• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puppeteer |OT| $40, No Strings Attached

I have to content myself with the soundtrack tonight because my copy won't be here until tomorrow. Enjoying all the positive impressions, though.

Anyone else notice the rotating loading logo has a similar color scheme to the SEN logo?

Sony brainwashing commence!

Gonna start 5-3 later. Pretty excited! :D

JoeFenix

7-1 was really well done. Music was inspiring and love the script and dialogue, it really works on so many levels.

It's usually thrown around alot but I really feel like this is a game that kids would absolutely go nuts for. It even manages to be educational on occasion.

Home stretch now, really curious to see how crazy the game will get by the end.

androvsky

I pre-ordered and got no bonuses. I'm extremely confused about how Sony handled this. I'm giving them a call today because:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/05/puppeteer-hero-heads-e3-trailer-pre-order-extras-revealed/

I pre-ordered two weeks in advance and got nothing.

When the pre-order went up, all it said on the store was that you get a static theme. SCEA went back on their plans and never really told anyone, expecting that people read the fine print when bought it. Someone put together all the bits of info on the PS forums: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Puppeteer-Pre-Order/td-p/41520311

I was so close to buying it on PSN because of the PS+ discount, but decided to hold off when I saw that it had a static theme. I'm glad I'm paranoid about these things, and it's to Sony's detriment that people need to be very skeptical about what Sony promises for PSN bonuses.

I ended up preordering it at Gamestop four days before release and got all the extras.

Amazing game !!! Graphics are just incredible, if not one of the most beautiful games of this generation no doubt ! My wife, friends, absolutely loved the art style !!!

Sony deserves mad respect for putting games like that on the market this late into the gen, they really push the artistic bar with their games and this is just one of many reasons why i love their first party studios !

The music, gameplay, story, charm, fun... it's all there ! and it's 40$ only...

gavin moore

Neo Member
I'm enjoying the hell out of puppeteer and the forest scene was amazing

Make sure you tell Gavin(creative director ) how much you like it: https://twitter.com/GavinmGavin

Feel free to tweet me if you wish but if you liked Puppeteer you could always tweet Yoshida san. ;)

Thanks to all of you who bought Puppeteer and supported creativity in the gaming world.
It means a lot to me as a game creator and a lot to the Puppeteer team.

If you didn't enjoy it... I'm sorry. We will try and do better next time. If there is a next time.

Cheers,

Gavin.

aristotle

Feel free to tweet me if you wish but if you liked Puppeteer you could always tweet Yoshida san. ;)

Thanks to all of you who bought Puppeteer and supported creativity in the gaming world.

If you didn't enjoy it... I'm sorry. We will try and do better next time. If there is a next time.

Cheers,

Gavin.

I'm loving the game so far. I hope you do keep up the great work! The only issue I have so far is that the 3d looks wonky on my tv set, but that's barely an issue in my eyes. Let the team know I'm a happy camper :)

VanWinkle

Done. Love the game and I only see risks like this on Playstation, so I hope they continue to support this type of thing. It PAINS me to not seem them doing a lot of advertising. And as much as that hurts, you still wouldn't see a game like this from Microsoft Studios or Nintendo, so I can't be mad.

cyborg009

Banned

Cheers,

Gavin.

Already did :)

I like thanking devs because some times you'll forget that a lot people are actually working on these games. Anyways I wish you well for your next project,hopefully for PS Vita and/or PS4.

Cheers,

Gavin.

I sent you a PM!

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Cheers,

Gavin.

Beyond thinking it was a bit too easy for a seasoned platforming fan, I very much did enjoy it. The presentation is just astounding, and it's a bunch of fun to play. Gave the game 8/10 on the Swedish site I write for, really hope I encouraged a few more people to buy it!

atomsk

Party Pooper
This has some of the best writing I've seen in a long time.

In my top 10 this year easily.

Charming top to bottom.

JoeFenix

Just finished it, final Act was the best in terms of gameplay no doubt. Great credits and really cute ending.

I'll try and 100% the game before giving my final thoughts, I want to see how the game handles on replays but I can safely say that I enjoyed it for the most part. The biggest weakness is how inconsistent the level design is in terms of quality but it never got so bad that I wanted to stop playing.

If you don't mind easy platformers and you appreciate art and craftsmanship then you should give this game a try. It's definitely not my favorite platformer ever but it was certainly unique and memorable if nothing else.

Cheers,

Gavin.
I hope Yoshida doesn't spank you due to japanese sales ;-;. Game deserved much better and apparently you guys did have a marketing push over there. I hope us EU folk can do some good.

Love the game so far. I'm at 3-3 now. If there is a next time you guys definately could maybe add just a bit more challenge. The kids can handle it. I hope we see you continue directing even if Puppeteer will be the only game in the series.

Synless

I am very interested in this game, but with GTA 5 and PS4 around the corner I sadly won't be buying this for some time (having a baby is destroying my normal spending cash). Hopefully enough other people buy what looks to be an amazing game.

Guymelef

Love the game, exudes sympathy and magic, music is wonderful and a story told with great humour, also the Spanish dub is simply perfect.
I don't understand what happen with japanese sales.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Damn, reading Gavin's Twitter feed makes it seem like Sony's isn't supporting this game at all. Really sad, it deserves to be seen. We don't get games this creative very often.

Bundy

Banned

Cheers,

Gavin.
You're here?
That's amazing! :D
Great, great work! Still haven't finished your game. But it's awesome so far.
I hope your next game is on PS4!
DO IT! ;)

You're here?
That's amazing! :D
Great, great work! Still haven't finished your game. But it's awesome so far.
I hope your next game is on PS4!
DO IT! ;)
I hope they can do a ps4 port if that isn't too big of a problem. Even if it was digital only, cant hurt the sales. Also gamers are hungry for next gen games next year while the PS3 was absolutely packed right now.

I'd totally buy it again for full hd/60fps or whatever.

Cheers,

Gavin.

I like what I've seen and read about the game. I will be supporting this game as soon I have the extra money available to me. Kudos on a job well done. The industry needs more creativity to go along with the AAA blockbusters.

-PXG-

My gf and I are absolutely loving this game. I'm not even done and I already want a PS4 sequel. Make it happen.

PaulloDEC

Cheers,

Gavin.

Hi Gavin! Rest assured, your game is delightful. I personally hope to see lots more of Kutaro, Calibrus, Pikarina and the rest of the gang in the future.

olimpia84

Cheers,

Gavin.

Your game is effing awesome. Was hyped for it as soon as it was revealed and preordered it right then. Well worth the price of admission, here's hoping for more Puppeteer in the future.

TripOpt55

I'm enjoying the game so far. The presentation is amazing. I love how all-in they went on the whole theater aspect. Really cool. The gameplay has been growing on me. It feels a little simplistic, but after getting a couple more abilities it feels better (I just beat 3-1). Still at times I feel like they could do more with the abilities to push the level design and puzzle aspects of the platforming. Piquarina or however you spell it kind of cracks me up. I guess I wasn't expecting her to talk that way, but it is funny for whatever reason to me.

The first thing that struck me when I booted this up was how neat the presentation was. 20 minutes later and I just kind of felt a bit overwhelmed with presentation to the point where I just wanted to play and not hear the narrator and whoever else talk. It kind of got annoying and the simplistic gameplay was boring. I'm on ACT 2 and just got the bomb power and so far the game is okayish but the gameplay boring to me. There's just way too much dialogue and cutscenes and it feels overdone.

I don't know if it's because I'm just excited for GTA V that I can't seem to focus on the game but I just cut it off mid level(Also the levels take far too long to complete.)

Cheers,

Gavin.

Gavin, this is my GOTY. I already finished the game and I thought it was the most awesome game that I have played this year. Maybe is simple gameplay wise, (I disagree to an extent) but when I was cuting throught the credits, I realized that feeling is the reason why I play video games.

Thank you sir, and many thanks to your team.

Pd: Also, I should mention, the Latin American localization was awesome. I rarely play games in Spanish for LatinAmerica, but I got the feeling I needed to play the game with the language that I use since I was a child. Whatever was in charge of the localization, I also wanted to say thank you.

Neiteio

I just finished Act 2. All six levels up to this point have been incredible. I know the game is doing something right when I want to go back to every single level. It's just so much fun romping around, zipping along seams, juggling enemies, blasting bombs, carving up smoke and leaves, deflecting attacks, and rolling rolling rolling. Such snappy controls! And my mind boggles at the sheer variety of stuff happening in each level. You never see the same thing twice. The whole game just keeps escalating and topping itself scene after scene. It's like Kid Icarus Uprising levels of variety. And the writing, the voice acting and the music are all top-notch! The lighting is gorgeous! And the animation -- it's exhausting, the work that must've gone into the animation. This particularly struck me during the bit in the forest in Act 2 when the witch and the sun princess are bickering and poking at each other. They're polygonal puppets but they animate with such lively fluidity. Simply superb!

game is great, almost no complaints from me so far. Apart from one thing which is really annoying me.....

This game really, really deserves to be 60fps.
All of you people that said it's slow moving so doesn't need it are wrong.
As soon as you start cutting fast along seams, the visuals fall apart.And the motion blur just makes things worse in these situations. The developers deserve this game to be seen in 60fps and 1080p,
it's a massive shame given the love and devotion that's clearly been poured into this. The game has been made with such passion and attention to detail that i'm annoyed it's not given it's best chance to shine in terms of picture clarity. This should have been a ps4 launch title (it would have made me pick one up)

When everything is plodding along, the visuals are fine. But as soon as you start whizzing along seams, it turns into a blurry mess. It's the first ps3 game i've played that clearly deserves better hardware. Sony, get this on ps4!

Jesus Christ, this game.

This goddamn game, it's simply incredible. The platforming is a little on the easy side and normally that'd bug the hell out of me but the rest of the game is so damn incredible that this is easily forgiven. I haven't played a lot yet, just finished the first act and then to go to sleep, but what I did play I enjoyed immensely.

The presentation is off the charts, it's the best presented game I've played this entire generation. The aesthetics, the soundtrack, the ambient sounds, everything just adds tot his incredible sense of charm that you just can't help but instantly fall in love.

It does have one issue, as I mentioned above the platforming is incredibly basic and offers very little challenge so far, I'd say I hope that changes as the game progresses, but impressions would suggest otherwise. This is easily forgiven though and it's something that can be fixed in any sequel that might come about. It's not all bad though, the platforming is satisfying and very responsive. Not sure I agree with those who compared it to DCKR, but it's certainly up there as one of the better platformers released this generation.

Lastly, I really cannot emphasis enough just how incredibly charming this game is. I fell in love the instant it started and even though it might he a little heavy on the exposition side, the charm factor makes this a complete non issue (for me at least).

Incredible game, if you're a fan of charming games you'd be doing yourself a great disservice by not buying this game straight away. You will be blown away.

Gavin Moore, you magnificent bastard. You and the team have created an incredible game and I hope to see it become a long standing franchise.

Hanmik

Cheers,

Gavin.

Would like to tweet to both you and Yosp.. but I don´t know your Twitter account, and Yosp blocked me..

I loved your game.. one of the best games of 2013 by far.

Anyone can tweet me here if you feel inclined

https://twitter.com/GavinmGavin

Also "Magnificent Bastard" is the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time.

I rarely use twitter, but I'll be sure to change that and bombard you with tweets of how much I'm enjoying this game.

It's from the heart. This truly is a fantastic game. Most charming game I've played this generation and I say this having played games like Critter Crunch, Lost Winds, Braid, Viva Pinata, LBP, Kameo, etc.

Hanmik

Heh. Why?

I was asking him something about why a game on Vita wasn´t in native resolution (he always answered me and we had written about family and life before) , But then another guy (from gaf) joined the twitter conversation. He wrote something funny and I replied with my lame black humor again, and forgot to remove @yosp from the tweet.. the other gaffer continued tweeting and we both got blocked by Yosp. It´s not the end of the world, but I liked writing with Yosp on twitter, he has good humor and is not afraid to talk about private stuff (children etc.).

I was asking him something about why a game on Vita wasn´t in native resolution (he always answered me and we had written about family and life before) , But then another guy (from gaf) joined the twitter conversation. He wrote something funny and I replied with my lame black humor again, and forgot to remove @yosp from the tweet.. the other gaffer continued tweeting and we both got blocked by Yosp. It´s no the end of the world, but I liked writing with Yosp on twitter, he has good humor and is not afraid to talk about private stuff (children etc.).

That's unfortunate. I guess it's better than him blocking for complaining about the Vita.

I was asking him something about why a game on Vita wasn´t in native resolution (he always answered me and we had written about family and life before) , But then another guy (from gaf) joined the twitter conversation. He wrote something funny and I replied with my lame black humor again, and forgot to remove @yosp from the tweet.. the other gaffer continued tweeting and we both got blocked by Yosp. It´s not the end of the world, but I liked writing with Yosp on twitter, he has good humor and is not afraid to talk about private stuff (children etc.).

Lol called it.

Indirectly about Vita ;)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Started this game last night and holy shit. I don't remember a whole lot of what happened in Act 1 but I loved it. Gameplay is very awkward at first but I got the hang of things eventually as you get used to the mechanics and when new elements get introduced.

Its not very challenging at all but that went smoothly with the not so sober mindset I was playing in. Shame this game flopped so hard but its far too eccentric for most people to give it a chance.

Mdk7

I got to play a little bit again yesterday and once again... WOAH!
I usually play the hell out of the games i love, like even straight 10+ hrs sessions... yet this time, also because of work, i do enjoy playing this beauty little by little, as if i was a sort of gaming sommelier feeling all the taste and all the single notes of the experience.

So, i decided to complete one act per evening, and this is making me enjoy Puppeteer even more: i come home, i relax a bit, i have dinner and then i put my 3D glasses on (first time i actually use them with my Panny plasma, LOL) and get on stage with Kutaro.

I am so loving this, i fucking adore the astonishing attention to detail - the fact that everything is just a theatrical representation is amazing, and i love to see how the whole ensemble feels both so incredibly alive yet at the same time fake (in a cool, twisted old school special fx kinda way!) - and i keep smiling while playing.

Yet my jaw really really dropped in the 2-3 stage, with the fight against
the snake
MY GOD the 3D there, the sense of movement, the rhythm, the way the boss encounter is developed... i was really, really blown away.

Don't really know why, but Puppeteer reminds me in a weird, subconscious way of my childhood and of the Saturn era i loved so much... a classic in the making for me, it's already among my favorite titles of the year (and probably at least of the generation if not ever).

Seriously, THANK YOU Sony (and above all Gavin Moore) for this.
/bows

-PXG-

I need to play this in 3D tonight. I keep forgetting to turn it on.

I also wouldn't mind a Vita version. In fact, I feel that the control scheme along with Kutaro's abilities would be better suited for the Vita's touch screen and touch pad. A PS4 port in 1080p, 60 fps and with touch controls would be outstanding. A sequel would be even better

Top Bottom