• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puppeteer |OT| $40, No Strings Attached

Thanks for letting me know. I've seen evidence that the store description has only mentioned the static theme since the pre-order went up, so it's looking like the description is just screwed up. Just to be certain, you pre-ordered from the US store, right? The UK description details everything.

Oh damn, sorry, I didn't notice you were talking about the US store. I pre-ordered from the UK store.

Sucks if the US store has removed the pre-order bonuses. Have you tried to email support or give them a call about it?

Mik_Pad

Banned
Jesus, that's incredibly stupid. What the hell is the reasoning for doing that?

I don't know but they had confirmed before they would include the Theatrical Pack for US Digital Pre orders:

+ Mick Perona on June 5th, 2013 at 8:48 am said:

Hi ShadiWulf – Yep! You’ll be able to preorder on PSN in the coming weeks to get the Theatrical Pack! The Theatrical Pack is only available to those that preorder though, so make sure you preorder at your favorite retailer soon, or on PS Store when the digital pre-order comes available.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/05/puppeteer-hero-heads-e3-trailer-pre-order-extras-revealed/#comment-861439

So I don't know who is wrong here :/

androvsky

The PS Blog posted an article yesterday regarding Puppeteer:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/06/puppeteer-takes-over-san-francisco/

So apparently US digital preorders won't get the bonuses :/

I'm mad.

WTF SCEA. Gamestop it is.

Oh damn, sorry, I didn't notice you were talking about the US store. I pre-ordered from the UK store.

Sucks if the US store has removed the pre-order bonuses. Have you tried to email support or give them a call about it?
I didn't actually buy it. The store pops up a notice after you hit the buy button on pre-orders, and I backed out when I noticed it said a static theme.

I don't know but they had confirmed before they would include the Theatrical Pack for US Digital Pre orders:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/05/puppeteer-hero-heads-e3-trailer-pre-order-extras-revealed/#comment-861439

So I don't know who is wrong here :/
Notice the comment saying it does come with the Theatrical Pack is from June 5. That's more than enough time for SCEA to mess... err, I mean for things to change. If it's the week before the game comes out and they don't know what's coming with it, they're not getting a high-profit digital sale from me.

I apologize if this has been covered but for those that have played the demo and/or game, what is the difficulty like? I'm excited for this game either way, but I'm hoping for a challenge.

I've just gone through the demo...

Can someone please tell me if this is coming out on ps4, has anything been mentioned?
nothing wrong with the ps3 version, but it would really benefit from being 1080p or 60fps.
The controls seem fine, and the attention to detail is amazing, so many flashbacks of banjo kazooie and the old rare team in terms of playful creativeness.
But i can't help but wonder why this isn't on ps4, i would buy a ps4 if this was on it in higher res.
A game with this much love poured into it deserves a machine capable of doing it justice. Why the hell is knack being promoted as a ps4 big launch game when this really should have been polished up and taken its' place.
I'm not keen on the motion blur and it just seems like the visuals really deserve either 60fps or 1080p, the side scrolling backgrounds especially deserve 60fps.
This is my only complaint so far from the demo, it's clear that the developers enjoyed making this so i'm really looking forward to it.

I've just gone through the demo...

Can someone please tell me if this is coming out on ps4, has anything been mentioned?
nothing wrong with the ps3 version, but it would really benefit from being 1080p or 60fps.
The controls seem fine, and the attention to detail is amazing, so many flashbacks of banjo kazooie and the old rare team in terms of playful creativeness.
But i can't help but wonder why this isn't on ps4, i would buy a ps4 if this was on it in higher res.
A game with this much love poured into it deserves a machine capable of doing it justice. Why the hell is knack being promoted as a ps4 big launch game when this really should have been polished up and taken its' place.
I'm not keen on the motion blur and it just seems like the visuals really deserve either 60fps or 1080p, the side scrolling backgrounds especially deserve 60fps.
This is my only complaint so far from the demo, it's clear that the developers enjoyed making this so i'm really looking forward to it.

No word on PS4 release and probably not going to happen. I think Vita port is more likely and even that might not happen (plus would probably get a big hit on the lightning.

No word on PS4 release and probably not going to happen.

That's a massive shame, from the demo i'd say that this game more than any other on the ps3 deserves to be seen in 60fps and 1080p. I kind of feel sorry for the developers.
(as if i didn't already given the incoming poor sales)

Radec

I haven't been checking this game but this seems like a great one.

Still not sure if I'll buy it though.

Needed funds for GTAV :/

Sequel on PS4 will be all kinds of amazing, so I wouldn't be too bummed out by it not being on PS4 at launch.

wait... sequel, when did this get announced?
i assumed that this would be a one off game, it has potential for a franchise but i was unaware that they had already started on a ps4 sequel. that's great news if true.
if not, then i'm still pissed at it being 30fps and 720p, it really deserves better. All my other ps3 games, whilst they would be nice in 1080p and 60fps it's not essential.
This game however, really would benefit. There are too many small details and animations being lost due to the frame rate and resolution.

wait... sequel, when did this get announced?
i assumed that this would be a one off game, it has potential for a franchise but i was unaware that they had already started on a ps4 sequel. that's great news.

They haven't announced a sequel, apologies if my post made it seem like that. I'm assuming that Sony will be looking to turn this into a franchise and the sequel will appear on PS4 at some point.

They haven't announced a sequel, apologies if my post made it seem like that. I'm assuming that Sony will be looking to turn this into a franchise and the sequel will appear on PS4 at some point.

I get the feeling that they looked at knack and puppeteer at early development stages, and they decided to go with knack as a new ps4 franchise. So if either game is getting a sequel it will be that sadly.
I was hoping for a twilight princess kind of situation with this game.

Oh dear...... This is bad, really really bad. 4 seconds of footage at the end of a 4 minute video. no one will be able to make it to the end either

Holy shit, this deserves its own thread. GIF potential is off the charts.. Goddamn.

I get the feeling that they looked at knack and puppeteer at early development stages, and they decided to go with knack as a new ps4 franchise. So if either game is getting a sequel it will be that sadly.

God, I hope not. I think Knack looks great and I'd love to see that turned into a franchise but not at the expense of this.

ekOr0Is.gif

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just a few thoughts now that the embargo has been lifted:

One of this game's few flaws is that it's a bit too easy. Anyone hoping for some brutal platforming challenges isn't gonna find that here; if you're an experienced player you're gonna breeze right through most of it. The game also showers you with extra lives, so yeah, it's not very challenging. That doesn't mean it's not fun though. The platforming feels great, and the presentation is amazing. So I absolutely do recommend the game. Just keep the rather low difficulty in mind. It's also not a terribly long game, although that's expected given its low price. It also means it doesn't risk outstaying its welcome.

Stream's over. Sorry if we sounded dead, we were both up really late and my partner on the stream isn't a platforming fan. The game is decent. I'm a little let down due to the lengthy cut scenes that keep you from playing, as well as the feeling that there's untapped potential in a really cool idea. We'll see if that changes as I progress.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Too easy and too many cutscenes? Yea, real glad I didn't preorder. I'm sure it'll be free on PS+ eventually.

I wouldn't really say I agree with the point about cutscenes. Yes, there are quite a few of them, but most are really short (basically just setting up the theme of the level, etc), and those that are longer add quite a bit to the game's lovely theatrical presentation.

Feindflug

Stream's over. Sorry if we sounded dead, we were both up really late and my partner on the stream isn't a platformed fan. The game is decent. I'm a little let down due to the lengthy cut scenes that keep you from playing, as well as the feeling that there's untapped potential in a really cool idea. We'll see if that changes as I progress.

I watched the boss before the stream stopped and that was one lengthy and repetitive fight...hopefully the rest of the boss fights are better than this one.

And yeah it was pretty apparent that your partner isn't a platformer fan when he said that this game should've been downloadable. A lot of people these days see platformers as a less demanding or "cheaper' genre which is weird IMO. :/

I watched the boss before the stream stopped and that was one lengthy and repetitive fight...hopefully the rest of the boss fights are better than this one.

And yeah it was pretty apparent that your partner isn't a platformer fan when he said that this game should've been downloadable. A lot of people these days see platformers as a less demanding or "cheaper' genre which is weird IMO. :/

Yeah. It says something about that battle when he thought we were doing something wrong. I agree though - I think a solid, content filled platformer deserves a full priced release. Origins in particular was worth every penny.

Rayman Legends is pretty easy so far, even though the final levels I hear are brutal, and I got that for $60.

Well Rayman is only $40 on Steam and I was already considering it... given how much more content it has over this it's not a hard choice to make. Sony picked a real bad time to release this game, I'm sure if it was a PS4 title or released earlier in the summer it may have actually had a chance.

jgmo870

Banned
Well Rayman is only $40 on Steam and I was already considering it... given how much more content it has over this it's not a hard choice to make. Sony picked a real bad time to release this game, I'm sure if it was a PS4 title or released earlier in the summer it may have actually had a chance.

The main campaigns seem more-or-less the same length to me. Unless I'm missing something.

Legends doesn't really have that much content if you don't count the Origins levels wich are a huge part of it.

I wouldn't really say I agree with the point about cutscenes. Yes, there are quite a few of them, but most are really short (basically just setting up the theme of the level, etc), and those that are longer add quite a bit to the game's lovely theatrical presentation.

one of the main reviews, i think gamespot, said the cutscenes were around 4-5 minutes, some taking as long as 7
is this true?
Keep metal gear away from my platformers......

Tizoc

Well Puppeteer is $40 on PSN, with an extra discount for US PS members ;3
Really even if a game is easy, if you've enjoyed it and/or it offered an entertaining experiece, would it matter if it was 20, 40 or 60 dollars?

one of the main reviews, i think gamespot, said the cutscenes were around 4-5 minutes, some taking as long as 7
is this true?

I haven't seen one hit 7, but yeah, maybe a little less, around 3-4.

Well Puppeteer is $40 on PSN, with an extra discount for US PS members ;3
Really even if a game is easy, if you've enjoyed it and/or it offered an entertaining experiece, would it matter if it was 20, 40 or 60 dollars?

Well, it depends on what you want from your experience. Difficulty for me feels really rewarding and adds to my experience (I usually crank up the difficulty for this reason). I agree though that some games, difficulty can be overlooked (Journey comes to mind.) I personally like my platformers to test me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
is this true?

There are a few instances of rather long cutscenes, one basically being a full-blown musical number. Pretty funny stuff. But most are not that long at all.

sheaaaa

I've been playing the Asian version of this in English (Singaporean here), and I'm enjoying it.

Not GOTY material by any stretch of the imagination but it's unlike any other platformer out there.

If you're looking for something to test you like Donkey Kong Country Returns this may not be the game for you though. Levels are most of the time split into tens of single/two screen sections, each requiring some light platforming to clear. I'm only a bit through Act 4, so this could change.

You're really playing for the aesthetic and story. That's where Puppeteer shines. It's a clever, charming little tale here. There are a lot of cutscenes but they don't outstay their welcome and never last more than say, 5 mins at most.

Happy to answer questions if you guys have any, im only midway through Act 4 though.

Ugh really disappointing about cutscenes and difficulty.

Yup. I like my platformers to be a little challenging. However if this is the case I welcome the cutscenes if they help to drive the game foreward without being tedious.

Soon I'll get to play it so no point in worrying tho.

God, I hope not. I think Knack looks great and I'd love to see that turned into a franchise but not at the expense of this.

I think that the problem with a sequel is going to be that I don't see this game selling enough to justify it, sadly :( .... I hope I'm wrong, but already seems like it's going to tank in Japan and I don't think it can do better in the west...

VanWinkle

Game will come in tomorrow from Amazon. I'm EXTREMELY excited. I had to choose between getting this now or KZ: Mercenary now, and chose Puppeteer. I'm really excited for KZ too, but it can wait until I get my next paycheck.

3 hours till it activates for EU folk if I'm not mistaken?

Or do we even know when it does :p. It only says ''less than one day'' at the webstore.

sucks to hear about the low difficulty but im still excited to pick up my copy tomorrow.

makes no sense why the digital version wouldn't have the theatrical pack

wake up SCEA!

wouwie

3 hours till it activates for EU folk if I'm not mistaken?

Or do we even know when it does :p. It only says ''less than one day'' at the webstore.

I was under the impression that the game is released on 11/09 so i assume you have to add an extra 24 hours to your estimation? Maybe midnight 11/09?

Top Bottom