• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puppeteer |OT| $40, No Strings Attached

If you didn't enjoy it... I'm sorry. We will try and do better next time. If there is a next time.

I really loved it - the graphics, the music, the level design, the story, the controls, almost everything. The only thing that prevented it from being an instant classic for me was that you didn't put a challenging mode (or something like that) for us "older children" - these mechanics and controls are so great, they deserved to be pushed to their limits!

Still, it was the most charming game I've had pleasure to play in a long time. I really hope you'll sit in a director's chair again as soon as possible.

wouwie

I haven't finished the game yet (currently at 3-2) but at this point i think it's safe to say that the presentation, both visually and in music/sound, is second to none. The sheer amount of visual content that flows from scene to scene is unbelievable and something you rarely (or never) see anymore in games these days.

It's obvious that a crazy amount of hard work, passion, imagination and creativity went into this game. Rarely have i seen a game with so much animation and attention to detail going on at all times. In fact, at times i feel that i have only seen a fraction of each scene because i don't know where to look first.

Visually and presentation wise, it's a delight and nothing short of magical. Whether that is enough for a great game is something else though. But more on that when i finish the game and can make a final judgement. At this point, i can only say that everything other than gameplay/controls is absolutely fantastic.

If you didn't enjoy it... I'm sorry. We will try and do better next time. If there is a next time.

As much as i'm looking forward to the inevitable uncharted, god of war and last guardian on ps4.I think a puppeteer sequel or port has now become my most wanted game once i pick one up.
And in my opinion, if any developer deserves another chance, it's you.
I really hope you get another crack at this, with a few gameplay/difficulty adjustments and a better picture quality it could be truly amazing.
Thanks Gavin, your team has made my bitter and jaded heart very happy.

wilflare

Feel free to tweet me if you wish but if you liked Puppeteer you could always tweet Yoshida san. ;)

Thanks to all of you who bought Puppeteer and supported creativity in the gaming world.
It means a lot to me as a game creator and a lot to the Puppeteer team.

Cheers,

Gavin.

glad to see a developer posting on GAF!
I'm crossing my fingers for a Vita release!

and I really hope your team's partnership with Sony would not end here!
you guys have potential!

Playing this and Killzone Mercenary concurrently reaffirm to me that Sony has the best developers in the world. You will not find a company that can release two games that are so artistically different yet both look amazing and are a ton of fun to play.

Neiteio

Playing this and Killzone Mercenary concurrently reaffirm to me that Sony has the best developers in the world. You will not find a company that can release two games that are so artistically different yet both look amazing and are a ton of fun to play.
Nintendo does it all the time. Look at their concurrent 3DS and WiiU lineups this fall. Heck, ALBW and SM3DW come out the same day.

At any rate, I'm absolutely in love with Puppeteer. I think this game is being criminally overlooked and I want to rectify that.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Feel free to tweet me if you wish but if you liked Puppeteer you could always tweet Yoshida san. ;)

Thanks to all of you who bought Puppeteer and supported creativity in the gaming world.
It means a lot to me as a game creator and a lot to the Puppeteer team.

Cheers,

Gavin.

I planned to pick up Pupeteer in a few months because I'm already drowning in new game releases (Killer is Dead, Wonderful 101, etc.), but now that I read this I'm strongly considering picking it up now, just to support creative teams like yours as much as I can...

The game looks incredible, I can't wait to play it.

Neiteio

I planned to pick up Pupeteer in a few months because I'm already drowning in new game releases (Killer is Dead, Wonderful 101, etc.), but now that I read this I'm strongly considering picking it up now, just to support creative teams like yours as much as I can...

Do it, it's totally worth it. Playing through a curtain or two each night is the best way to close out the day. You never see the same thing twice, the mechanics are a joy, the presentation is incredible, and the presentation actually ties into the gameplay by constantly changing the stage and scenario. It's a more remarkable experience than the vast majority of $60 games and it's only $40. Go for it!

Yes Boss!

Mine is out for delivery. Should pick it up tonight or tomorrow at my PO Box. One of my most anticipated games of the year. This and GTA are going to make this month amazing.

Roko

I emailed Amazon earlier for my code. The just now got back to me and gave me the promotional code for Killzone Mercenary on the Vita. :|

Now I have a code for a game that I don't need. I preordered KZ from GS and got my codes for that game from there. SMH.

Amazon has never been this bad at getting me my preoder stuff. I don't know why it's worse suddenly lol.

I still haven't received the Puppeteer code from Amazon and I'm hesitant to email them about it given your experience. I guess I don't really have a choice, though.

Do it, it's totally worth it. Playing through a curtain or two each night is the best way to close out the day. You never see the same thing twice, the mechanics are a joy, the presentation is incredible, and the presentation actually ties into the gameplay by constantly changing the stage and scenario. It's a more remarkable experience than the vast majority of $60 games and it's only $40. Go for it!

Absolutely, do it. It's an incredibly charming and thoroughly enjoyable game. Humour is pretty great too.

I've got some friends and their kids coming over the weekend, this should keep them busy for a few hours and it will likely sell a few more copies too...

Been playing this since Thursday. I'm on Act 4 now and I must say, I doubt I'll play a more enchanting, majestic title this year (rain and Tearaway got a lotta work to do). Presentation wise, it's just second to none. And you can tell a lot of sweat, blood and tears went into this game, on every front. Impeccable voice acting, a witty script, some of the best visuals of the gen, relentlessly imaginative level design, so on and so forth. And using Calibrus never gets old. It's such a wondrous little game and I feel privileged just to play it.

One thing that pisses me off however is when you fall to your death, and instead of picking up exactly where you left off you're transported to the previous checkpoint. That should only happen after you lose all three of your heads, not just one because you mistimed a jump. It's too harsh a punishment and quickly becomes annoying. And yes, cutscenes have a habit of dragging on a little longer than they should. It's not that I don't enjoy watching them, but they do kill the pacing somewhat when you're itching to get back in the action.

And another thing. Everyone raves about 3-2, but 3-3
is where it’s really at. Best boss battle of the game so far, the narrator switching sides and nerding out over Robocrab, a trophy called “Much Apork About Mutton” and best of all – a giant enemy crab reference! One can never have too many giant enemy crab references.

Just wanted to add my two cents. Only completed the first act but I'm in love with the presentation, stlye, and atmosphere of this game. It's awesome. Great job and for $40 I think it's a steal.

Just finished 6-2 and I'm still really, really enjoying it. Glad I'm not just gluttonously slamming through it. The game feels classic in the sense that it shines in its simplicity. I'd honestly love more games like this. You know, the ones that do a select few things but they do them extremely well. :)

Well I just got the game today (released in the UK) and I'm very taken by it. What a unique and interesting game. I again, have only done the first chapter (well twice, once with 3D on (which is also a nice touch)) but really liking the style and presentation. There's nothing else like it, which is just why I love Sony's variation in making and supporting stuff like this. Haven't been able to complete that bonus round yet though :(

Can't wait to play more and see what else it has in store for me.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
For those who have beaten the game already, how many Acts are there?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is there a way to turn on subtitles for the narration and spoken bits? Can't seem to find that option...

Stampy

Is there a way to turn on subtitles for the narration and spoken bits? Can't seem to find that option...

Start the game, just press start to skip all the cutscenes. when you have the control over the character press start - option - subtitles on - go back to main menu, and start the game again.

Stampy

The thing is that when you start the game for the first time, you can't turn on the subtitles at the very beginning. Bit weird decision not to include option menue at the start.

For those who have beaten the game already, how many Acts are there?

7 acts, 3 scenes for each act. Is 21 levels in total.

The thing is that when you start the game for the first time, you can't turn on the subtitles at the very beginning. Bit weird decision not to include option menue at the start.

I always dislike when narrative driven games does that. Rockstar tends to do that a lot.

Neiteio

7 acts, 3 scenes for each act. Is 21 levels in total
Yeah, and to be clear, these levels are more like mini-adventures -- longer and with more going on than the typical platforming stage. The presentation literally reshapes the stage as you go and even changes it on the fly (I.E. weavers flying through slicing down tapestries you then leap to and cut across).

aristotle

I still haven't received the Puppeteer code from Amazon and I'm hesitant to email them about it given your experience. I guess I don't really have a choice, though.

Email them. I forgot to post an update but I finally got the right code. Amazon is usually really great and this was the first time I've had any issue with them.

Stampy

This game is really charming, I am just early in but am enjoying it very much. BTW, Gavin, did you maybe play Psychonauts theater level, was it an inspiration?

Robotziane

Neo Member
Missing head no 4 and no 7 in act 1 curtain 1. Been through the stage 3 times and still can't find them. Anyone had any luck?

megalowho

Going to download this tonight. Might be headed towards platformer overload with Rayman Legends and Spelunky still taking up a good chunk of my time but Puppeteer looks too good to pass up. Happy to support creative games like this, especially when they're priced appropriately.

Stainless

Finished Act 1 Curtain 3. Steps up in...if not difficulty, then activity level. Really enjoy the game. Lot of story compared to gameplay but since it is continuing to introduce new gameplay elements I think things will continue to pick up and the pace will increase. The platforming is spot-on. Not floaty. And you gotta be reeeally quick sometimes.

Usually I just blast through stuff for story and admiring the art design but rarely replay anything. Multiplayer games I will play a lot but single player games or platformers I just don't tend to replay and I don't care about collecting coins or stars, etc. To me it kind of kills the enjoyment if I'm focused on it. This game will make me a completionist, for sure. I've replayed the first 2 curtains a couple times and having just finished the third, I am going to replay it again. Sometimes I don't find what I missed but it's still fun and doesn't feel like a chore.

Mdk7

People playing this in 3d? Is it good? It looks like it would be awesome...

Mine is in transit... damn fedex.
It's not good... it's beyond awesome.

I had never played a game in 3d on a home console before (and i'm frankly bored by 3d at the movies), yet in this case the third dimension truly adds something to a very special formula.
Seriously, the whole game works divinely in 3D, to the point of being probably the best showcase of the tech applied to games.

If you have the chance, definitely turn the 3D on!

Impressed with the title so far ... ( just finished first act). The soundtrack is stellar ... this much creativity and atmosphere in one game, reminds me Nights on Saturn at that time.

So rare those days to have a game this original with all those FPS , it deserves to almost be bought twice.

aristotle

It's not good... it's beyond awesome.

I had never played a game in 3d on a home console before (and i'm frankly bored by 3d at the movies), yet in this case the third dimension truly adds something to a very special formula.
Seriously, the whole game works divinely in 3D, to the point of being probably the best showcase of the tech applied to games.

If you have the chance, definitely turn the 3D on!

I wish the 3d worked for me. It's wonky on my tv even though it's brand new. As I've posted already there is at least one "tear" in the top of the curtain that bugs me. It's not there when playing in 2d either.

Seems great, just a bit in to the first act.

I gotta say I'm disappointed with the coop implementation though. My wife loves the style of the game, but it seems like the second player just isn't that engaged, really only exist to collect stuff.

Does it get better than that? Anybody tackled most/all of the game in coop?

-PXG-

It looks fantastic in 3D. Doesn't hurt the eyes either.

I'm on the final act. This game doesn't ever let up. I never thought I would experience one of my favorite games in years so late this gen. This is the PS3's swan song. Utterly brilliant, fun and a visual master piece. Easily one of the best games on the PS3. Well done. I can't give it enough praise.

chifanpoe

This along with The Last of Us and possibly GT 6 will be my game of the year contenders.

I am blown away by how much fun and creativity went into this game is.

Yuterald

Alright, to be honest, I wasn't really digging Act 1 (probably due to the tutorial-like nature and the fact that I played half of it from the demo), but I just finished Curtain 1 of Act 2 and I think the game's perfect, actually. At first, I was a little bothered about the nature of the heads. I didn't care for the fact that they were mainly used for bonus rooms or new routes, but all the unique dialogue/animations you get out of them is really cool and the power-up heads make it interesting enough.

As far as the difficulty complaints...you know what, I couldn't care less. There are enough other platformer/2D games out there that are challenging if I need that adrenaline run. Not every game needs to be difficult out of its ass. Actually, between all the unique animations, the art assets, and the chill difficulty, it sort of reminds me why I loved Kirby's Epic Yarn. That was another platformer that got pegged for its difficulty, but it was fun and extremely creative. This game feels similar in that regard.

hodgy100

Just finished this. It is seriously one of the best games to come out this year. It feels like they are underselling it at the £25 price point. I would have gladly paid much more for this absolute gem of a game

Tohsaka

I finished the game a bit ago, thought it was really good. My only real complaint is the fact that the heads don't really do much other than activating bonus levels and shortcuts and such, it would've been cool to be able to attack with them. Other than that it was a really charming, well-made game. Hopefully it sells better in the west than in Japan, it really deserves it.

Top Bottom