• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puppeteer |OT| $40, No Strings Attached

This very well may be my favorite game this year. A surreal experience especially when played in 3D. Masterful sound and music. Just..really good stuff here. I'm getting vibes I felt when first playing Little Big Planet.

What really surprised me was the sound. Playing with my Pulse headset on, the creaking of wood when the "sets" slam together and the cheers and gasps of the "crowd" add a layer of immersion to the whimsy that I didn't expect.

Amazingly well-designed game, and an insane deal at $40.

Went into town earlier to grab a copy and hot baby cakes, it rules! Glad I didn't try the demo and went on a blackout after the first trailer. Crazy stuff this game is! :D

Happy that the Neiteio thread pushed me over. ;)

jono95

I had no idea this was out today!

I just picked it up, I haven't played or watched the demo and I've only seen one or two short trailers. I've got high hopes though.

Rayman Legends and Puppeteer in one week?! It's a great time to be a platformer fan.

Dragon

Banned
Guys anyone know how to turn on 3d? I have a feeling this game would be awesome in it but the display settings for it aren't there. Frustrating because it says if you hover the screen settings but only brightness and subtitles are there.

OutToLunch

Neo Member
Guys anyone know how to turn on 3d? I have a feeling this game would be awesome in it but the display settings for it aren't there. Frustrating because it says if you hover the screen settings but only brightness and subtitles are there.

Do you have to enable 3D support through the OS? If so, perhaps you have it disabled.

my mind is blown by how quickly and smoothly the set pieces change out on the screen as i play. i originally though they would only change out at the end of certain sections of each act, but no no no... i'm way impressed by this. minimal loading, smooth gameplay, no floaty jumping physics, and the presentation is astounding. i was thinking how much this would have shaken things up had it released, as-is, way back in like 2008.

only issues i have with it so far:
-when you pick up a head you find, it replaces the one you are wearing- even if you already have that one in your inventory.
-it can be hard sometimes to tell when en enemy is in the correct foreground or background that will make contact with you. i found myself jumping around a lot because i thought certain enemies were going to hit me but nothing happened when they moved right through me.
-you can't go back if you miss something. (at least not in the first chapter of Act 1)

Sigh.

I'm not hating on GTAV but the OT is 53 fucking pages already. Meanwhile the Puppeteer thread, a game that's full of imagination and new ideas and is actually... OUT.. falls on to the second page on the day of release. If this game doesn't find a home on GAF, it doesn't have a fucking chance in the general public.

picked up my copy after work. The gamestop employee told me the only copy they got was the one I pre -ordered.

Holy shit. Poor gavin Moore.

Im only on curtain 3 of act one but I have just been playing with a smile on my face. This game has so much charm

Oh we'll I guess that's what matters :) It actually probably doesn't help putting it up against Rayman either, games getting a pretty phenomenal amount of attention for being a hand drawn 2d platformer.

VanWinkle

Just played 3 curtains with my fiancee. She controlled the little fairy. It was an absolute blast, although beware it definitely makes the game easier. I'll probably go back and play those levels again without the help, but it was really fun.

picked up my copy after work. The gamestop employee told me the only copy they got was the one I pre -ordered.

Im only on curtain 3 of act one but I have just been playing with a smile on my face. This game has so much charm

zroid

Banned
Just played 3 curtains with my fiancee. She controlled the little fairy. It was an absolute blast, although beware it definitely makes the game easier. I'll probably go back and play those levels again without the help, but it was really fun.
didnt even know there was co-op :eek:

is it just like Mario Galaxy style or what?

b3b0p

Game looks legit. Everything I am reading makes it sound like the next coming.

Co-op you say? Is it local co-op only? Or can you place remote co-op with friends online?

Andrew.

Banned
Game looks legit. Everything I am reading makes it sound like the next coming.

Co-op you say? Is it local co-op only? Or can you place remote co-op with friends online?

Local only. Played with a friend. They play as YingYang and it's fucking awesome.

This shit makes me want a 3D TV

-PXG-

I'm on Act 2. So far, so good. Such a great game. Worthy of any PS3 owner's collection. Just oozing with style, charm and just a good plat former too. This is exactly what I wanted and more.

EDIT

I almost forgot my Theatrical Pack code was on my receipt. Pretty nice of them to give you the OST with it. Downloading now...

My wife and I love the Puppeteer's demo and got our copy today. We love the game so far and as I get older, the more I gravitate towards the games that truly make me happy and not just the titles that are popular. I still enjoy my GTAs, Killzones and Assassin's Creeds type games but I need my Puppeteers, Raymans, Wonderful 101s, etc,. to keep me loving the hobby of gaming.

Man, the holiday gaming season really started with a bang so far. So many more awesome titles coming out and there's not enough time and money for them all :/ lol

Jigolo

Just started the game, in on act 1 part 3. I love the atmosphere of the game, it's set up so well. Controls are tight and jumps feel grounded and right.

I've lost all my head 1 time so far but the game is difficult if your trying to look for the secrets. Sometimes you don't know which heads you have to keep to do the power up and get the secret. I've missed a few already; some because I dropped the skull head and there was one had that I haven't found. Be careful and choose your heads wisely

zroid

Banned
Yikes, dat low framerate input "lag". Immediately noticeable to me. Kinda sucks for a platformer, you really want that jump to feel instant.

I'll get used to it tho

VanWinkle

Yikes, dat low framerate input "lag". Immediately noticeable to me. Kinda sucks for a platformer, you really want that jump to feel instant.

I'll get used to it tho

It's no 60fps for sure, but it's way better than DKCR on 3DS (just played that some last night so I have a point of comparison). Talk about "yikes". It turned a difficult game into a rage-inducing one.

zroid

Banned
It's no 60fps for sure, but it's way better than DKCR on 3DS (just played that some last night so I have a point of comparison). Talk about "yikes". It turned a difficult game into a rage-inducing one.

Yeah, lol, I've heard the horror stories. I wouldn't touch DKCR 3DS with a ten foot pole. D:

This game is unbelievably good. I appreciate everything it's setting out to do, which is quite familiar yet different at the same time.

It honestly feels like I'm on some Disney adventure -- the production values are just THAT GOOD. Music, lighting, animation...it all comes together brilliantly. It's a "next-gen" platformer in an era where they're just not getting made anymore.

The game is also decently challenging if you're trying to collect all the souls and bonuses.

I know that this game probably won't get anywhere near the attention it deserves commercially, but I hope to GAWD that Gavin's team gets to continue making spectacular titles like this. There's simply not enough of them.

zroid

Banned
Welll that's the first level done. Suuuuuuuuuper charming. Framerate is not a problem. The platforming isn't really that precise -- which is fine.

If I have one complaint so far it's that it's just too busy. Yes it's aesthetically great, but I am finding it to get in the way a bit, due to sheer excess.

I regret it. I just wanted some new portable Donkey Kong. :(

Tropical Freeze with Off-Tv play!

That's the one we've been waiting for. :D

I spoke with Gavin Moore on the RedSunGamer podcast for about 1 Hour and 30 minutes.

The interview/chat starts at the 3 hour 30 minute mark.

Time Stamps
——————–
00:04:59 FFXIV
00:53:29 Killer is Dead
01:07:37 JoJo
01:16:55 Dragons Crown
01:28:34 Ace Attorney 5
01:39:52 Wonderful 101
01:53:55 Killzone Vita
02:00:39 Puppeteer
02:37:43 Are you HYPE’d?
02:53:31 Tweets
03:25:09 Wrap up
03:30:10 Gavin Moore – Puppeteer
——————————
Run Time 05:05:30

Direct down here

You can also download the podcast via itunes.

This is a great interview.

Btw do you know if the JP disc version has full English support?

VanWinkle

So many times in the first two acts and first curtain of act 3 have I been blown away with the graphcs and/or art style. SO GOOD. I think the lighting shines even more in the day scenes IMO, seen more in act 2 and what I've played so far of act 3.

Tropical Freeze with Off-Tv play!

That's the one we've been waiting for. :D

I know man. I can't wait. I bought DKCR 3D before that was announced, though.

Dragon

Banned
I must say I know what they're going for with the companion going forward from Act 2 but it's the one that sticks out to me as trying too hard.

VanWinkle

I must say I know what they're going for with the companion going forward from Act 2 but it's the one that sticks out to me as trying too hard.

Haha, I don't know. I find it to be kind of cute and charming (better than Yin Yang). But I could see your point of view, too.

Dragon

Banned
Haha, I don't know. I find it to be kind of cute and charming (better than Yin Yang). But I could see your point of view, too.

It is at first and then it slowly became tiring. I'm only through Act 3 though. This game is kinda long for a platformer to be honest, I was surprised at how many acts.

wtf i went on psn to buy it because i saw plus members get it for $35.99 and now its $39.99! you just lost yourself a
digital
customer sony!

Yeah unfortunately the 4 bucks off was only for preorders. Pretty dumb, they should do it for the first week or something.

I'm sad there's no US demo. I REALLY want to try this out, but I'm not allowing myself to buy any more games until I buy my PS4. I don't want to screw that up :) I hear the 3D in the game is phenomenal!

Dragon

Banned
I'm sad there's no US demo. I REALLY want to try this out, but I'm not allowing myself to buy any more games until I buy my PS4. I don't want to screw that up :) I hear the 3D in the game is phenomenal!

It's pretty easy to make an EU account and download the game if that's what you're after. But I agree, and I hate how segregated the regions are on PSN.

zroid

Banned

You can download it from the European or Japanese store. It's really easy to make a foreign PSN account. Be warned though: the demo is 6GB. I didn't download it for that reason.

I don't have a 3D TV, but seeing what are quite obviously 3D gimmicks is pretty funny in 2D. :p

Theman2k

I am so hyped, thinking about the game all day!!
But i really think this game didnt pick up enough intrest in people even with the excellent reviews.

We need this game to sell, buy it GAF!

This game looks amazing. I feel sad that Sony won't or can't market this at least a little bit.

There are lots of ads for this in Japan. I have seen them on TV and even on trains.

Anyway leave marketing to professionals. It's not as simple as it seems. And just because YOU haven't seen ads does not mean they don't exist.

Top Bottom