we can take it off the table.)

Sorry, I was under the impression the Vita was primarily a device to play Playstation games. Which neither of the devices you name do.

And Sony has launched plenty of devices too early, i. e. at a high price inhibiting growth of software library or without the full feature set (PS4 doesn't have Gaikai yet for example).

Unless they actually want the VitaTV to flop harder in the West than the original Vita, they have to take their competition in it's price bracket head on. And it isn't microconsoles (since none of them have gotten off the ground yet). It's cheap streaming devices.

And you were responding to someone saying that it's not out in the West because it doesn't have the contracts with digital contract holders. And you said that they did. From the way I read the first person's comment, it seems like he was talking about video content, not games.

Yes Boss!

Yeah, I don't get why this is such a hard concept. Clearly something like Gravity Rush and Tearaway simply are never going to work. The fact that most do is indicative of the sad state of the console-to-handheld mode of thinking in the PSP line. Wish Sony would figure this shit out. Hopefully if they make a third system they get their act together.

Which are also 100% superfluous in most cases. The camera support in Hot Shots Golf is something that I've never felt the need to use, so I won't miss it much when I load it up on a device that doesn't support it. Nothing of value would be lost, and it irks me that Sony disagrees.

I think it's less of a value judgment on those features by Sony, and more of the fact that missing hardware features might lead to crashes when games try to access them.

Yeah, that does make sense, along with the focusing-on-PS4 aspect. But I think trying to market it as a TV streaming tool is an ill-fated proposition for at least the US market. There's too many better devices already. I think, as with the PS4, Sony should focus on the gaming aspects of the device. Anything else is icing on top.

Parakeetman

Yeah, that does make sense, along with the focusing-on-PS4 aspect. But I think trying to market it as a TV streaming tool is an ill-fated proposition for at least the US market. There's too many better devices already. I think, as with the PS4, Sony should focus on the gaming aspects of the device. Anything else is icing on top.

The problem is the Vita was marketed as a gaming device and still int he west the Vita gets all sorts of shit from both the public and press. Thats why the Vita TVs marketing and content needs to be "redefined" so to speak in order to gain some sort of ground with the common folk. Hence the whole "scenario" of them currently planning on what type of content / services and or in talks with to secure for the device itself.

One nicer thing too about there even being a delay in the system itself, is granted not everyone plays titles from Japan at least gives a little more time for titles from here to get localized and released into the West allowing for a larger pool of "compatible titles, along with giving the Western developers time to work on patches to allow for their titles to be compatible with the PSV Tv.

Once again all speculation, but still must say that the overall view from the Vita and how its been doing in the West, plus thinking of it from a "war room" perspective Id have to say if there was a scenario for the West planned, this would be the most likely thing.

Yeah, I don't get why this is such a hard concept. Clearly something like Gravity Rush and Tearaway simply are never going to work. The fact that most do is indicative of the sad state of the console-to-handheld mode of thinking in the PSP line. Wish Sony would figure this shit out. Hopefully if they make a third system they get their act together.

Here in Japan a lot of the devs are / have moved away from the useless gimmicks such as touch and gyro thankfully. Which is why we are seeing more games coming out as is, rather than having to shoe horn in things. Helps with development schedule and cost.

*Edit Sure we still have games that add the stupid features like Valhalla Knights 3, upcoming Criminal Girls, but for the most part its settled down from the "forced" inclusion of the features just to make it seem "original" and justify the addition of them into the system itself. One of the worst examples Id have to say was the Dynasty Warriors game. Seeing all of that poke, swipe, tap etc shit in it turned me off from buying the game. Thats the last thing I want to do while playing a handheld is take one hand off of the unit to prod at the fucking screen.

Most def if they ever do release another handheld, which I imagine we wont be seeing till maybe the halfway point of the PS4s life cycle really do hope that they take notes from the PS4 with how its more focused on being a gaming machine.

I suppose depending on how much of a response from the public is made about the whole remote play, the next device most likely would contain a L2 / R2 to work as an actual controller, rather than having to fuck around with the rear / front touch pad for those replacement buttons, that are not always as responsive or can be overly sensitive at times. Other problem too is hand placement of people are different which is why touch can be set off by accident, where as a button you have a physical object which the player consciously knows exists and depressing it will cause action "X" to happen. Therefore not pressing it by accident. Where as for example the rear touch pad there is no such physical feedback and the hands depending on size can set off the touch locations causing unwanted actions. Other times will not respond correctly when one does want to use said action or multiple actions are triggered when only a single one was desired.

extralite

Unless they actually want the VitaTV to flop harder in the West than the original Vita, they have to take their competition in it's price bracket head on. And it isn't microconsoles (since none of them have gotten off the ground yet). It's cheap streaming devices.

And you were responding to someone saying that it's not out in the West because it doesn't have the contracts with digital contract holders. And you said that they did. From the way I read the first person's comment, it seems like he was talking about video content, not games.

Yeah, I wasn't considering the actual situation he was referring to enough. But going back to what he said:

Similar to how Japan has a partnership with various companies for streaming media.

The situation isn't much different here than in Japan though. Wii U has Hulu and Bandai Channel, Vita only has Youtube and Nico Nico (which Wii U also has).

And the question is, why isn't Sony getting the rights for services like Hulu for the Vita? Is it really too expensive and does that mean the TV will never come to the West? Or isn't it really like how I said, the PS4 is Sony's priority right now in the West and the TV would be overshadowed.

So they're in no rush to get those services but they might when they will finally launch the TV here. Surely they knew their schedule well enough to get those contracts in time for launching the TV worldwide if they had intended to do that.

Cause and effect. I think lack of streaming services is an effect rather than the cause.

Parakeetman

lol, forgot about gyro and the camera entirely.

Id have to say out of the whole vita library the game that uses it the best would be Gravity Daze / Rush.

Next goes to Uncharted seeing how a lot of folks praised how the Vitas functions were put to use in that game.

extralite

The problem is the Vita was marketed as a gaming device and still int he west the Vita gets all sorts of shit from both the public and press. Thats why the Vita TVs marketing and content needs to be "redefined" so to speak in order to gain some sort of ground with the common folk. Hence the whole "scenario" of them currently planning on what type of content / services and or in talks with to secure for the device itself.

Which still doesn't sound very plausible to me. Hulu is a paid service, how hard can it be for Sony to convince them to put their app on Vita and allow Hulu to make money with Vita owners? Same with Amazon etc.

Also Sony itself produces and has distribution rights to many movies, TV series and music albums. Which they distribute digitally through SEN/PSN or other services available on Playstation devices including the Vita. I don't see why services on Vita would need to be worse than on PS3 or PS4. They already have their catalogue and relationships with the companies that provide the services they might require.

The Vita TV as a cheap alternative is not what they want when they currently are launching the PS4. It would be overshadowed by the PS4 at best and draw attention away from it at worst (unlikely though).

If PS4 can vitalize Vita in the West then Sony might follow up with the TV. On the other hand in Japan VitaTV might help revitalize the console market which would benefit the PS4.

Not to forget you can use either Vita with the PS4 so a customer who already has one device might be more easily persuaded to buy the other too.

lol, forgot about gyro and the camera entirely.
Gyro should be somewhat replicable with the gyro in the DS3 though. Not the same as moving a screen of course.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Id have to say out of the whole vita library the game that uses it the best would be Gravity Daze / Rush.

Next goes to Uncharted seeing how a lot of folks praised how the Vitas functions were put to use in that game.
This is news to me lol

Personally I was extremely put off by the touch gimmicks in that game. The gyro aim fine-tuning was quite useful but it was really only needed because of the high sensitivity of the vita sticks in the first place. I'd imagine playing with a DS3 on the Vita TV would make aiming quite easy and accurate without additional gyro.

extralite

This is news to me lol

Personally I was extremely put off by the touch gimmicks in that game. The gyro aim fine-tuning was quite useful but it was really only needed because of the high sensitivity of the vita sticks in the first place. I'd imagine playing with a DS3 on the Vita TV would make aiming quite easy and accurate without additional gyro.

Sensitivity of the analogue sticks can be adjusted on the software side, I don't expect it to be different with the DS3. Can someone confirm this maybe?

So you're saying the west is never getting a Vita.
I doubt that, given the investment in new hardware Sony has made, but pushing the PS4 cross play features in the west might make the Vita (all three versions) a more attractive platform to buy.

Yes Boss!

I did get the stand in yesterday. Seems pretty cool. Not sure if I'm going to actually use it but I wanted the option. And since I'm going with the Value Bundle I wanted to get an accessory for it. With all the cords going into it I figured it might help keep it in place, so to speak. There are little rubber tacky feet on the bottom.

null_zps2003c566.jpg

extralite

So you're saying the west is never getting a Vita.

Actually, I think Sony will bring the TV to the West at some point regardless. But I think Sony is hoping for some positive effect on Vita sales.

I also think they're setting their hopes on titles like Tearaway to attract some of the younger audience.

Zafir

If they do release it they'll wait a bit anyway PS4 will sell strong till Infamous at the least. After that they may consider the TV.

I did get the stand in yesterday. Seems pretty cool. Not sure if I'm going to actually use it but I wanted the option. And since I'm going with the Value Bundle I wanted to get an accessory for it. With all the cords going into it I figured it might help keep it in place, so to speak. There are little rubber tacky feet on the bottom.

Where did you buy that?

Takao

Banned
For those that own a TV out compatible PSP do the PSP games look better with Vita TV?

I doubt that, given the investment in new hardware Sony has made, but pushing the PS4 cross play features in the west might make the Vita (all three versions) a more attractive platform to buy.

There isn't much new hardware in a Vita TV. It's just a Vita with an scaler sans a screen.

Actually, I think Sony will bring the TV to the West at some point regardless. But I think Sony is hoping for some positive effect on Vita sales.

I also think they're setting their hopes on titles like Tearaway to attract some of the younger audience.

Well in North America Tearaway is going to be sent to die a brutal death, just like Killzone: Mercenary, and Soul Sacrifice before it.

Mk2020

Neo Member
Anyone here from uk that received there PS Vita Tv if so how much was Customs Duty, Excise Duty and Import VAT ?

Thanks

Zafir

I thought I'd ask in here since it's related to the Vita TV and having to use a Japanese account anyway.

Say if I copied my saves over onto the JP account memory card, I realise you can't earn trophy's. What happens if you save, and then copy the save back to it's original place? Can you start earning trophy's again? I'd assume the trophy's aren't retroactive as well, as in they won't just pop what you've earned while you've been on another account?

milkham

I thought i'd ask here, maybe its too early to know, but I was thinking i'd pick up a vita tv eventually when I pick up a ps4, hook the ps4 up in the living room and the vita tv in my bedroom, will vita tv remote play output at higher quality than on a vita or will it just be vita resolution upscaled to 1080p?

extralite

Well in North America Tearaway is going to be sent to die a brutal death, just like Killzone: Mercenary, and Soul Sacrifice before it.

Here in Germany Sony is running presenter ads before some Nickelodeon cartoons (Spongebob for example), using dual sticks (lol) and backtouchpad as features on which they try to sell it.

Most of the other ads are by Nintendo and I think Vita is lacking games that would appeal to that segment. Tearaway I see at least having a chance of appealing to the younger audience though. (I haven't seen any spot for Tearaway actually but I don't switch on Nickelodeon that often, and not recently.)

Basically Sony took a while to wise up who they could have sold the Vita to but they still have too little too late.

Parakeetman

Here in Germany Sony is running presenter ads before some Nickelodeon cartoons (Spongebob for example), using dual sticks (lol) and backtouchpad as features on which they try to sell it.

Most of the other ads are by Nintendo and I think Vita is lacking games that would appeal to that segment. Tearaway I see at least having a chance of appealing to the younger audience though. (I haven't seen any spot for Tearaway actually but I don't switch on Nickelodeon that often, and not recently.)

Basically Sony took a while to wise up who they could have sold the Vita to but they still have too little too late.

Id say with how they are trying to pair it with the PS4 it can potentially be the start of a new era for the Vita itself and development.

Time will tell.

Yes Boss!

I see, thanks! I was hoping Amazon JP would have it so I could pay at a convenience store though.

They do have it but they are sold out so only third-party vendors at an inflated price. Should come back in stock for the 900 yen price soon.

And, finally my Vita TV is at JFK. That means delivery to my PO Box today! Hopefully I get off work at 1600 so I can make it there to sign for it. Wanna play with it tonight!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Got a value pack at launch - not had much time to play with it due to wrapping up a project (finally done today)

I am wondering - i wonder if the ability to download Vita as well as Vita TV compatible games perhaps -maybe- has something to do with future support for the new dual shock?

Anyways, quite annoying to have some games like Stardust on the card but it not boot because it's not compatible even though the game includes a "standard" mode that doesn't use touch

Machine is dinky and cute though!

oh yeah... and this brings the total number of Vita's in the house to.... lol... seven.

Parakeetman

Got a value pack at launch - not had much time to play with it due to wrapping up a project (finally done today)

I am wondering - i wonder if the ability to download Vita as well as Vita TV compatible games perhaps -maybe- has something to do with future support for the new dual shock?

Anyways, quite annoying to have some games like Stardust on the card but it not boot because it's not compatible even though the game includes a "standard" mode that doesn't use touch

Machine is dinky and cute though!

oh yeah... and this brings the total number of Vita's in the house to.... lol... seven.

Jesus Christ you are worse than I am. lol then again I only have 2 well 3 if you count the PSV TV.

I cant wait to go through my PS1 archive games on the PSV TV. Gonna play through the first Shadow Tower. I hope Sony hurries the hell up with prodding more companies to release PS2 games, esp since the system is non existent now for new sales and games becoming less and less.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I cant wait to go through my PS1 archive games on the PSV TV

well, the PS1 archive and the PSP stuff looks pretty good - and yeah - that's been one of my main reasons for having the VitaTV : a tiny sony legacy box.

So at this point, should we give up on this ever coming to NA? I can only imagine how great Dissidia 012 would look. Also, if we could put the upcoming kernel exploit on it and play Crisis Core? It would be the best way to play PSP games.

Parakeetman

well, the PS1 archive and the PSP stuff looks pretty good - and yeah - that's been one of my main reasons for having the VitaTV : a tiny sony legacy box.

I just hope that more devs push out more titles. Since we still are missing a shitton of great stuff from both the PS2 / PS1 generation... D:

Ill have mine by Wednesday 20th Nov >.< but once i get it ill put how much it cost i have £50 put to one side ready, i know the import tax/customs in 20%

Find out soon.

Excellent. I had to resort to a private seller on ebay as most places were out of preorders, but paid the same price anyway so no big deal. Fingers crossed I strike it lucky and have it passed through as a gift...

Takao

Banned
Id say with how they are trying to pair it with the PS4 it can potentially be the start of a new era for the Vita itself and development.

Time will tell.

If Remote Play causes Vita sales to skyrocket (fat chance) I don't see how it would be good for the overall platform's health. Yes, the userbase would be higher, but it would be filled with owners that bought the device as a peripheral with no intent on buying original software developed for it.

Zafir

If Remote Play causes Vita sales to skyrocket (fat chance) I don't see how it would be good for the overall platform's health. Yes, the userbase would be higher, but it would be filled with owners that bought the device as a peripheral with no intent on buying original software developed for it.
Yeah but since they have the console already they may consider buying a game for it.

Say they see a game that looks interesting, they may not be interested enough to buy a console for it, but if they already have the console then they may buy that game.
Excellent. I had to resort to a private seller on ebay as most places were out of preorders, but paid the same price anyway so no big deal. Fingers crossed I strike it lucky and have it passed through as a gift...
Even marked as gift there's a chance you'll be charged. The price limit on gifts is £36.

Should get mine in the next day or two in the UK. I hope it isn't fully region locked, I guess when it comes out in HK and the store goes live there we'll know for sure. If a HK account will load up then as long as it come out in the EU it should work here too?

Pity there is no PS3 or PS4 remote play on it ATM and the DS4 isn't supported.

extralite

Time will tell.

How will the PS4 help sell the Vita to kids of the age that watch Nickolodeon, in other words the traditional handheld audience?

When I replied to your post (the one ending in "All speculation, but realistically thats what would make the most sense to me in terms of why they have not announced anything yet."), I at least gave an alternative to your explanation (and a much more obvious one) for the lack of a Western TV announcement, even if I ignored the particular reasoning for your theory. Which once looked at more closely wasn't that plausible either.

Your reply seriously has no connection with anything I wrote.

About the PS4 finally selling a Vita to the traditional Playstation audience I commented earlier, of course it should have some effect but Takao is very right not to expect any wonders here either.

Top Bottom