• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puppeteer |OT| $40, No Strings Attached

Yup. SCEA employs someone specifically to fuck it up for the U.S version.

I can certainly believe it. Why didn't they just copy the way it's done over here...Pretty sure this isn't the first boxart they've ruined with that atrocious Move logo either.

Wow so I don't usually post that often, but this just made my day so I felt like I had to share this story on GAF.

I was on my way home from my university classes today and decided to stop by walmart with my girlfriend because we both had to pick up some random stuff for the weekend. While I was walking by the electronics, I noticed they had removed all of the glass cases that the games are usually locked behind and just walked a bit closer to look at what they had. (Not too sure why, but they were moving the whole department around and I think they have just chosen to get rid of them because of the hassle of constantly unlocking and locking them.) When I got to the PS3 section, I noticed this game sitting like right in the middle of the shelf and just quickly picked up a copy because I didn't know if it was actually supposed to be out there or not and was sure that the manager was going to notice it sooner or later and take it off because he was literally one or two shelfs over.

The only thing that I was worried about was it not being able to scan because of release date restrictions, so, preferring to take the honest route I asked the manager what the game was doing on the shelf since it wasn't supposed to be released until Tuesday. He told me that while he knew this, but because he saw my eyeing the game he decided that he would just wait until I made my decision to remove it off the shelf, and that if I wanted the game he would sell it to my right now since it was on display. I was actually so shocked since these things don't usually happen for me, but the manager was so nice about it...I'm sure he must have been the head of the department or a manager of the store or something, but then he was also talking to me about him wanting to play the game as well and hoping that it sells well. It was just so surprising that somebody in Walmart actually knew what they were talking about and at the same time sold me the game pretty early.

Definitely made my day. Just got home so I will hopefully be loading it up in an hour or so and am definitely willing to answer any questions that anybody has about the game? I don't know too much and am going in pretty blindly, so I don't know if I will actually be any help or not but whatever haha.

Ahh, you lucky sod. Spill the beans on the controls when you've had a proper chance to play it please.

zroid

Banned
The JP box art is definitely the best. It's still similar to the others, but the subtle differences leave a much better impression.

61sVxXKN2GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

zroid

Banned
It doesn't have the shitty move logo.

True, lol (I wonder why?), but that wasn't even to what I was referring. The frame is positioned higher than the other two box arts, the colour -- especially of the curtain -- seems a bit more vibrant, the decision to not have the thing covering his arm, and you can see more sky in the background. The whole thing just looks much better overall, despite being almost the same image.

I played the Japanese version of the game (its English) for one hour or so, if anyone have any questions about it, shoot.

The game is quite awesome by the way, sky-high production values it seems.

PureGone

Banned
Wow so I don't usually post that often, but this just made my day so I felt like I had to share this story on GAF.

I was on my way home from my university classes today and decided to stop by walmart with my girlfriend because we both had to pick up some random stuff for the weekend. While I was walking by the electronics, I noticed they had removed all of the glass cases that the games are usually locked behind and just walked a bit closer to look at what they had. (Not too sure why, but they were moving the whole department around and I think they have just chosen to get rid of them because of the hassle of constantly unlocking and locking them.) When I got to the PS3 section, I noticed this game sitting like right in the middle of the shelf and just quickly picked up a copy because I didn't know if it was actually supposed to be out there or not and was sure that the manager was going to notice it sooner or later and take it off because he was literally one or two shelfs over.

The only thing that I was worried about was it not being able to scan because of release date restrictions, so, preferring to take the honest route I asked the manager what the game was doing on the shelf since it wasn't supposed to be released until Tuesday. He told me that while he knew this, but because he saw my eyeing the game he decided that he would just wait until I made my decision to remove it off the shelf, and that if I wanted the game he would sell it to my right now since it was on display. I was actually so shocked since these things don't usually happen for me, but the manager was so nice about it...I'm sure he must have been the head of the department or a manager of the store or something, but then he was also talking to me about him wanting to play the game as well and hoping that it sells well. It was just so surprising that somebody in Walmart actually knew what they were talking about and at the same time sold me the game pretty early.

Definitely made my day. Just got home so I will hopefully be loading it up in an hour or so and am definitely willing to answer any questions that anybody has about the game? I don't know too much and am going in pretty blindly, so I don't know if I will actually be any help or not but whatever haha.

Thats an awesome story

I played the Japanese version of the game (its English) for one hour or so, if anyone have any questions about it, shoot.

The game is quite awesome by the way, sky-high production values it seems.

might seem like a pointless question but is it 1080p or just 720p?
I'm only asking as i stupidly have a 1080p tv. Games that run in 720p tend to look like ass on it.

Vire

I really wish this was the PS4 launch title from Sony Japan instead of Knack.

Looks so much better.

I've played the demo for a couple minutes. Game looks awesome. 3D is kinda weak but you can ramp it up a little more by putting "3D personal viewer" on the settings.

Still on the fence about it.

androvsky

Almost hit the buy button on the US store so I could get the PS+ discount... and noticed that it comes with a static theme. Nothing about the soundtrack or anything else in the Theatrical Pack in the PSN store for the US. Are we not getting it, or are they just not saying anything about it?

cdwjustin

Banned
Im on psn and i was going to pre order it to get the Theatrical Pack. But now it doesnt say anything about getting it when you pre order? whats up with that?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finished Puppeteer, took me around 11-13 hours. Best story delivery this year, solid gameplay and stunning amount of charm. Just get it.
I'm really impressed, since games just holding my full attention from the moment I get them until I finish them don't happen often.
Extremely solid 9/10.

Finished Puppeteer, took me around 11-13 hours. Best story delivery this year, solid gameplay and stunning amount of charm. Just get it.
I'm really impressed, since games just holding my full attention from the moment I get them until I finish them don't happen often.
Extremely solid 9/10.

ibqKKCdAHfv9zH.gif

Extremely solid 9/10.

Man, I've seen less than 60 seconds of footage but I need this game right now.

Tizoc

When can those that pre-ordered the EU ver. play the game? I dled an 11 GB Puppeteer from UK PSN, but it won't run.
Do I gotta wait til Thursday, log into my UK account while running the game for it to unlock?

Also are the avatars and themes available for use yet?

Tizoc

I only have a US PSN account but I think I'd go in dark anyway. Been so long since I've played a game without really seeing it beforehand.

You could easily make an EU or UK PSN account in 10-15 minutes and then have the demo download, though sadly the demo is HUGE like 5+ GB =P

Feindflug

Why does it matter? Would it be that much better on a more powerful console?

Well 60fps and better IQ plus having one more interesting launch title for the PS4 matters to some people.

That being said I am not complaining that we're getting this on the PS3, personally I'm sticking with the current gen until at least fall 2014. :p

kazebyaka

Banned
Played thirty minutes in it. My god. This is the most beautiful game i've seen in a long time. No joke. It all moves so fluidly, with lots of awesome animations while "stages" change places and lighting is fantastic. How can this game even exist? It's so fresh, so charming. Will wait for my native language version, because i don't like to read subtitles.
Also, you can use move or second pad to control the flying cat and it's actually useful.

zroid

Banned
Extremely solid 9/10.

Nice, that's exactly what I'm looking for. ^^

I really struggle to finish most games nowadays, even those which I genuinely love. Want to get through this one quickly so I can jump right into TW101 on the 15th!

Anyone know how much space the digital version of Puppeteer takes up?

Also, do you get any bonuses for pre-ordering on PSN? I'm trying to decide between that or Amazon. PSN gives me the upsides of about $7.60 in savings through PS+ as well as being able to start installing right on Tuesday (I'm assuming, haven't bought a full retail game digitally on PSN yet), while Amazon gives me the retail package (which I love having retail), and reliability from Amazon, as well as the pre-order bonus of the avatars, theme, and soundtrack.

If anyone knows any of those details I asked for, it would be greatly appreciated. If I get retail I want to order it today so knowing sooner than later would be nice, thanks.

Also, do you get any bonuses for pre-ordering on PSN? I'm trying to decide between that or Amazon. PSN gives me the upsides of about $7.60 in savings through PS+ as well as being able to start installing right on Tuesday (I'm assuming, haven't bought a full retail game digitally on PSN yet), while Amazon gives me the retail package (which I love having retail), and reliability from Amazon, as well as the pre-order bonus of the avatars, theme, and soundtrack.

If anyone knows any of those details I asked for, it would be greatly appreciated. If I get retail I want to order it today so knowing sooner than later would be nice, thanks.

IIRC:
US version around 7 gigs
EU version 11 gigs
Jap version 5-6 gigs
UK version 5-6 gigs

androvsky

I'm still trying to figure out what the deal is with the pre-order bonuses on the US PSN. All it says when you hit the buy button is that it's a pre-order that comes with a static theme... which definitely isn't the Theatrical Pack. But back in June the US PS Blog said the PSN pre-orders would come with it. Can't tell if they switched at the last minute and dropped the price to make up for it or what.

IIRC:
US version around 7 gigs
EU version 11 gigs
Jap version 5-6 gigs
UK version 5-6 gigs

I'm still trying to figure out what the deal is with the pre-order bonuses on the US PSN. All it says when you hit the buy button is that it's a pre-order that comes with a static theme... which definitely isn't the Theatrical Pack. But back in June the US PS Blog said the PSN pre-orders would come with it. Can't tell if they switched at the last minute and dropped the price to make up for it or what.

Thanks! Still not sure which I'll do at this point, I'm guessing the soundtrack that comes with the Amazon pre-order is just a digital code or something and not an actual disc?

That's very strange, I pre-ordered a couple of days ago, just checked my download list and all the extras are there.

Digital download of the soundtrack, avatars and dynamic theme.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
every gaffer with a child should do the right thing and atleast buy it for them for the holidays...

if you don't plan to get it for yourself.

androvsky

That's very strange, I pre-ordered a couple of days ago, just checked my download list and all the extras are there.

Digital download of the soundtrack, avatars and dynamic theme.

Thanks for letting me know. I've seen evidence that the store description has only mentioned the static theme since the pre-order went up, so it's looking like the description is just screwed up. Just to be certain, you pre-ordered from the US store, right? The UK description details everything.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Thanks for letting me know. I've seen evidence that the store description has only mentioned the static theme since the pre-order went up, so it's looking like the description is just screwed up.

The PS Blog posted an article yesterday regarding Puppeteer:
This is your last weekend to pre-order Puppeteer before its release and there are a two ways to get it.

In-store
Head to participating retailers to pick up the “Theatrical Pack.”

Download from PlayStation Store
For the final week before launch, you can pre-order Puppeteer on PlayStation Store and get an exclusive theme for your PS3.
We’re also offering a 10% discount to PlayStation Plus members who pre-order!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/06/puppeteer-takes-over-san-francisco/

So apparently US digital preorders won't get the bonuses :/

I'm mad.

Top Bottom