• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita TV JP Import Thread | There's still a life after OLED

Zafir

You will have to wait for one of the guys in one of the Western countries who has it to answer that unfortunately since am in Japan and I dont have a card thats formatted for the US PSN for example. Sorry cant be of much help with that question at this time.

Or someone else who does have a card set to the US / EU account.
Looking at the edge article it seems to suggest it'll reject cards them, oh well.

Mine was dispatched today,and should turn up next week (UK). I thought about cancelling what with all the rumblings about regions and whatnot, but decided that I'll give it a go - I have a dedicated Japanese Vita + account with plenty of stuff on it anyway, so technically it's not a huge problem if I'm only limited to JP software on my VTV for now.

Will post some impressions/photos if I can make time.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Btw for those thinking to record straight from the PSV TV using something like the AverMedia Live Gamer Portable for example dont buy one yet. A capture item that is since the HDCP bullshit happens and you will get "cannot record from protected source" or something along those lines.

If you already have a setup made to bypass HDCP then you should be good to go. Otherwise you will just be wasting money and going bald looking for a solution.

Smaug

Banned
Real quick as I am setting up both my vita tv and PS4 at the same time. I have not checked the list of compatible games but most of my US carts won't work I suppose because they aren't compatible games and not because of a region lock. Got Dragons Crown and Lumines to work but not: Wipeout, Killzone, Virtua Tennis, Unit 13, Uncharted, Metal Gear, Ridge Racer. Says game not compatible with this hardware, but no indication of region lock. Everything is in English which is nice. Sorry for the short post but am trying to get some PS4 time tonight.

Yes Boss!

Real quick as I am setting up both my vita tv and PS4 at the same time. I have not checked the list of compatible games but most of my US carts won't work I suppose because they aren't compatible games and not because of a region lock. Got Dragons Crown and Lumines to work but not: Wipeout, Killzone, Virtua Tennis, Unit 13, Uncharted, Metal Gear, Ridge Racer. Says game not compatible with this hardware, but no indication of region lock. Everything is in English which is nice. Sorry for the short post but am trying to get some PS4 time tonight.

Thanks for the update.

Yeah, the Redsungamer video showed all english too, which was nice.

Marche90

Sounds awesome, actually. So far, the only titles I want to play are Persona 4 golden and Ys, which are compatible, and from the sound of it, they might boot even if they are the US version. Might import after all (obviously, keep the impressions coming)

Jamix012

Sorry to bother, but these are US carts, right?

Jiraiza

Have my VITA TV set up to my 32". Looks really good.

A shame I don't have God Eater 2 and my only VITA game at the moment is the Yahari visual novel, ha ha.

Glad to see everyone is enjoying their Vita TV. Friend in Japan got one too and she loves it so far. Thinking about buying one myself for xmas, everything working well so far for other region PS3's/stores? I assume the device does since the set up/language can be set to all the PS3/4 supported languages.

Parakeetman

Glad to see everyone is enjoying their Vita TV. Friend in Japan got one too and she loves it so far. Thinking about buying one myself for xmas, everything working well so far for other region PS3's/stores? I assume the device does since the set up/language can be set to all the PS3/4 supported languages.

Only works in the Japan PSN stores is what folks have said earlier in the thread.

I didnt bother trying with mine as mine is just set up for the JP PSN as thats all I use with my Vita.

Setting the system language only effects the standard menus. There are others which will appear in Japanese depending. Those settings have 0 effect on one being able to use other regions PSN stores.

Shengar

Only works in the Japan PSN stores is what folks have said earlier in the thread.

I didnt bother trying with mine as mine is just set up for the JP PSN as thats all I use with my Vita.

Setting the system language only effects the standard menus. There are others which will appear in Japanese depending. Those settings have 0 effect on one being able to use other regions PSN stores.

Parakeetman, as I read your post in GE2 OT, I believe GE2 currently have no online mode right? This migh be seems unrelated, but what I thought as strange is, how can they made GE2 without online mode even though GE2 pretty much the "launch" title for Vita TV. This just strange to me.

Shengar

Because GE2 was never made for VitaTV in mind.

Sony just timed its release to the biggest Vita game of the year.

That of course is the only logical explanation. But by riding GE2 hype, that would make the majority of people who bought Vita TV will buy GE2 as their game for the system. I don't know if thus bode well for people who aren't aware of GE2 lack of online mode, though probably the number is ridiculous small.

That of course is the only logical explanation. But by riding GE2 hype, that would make the majority of people who bought Vita TV will buy GE2 as their game for the system. I don't know if thus bode well for people who aren't aware of GE2 lack of online mode, though probably the number is ridiculous small.

Gamers in Japan who are serious about co-op will buy the Vita/PSP version.

Ad-hoc is King.

Parakeetman

Because GE2 was never made for VitaTV in mind.

Sony just timed its release to the biggest Vita game of the year.

Truthfully I wouldnt go spreading rumors like that unless you have an actual quote from the dev to back it up.

At the same time too seeing how its one of the biggest marketing item being used with the Vita TV and how they had to show off one can play on the tv and 3 others around them.

There still is the possibility that the upcoming large patch in December? I think it was? Maybe the devs will include online mode, but we will have to wait and see.

Parakeetman, as I read your post in GE2 OT, I believe GE2 currently have no online mode right? This migh be seems unrelated, but what I thought as strange is, how can they made GE2 without online mode even though GE2 pretty much the "launch" title for Vita TV. This just strange to me.

Generally with Japan one reason why a lot of stuff doesnt have "online" support from the get go, is mainly people play ad-hoc. Though slowly companies are starting to realize that internet play is also starting to be more in demand and we do see it appearing in a few more titles now.

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace for example didnt start with internet multiplayer, but the devs patched it in later. Though I do believe that they had said they were going to have it, but it got delayed which is why they had to patch it in. Or something like that.

Worst situation is pray someone figures out how to get it to work with Xlink Kai similar to what everyone back in the days did with the PSP version of Monster Hunter.

Phreak47

The real reason to get this is wired gigabit ps4 remote play on another TV in the house.

I can wait for a stateside release though. Not going to pay more than double to import it. Would love to hear from people who do though.

Shengar

Gamers in Japan who are serious about co-op will buy the Vita/PSP version.

Ad-hoc is King.

Do you mean the Vita GE2 version? Yeah, that is something a gamer in Japan that serious with the series will buy. But right now we talking how VitaTV, not Vita, usually get advertised with GE2.

Parakeetman

Do you mean the Vita GE2 version? Yeah, that is something a gamer in Japan that serious with the series will buy. But right now we talking how VitaTV, not Vita, usually get advertised with GE2.

Thing is the Vita TV with the advertisements also did not market it as a platform for online play. Since as the commercials which you most likely may have seen and I talked about in a previous post, it showed it as one person plays on the TV while others join in locally using wireless.

All the Vita TV is, is basically a Vita minus the touch controls that works on the TV and has access to Japanese streaming media content channels. At least thats how I see it with how Ive used mine.

Will just have to wait and see what happens in December. Or if the devs will announce it if at all. Hopefully there will be enough sales, feedback from the fans out there to get them to at least address the question in a blog post.

Shengar

Thing is the Vita TV with the advertisements also did not market it as a platform for online play. Since as the commercials which you most likely may have seen and I talked about in a previous post, it showed it as one person plays on the TV while others join in locally using wireless.

All the Vita TV is, is basically a Vita minus the touch controls that works on the TV and has access to Japanese streaming media content channels. At least thats how I see it with how Ive used mine.

Will just have to wait and see what happens in December. Or if the devs will announce it if at all. Hopefully there will be enough sales, feedback from the fans out there to get them to at least address the question in a blog post.

That mean I could still play ad-hoc on my Vita with my friend who owned Vita TV then? That about right, but aren't people playing ad-hoc usually outdoor, or at least not at home in Japan? And fingers crossed on online feature :p

Parakeetman

That mean I could still play ad-hoc on my Vita with my friend who owned Vita TV then? That about right, but aren't people playing ad-hoc usually outdoor, or at least not at home in Japan? And fingers crossed on online feature :p

With how small the Vita TV for those who work in a game company for example could literally bring it with them to work and hook it up there if they wanted. Granted they would need a DS3 though

Yes if your friend owns a Vita TV and you are there with your Vita you can play together.

It also uses that Ad Hoc Party thing, but Ive never used it myself and always am hearing how buggy it is. No one in the GE2 thread posted about trying it yet either.

Example below from TGS 2013

*Edit btw if the pic is broken, currently something seems wrong with imgur so just click on the broken image to watch the video.

Shengar

With how small the Vita TV for those who work in a game company for example could literally bring it with them to work and hook it up there if they wanted. Granted they would need a DS3 though

Yes if your friend owns a Vita TV and you are there with your Vita you can play together.

It also uses that Ad Hoc Party thing, but Ive never used it myself and always am hearing how buggy it is. No one in the GE2 thread posted about trying it yet either.

Example below from TGS 2013

*Edit btw if the pic is broken, currently something seems wrong with imgur so just click on the broken image to watch the video.
I guess it could work if GE2 feature such split screen multiplayer, but it isn't right?

BibiMaghoo

Is anyone able to tell me if I can use a Vita TV for remote play after importing?

I do not have a JP account, only an EU one. I don't mind not having a store on my Vita, but can I still hook it up to my EU account and:

1) Use remote play, for a EU account PS4
2) Use the EU account digital games by transferring them from my PS3.

otherwise, I guess an import is worthless to me, and I really want one of these over a normal Vita.

Zafir

I can confirm US games work with the Vita TV. Persona 4 Golden and Muramasa Rebirth work just fine. I also tried Gravity Rush, Mortal Kombat, and Assassin's Creed. None of them worked. I'll upload a video shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CibUSsxX05I

Sorry about the audio.
Thats good news. Hopefully that means Ys: Memories of Celceta US should work too as I recall that being on the list.
Is anyone able to tell me if I can use a Vita TV for remote play after importing?

I do not have a JP account, only an EU one. I don't mind not having a store on my Vita, but can I still hook it up to my EU account and:

1) Use remote play, for a EU account PS4
2) Use the EU account digital games by transferring them from my PS3.

otherwise, I guess an import is worthless to me, and I really want one of these over a normal Vita.
You won't be able to use a EU account on the Vita TV yet. If you were going to use remote play you'd need to be playing the game on your JP account on the PS4, and then logged into the same account on your Vita. It's worth noting it doesn't cost anything to make a Japanese account. So you could still make use of it for retail games. Just depends how much you care for trophys.

BibiMaghoo

Thats good news. Hopefully that means Ys: Memories of Celceta US should work too as I recall that being on the list.

You won't be able to use a EU account on the Vita TV yet. If you were going to use remote play you'd need to be playing the game on your JP account on the PS4, and then logged into the same account on your Vita. It's worth noting it doesn't cost anything to make a Japanese account. So you could still make use of it for retail games. Just depends how much you care for trophys.

Damn, I was afraid this was the case. I cannot speak or read Japanese, and so even though I can make an account (I have done before on PS3), I can't read anything to know what it is. I guess I'll just have to wait for an EU release.

Zafir

Damn, I was afraid this was the case. I cannot speak or read Japanese, and so even though I can make an account (I have done before on PS3), I can't read anything to know what it is. I guess I'll just have to wait for an EU release.
Well, the console still has english language on it, it'll just be certain things that will be japanese. Like the playstation store for example.

Can you plug in a PS USB joypad to this - rather than the dual shock?

Reason being is that the dual shocks dpad is pants and I just got a nifty neo geo usb pad.

Btw for those thinking to record straight from the PSV TV using something like the AverMedia Live Gamer Portable for example dont buy one yet. A capture item that is since the HDCP bullshit happens and you will get "cannot record from protected source" or something along those lines.

If you already have a setup made to bypass HDCP then you should be good to go. Otherwise you will just be wasting money and going bald looking for a solution.

Stupid. Wish people were as passionate about tweeting yosp about the Vita TV as they were with the PS4.

Parakeetman

Stupid. Wish people were as passionate about tweeting yosp about the Vita TV as they were with the PS4.

Im pretty sure to get the contents holders onboard with all of those streaming media services Sony had to put in the HDCP stuff, since its become the shitty "standard" that we the end users have to put up with.

Thankfully there are cheap ways to get around it. Just problem is finding said item to do it takes a bit of poking around teh internets.

RaikuHebi

Banned
We need to hear about and see what the Vita TV is like at playing PS4 games!

I can confirm US games work with the Vita TV. Persona 4 Golden and Muramasa Rebirth work just fine. I also tried Gravity Rush, Mortal Kombat, and Assassin's Creed. None of them worked. I'll upload a video shortly.

Sorry about the audio.
60704yeunx.gif

Parakeetman

Sorry about the audio.

Serious question. Why would you try a game that isnt listed as a supported title on the Japanese site? Since obviously its not going to work. Gravity Daze (Rush) in particular with that being a SCEJ title they wouldnt not have it on the list if it wasnt compatible. I can understand trying things that are the US version on the supported list, but things that are not?

BOTEC

Serious question. Why would you try a game that isnt listed as a supported title on the Japanese site? Since obviously its not going to work. Gravity Daze (Rush) in particular with that being a SCEJ title they wouldnt not have it on the list if it wasnt compatible. I can understand trying things that are the US version on the supported list, but things that are not?

Hoping against hope that Sony simply allowed the game to run with limited compatibility, instead of being dicks and locking it out completely.

Glad to hear about P4G compatibility. Anyone try Hot Shots Golf World Invitational?

Takao

Banned

Yoshida seems to be taking the stance of SCEA, and ignoring that Vita exists. He hasn't answered any questions about VitaTV or other Vita related things.

Possibly not the best thread to ask it in, but a local Australian store is having a *huge* deal on the original OLED Vita 3G bundled with Soul Sacrifice, and I was wondering if it's likely after the new Vita revision with the different screen and the Vita TV hit western markets if the OLED Vita was going to get discontinued?

For any other aussies the price is 200 bucks for the original 3G model with SS, which is by far the cheapest I've seen it anywhere the past two years, let alone with a bundled game.

Jiraiza

Sorry about the audio.

This is great but it sucks that save files are locked to a PSN account. So basically, you're stuck playing your localized games on a JP PSN account and having no access to DLC (if that fancies your interest).

Sucks but I won't be able to play Ys on the TV any time soon until a US release is announced. Really hating how Sony designed the PSN store.

Sorry about the audio.

Great news, thanks for taking the time to record the video...

One question, though: it appears that there is a lot of slowdown - is that due to your camera, or the monitor being used?

Just to show what happens when you put it in.

Great news, thanks for taking the time to record the video...

One question, though: it appears that there is a lot of slowdown - is that due to your camera, or the monitor being used?

My camera.

Yes Boss!

Good news!

I got Persona for the Vita TV launch. I don't so much care about trophies. I wanna play it on the HDTV. Unit arrives on monday. Already got my vertical stand.

Ramune

Recorded some God Eater 2 footage from my Vita TV.

Awesome video! Cool to see there are ways around the HDMI protection scheme. Tickled me that your character is "Rabi/ラビ" since that's the name of the character I tend to bring into these games as well, "Rabbie/ラビー" XD

Hope to the gaming gods this game comes over here!

Parakeetman

Awesome video! Cool to see there are ways around the HDMI protection scheme. Tickled me that your character is "Rabi/ラビ" since that's the name of the character I tend to bring into these games as well, "Rabbie/ラビー" XD

Hope to the gaming gods this game comes over here!

I got that name from these little bastards from Seiken Densetsu back on the super famicon. On the Japanese version they were called ラビ Forgot what the first game was that I used it in though haha. But it just kinda stuck over the years.
Rabite_Mana.png

The way I got around it was using a HDMI Splitter. In the US it seems there is one that works also.

Basically it works like this.

Vita TV ---> HDMI Splitter ---> Capture Device (AverMedia Live Gamer Portable) ---> Display Device.

Yoshida seems to be taking the stance of SCEA, and ignoring that Vita exists. He hasn't answered any questions about VitaTV or other Vita related things.

I don't really understand that, or their non-committal to a VitaTV NA/EU release. I have absolutely no desire to buy a Vita. None. Even though I really want to play P4G. But I would buy a VitaTV (along with P4G) in a heartbeat. Looks like I might have to end up importing.

Good news!

I got Persona for the Vita TV launch. I don't so much care about trophies. I wanna play it on the HDTV. Unit arrives on monday. Already got my vertical stand.

You do realize that Persona 4 Golden (despite not using either the touchpad or touchscreen) is not compatible with the VitaTV?

You do realize that Persona 4 Golden (despite not using either the touchpad or touchscreen) is not compatible with the VitaTV?

Apparently that's not true:

Sorry about the audio.

Top Bottom