• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro/PSSR Appears to Provide Better Image Reconstruction than DLSS Running on a 4090 GPU

ChiefDada

Gold Member
never-give-up-never-surrender.gif

Such an underrated movie.

PaintTinJr

And in some cases shows a rare glitch.

5cM5uLQ.jpeg
If it was just the hair then it probably would be a glitch, but given the difference in the lower teeth position and the upper teeth gum to the right of the front two teeth being occluded by the upper lip on the Pro, it looks more like a different frame, model or code update with a frustum/camera change on the Pro.

Last edited:

ap_puff

If it was just the hair then it probably would be a glitch, but given the difference in the lower teeth position and the upper teeth gum to the right of the front two teeth being occluded by the upper lip on the Pro, it looks more like a different frame, model or code update with a frustum/camera change on the Pro.
It's definitely a glitch since the "fuzz" artifacts cut off unnaturally halfway down the jawline. I wouldn't worry since these things will naturally get ironed out over time.

PaintTinJr

It's definitely a glitch since the "fuzz" artifacts cut off unnaturally halfway down the jawline. I wouldn't worry since these things will naturally get ironed out over time.
Near the ear just above a sideburn height is a natural height for sweeping tied back non-male hair, and the reason this would be visible on the Pro would be due to an increased FOV, which because AA/AAA game engines render a parallax FOV - like human vision looks in the brain - by default so the render doesn't look flat to our parallax vision looking at a 2D flat display, and instead allows us to see both sides of things slightly like our vision would allow us looking at a diorama of the game world scene.

By increasing the FOV on a Pro version the amount of both sides of an object the camera will see will be increased slightly too - as it appears in that comparison.

Last edited:

FireFly

Sounds like we need to get a dental surgeon in this thread for a real analysis.

PaintTinJr

Sounds like we need to get a dental surgeon in this thread for a real analysis.
Or just engage your brain and think that developers adding PSSR and porting to Pro will add other subtle changes to make the game the best it can be to reignite sales; especially PlayStation first party devs.

FireFly

Or just engage your brain and think that developers adding PSSR and porting to Pro will add other subtle changes to make the game the best it can be to reignite sales; especially PlayStation first party devs.
I get it. If there is a difference in image quality for the worse it must be because of some other change unrelated to PSSR.

PaintTinJr

I get it. If there is a difference in image quality for the worse it must be because of some other change unrelated to PSSR.
Who said it is for the worse? All the images are fine in pure rendering terms, but the last one has the least discontinuities at that massively zoomed in position and probably the best parallax representation, even if so minimal it is only worth mentioning when people are being hyper critical.

llien

"appears"?

How about we wait until the thing releases so that some thorough comparisons can be done using retail units?
If you wait for DF's review, you don't have to wait, cough, results are obvious upfront.

Zatalus said:
How is FSR 1 doing these days
FSR 1, the spacial upscaler that all, bar green shitholes like DF have praised, is improving my user experience with Steam Deck from time to time.

Market share is driven by a lot of factors, cluelessness of the buyer among them.
That is how slower (even at RT gimmick), more power hungry and more expensive 3050 outsold amazing 6600 four to 1.

Zatalus said:
complaints about DF and Nvidia from years ago
That's how reputation works, dumdum.

Q: Does DF repeat BS from Mr Huang, no matter what?
A: Yeah, look at a, b, c, d.

It isn't a hard concept even for not particularly bright.

SpokkX said:
FSR … is shit

1 was worse that whatever AA already out there and even the latest 3.1 looks absolutely terrible, especially in motion

And this statement is based on an actual experience and not amazingly unbiased reviews by we know whom, right? Lol.

FSR1 strength is not needing "support" by the game and just... working. It works fairly well, and all reviewers, such as computerbase or HUB or that Jesus guy... heck, pretty much anyone by the known green shills, have praised it.

A great addition to Steam Deck (and not only).

The glorified TAA derivative by AMD is behind NV's, but calling it "terrible" is either misinformed or simply stupid.

The only "terrible" results you can get with AMD"s glorified TAA upscaling, oh, I"m sorry, from AMD's "AI upscaling" is if you go with really low starting resolution.
It is also less power hungry (naturally, as it needs to ran on gazillion of hardware, including NV's 1000 series) as if hinting at something.

Last edited:

FireFly

Who said it is for the worse? All the images are fine in pure rendering terms, but the last one has the least discontinuities at that massively zoomed in position and probably the best parallax representation, even if so minimal it is only worth mentioning when people are being hyper critical.
Who said we were talking about the image quality overall? The subject was the appearance of a particular haloing effect, which apparently we must attribute to loading a new model (or some other "change"), even though there is no point in the original footage at which a model appears to load in and the haloing is seen throughout the entire clip.

(Naughty Dog must be reserving these "special changes" for the PSSR mode, since the issue was not seen in the Performance or Fidelity mode. So they don't want you to have the imperceptibly different model that will sell more PS5 Pros in the regular modes?)

Last edited:
Reactions: amc

PaintTinJr

Who said we were talking about the image quality overall? The subject was the appearance of a particular haloing effect, which apparently we must attribute to loading a new model (or some other "change"), even though there is no point in the original footage at which a model appears to load in and the haloing is seen throughout the entire clip.

(Naughty Dog must be reserving these "special changes" for the PSSR mode, since the issue was not seen in the Performance or Fidelity mode. So they don't want you to have the imperceptibly different model that will sell more PS5 Pros in the regular modes?)
You misunderstood, not loading a new model in the scene - I was meaning the Pro version may have a revised updated model that is just subtly different from the PS5 model.

You are calling it a haloing, but it is hair, just hair not visible on older different frustum configs.

• Empathy
Reactions: amc

llien

Proper reviews are needed, from someone reputable.

Speaking of DF, how is their "8k gaming" content doing? Remember, when Mr Huang has marketed 3090 for "8k gaming"?

And some folks said:

What did DF do back then?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
When Mr Huang lied about 3080 being 2 times faster than 2080, what did DF do?
Did you just step out of a cryo chamber? It’s almost 2025. You haven’t posted regularly since 2021 and you’re here derailing the thread posting irrelevant drivel about shit from 2020.

No one cares. Make another thread if you wanna take a trip down memory lane to shit on Ampere’s marketing.

FireFly

You are calling it a haloing, but it is hair, just hair not visible on older different frustum configs.
In the video, it is introduced as one example of haloing. Listening back, Oliver also says the same effect is seen in the other modes but at different points. If it's hair, then Abby has hair only on the very edge of her face and only up to where her jaw is.

llien

When DF reviewer messed with not normally exposed game settings and essentially faked the FSR 1 review, botching the image, did they apologize or double down?

Zatalus said:
Who cares? FSR 1 was, and still remains, dog shit. No amount of game settings will make it anything better than a spatial upscaler.

Who cares that reviewer shows clear bias up to quite noticeable criminal energy applied to shit on competitors? Hm.

As for "FSR 1 is shit" down to unusable - this demonstrates actual awareness and typical IQ level in this thread. Perhaps you should pull your heads out of DF's biased arse more often, pardon my French.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

In the video, it is introduced as one example of haloing. Listening back, Oliver also says the same effect is seen in the other modes but at different points. If it's hair, then Abby has hair only on the very edge of her face and only up to where her jaw is.
DF say lots and lots of things that are absolute garbage, but the picture as presented doesn't look like haloing. If there are other ones that are, post them and we'll have a decent discussion about them on merit for what they are, and are not.

Zathalus

When DF reviewer messed with not normally exposed game settings and essentially faked the FSR 1 review, botching the image, did they apologize or double down?
Who cares? FSR 1 was, and still remains, dog shit. No amount of game settings will make it anything better than a spatial upscaler.

PaintTinJr

The majority of PC gamers in the world that aren't using steam and playing on a laptop with integrated graphics that can actually use FSR's in a transformative way, that's who.

FireFly

Well obviously we all knew that, so how would that change anything I said about them talking rubbish and presenting new images- obviously captured from the video - to discuss them on merit?
You asked me to provide the source and I did. Feel free to post your opinions about whether the momentary white outline on Abby's face still seems like hair. (We can come back to the subject once more footage emerges).

Gaiff

The majority of PC gamers in the world that aren't using steam and playing on a laptop with integrated graphics that can actually use FSR's in a transformative way, that's who.
Most of those people are playing indie 2D browser games or Solitaire. Why would they care about FSR?

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'd like to better understand where/how the additional 45% GPU power is being applied because many of the games implementing PSSR have simply adopted the performance mode of base PS5 without improving graphics. In the case of TLOU, what once took them 16.67ms/frame should now take them 11.5ms/frame; taking 2ms PSSR budget into account, that would equate to a theoretical render budget of 13.5ms with 3ms+ to spare, which is a LOT for 60fps budget. Now someone may counter by saying "up to 45% GPU lift", but my response would be that both TLOU Remastered and TLOU Pt. 1 both run ~75fps range most of the time so I am actually being conservative with my numbers (By extension, we should be seeing TLOU games easily running 100fps+ on average in the modes DF has been testing).

For games like Spider-Man and Ratchet, it's even more mind boggling because they already had render budget reserved for ITGI, so net PSSR cost should be more favorable. So again I ask, where is the additional power going??

PaintTinJr

You asked me to provide the source and I did. Feel free to post your opinions about whether the momentary white outline on Abby's face still seems like hair. (We can come back to the subject once more footage emerges).
The lines aren't white. they are the colour of her other hair too.

Shouldn't even need to magic wand select them with small 10% error margin to determine that, you should be able to eyeball it straight from the picture.

Last edited:

Zathalus

PC gamers that don’t use Steam I can get, after all lots of major PC games are not on it. PC gamers that are not on Steam and rely on integrated graphics probably don’t even know what FSR is or would even really need it.

PaintTinJr

Most of those people are playing indie 2D browser games or Solitaire. Why would they care about FSR?
Minecraft is one of the biggest games in the world and FSR unlocks the ability to use shaders or play at much higher resolution and frame-rate on laptop, and the same will be true of FPS games.

Gaiff

I'd like to better understand where/how the additional 45% GPU power is being applied because many of the games implementing PSSR have simply adopted the performance mode of base PS5 without improving graphics. In the case of TLOU, what once took them 16.67ms/frame should now take them 11.5ms/frame; taking 2ms PSSR budget into account, that would equate to a theoretical render budget of 13.5ms with 3ms+ to spare, which is a LOT for 60fps budget. Now someone may counter by saying "up to 45% GPU lift", but my response would be that both TLOU Remastered and TLOU Pt. 1 both run ~75fps range most of the time so I am actually being conservative with my numbers (By extension, we should be seeing TLOU games easily running 100fps+ on average in the modes DF has been testing).

For games like Spider-Man and Ratchet, it's even more mind boggling because they already had render budget reserved for ITGI, so net PSSR cost should be more favorable. So again I ask, where is the additional power going??
It's a bit all over the place because the mode using PSSR is locked to 60. There's the unlocked frame rate mode that should still be available, but will it use PSSR? If not, you'll just see the game going from 60-80fps to 80-110fps but without the improved IQ. I guess that'd be a cool pseudo-120Hz mode, but the CPU might start to struggle at those frame rates.

Minecraft is one of the biggest games in the world and FSR unlocks the ability to use shaders or play at much higher resolution and frame-rate on laptop, and the same will be true of FPS games.
Most of them play Minecraft through their browsers or tablets where FSR is a non-factor. You're addressing a non-problem.

Last edited:

FireFly

The lines aren't white. they are the colour of her other hair too.

Shouldn't even need to magic wand select them with small 10% error margin to determine that, you should be able to eyeball it straight from the picture.
I misspoke, since they actually look more skin coloured to me. But I'm not going to resort to checking RGB values at various points at Abby's face, since the discussion will simply shift to some other element, without acknowledging that the "hair" only appears at a particular part of the edge of Abby's face, like a kind of "mane".

PaintTinJr

I misspoke, since they actually look more skin coloured to me. But I'm not going to resort to checking RGB values at various points at Abby's face, since the discussion will simply shift to some other element, without acknowledging that the "hair" only appears at a particular part of the edge of Abby's face, like a kind of "mane".
I don't know what to tell you other than it looks like a perfectly normal expected result from a parallax rendered image of that human. Even the title image for the video has a similar side profile picture with visible hair in that location.

MacReady13

I don't get it. I'm getting the PS5 Pro because I like PS5 and want to play it in the best light, not because I seriously think it is going to compare to a GPU that is in a PC build that is a good four to five times more expensive.
Spot on. I cannot believe some people complaining over whether something will remain at 120 or 60 or whatever! Since when did we become such knobs over shit like this? People waiting for digital foundry to tell them whether something stays at 60 for 99% of the time or not is insane!

I’m getting a Pro cause I have a ps5 and just want to upgrade to the latest and greatest. I’m not after the best PC quality on a console. Impossible to achieve for the price we are paying. I’m happy with what we will get. Simple as that.

Just wish some could stop with the pissing contest. You have a beefy PC? Good stuff. You have consoles? Good stuff. Enjoy what you have. I struggle to imagine you guys playing the N64 and PS1/Saturn with those frame rates and resolutions! How would any of you played in those days???

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It's a bit all over the place because the mode using PSSR is locked to 60. There's the unlocked frame rate mode that should still be available, but will it use PSSR? If not, you'll just see the game going from 60-80fps to 80-110fps but without the improved IQ. I guess that'd be a cool pseudo-120Hz mode, but the CPU might start to struggle at those frame rates.

I'm saying what they showed us with PSSR should be hitting ~100fps average when uncapped. It should be plenty horsepower from CPU and GPU to get us there and these are last gen games so CPU shouldn't struggle much at all.

Gaiff

I'm saying what they showed us with PSSR should be hitting ~100fps average when uncapped.
Perhaps, but it's capped, isn't it? Will the uncapped mode remain or did they get rid of all the modes and just kept 1440p upscaled to 4K using PSSR?
It should be plenty horsepower from CPU and GPU to get us there and these are last gen games so CPU shouldn't struggle much at all.
I think NxGamer tested Uncharted 4 on his 3700x and 6800 and he was apparently running into CPU issues at around 110fps. Whatever engine ND is using is much better optimized on consoles, so it could perform comparatively a lot better on PS5/Pro. The 3700x is faster than what the consoles have though, so it's important to keep that in mind. It might not even be necessarily that the CPU isn't fast enough either. Could be that the thread usage maxes out the main ones at 100fps+ because the engine just wasn't designed around hitting those frame rates. I'm just speculating.

FireFly

I don't know what to tell you other than it looks like a perfectly normal expected result from a parallax rendered image of that human. Even the title image for the video has a similar side profile picture with visible hair in that location.
Well here for example there is no extra hair I can see:

(PS5 Pro image from DF article)

So I presume it "pops" up only in certain key moments of the game? Like a special model which gives Abby a mane of hair only around the side of part of her cheek. Unless she shaves normally and just had a bad shaving day in that particular cutscene.

Top Bottom