• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Stereoscopic 3D |OT| - The 50's called they want their silly glasses back

quetz67

Banned
sony_bravia_lx900_3d.gif

Official site: Sony 3D gaming page
Title | Stereosopic 3D
Platforms | PS3
Developer | Sony
Release date (games) | Firmware 3.30 - 04/22/2010
Release date (movies)| Firmware 3.50 - 09/21/2010
System requirements: | Stereoscopic 3D TV and glasses (available from $849 - 50"/720p)

List of PS3 games to support stereoscopic 3D (now or in the future): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_PlayStation_3_games
List of 3D blu-ray movies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Blu-ray_3D_releases

List of games available now:

- Auditorium

aud3d.jpg

- Call of Duty: Black Ops

theglobeandmail hands on

3d_side.png

- Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (Addon enables 3D)

GP_pigsy3d530.jpg

- EyePet: Move Edition

ign preview

ep3d.jpg

- The Fight: Lights Out

tflo3d.jpg

- Gran Turismo 5

3dtested 8/10

suggested settings in post #44

gt53d.jpg

- High Velocity Bowling

hvb3d.jpg

- Hustle Kings

hk3d.jpg

- Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao

it3d.jpg

- James Cameron's Avatar: The Game

ign 6.8/10

ava.jpg

(unfocus eyes to see in 3D)

- MotorStorm: 3D Rift

gameplaybook 3/5

960298734.jpg

- MotorStorm: Apocalypse

ma.jpg

- NBA 2K11
nba3d.gif

- Pain

pain3d.jpg

- Prince of Persia - Trilogy

1538698-03586048_photo_prince_of_persia_trilogy_3d_large.jpg

- Ridge Racer 7: 3D License Version

joystiq preview

rr3d.jpg

- Shaun White Skateboarding

lesbiangamers 3.5/5

sws3d.png

- The Sly Collection

sly3d.jpg

- StarDrone

sd3d.jpg

- Super Stardust HD

3dtested 7.5/10

superstardust-hd-3d-header.jpg

- Swords & Soldiers

tqcast 3.5/5

3Dswords-TQ570.jpg

- Tumble
tumble3d.jpg

- Wipeout HD

3dtested 6.5/10

3D-560x274.jpg

quetz67

Banned
Thought is was about time for a topic to collect experiences, reviews and announcements.

Will update with pics and reviews.

cool thread.

good luck, 3D fans. shit irritates and fatigues my eyes, so I will be unable to accompany you on your voyage to 3D land. send me a postcard.

quetz67

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
cool thread.

good luck, 3D fans. shit irritates and fatigues my eyes, so I will be unable to accompany you on your voyage to 3D land. send me a postcard.
May you should try the new cinemizer glasses when the are released some time this year. No crosstalk/ghosting there.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Dreams-Visions said:
cool thread.

LCD or Plasma? Active or passive? Have you tried these? Plasma has way less crosstalk than LCD's. Also plasma might have difference in 3D resolution, e.g. FullHD 3D with plasma, half vertical with lcd.

quetz67

Banned
3rdman said:
3D...ha! More like bas relief gaming, really.
Obviously you haven't tried (enough).

I must admit I got that impression from Killzone 3 on Games Convention. But Stardust is just perfect and Wipeout and 3D Rift have a nice depth (Burnout Paradise on PC sure is deeper, I really hope they'll update the PS3 version).

Bas relief gaming is what I get when I turn on the automatic upconversion on my Samsung, still it adds to the experience.

ymmv

Banned
"PS3 Stereoscopic 3D [OT] - The 50's called they want their silly glasses back"

Actually, the first ever 3D movies were produced in the early twenties. Here's a poster for Plastigrams (1922).

plastigrams%20ad%20mod.jpg

Ellis Kim

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
cool thread.

Technical differences in emerging technology aside, you should get your eyes checked. One eye could be off, resulting in said fatigue.

Ydahs

Great idea keeping all the 3D news in one place. There's not many, so it can be very easy to miss.

Bought a 3D TV, love the movies. At first I wasn't too sure about games, especially Motorstorm which had heaps of crosstalk. Then I realized Motionflow was enabled. Disabling it led to Motorstorm being the most immersive of the lot. The depth is awesome and the car stands out and resembles a toy car! Cannot wait for the next Motorstorm, which apparently looks absolutely insane in 3D.

GT5, although subtle, also had an immersive feel to it, though I haven't really had enough time with it.

The next generation consoles better all support 3D since it really is the next ground-breaking implementation, more important than a resolution higher than 1080p. Well, that's how I feel anyway.

quetz67

Banned
ymmv said:
"PS3 Stereoscopic 3D [OT] - The 50's called they want their silly glasses back"

Actually, the first ever 3D movies were produced in the early twenties. Here's a poster for Plastigrams (1922).
1903 - L’Arrive du Train (side by side)
1915 - Jim, the Penman - Anyglyph (unconfirmed)
1922 - The Power of Love - Anyglyph (confirmed)
1922 - Radio Mania - mechanical shutter glasses integrated into the seats - how weird is that?
1936 - Nozze Vagabonde (polarized)

I know my 3D ;)

Still the anaglyph glasses are usually connected to 50's.

DiscoJer

quetz67 said:
1903 - L’Arrive du Train (side by side)
1915 - Jim, the Penman - Anyglyph (unconfirmed)
1922 - The Power of Love - Anyglyph (confirmed)
1922 - Radio Mania - mechanical shutter glasses integrated into the seats - how weird is that?
1936 - Nozze Vagabonde (polarized)

I know my 3D ;)

Still the anaglyph glasses are usually connected to 50's.

Hmmm, 3D seems to come around every 30 years. 20s, 50s, 80s, and now the 2010s..

Anyone have impressions of the sly collection in 3d? Curious, as iI'm really interested in the 3d on another port (the Ico/SOTC collection).

Btw I'll just add that I was sceptical, but Wipeout blew me away.

quetz67

Banned
JLateralus said:
Anyone have impressions of the sly collection in 3d? Curious, as iI'm really interested in the 3d on another port (the Ico/SOTC collection).
I read a little through amazon ratings and the impression I found was rather negative (not much depth).

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
JLateralus said:

Btw I'll just add that I was sceptical, but Wipeout blew me away.

I've tried it and wasn't impressed at all. However I've also played Wipeout and wasn't impressed by that either so maybe it's just me. The only two games that have really done what I expected from 3D were Motorstorm and Super Stardust.

quetz67

Banned
Just got the Enslaved Addon and I like the 3D.

+ Depth is OK, 3D is mostly clean

- Cutscenes are a little problematic in 3D
- Texture imperfection become more obvious
- froze after 15 minutes

coming from PC 3D gaming with its many glitches I am pretty positve about 3D on PS3, just that I would wish for a general depth adjustement.

bj00rn_

Banned
DiscoJer said:
Hmmm, 3D seems to come around every 30 years. 20s, 50s, 80s, and now the 2010s..

3D had a slight surge in the 90's as well. I was playing Quake 3D on my PC with LCD shutter glasses back then. Exact same technology as of today, but the image quality a bit worse/darker, and low fps. Obviously sales didn't really catch on.

spats

Nice thread. I've tried gaming in 3D but not completely sold on it yet. I'm looking forward to seeing the technology develop and become more accessable.

cakefoo

DiscoJer said:
There are a number of reasons I think 3D is here to stay this time:

1) Screens to show the content on. Both in the growth of cinema screens (doubling since Avatar) and in the availability of 3DTV's for home.

2) Movie funding is huge. 3D is in the blockbuster movies like Avatar, CG movies, Pirates 4, Spiderman 4, Transformers 3, etc.

3) The approach to cinematography and stereo composition has become vastly more inspiring

4) 3D photography is much more mobile now thanks to smaller, digital cameras like the Red Epic, plus rigging systems have been invented that allow the cameras to reach places and do things that would have been difficult decades ago.

These all combine for more entertaining 3D without having to rely on paddleballs and other stupid crap. :D

Motorstorm Apocalypse really sold me on the 3D effects, they really made that game awesome. Tried a demo at an expo late last year.

quetz67

Banned
Reallink said:
Aren't the Prince of Persia HD Re-releases in 3D?
they are! thanks!

but it europe exclusive

From the eurogamer review:

'POP HD Trilogy has a range of 3D options that we could not test because we don't have a 3DTV because NO ONE HAS A 3DTV.'

I dont know about the US, but you are stupid if you buy a TV without 3D here in europe. Got my Samsung 50" Plasma for 999€ and it is basically awesome. That's 200€ more than a comparable non 3D TV with outdated tech.

Whats the word on the Tvs that can use the same type of light plastic glasses you get for movie theatre shows? I dont mind wearing glasses at home for 3D but the glasses are so big and uncomfortable currently.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
COD:BO 3D is OK, not that great. Game has part where it shines in 3D with pop-out effect (ie crawling through grass, behind trees, running past objects)

The thing that kills it, is the clutter. So much shit going on, your eyes can't adjust to all that massive amount of information.

example: You ADS, you get that 3D effect with lag, game feels jarring, it hurts you more than helps you/enjoy. The foreground/background objects don't feel 3D, they feel like 2D cut-outs, with shadows to give you a pop-up book effect, like behind the rock is a kick-stand made out of wood and the rock made out of cardboard

It's fun for first 15-30 minutes, but your eyes strain too much from all the info
(If you look @ radar map, then back to screen, your eyes take 2-5 seconds to readjust)

If 3D rating, on a 5 star system, it's a 2/5

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift is a fucking blast. The mud/water kicks up in front of you. I liked the FOV + depth. I mean for a racer, the 3D is real good.
You almost get a 3D toy effect, like your racing virtual toy cars.
I think Motorstorm 3 is gonna really blossom with 3D

3D rating: 3.5/5

Tumble 3D is fun. So basic, but in 3D with Move, it gets crazy. Stacking becomes crazy, with the new depth and helps you position blocks at the right spot.

3D rating: 3/5

SuperStardust HD: Hands down best 3D use. My god it's just GLORIOUS!.
When you die, that particle effect feels like the effects just bukkaked all over your face in GLORIOUS 3D

3D rating: 4.5/5

Movies:

Avatar 3D on PS3 is ridiculously good, no framerate skip, pure bliss.

I have a 65" 1080p 600hz Panasonic Viera 3DHDTV
(TC-P65VT25)

Hell if you on the fence and in NYC (near queens/citi field), I'll let you come see how good this shit is

Piggus

quetz67 said:
May you should try the new cinemizer glasses when the are released some time this year. No crosstalk/ghosting there.

I know nothing about these. Will they be universally compatible? I love my new Toshiba 3DTV but the crosstalk in some games is annoying. GT5 in cockpit view would be AMAZING without the crosstalk.

My friend and I tried COD on 360 in 3D and there was so much crosstalk that we thought glasses weren't even working. It was horrible. Granted, the TV hadn't warmed up for long (which is important when using an LCD/LED TV.)

EDIT: Ah these things have a display integrated into them. >___< Not at all what I was expecting.

Haint

quetz67 said:
they are! thanks!

but it europe exclusive

From the eurogamer review:

'POP HD Trilogy has a range of 3D options that we could not test because we don't have a 3DTV because NO ONE HAS A 3DTV.'

I dont know about the US, but you are stupid if you buy a TV without 3D here in europe. Got my Samsung 50" Plasma for 999€ and it is basically awesome. That's 200€ more than a comparable non 3D TV with outdated tech.

Are ya sure? They're listed on the NA PS store for $14.99 separately, under the 3D tab.

quetz67

Banned
Reallink said:
Are ya sure? They're listed on the NA PS store for $14.99 separately, under the 3D tab.
I read that several times....so problably only exclusive on bluray (didnt find the trilogy on amazon.com)

quetz67

Banned
Piggus said:
I know nothing about these. Will they be universally compatible? I love my new Toshiba 3DTV but the crosstalk in some games is annoying. GT5 in cockpit view would be AMAZING without the crosstalk.

My friend and I tried COD on 360 in 3D and there was so much crosstalk that we thought glasses weren't even working. It was horrible. Granted, the TV hadn't warmed up for long (which is important when using an LCD/LED TV.)

EDIT: Ah these things have a display integrated into them. >___< Not at all what I was expecting.
yeah these: http://3dmoviedude.com/?p=382

guaranteed no crosstalk ;)

...and have a look at plasma, I have not even noticed ghosting at all, though I think it is an psychological thing to a certain degree. I noticed ghosting on my PC LCD though.

Haint

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Whats the word on the Tvs that can use the same type of light plastic glasses you get for movie theatre shows? I dont mind wearing glasses at home for 3D but the glasses are so big and uncomfortable currently.

LG, Toshiba, and especially Vizio are releasing several models that support them this year. I think damn near Vizio's entire line up, even down to the 20" shit, will support them. There is a reason Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic are not on the (current) bandwagon though. For pure PQ, it sounds like the cheap half-res implementations are noticeably inferior to active shutter, but it's really going to be up to Joe Sixpack. Since a lot of PS3 3D (and Broadcast 3D) is sub-HD by default, I would be especially concerned how the passive sets are going to handle it. Presumably, the PS3 will be internally upscaling them to 720p, the TV (fix pixel) will have to upscale that to 1080p, then that will be halved to 540p by the passive implementation. I can't imagine that's going to look anything more than full on Standard Definition--possibly even worse.

Jtrizzy

Just as a heads up in case you didn't know, the VUDU video service has some decent 3d movies/trailers. Unfortunately 720p seems to be the max resolution for their 3d content. Still looks cool and worth checking out.

As for the above post, id be weary of that too. These games are already taking a hit to their resolution, any more would be pretty much unacceptable.

I have so little 3D content at the second (just Stardust HD and some demos), but from what I've messed with so far, it's great. I still need to pick up the Sly Collection, and I didn't know about Enslaved having it, that's something I've got to pick up at a Newegg or Amazon sale.

I respect people's decisions to wait for the glassesless TVs, seems reasonable, but in the meantime I get to enjoy 3D stuff, and if I get tired of it, it's not like I have to use the glasses for 2D mode, it's just a good HD TV then. I just wish Blu-Ray makers weren't screwing around with all this "exclusive" BS.

quetz67 said:
yeah these: http://3dmoviedude.com/?p=382

guaranteed no crosstalk ;)

...and have a look at plasma, I have not even noticed ghosting at all, though I think it is an psychological thing to a certain degree. I noticed ghosting on my PC LCD though.

I have a new LED LCD set from Sony and I haven't noticed any ghosting. I'd just make sure to get one that is > 120 hz.

Also, looks like the glorified demo Motorstotm: 3D Rift will be half off on PSN this week ($5).

MightyKAC

I'm sure that this has been asked more than a few times, but does anyone know of a computer monitor that's compatible with the PS3's 3D?

I think you should add some suggested 3D settings for games that allow it for adding great depth to the games. Gran Turismo 3D isn't that great until you get the settings right. Tumble also is much better when you max out the settings.

I've been 3D gaming for a bout 4 days and I have too say its a great experience.

Hustle Kings 3/5

Tumble 4/5

GT5 4/5( with right settings)
Turn settings to 9 and 0.9 or

Set Cockpit view to narrow , parallax to 10 for a 50" , to 8 for a 65"
Convergence to 0.87.
Get get close enought to the tv to have a correct depth compression.
These settings are much more suited for plasma ,Lcd will probably have too much ghosting with that big a paralax.

You might want to reduce the contrast on the tv too.

On the bumper view (no cockpit ) you might want to test paralax 10 and convergence 0.70

Auditorium HD 2/5

NBA 2k11 -1/5(this patch is worthless)

SuperStar HD 5/5

Wipeout Fury HD 3/5

Will be playing The Fight: Lights Out soon.

Edit: NBA 2K11 is not a worthless patch, I got the settings right and it a great experience. New rating is 3.5/5

quetz67 said:
which demos support stereoscopic 3D?

Couldn't tell you off the top of my head, but there's a special section on the PSN store just for 3D-enabled demos. I do remember Wipeout, MLB, Motorstorm, Swords and Soldiers (pretty weak), I think some PSN puzzle title I'm forgetting, and probably a few more past that.

xemumanic

MightyKAC said:

Exactly what I've been saying for a while now. If I could find a monitor that supported both the 3DTV styles of 3D input, as well as a PC's 120hz input, I'd probably jump at the chance to buy it.

Because then, you wouldn't need to buy Nvidia's 3DTV Play software, which will just end up being a part of the drivers one day anyway, like PureVideo is (sorta, but mainly DXVA took away its usefulness). And also, PCs on a 3DTV wouldn't be stuck at 720p60/1080p24 per eye because of the limitations imposed on those displays.

Fox1304

gluv65 said:
GT5 4/5( with right settings)
Turn settings to 9 and 0.9 or

Set Cockpit view to narrow , parallax to 10 for a 50" , to 8 for a 65"
Convergence to 0.87.
Get get close enought to the tv to have a correct depth compression.
These settings are much more suited for plasma ,Lcd will probably have too much ghosting with that big a paralax.

You might want to reduce the contrast on the tv too.

On the bumper view (no cockpit ) you might want to test paralax 10 and convergence 0.70

those settings don't really satisfy me in cockpit ... and can't find any settings satisfying me :(
Anybody has some clues ?

filopilo

What exactly doesn't work for you ?

If you have a Panasonic, these are the best settings.It's the closer to orthostereo you can get with good paralax (non compressed nor expanded depth and realistic sense of scale).

If you have an LCD ,then you most probably have too much crosstalk .Reduce contrast or paralax or both , but that's as much you can do.

Top Bottom