• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puppeteer |OT| $40, No Strings Attached

Atolm

Sadly, it seems the game mega-bombed in Japan, with just 10% of units sold. Oh well. I don't want to hear any complains about how iterative and formulaic AAA games are when this or Wonderful 101 fail.

Sadly, it seems the game mega-bombed in Japan, with just 10% of units sold. Oh well. I don't want to hear any complains about how iterative and formulaic AAA games are when this or Wonderful 101 fail.

I do get the feeling this won't sell well, which is a terrible shame. Coming out so close to GTAV is going to be a death sentence.

That said, I pre-ordered so I've done my bit I suppose!

Ratrat

That's too bad. And unlike 101 this was actually promoted quite well in Japan.

Kuro

Jesus Sony, you fucked up by not pushing this more. Looks way more interesting than Knack.

Anyway, great review. The power up thing sort of reminds me of Mario in how you would need to come with specific power up from other levels to find secrets and you lose them in a similar way.

My preorder is ready, cant wait.

Puppeteer would have actually sold pretty well as a PS4 launch title I think. It might still sell well on PS3. Sly 4 was a similar deal with a lower price and I remember that profited somewhat.

Mifune

Mehmber
I think it will sell fine overall. These all-ages games always seem to find an audience on Playstation. Not huge numbers but enough to make the whole endeavor worthwhile.

Nice, the only thing that made me sad about the retail version is no manual, instead they use the reversible cover as instructions :/

Ugh, I hate games that do this. I get that they don't want to put a manual in the box but at least don't mess up the boxart with this crap.

Nice. I can barely afford one copy, let alone double dip lol.

I rarely double dip but figured what the hell. I had a tidy sum on my PSN account which I had hoped to use during the Summer Festival sale, but that was a colossal bust and sales since haven't exactly been all that great either.

Hanmik

Does anyone know what the 3D in this is like? Do the visuals take a significant hit like many other games?

3D is great... best 3D I have ever seen in a videogame.. the visuals are the same in 3D as they are without 3D. I played the game on a 42" LG 3D Tv with passive 3D, and it looked amazing. My youngest daughter watched me sometimes, and asked if she could touch the stuff that came out of the TV. ;o)

ohh and my review is up in 5 min.

This should be the PS4's family friendly game for launch. Knack looks like Cerny's pet project and like a very, very underwhelming one. On the other hand, Puppeeter looks fraking fantastic. Don't dun goof on me, Sony!

IGN Review

Now shall I go digital or retail...

Gamespot 9/10

Our review is up, no time to do a full translation but you get our conclusion and more importantly all our videos :)
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_we_reviewed_puppeteer-14583_en.html
Driftwood liked it quite a lot!

Gamekult gave it a 7/10, mostly because of a meh/unoriginal gameplay:
http://www.gamekult.com/jeux/test-puppeteer-J3050053500t.html#ps3

Wow, nice to see it mostly killing it in reviews. I haven't played the demo, but complaining about it having unoriginal gameplay when someone who has played it compared it to DCKR is just wrong on so many levels.

This should be the PS4's family friendly game for launch. Knack looks like Cerny's pet project and like a very, very underwhelming one. On the other hand, Puppeeter looks fraking fantastic. Don't dun goof on me, Sony!

Hey, Knack looks great. It's a pure old school platformer from the same school as Crash, Croc, Spyro, etc. Give it a chance before completely writing it off, I think it will turn out to be one of the must own titles at launch.

Hey, Knack looks great. It's a pure old school platformer from the same school as Crash, Croc, Spyro, etc. Give it a chance before completely writing it off, I think it will turn out to be one of the must own titles at launch.

I hope so. I miss the good ol' platformers, but Knack has not made a good impression on me. Don't think I wish ill on the game, let alone on Cerny. It's just that Puppeeter looks like something special while Knack looks more like a hit-or-miss throwback, but that's just my opinion. I wish both games do more than well.

Puppeteer would have actually sold pretty well as a PS4 launch title I think. It might still sell well on PS3. Sly 4 was a similar deal with a lower price and I remember that profited somewhat.
I hope it does well. In all of the PS4 hype, I hope titles like this don't get forgotten in the wayside.

I've played Knack, and while I think it's pretty fun and agree that people are underselling it, this just seems so much more compelling to me.

Puppeteer feels like one of those gem of titles you would really remember fondly from childhood. Seems like it has so much more personality, love and care and from what we can see, the gameplay is pretty good too.

Hanmik

I really loved Puppeteer. I was about to give it a perfect score in my review.. but then I decided to try some acts again, and it dawned on me that I had been fooled a bit by the fantastic graphics and presentation.. the core gameplay is fun and works great, but there is enough of it.. to me it seemed like 50% playing the game and 50% watching the amazing act that is Puppeteer... and while the gameplay is great, there is a little to much emphasis on button mashing. You have to press square rappidly to fly with the scissors, and other buttons rappidly to do other stuff..

But Puppeteer is an amazing expirience, that you have to see to understand.

This game should be a cross generation tittle between the PS Vita, PS3 and PS4. This game is just too good to bomb so badly

Don't know why, the game seems to be reviewing really well, but I've had almost zero interest in the game. Really think it should have been a spin off of LBP as at least that game has some brand recognition.

I hope so. I miss the good ol' platformers, but Knack has not made a good impression on me. Don't think I wish ill on the game, let alone on Cerny. It's just that Puppeeter looks like something special while Knack looks more like a hit-or-miss throwback, but that's just my opinion. I wish both games do more than well.

Puppeteer does indeed look much better, but Knack seems to have a lot more old school magic to its gameplay. I guess it will come down to gameplay, but I see a lot of Crash, etc whenever I see a gameplay video of Knack and that excites me greatly.

I've played Knack, and while I think it's pretty fun and agree that people are underselling it, this just seems so much more compelling to me.

Puppeteer feels like one of those gem of titles you would really remember fondly from childhood. Seems like it has so much more personality, love and care and from what we can see, the gameplay is pretty good too.

Yeah, I can understand Puppteer turning out better as it's had a lot more focus than Knack (which might have suffered slightly due to Cerny doing so much), but I think it will turn out to be a great title and will be remembered as one of the better launch titles when we look back in a few years.

Coen

Between the Last of Us, The Puppeteer, Ratchet & Clank and Beyond, the PS3's last year of exclusives is just stellar both in quality and variety. Bodes well for PS4.

Gosh, I'm a little concerned that the presentation is picking up the slack left by the gameplay. I'll probably keep my pre-order anyway, but that isn't what I was hoping for.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Gosh, I'm a little concerned that the presentation is picking up the slack left by the gameplay. I'll probably keep my pre-order anyway, but that isn't what I was hoping for.
Gameplay is fine, it's a proper platformer.

Ugh, I hate games that do this. I get that they don't want to put a manual in the box but at least don't mess up the boxart with this crap.

The giant Move logo on the front of the U.S box art already does a pretty good job of destroying any good box art.

Puppeteer_box_art.jpg

The giant Move logo on the front of the U.S box art already does a pretty good job of destroying any good box art.

Puppeteer_box_art.jpg
The worst part about that box art is that you can see the negative space that's being wasted up top where they could shift the art upward a bit and the cover wouldn't suffer for it at all. YET THEY STILL JUST LEFT IT AS IS!! Yes Sony, this is launching at a cheaper price point but that doesn't mean you should skimp on the quality of the cover!

zroid

Banned
WHAT THE CRAP

why is the demo 6GB???

jesus. well, I'm definitely not bothering with that... would require way too much fridge cleaning, not to mention bandwidth.

1337Sauce

Wow so I don't usually post that often, but this just made my day so I felt like I had to share this story on GAF.

I was on my way home from my university classes today and decided to stop by walmart with my girlfriend because we both had to pick up some random stuff for the weekend. While I was walking by the electronics, I noticed they had removed all of the glass cases that the games are usually locked behind and just walked a bit closer to look at what they had. (Not too sure why, but they were moving the whole department around and I think they have just chosen to get rid of them because of the hassle of constantly unlocking and locking them.) When I got to the PS3 section, I noticed this game sitting like right in the middle of the shelf and just quickly picked up a copy because I didn't know if it was actually supposed to be out there or not and was sure that the manager was going to notice it sooner or later and take it off because he was literally one or two shelfs over.

The only thing that I was worried about was it not being able to scan because of release date restrictions, so, preferring to take the honest route I asked the manager what the game was doing on the shelf since it wasn't supposed to be released until Tuesday. He told me that while he knew this, but because he saw my eyeing the game he decided that he would just wait until I made my decision to remove it off the shelf, and that if I wanted the game he would sell it to my right now since it was on display. I was actually so shocked since these things don't usually happen for me, but the manager was so nice about it...I'm sure he must have been the head of the department or a manager of the store or something, but then he was also talking to me about him wanting to play the game as well and hoping that it sells well. It was just so surprising that somebody in Walmart actually knew what they were talking about and at the same time sold me the game pretty early.

Definitely made my day. Just got home so I will hopefully be loading it up in an hour or so and am definitely willing to answer any questions that anybody has about the game? I don't know too much and am going in pretty blindly, so I don't know if I will actually be any help or not but whatever haha.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Wow so I don't usually post that often, but this just made my day so I felt like I had to share this story on GAF.

I was on my way home from my university classes today and decided to stop by walmart with my girlfriend because we both had to pick up some random stuff for the weekend. While I was walking by the electronics, I noticed they had removed all of the glass cases that the games are usually locked behind and just walked a bit closer to look at what they had. (Not too sure why, but they were moving the whole department around and I think they have just chosen to get rid of them because of the hassle of constantly unlocking and locking them.) When I got to the PS3 section, I noticed this game sitting like right in the middle of the shelf and just quickly picked up a copy because I didn't know if it was actually supposed to be out there or not and was sure that the manager was going to notice it sooner or later and take it off because he was literally one or two shelfs over.

The only thing that I was worried about was it not being able to scan because of release date restrictions, so, preferring to take the honest route I asked the manager what the game was doing on the shelf since it wasn't supposed to be released until Tuesday. He told me that while he knew this, but because he saw my eyeing the game he decided that he would just wait until I made my decision to remove it off the shelf, and that if I wanted the game he would sell it to my right now since it was on display. I was actually so shocked since these things don't usually happen for me, but the manager was so nice about it...I'm sure he must have been the head of the department or a manager of the store or something, but then he was also talking to me about him wanting to play the game as well and hoping that it sells well. It was just so surprising that somebody in Walmart actually knew what they were talking about and at the same time sold me the game pretty early.

Definitely made my day. Just got home so I will hopefully be loading it up in an hour or so and am definitely willing to answer any questions that anybody has about the game? I don't know too much and am going in pretty blindly, so I don't know if I will actually be any help or not but whatever haha.
Nice, enjoy it and please post impressions :)

Top Bottom