• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puppeteer |OT| $40, No Strings Attached

Five

Banned
This game's pretty amazing. I've just finished act 2, and I'll definitely be playing more. It's not perfect, though.

The cut scenes, for all their glory, are pretty imposing. That leads me to believe the game will have little replay value, but it's spectacular on the first run.

The game play doesn't seem very well balanced to me. Sometimes, when you lose a head, it's easy as pie to pick it back up. Other times, the heads can fall through cracks or roll off things and there was never a chance of recovering it. Determining which heads you should keep for secrets later in the curtain is taking a stab in the dark, which feels cheap. The screen is often overly busy, with everything moving too much or there being too much detail, that it's hard to make things out properly at times. The game won't let you do anything until it's ready for you to do so, but it isn't always good at indicating this; sometimes, when you hit a trigger early and it doesn't go off, it leads you to think there is no trigger there and you did something wrong. In a number of scene changes, it isn't obvious where it will be safe to land, or you aren't auto positioned properly, so you can take damage accidentally.

Still, the overall presentation is absolutely fantastic, and I plan on enjoying every last act and curtain.

It's pretty easy to make an EU account and download the game if that's what you're after. But I agree, and I hate how segregated the regions are on PSN.

I did that once on one of previous PS3's. I just found it too much of a hassle to do again since most demos I want to try are available on the US store anyways.

Tagg9

Just played the first two levels (stages?). Holy shit! I wasn't expecting much but the game is just too awesome for words.

The presentation is superb, especially the animation. Everything is so silky smooth, and the level transitions are amazing. Everything about this screams Nintendo to me (right down to the unnecessarily long tutorials lol), which is a good thing in my book. I love the scissors gameplay and the physics seem just about right (a lot better than LBP).

2013 year of the PS3 continues...

Dragon

Banned
This game's pretty amazing. I've just finished act 2, and I'll definitely be playing more. It's not perfect, though.

The cut scenes, for all their glory, are pretty imposing. That leads me to believe the game will have little replay value, but it's spectacular on the first run.

The game play doesn't seem very well balanced to me. Sometimes, when you lose a head, it's easy as pie to pick it back up. Other times, the heads can fall through cracks or roll off things and there was never a chance of recovering it. Determining which heads you should keep for secrets later in the curtain is taking a stab in the dark, which feels cheap. The screen is often overly busy, with everything moving too much or there being too much detail, that it's hard to make things out properly at times. The game won't let you do anything until it's ready for you to do so, but it isn't always good at indicating this; sometimes, when you hit a trigger early and it doesn't go off, it leads you to think there is no trigger there and you did something wrong. In a number of scene changes, it isn't obvious where it will be safe to land, or you aren't auto positioned properly, so you can take damage accidentally.

Still, the overall presentation is absolutely fantastic, and I plan on enjoying every last act and curtain.

I actually agree about the cutscenes. They're definitely charming, but at times I want to play the damn game and my character is just sitting there in the background and the only thing I can do is change heads :). Then again most of the time you can skip the cutscenes.

2-2 has definitely been a standout but it's the writing and performances that have really taken me by surprise. The game has even managed to get some giggles and laughs out of me.

Grass on your buttocks.

I have the game on the main menu right now, just sitting there and I'm seriously thinking about pulling an all nighter. Magical game.

Edit:

Just saw a post above me refer to stages as curtains and that is completely correct. I shall
make adjustments for the future. ;)

zroid

Banned
I only played 1-1 so far, but I'm a bit torn on the cutscenes
no pun intended
. they are very charming and the presentation is top-notch. I want to watch them. But at the same time they go on too long and I do just want to get to it. So I end up not skipping them (because I don't want to) but then I kind of tune out after a while. I don't want it to sound like it's a big problem because it's not. But I wish there were a better balance. I do understand effectively juxtaposing narrative delivery with gameplay is one of the hardest things to accomplish as a designer.

I've finished act 1 and it's wonderful as imagined. Love the
Tiger
you meet what ensues after that encounter. I'm going to look for some art of that.

VanWinkle

I spoke with Gavin Moore on the RedSunGamer podcast for about 1 Hour and 30 minutes.

The interview/chat starts at the 3 hour 30 minute mark.
Direct down here

You can also download the podcast via itunes.

Really liking the interview. He talks about the Globe and Mail 50/100 review in there around 04:00:00. You can tell he's hurt by that. I would be too. It's ridiculous that they even reviewed it when they don't even really review games. They clearly didn't get it, and brought down the Metacritic badly.

GAF got me. I was already pretty enthused about the game. Now its in my download queue. The web PSN store really makes it too easy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just beat Act 2.

The comic timing and reaction from the audience is pitch perfect. Some great writers working on this game. Hearing an audience member get hit behind me in surround sound is to die for.

Never thought I'd see the day when I would enjoy qte as well.

This is just sheer magic.
Did you notice the audience reaction if you sit still for a while? Eventually, the crowd becomes bored while growing louder and louder in disgust eventually leading to doors opening and closing as the crowd leaves. Very cool touch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wow, PSN price is cheaper than shopto!

I'm torn though - feels like it might not have a huge amount of replayability so physical could make sense

Gryph

I'm really impressed with the story and atmosphere of this game. I feel like it's taking a lot of chances in its narrative style and sense of humor. I really, really hope this sells well.

I want more games with Puppeteer's spirit.

Mdk7

GAF, i need your opionion.
I bought the game yesterday and i have a Panasonic 3D TV (i bought it like 6 months ago and never used the 3D function).
Do you think it's worth to give it a shoot in 3D?
Will the 3D significantly affect the performance of the game (in terms of framerate, most of all...)?
Thanks guys!

I bought the game yesterday and i have a Panasonic 3D TV (i bought it like 6 months ago and never used the 3D function).
Will the 3D significantly affect the performance of the game (in terms of framerate, most of all...)?
Thanks guys!

I don't have a 3D TV and I've never wanted one. For some reason, after spending some time with Puppeteer, I want a 3D TV.

As for framerate, I'm not too sure. The game does dip into the sub 20's, but damn if it isn't gorgeous.

simonski

Thanks guys!

The demo framerate in 3D is fine, as is the resolution. It seems to lose a lot of the effects though, I guess that's the sacrifice.

Just played the game for about half an hour in 3D. Really beautiful stuff, and pretty funny too. Love the spider's pronounciation of moon sparkles lol

The demo framerate in 3D is fine, as is the resolution. It seems to lose a lot of the effects though, I guess that's the sacrifice.

If you listen to the interview I did with Gavin Moore you'll hear him say that 3D has no impact on the games performance at all.

How is the platforming (regarding both physics and actual platforming within the level design)?
Can cutscenes be skipped and does there look to be any form of replay value other than just playing it again for kicks?

Liking the price and the game certainly looks interesting but I'd like to hear more positive things from people aside from presentation and aesthetics before I consider picking it up. Especially as I was just burned by the recent Killer is Dead, which turned out to be as mediocre and trite as they come.

Loonz

Judging from the demo...

- Presentation is top notch, really amazing. The transitions between different stages an such are creative and ooze NEWness, which is great.

- Unfortunately, regarding gameplay, there seem to be little to no challenge at all. Style over substance. Again, it's a demo.

- Jump mechanics are well, not my alley so to speak. But they're not bad, they're just not my cup of tea.

- I find hard repeating the experience with such an amount of cutscenes TBH. As charming as they are, they cut into the gameplay way too much to my taste.

- Finally, I'd say that the way this game has been produced, and the apparently simple gameplay mechanics involved, it seems rather a product for children than any other thing. I can picture kids loving the hell out of this. For the average gaffer looking for a engaging 2D platformer there are more challenging options out there IMHO.

PaulloDEC

Grabbed this after work today, and it's pretty charming so far. I'm up to the second level in Act 2. Loving the characters and cutscenes, and the gameplay is refreshingly different from the (also excellent) Rayman Legends. Really dig using Calibrus, too.

Stainless

Had to hardwire my ps3 because wireless was taking forever to download the game (like 6.5GB if I recall) I completed Act 1 Curtain 1 and only got like 3-4 heads. Gonna replay the scene and get the stuff I missed. I like the indicator that shows whether or not you found the head's secret. So far so good, imo

Andrew.

Banned
Got up to beating General Tiger playing 2P with a friend of mine and it was a total blast. This game is fuckin magical. Pure class and pure craftsmanship.

While it's a crapshoot (at least on your first run) on each level as to what heads to bring for unlocks, what the game does do right is let you exit out of a scene once you find the right head to unlock previous level goodis (think the Start/Select method of Super Mario World after you grab a cape for example).

Did anyone find the banana head or the vine head yet?

Just bumping this thread because the game is so much fun.

I'm going to get my wife to play coop with me tonight. I'm currently on the second act first curtain, but I need to go back to the first act because I only reached the bonus level on the first curtain. I didn't have the right masks to unlock those levels on curtain 2 and 3.

I'm having a blast playing this game. I've always enjoyed platformers and this one is truly special. I will have to keep my PS3 around even after my PS4 arrives in November to replay some of these levels.

Got up to beating General Tiger playing 2P with a friend of mine and it was a total blast. This game is fuckin magical. Pure class and pure craftsmanship.

While it's a crapshoot (at least on your first run) on each level as to what heads to bring for unlocks, what the game does do right is let you exit out of a scene once you find the right head to unlock previous level goodis (think the Start/Select method of Super Mario World after you grab a cape for example).

Did anyone find the banana head or the vine head yet?

Banana head is one of the first heads in the game in the first level. I did miss the vine head tho.

Hanmik

Whaaaat. I 100%'ed 1-1 and I dont ever remember seeing it. Do you remember where it was by any chance?

Ehhh.. Try going to the main menu. Go to the heads collection. There you can see ? If you are missing a head. Press on the empty display, and you will get a hint to where it is found ( you can even see what act and curtain it is in )

Mik_Pad

Banned
So I had this preordered on PSN but had to travel yesterday, but I brought my PS3 with me and it is downloading now. Can't wait to play it later today.

Andrew.

Banned
Ehhh.. Try going to the main menu. Go to the heads collection. There you can see ? If you are missing a head. Press on the empty display, and you will get a hint to where it is found ( you can even see what act and curtain it is in )

Oh wow. See I was checking out all the info on the heads I collected but I never thought to click on the empty boxes. Thanks!

Sony have finally charged me but I still can't play the game that's sitting on my hard drive.

You're a cruel bastard Sony. A cruel, cruel bastard.

Andrew.

Banned
This game needs attention out the ass.

It is magnificent and Ive been thinking about it all day. Cant wait to get back to it tonight!

Most enjoyable platformer Ive played in a very long time.

cyborg009

Banned
Sony should market this how they did LBP. LBP sold amazing well in holiday seasons.

Anyways I bet act 1 and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VanWinkle

Got to play for a bit last night after work. World map is nice. Wasn't expecting one (but wanted one, hah).

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by that.

This game has actually been able to pull me away from Rayman Legends. On the other end, I tried playing Castle of Illusion HD after Legends and I just couldn't do it. It felt like such a big step down. This, though. Great stuff.

Played until 3-2 last night and yeah, it keeps on giving. There were points in 2-3 where it felt like my heart might stop. It's been a really long time since I've held my breathe on a big jump.

This game was made by the hands of gods, my friends. Gods.

This game needs attention out the ass.

It is magnificent and Ive been thinking about it all day. Cant wait to get back to it tonight!

Most enjoyable platformer Ive played in a very long time.

Played until 3-2 last night and yeah, it keeps on giving. There were points in 2-3 where it felt like my heart might stop. It's been a really long time since I've held my breathe on a big jump.

This game was made by the hands of gods, my friends. Gods.

You're not making the wait any easier....

aristotle

I haven't paid much attention to this thread, but has anyone else not gotten the preorder stuff from Amazon?

I know they say it's usually 2 days after, but until now I've always gotten the codes on release day.

Andrew.

Banned
Stopped home briefly on my break and found the banana AND YingYang heads in 1-1. Score! All heads accounted for...

...for that level

World map is nice. Wasn't expecting one (but wanted one, hah).

!!! that's great news, i love me some world maps. none of that boring level select screen crap.
This game can't come soon enough, i need something to cheer me up after being massively disappointed with rayman legends :-(

This might be the most visually-impressive game I have ever seen.
Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference.....

Top Bottom