• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puppeteer |OT| $40, No Strings Attached

-PXG-

This is probably one of the most charming and clever games I have ever played. No lie. Plus it's a feast for the eyes. My gf can't wait to play it with me either.

This is turning out to be even better than I thought it would be. The devs truly out did themselves with this game. They deserve so much love and respect.

Oh. I will see how good it looks in 3D tomorrow night :)

Gryph

The writing is just great. It has a surprisingly large number of dirty jokes for a E10+ game. Some of the humor is really smart as well...

This is the gem that I'm going to have to get all my friends to play.

This is probably one of the most charming and clever games I have ever played. No lie. Plus it's a feast for the eyes. My gf can't wait to play it with me either.

This is turning out to be even better than I thought it would be. The devs truly out did themselves with this game. They deserve so much love and respect.

Oh. I will see how good it looks in 3D tomorrow night :)

I've only played the first level but I found myself clicking on everything because it's all animated. If the whole game is like that then that is truly mind blowing.

aristotle

I haven't gotten mine yet and I'm a little concerned. Hopefully it comes through soon!

I emailed Amazon earlier for my code. The just now got back to me and gave me the promotional code for Killzone Mercenary on the Vita. :|

Now I have a code for a game that I don't need. I preordered KZ from GS and got my codes for that game from there. SMH.

Amazon has never been this bad at getting me my preoder stuff. I don't know why it's worse suddenly lol.

I keep imagining this is what Jim Henson would've created after you impounded him in an environment with trees, woodworking tools and bath salts.

Neiteio

Just completed the first world. I love General Tiger. <3 This game is AMAZING!

I wish there was a model viewer. The one for the heads is nice. I'd like one for the puppets, though!

Made the mistake of playing through 1-1 when I was tired as fuck lol. Too much visual information. I'll get back to it tomorrow when I'm rested. Liked what I saw though. Controls were really responsive.

Neiteio

Made the mistake of playing through 1-1 when I was tired as fuck lol. Too much visual information. I'll get back to it tomorrow when I'm rested. Liked what I saw though. Controls were really responsive.
Glad you find the controls snappy, X. :)

Be sure to click on everything with Ying Yang. Cracked walls, windows, etc. So much hidden stuff.

Glad you find the controls snappy, X. :)

Seriously, the immediacy of the jump animation feels great. You press X, you're in the air.

Got up to 5-2 and everything is still gravy. The gradual implementation of new mechanics keeps it fresh. I'm finding myself looking forward to playing it...

*stares at PS3*

GAF, I really love this game! &#9829;

I don&#8217;t think I&#8217;ve ever played a more charming game that goes out of its way so many times to make you smile! The amount of tiny details is off the charts. Whether it be from the random coughs from the audience, all the different head animations, the musical scenes or to when the witch just decided to turn into a giant glove LOL. The characters are so lovable too! And mah God the stage select screen has amazing music! On the gameplay side things seem a little on the basic side......and I don&#8217;t even care! Oh yeah, the game looks flat-out stunning in 3D! BUY THIS GAME!

anddo0

Any chance to buy the game on psn with the soundtrack now ?

I also coudnt find the soundtrack online...

I pre-ordered and got no bonuses. I'm extremely confused about how Sony handled this. I'm giving them a call today because:

Mick Perona on June 5th, 2013 at 8:48 am said:

Hi ShadiWulf – Yep! You’ll be able to preorder on PSN in the coming weeks to get the Theatrical Pack! The Theatrical Pack is only available to those that preorder though, so make sure you preorder at your favorite retailer soon, or on PS Store when the digital pre-order comes available.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/05/puppeteer-hero-heads-e3-trailer-pre-order-extras-revealed/

I pre-ordered two weeks in advance and got nothing.

Suirrad

Played alot today and got up to about Act 5 or so. Still a great game and I should be finished with the main story today.

It looks great as stated and yes the cut scenes are a little long winded but atleast they can be skipped. The actual gameplay is very fun.

I may go for the plat if I have time. Well if it isn't too much of a hassle I'd say. I glanced over the trophies and i have about 25% as of now. Going back to find missed heads and bonus stages shouldn't be too much. I did see a few trophies that could give problems depending on how much of the level you have to play to get to the particular part you need to be at to perform whatever you have to do for certain trophies.

tl;dr
Game is dope. Do Like. May Plat. Fun.

Just finished Act 1 this morning which was okay, 2-1 already smoked that entire world by itself though which is hopefully a good sign of things to come.
I find myself rooting for the Moon Bear King, what a guy he is.

I didn't know whether to plop this in the review thread or here since the review thread is sort of falling by the wayside, but I beat it and put up a review. If it's inappropriate to post that here, let me know and I'll edit it out of the post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMvQyM2x8Eo

If you don't feel like watching - I was let down by it, but I'm really hopeful for a sequel that can expand on some of the ideas. Not bad, just wasn't what I wanted. Please don't hate me GAF. I really wanted to like this and I have high hopes for the next one.

My copy is in the post since Tuesday I think, but it's taking ages to get here. Bloody Tesco! I was hoping to have it finished before GTAV comes out, but there's zero chance of that now.

Not sure why some peoples versions didn't come with a manual.
mine arrived with one, and the inside cover is reversible with really nice artwork, might just be european copies...

Game is great so far, only problem is the sound levels. the music, effects and audience were set so high that it was hard to hear the speech until i adjusted it all.
Really looking forward to playing some more, it's clear the developers loved making this.

Andrew.

Banned
Well I made it to 3-1 and nabbed the Hookshot (so AWESOME) but I never made it to the opus that 3-2 is apparently all about. Cant wait to dive into it more tonight!

Still havent found that Vile Vine head, BUT I did manage to grab the Paper Lantern and the Jizo Statue heads off the 2-1 boss.

I felt like my eyeballs were going to fall out of my head while fighting General Snake.

Head location guide is good stuff:

http://www.gamesradar.com/puppeteer-head-locations-guide/

Mdk7

Played the first act yesterday... i had high expectations, yet it BLEW ME AWAY.

I can't wait to get back home to get on stage again, seriously.

Neiteio

EDIT: I quoted they guy saying there's a physical manual, asking if he's in America, but he clarified and said Europe. Must be the PAL copies that have manuals. The NA version has a digital manual.

Wow at 3-2! Dat music! Dat animation! Dat
musical! Seriously, once the mermaids stopped singing
I wanted to stand up and applaud!

I&#8217;ve seriously never played anything quite like this game before. I just hope the game gets harder further on. So far it&#8217;s really easy......

Yuterald

A bit disappointed that the majority of the heads don't serve much of a purpose beyond unlocking bonus rooms or new paths. It's cool that there are four unique heads which unlock new combative related functions though. I guess I was under the impression that the skeleton head would allow you to headbut enemies or that the bat head would allow for an additional hover extension to your jump, stuff like that. Not quite as Dynamite Headdy-like as I thought it was going to be, but still cool. I guess the unique animations are nich enough.

Still haven't played past the first Act. Been too tired after work this week to play stuff.

Jigolo

A bit disappointed that the majority of the heads don't serve much of a purpose beyond unlocking bonus rooms or new paths. It's cool that there are four unique heads which unlock new combative related functions though. I guess I was under the impression that the skeleton head would allow you to headbut enemies or that the bat head would allow for an additional hover extension to your jump, stuff like that. Not quite as Dynamite Headdy-like as I thought it was going to be, but still cool. I guess the unique animations are nich enough.

Still haven't played past the first Act. Been too tired after work this week to play stuff.
Don't stop, the next 3 acts are miles better than the first. I thought the 1st was disappointing as well.

On Act 4 Curtain 3 now and wow, I think all the boss fights so far have been incredible.
I have all the hero heads now and I want to go back and play some of the first levels. I noticed the bulls head painted in many of the earlier levels and now being able to break those walls, I want to see what secrets are hiding there. I've missed quite a few heads so I guess after finishing 4-3 I will stop and try to get everything I can before continuing Act 5 and beyond.

Game is really good.

halfbeast

Banned
man, I was probably too hyped. having multiple heads and a scissor as attack sounded like the greatest game ever. unfortunately, it's plagued by all the trendy design choices in games these days. too many cutscenes/exposition, QTE(!) <- seriously? and not enough platforming.

at least in Act 1 - can't tell if it gets better, though. I hope it does. :/

RoadHazard

Gold Member
man, I was probably too hyped. having multiple heads and a scissor as attack sounded like the greatest game ever. unfortunately, it's plagued by all the trendy design choices in games these days. too many cutscenes/exposition, QTE(!) <- seriously? and not enough platforming.

at least in Act 1 - can't tell if it gets better, though. I hope it does. :/

The platforming definitely gets better. Never gets especially challenging though. And no, the different heads don't do anything for the actual gameplay, they're just used for finding bonus levels and other small secrets. A bit of wasted potential there.

EDIT: I quoted they guy saying there's a physical manual, asking if he's in America, but he clarified and said Europe. Must be the PAL copies that have manuals. The NA version has a digital manual.

I wasn't expecting a manual after all the comments but yeah, the pal copies have a manual and really nice reversible artwork cover.(no controls on the inside e.t.c)

JoeFenix

Act 5 was a bit dry in terms of gameplay, it's a real shame that the game doesn't have a good challenge/inventiveness curve.

For a game this creative from a story and visuals standpoint it's really disappointing that the gameplay doesn't always share the same qualities.

It's never bad but it does get a bit dull, you can only hook stuff to create a scissor path so many times before getting bored. Some of it just feels like filler, every area is lavishly put together but the gameplay is just stuck going through the motions.

Still enjoying it but at times it's largely due to the visuals and story craziness. At certain points you almost feel like a content tourist, just enjoying the sights and sounds while doing the same extremely basic actions you've been doing since the beginning of the game.

The excitement curve is really high from a sensory standpoint but it's almost flat from a gameplay one. We'll see how I feel when I finish it, I REALLY want to love this. I kind of do.... it does SO many things right.

antibolo

Banned
Do the Western versions of the game have the Japanese voices?

And if not, does the Japanese version have English text? Or maybe an Asian version?

btkadams

all this time, i've thought the shitty crosstalk when playing a bunch of 3d ps3 games was because of my tv's 3d. i played this last night and it looked absolutely perfect, so those previous cases must be the faults of the developers.

this game is so incredibly charming and fun. it's such a shame that so few will ever get to try it. they should really try to port it to vita at some point so that it can get exposure and maybe a sequel.

aristotle

all this time, i've thought the shitty crosstalk when playing a bunch of 3d ps3 games was because of my tv's 3d. i played this last night and it looked absolutely perfect, so those previous cases must be the faults of the developers.

this game is so incredibly charming and fun. it's such a shame that so few will ever get to try it. they should really try to port it to vita at some point so that it can get exposure and maybe a sequel.

That's weird. My new 3d tv makes this look like shite, but everything else I've tried looks awesome. There's even a tear at the very top of the curtain in the happy/sad theater faces. Are those tears not there for you?

44 minutes left until I can finally play this....

Excitement is palpable....I feel the game calling to me, teasing me with its delights, flashing me a glimpse of its sexy lingerie....soon my love, soon I shall taste your sweet delights. I shall quench my thirst with your angelic juices....

PaulloDEC

The writing is just great. It has a surprisingly large number of dirty jokes for a E10+ game. Some of the humor is really smart as well...

This is the gem that I'm going to have to get all my friends to play.

I've been thinking the same. It can't be easy coming up with this sort of kid-friendly-yet-fun-for-adults humor, but they've done a great job here. The performances are all bang-on too, especially the Narrator and Pikarina, who
get some fantastic back-and-forth banter in the latter stages of the pirate act.

And the animation... I can't even begin to imagine the hours put in. Boy did they pay off, though.

Okay guys, the game preloaded on Monday, but the install icon won't work. It gets to around 15% and then becomes a corrupted file. I've tried re-downloading it like three times, but alas. Any ideas?

VanWinkle

44 minutes left until I can finally play this....

Excitement is palpable....I feel the game calling to me, teasing me with its delights, flashing me a glimpse of its sexy lingerie....soon my love, soon I shall taste your sweet delights. I shall quench my thirst with your angelic juices....

Don't get too hyped, lol. That's a recipe for being let down.

And that's not a criticism of Puppeteer - it's fantastic - but any game can be a let down if you get TOO excited for it.

Okay guys, the game preloaded on Monday, but the install icon won't work. It gets to around 15% and then becomes a corrupted file. I've tried re-downloading it like three times, but alas. Any ideas?

Don't download in the background let it download and install automatically from the store.

Don't get too hyped, lol. That's a recipe for being let down.

And that's not a criticism of Puppeteer - it's fantastic - but any game can be a let down if you get TOO excited for it.

I doubt I'll be let down. I know exactly what to expect thanks to all the detailed impressions and reviews. Still hyped as hell.

Also a little aroused if I'm brutally honest.

Top Bottom