• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Portable - would you buy one?

Would you buy a PS5 Portable

• Yes

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • No - Sony should make a different handheld

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • No - I don’t want a Sony handheld at all

Votes: 58 45.3%

• Total voters
Last weekend I made a thread and poll discussing the idea of a PS4 Portable. Many here rejected the idea citing that it was too late with cross gen coming to an end and that the tech was too dated

My second proposal is a PS5 Portable which should come out before PS6 (ideally 2026/2027.

My reasons for this are…

- the later they release, the cheaper the launch price would be, ensuring good early sales momentum

- the later they release, the less chance of competition from base PS5 and PS5 Pro

- the later they release, the higher chance of a big existing software library

- releasing before PS6 means they would be able to take advantage of several years of cross-gen output

Last edited:
One more thing, I do not believe a PSP3 or PS Vita 2 would work for several reasons

- Sony can’t support 2 platforms with 2 separate libraries (it’s not the 00s anymore, game dev takes too long)

- Nintendo couldn’t support 2 platforms either, Wii U failed where as Switch has been a huge success

- iPhone changed the game, a small cheap handheld would have to compete with smartphones

tusharngf

Day 1 GIF by Schoolies

If it will be supportet like the PSP yes, if it's left for dead like the Vita or VR no.

My point is it plays ALL PS5 games, regardless of whether or not it’s using some kind of ARM emulation

The console market isn’t like PC, “SteamDeck Verified” wouldn’t be simple enough. It needs to be a clear all or nothing.

Go_Ly_Dow

One more thing, I do not believe a PSP3 or PS Vita 2 would work for several reasons

- Sony can’t support 2 platforms with 2 separate libraries (it’s not the 00s anymore, game dev takes too long)

- Nintendo couldn’t support 2 platforms either, Wii U failed where as Switch has been a huge success

- iPhone changed the game, a small cheap handheld would have to compete with smartphones
Agreed, they're better of perfecting the PS Portal with the Portal 2.

I haven't got the Portal but would pick one up if it improves.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Maybe but how many chip node shrinks away to get it down to acceptable TDP? Quite a few years away....

vivftp

My picture of what a realistic PS5 Portable would be a handheld that releases holiday 2026 and its capabilities are:

- Can play PS1, PS2, PS4 and PSP games natively - everything that's on PSN except for PSVR games
- If/when Sony gets PS3 and PS Vita emulation going, it could play those too
- Can play select PS5 games that have been ported over to it, much like first and third party games that are/will be capable of running on PC handhelds and the Switch 2
- Can also utilize remote play and cloud gaming via PS+ Premium, to at least fill in the gaps for games that can't run natively on the device.

Utilize the Portals basic design, but chonkier.
It'd probably cost $599
I'd buy it day 1

SHA

A sharp 720p display will do wonders, wtf is wrong with that? The 7th gen and 8th gen got the worst kind of scaling, a crisp 720p display will do just fine.

If they support it like the vita....

no GIF

As I said, no need for developers to support it, it just plays PS5 games.

Though an uptick could be that it encourages developers to make more AA/arcadey games like they did on PSP…

…these would run on your PS5 home console as it’s the same game library.

Skifi28

Assuming it plays my library as is sure, but we're in fantasy territory. The tech will not be there for quite a while.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Maybe but how many chip node shrinks away to get it down to acceptable TDP? Quite a few years away....
Which is probably why they went the PS Portal route. The power and heat dissipation requirements would be tough in a handheld form factor.

don-mika

Neo Member
I dont think it should be PS5 portable. Something more independent like Vita with good library and optimization- definitely yes

Agent X

My picture of what a realistic PS5 Portable would be a handheld that releases holiday 2026 and its capabilities are:

- Can play PS1, PS2, PS4 and PSP games natively - everything that's on PSN except for PSVR games
- If/when Sony gets PS3 and PS Vita emulation going, it could play those too
- Can play select PS5 games that have been ported over to it, much like first and third party games that are/will be capable of running on PC handhelds and the Switch 2
- Can also utilize remote play and cloud gaming via PS+ Premium, to at least fill in the gaps for games that can't run natively on the device.

I'm all in on this concept, except for the part about playing "select PS5 games that have been ported over to it".

I would hope that Sony could draw a line in the sand and make either a "portable PS5" that's compatible with all PS5 games, or a "portable PS4" that's compatible with none of them (except through streaming). I don't like the idea of an "in-between" system, as it would create more hassle for developers, and more confusion for customers.

On the development side, this would be a situation like Xbox Series S, which just sticks another tier between Xbox One and Xbox Series X. A large number of PS5 games already have a PS4 version, which probably wouldn't show much difference at the size and resolution of a typical handheld screen. For the PS5 games that don't have a PS4 counterpart, I doubt many developers are eager to go back and make a new, distinct "watered-down" version just to satisfy a new portable.

I also don't know how this would appeal to customers. Would they have to start checking "compatibility lists" to see in their PS5 game of choice works on the system? This wouldn't give much confidence for future games, either.

If it's not feasible to make a portable PS5 at this time, then make a portable PS4 instead, and let customers stream PS5 games from their home PS5 console or from PS Plus Premium. It's too late now to make anything in between.

Was about to say I'd be happy to buy one.......in 2030

I’d expect PS6 to release in Nov 2028

If we were to see an even longer period of cross gen where by publishers are reluctant to leave PS5 behind until 2033, then this could work.

However if it were successful, it could end up prolonging cross-gen even further.

Topher

Gold Member
I’d expect PS6 to release in Nov 2028

If we were to see an even longer period of cross gen where by publishers are reluctant to leave PS5 behind until 2033, then this could work.

However if it were successful, it could end up prolonging cross-gen even further.

I think we are going to get to a point where cross-gen is going to be the norm all gen, tbh.

vivftp

I'm all in on this concept, except for the part about playing "select PS5 games that have been ported over to it".

I would hope that Sony could draw a line in the sand and make either a "portable PS5" that's compatible with all PS5 games, or a "portable PS4" that's compatible with none of them (except through streaming). I don't like the idea of an "in-between" system, as it would create more hassle for developers, and more confusion for customers.

On the development side, this would be a situation like Xbox Series S, which just sticks another tier between Xbox One and Xbox Series X. A large number of PS5 games already have a PS4 version, which probably wouldn't show much difference at the size and resolution of a typical handheld screen. For the PS5 games that don't have a PS4 counterpart, I doubt many developers are eager to go back and make a new, distinct "watered-down" version just to satisfy a new portable.

I also don't know how this would appeal to customers. Would they have to start checking "compatibility lists" to see in their PS5 game of choice works on the system? This wouldn't give much confidence for future games, either.

If it's not feasible to make a portable PS5 at this time, then make a portable PS4 instead, and let customers stream PS5 games from their home PS5 console or from PS Plus Premium. It's too late now to make anything in between.

The problem with introducing a purely PS4 Portable is that it'd be a platform living on borrowed time as the new releases of PS4 games slowly dwindles. Such a device should be made with the expectation of being able to receive new software for at least 5 years, that wouldn't be the case for a PS4 Portable. Yes more legacy software from the PS1/PS2/PSP will also make its way onto PSN that this device could play, but that's a much smaller segment of the market.

At the same time a portable capable of playing all PS5 games is not feasible, the technology just doesn't exist and even if it did the price would be beyond ludicrous.

Sony would be building this device for the sole purpose of keeping folks engaged in the PSN ecosystem, playing more games and spending more money on games and MTX. This device would need to be able to play at least some PS5 games as PS4 support eventually falls away from many of the evergreen titles out there.

The hybrid approach works for 2 simple reasons:

1) Handheld PCs
2) Switch 2

See the brilliance is that many third party devs are already going to be creating versions of their new games that can run on those devices. If the hybrid PS5 Portable I'm proposing is anywhere in the general ballpark of those devices in terms of power then porting the games over would be considerably easier. They'd also be able to utilize PSSR to let this hypothetical handheld punch above its weight class.

Many of SIE's own first party games that've been ported to PC already work on the Steam Deck, so creating a PS5 Portable profile for those games wouldn't be too ludicrous. Future first party PS5 games, some will get PC ports that will work on handheld PCs, so it's just a matter of working out the logistics to create a PS5 Portable profile too. The other first and third party games that're just not possible to port over then fall back on remote play and cloud streaming to be able to play those on the hybrid PS5 Portable I'm proposing.

This is a best of all worlds scenario where the handheld has a MASSIVE back catalog to fall back on, has the prospect of receiving new software for several years and can still rely on remote play/cloud for the more demanding games. Marketing wouldn't be very difficult, just create a new branding and logo like "PS5 Portable Compatible" and slap that on any compatible game on PSN and you're done.

phant0m

something portable that could play PS5 games would have like a 20 minute battery life

they just need to update the portal to support emulation of older systems locally - ps1, ps2, psp, vita

Last edited:

djjinx2

As if they can just make a portable version of everything.
Well it need not be exactly the same. Just run the same games.

I played Spiderman on SD as well as GoW. Not with the fidelity of PS5 but that's not the point, the SD is hardly cutting edge either.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
A new Sony handheld would immediately get my attention. Just needs native software support. Fuck da portal.

FrankWza

I already consider the Portal to be. But if they came out with a portable that played games stored on board it would need to have the ability to use full size DualSense controls and not the flat style ones that the switch has. I understand the need for storage and portability but I can't go back to flat permanently. It would need to be modular and have a connection built in vs wireless. And back buttons too

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Its going to work like this:

You want full fledged PS6 power, use it like Portal tethered to your PS6.

You want to play anywhere for your entire library, accept a small reduction of resolution and assets on the 1080p screen.

That would be a huge win for Sony, because I trust whatever they put in PS6P will be way ahead of anything on the market.

Last edited:

mrqs

Honestly, I can't understand how a Sony-based handheld would work. Can someone explain it to me?

If you have to get a version running on the PS5/PS6, you would also have to make one for the 1/10th as powerful (or not even that) handheld?

Microsoft with Windows has a way better shot at this. I can't see developers going overboard to get a game running on a specific handheld.

Would it be running a PS4 emulator? So it ran only PS4 games? Can we make a handheld like that? Would that be appealing?

I'm not sure a secondary console, being a handheld, made by Sony to only play PlayStation exclusives, would work. A great handheld that runs Windows and can play anything is much more appealing and possible to get it going.

Am I crazy?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I want a PSP 2.

No, not a Vita (though that was also a great portable), I want them to make a new PSP. It had great branding and was a straightforward device.

Closer

Its going to work like this:

You want full fledged PS6 power, use it like Portal tethered to your PS6.

You want to play anywhere for your entire library, accept a small reduction of resolution and assets on the 1080p screen.

That would be a huge win for Sony, because I trust whatever they put in PS6P will be way ahead of anything on the market.

Tomorrow prices for yesterdays tech!

Griffon

Sill no.

Steam Deck is all I need. At last a handheld that I don't have to hack/jailbreak to be able to use to its fullest potential. I'm not going back to a walled garden (more like a prison, given the lack of support those get).

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Which is probably why they went the PS Portal route. The power and heat dissipation requirements would be tough in a handheld form factor.
The most efficient PS5 uses about ~200W while gaming. Handhelds need to operate in the 15-25W range.

So yea, "tough"

Last edited:
Zero interest. PS has a winning combo of home console and the Portal. Going handheld would make way more sense for Xbox since they're more likely to also have steam, epic, etc on it.

Top Bottom