• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 games on PS4 : The list

I meant the game emulation in general.

Oh right, yeah I don't think it does, but if it does it's probably some basic upscaling, which still looks fuzzy and gross to me.

A remaster would obviously be rendered natively at 1080p, which of what I'm asking for here with DC2 at least.

Sorry for the confusion. Stressful day. :(

bede-x

I hope they find a way to fix the PAL versions and release more than one game every week. Just as with Xbox One backwardscompatibility is one of the most exciting features of the PS4 to me, but we need more releases. And if they could do PS1 games as well, I'd be mighty happy.

None of them are actually 1080p though are they?

Being PS2 games, I wouldn't think so.

Remasters running at native 1080p with some better filtering/AA would be marvelous though.

I meant the game emulation in general.

Oh right, yeah I don't think it does, but if it does it's probably some basic upscaling, which still looks fuzzy and gross to me.

A remaster would obviously be rendered natively at 1080p, which of what I'm asking for here with DC2 at least.

Sorry for the confusion. Stressful day. :(

The games are uprendered in to HD, though not full 1080p. They are then upressed to 1080. So not as good as a worthwhile remaster, but better than just upscaling. The games look considerably better than they ever did on PS2.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-ps2-emulation-on-ps4-performance-analysis

Fat4all

Banned
Psychonauts (Spring 2016),

FUCK YES!! Upscaled and with a solid frame-rate, this will be a must-buy for me.

Also, is the Arc the Lad game any good? I haven't played too much of the series before and I'm kinda in the mood for sommit like a tactical RPG.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Psychonauts is almost for sure not going to be the PS2 emulated version, so I don't think it belongs in this thread. They never mentioned it would be, and the screens they provided looked nothing like PS2 version did.

Shenmue

Banned
Man that is a tiny list. I hope they are able to do the same with PS1 games. I am more interested in trophied versions of those games rather than PS2 games.

What I wouldn't do to play Xenogears, Legend of Mana, Suikoden 1&2, Valkyrie Profile, and many other PS1 games with uprez and trophies.

Coda

So far these games have been mainly not that great. Let's get more fan favorite hidden gems such as God Hand and Gungrave.

The games are uprendered in to HD, though not full 1080p. They are then upressed to 1080. So not as good as a worthwhile remaster, but better than just upscaling. The games look considerably better than they ever did on PS2.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-ps2-emulation-on-ps4-performance-analysis

True, but even at a glance it's obvious (at least to me on my set) that it's an old SD res game that's struggling to appear HD at all.

Point being, a complete, proper, Bluepoint quality HD remaster of Dark Cloud 2 would really look far more glorious than its PS2+PS4 version ever could.

Kinan

Nice job on the OP, this is very handy.

thanks, sure hope so. :=)

Updated with links to Star Wars games on EU store. Still nothing on US store, will check later today, but so far its EU-exclusive. Also Bounty Hunter page say the game is not available to buy for some reason, most likely it takes some time to update all the servers or something. I would expect it to be fine in a hour or so.

Kinan

Ok, Star Wars Bounty Hunter is finally available for purchase on EU store. Took em almost whole day to fix whatever problem they had.

I'm conflicted.

Yay for Dark Cloud 2 coming, but boo for that potentially meaning a remaster will never come. The engine L5 used for DC2, Rogue Galaxy, and DQ8 could greatly benefit from 1080p.

If I remember correctly DQ8 also had a 16:9 option in it's original release which would make it perfect. I dunno how many PS2 games had 16:9 options but I think Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria did as well.

Did Dark Cloud 2 have a 16:9 option? I can't remember.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
True, but even at a glance it's obvious (at least to me on my set) that it's an old SD res game that's struggling to appear HD at all.

Point being, a complete, proper, Bluepoint quality HD remaster of Dark Cloud 2 would really look far more glorious than its PS2+PS4 version ever could.
TBF its just like a PS2 HD Collection by Bluepoint, for instants God of War 2 would be rendering at a higher resolution then the Bluepoints HD Collection if it was available on PS4.
But Bluepoints PS4 Remasters are enhanced ports not just upres ports like they use to be on PS3.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Seems that it's mostly SCE games. I would love to see The Getaway on there. Burnout 3 would be an instabuy as well.

Has anyone done a comparison between PCSX2 and this? I know the graphics won't be as good on PS4, but I'm wondering if the performance is comparable or the emulation is as accurate.

Green Yoshi

NOPE!
Sony removed the 50/60Hz option from the PS2 games that had them originally. All PS2 ports in Europe run at 50, then they are sped up to 60Hz which is a mess.

When will they fix it?

Any idea if Burnout 3 will see the light of day on PS4? EA probably don't want to make money!

They would probably have to remove the music, but there are Burnout 3 playlists on Spotify you could use instead.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Has anyone done a comparison between PCSX2 and this? I know the graphics won't be as good on PS4, but I'm wondering if the performance is comparable or the emulation is as accurate.

The PS4 PS2 emulator renders games at 1200x800(somewhere in that area), with a post processing filter to smooth off most jaggies, and runs games at their native aspect ratio unless specifically supported with widescreen originally, in which case that option is automatically enabled on start up.

The performance on games is far improved from their original releases, but 30fps games are not going to be 60fps games and 60fps games are not going to be 120fps games.

It will max out at the target framerate of the original game. If the original game had an unlocked framerate above 30, but didn't really do so well in the original version, it is generally the case that only then will the game run at or around the 60fps refresh instead

Inuhanyou

When will they fix it?

They can't fix eurozone standards. The copies of the games they are using with 50 refesh rate are incompatible with modern 60 technology. But they forced them through anyway because that was the EU standard, and its impossible for them to just release the US version on the store bearing in mind all the different language and national barriers in the PAL region

KalBalboa

Banned
The performance on games is far improved from their original releases, but 30fps games are not going to be 60fps games and 60fps games are not going to be 120fps games.

Not to be contrarian, but didn't Digital Foundry in their first PS2 on PS4 piece mention a big frame rate boost in a few titles?

Moving on, the outstanding question is one of performance. We've got some substantial improvements to image quality, but do the games run as they should - or dare we hope, better? It's early days right now. In truth it's been a while since we analysed PS2 titles, and getting a clean 480p feed isn't easy - even with backward compatible PS3s in the house. However, it's certainly looking promising. The emulator is clearly running these games more smoothly, with Jedi Starfighter hitting 60fps while the game running on PS2 hardware has nothing like that level of output.

Inuhanyou

Not to be contrarian, but didn't Digital Foundry in their first PS2 on PS4 piece mention a big frame rate boost in a few titles?

Read all of the post i made

It will max out at the target framerate of the original game. However, if the original game had an unlocked framerate above 30, but didn't really do so well in the original version, it is generally the case that only then will the game run at or around the 60fps refresh instead on the PS4 emulated version

Top Bottom