• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puppeteer |OT| $40, No Strings Attached

I'm on Act 4 curtain 2 and WOW at the freaking levels. This game has a sort of presentation that stands on it's own and is freaking cool. It's like something that Media Molecule would make.

JoeFenix

I started replaying the game to collect all the heads and souls that I've missed and I really like how they handled the hints on the head collection screen. They give you just enough of a clue to make you think you know where it might be, usually it turns out you're right but sometimes you have to get a little creative to find it. Good stuff!

What's even cooler is the fact that they've sprinkled in shortcuts that make use of abilities you wouldn't have at that point in the game to make the level flow better on replay. I thought the head abilities were a bit poorly designed in the sense that having the right head for the right situation seemed like luck but actually the levels are set up to give you the heads you need. There's even some nice progression where one head ability reveals a new head that allows you to basically skip a section of the level or even one hit kill the boss.

Love finding and completing the bonus levels too, the entrance to these is always unique and crazy. The amount of polish and creativity is through the roof!

Wow at all of Act 5! Best one yet!

jXXrwhc.gif

Neiteio

Wow at all of Act 5! Best one yet!

jXXrwhc.gif
Yeah, I literally just finished Act 5 myself like 10 minutes ago. Just... WOW. In particular, 5-2 with Kutaro
rolling to lose weight, eluding the giant jack-o-lantern man with the cavities, and meeting the stretchy-neck woman.
All kinds of crazy. The BEST kind of crazy!

And while this isn't DKCR difficult, it's by no means a pushover. You have to think about what you're doing, on the bosses especially, since the windows for timing can be quite narrow. The game is quite forgiving on the whole, and it's always intuitive enough what needs to be done, but there's skill involved and it's a great deal of fun.

leroidys

I just finished Act 5 as well. This game is the real deal. So much detail and vitality in this game. Gavin wasn't kidding about the kodawari thing.

I love how many great boss fights this game throws at you. Puts to shame all the platformers that reuse bosses.

Only with platforming that is actually fun!

(Still bitter about LBP's misplaced priorities)

Well, time to play more Puppeteer. ACT 3, HEY-O!

LBP1 is shit but some of the campaign levels in 2 are amongst my favorite levels of the generation.

Finished act 2 last night - simply incredible. I have to give a special mention to the humour littered throughout the cut-scenes. It's really so much better than I thought it would be, cheesy but just the right amount of cheese that it never becomes too annoying.

Oh and the Saturday morning cartoon massacre in the forest was fantastic. Haven't laughed so much in quite some time.

JoeFenix

Yeah, I literally just finished Act 5 myself like 10 minutes ago. Just... WOW. In particular, 5-2 with Kutaro
rolling to lose weight, eluding the giant jack-o-lantern man with the cavities, and meeting the stretchy-neck woman.
All kinds of crazy. The BEST kind of crazy!

And while this isn't DKCR difficult, it's by no means a pushover. You have to think about what you're doing, on the bosses especially, since the windows for timing can be quite narrow. The game is quite forgiving on the whole, and it's always intuitive enough what needs to be done, but there's skill involved and it's a great deal of fun.

I'll need to replay it but on my initial run through Act 5 I thought it was pretty weak in terms of gameplay. Distance yourself from the amazing art/scenarios and there just didn't seem to be much to the levels themselves. I thought Act 4 was absolutely awesome though.

The game really does shine on replays though, finding the heads is incredibly fun and satisfying. Do yourself a favor and don't use a guide, the hints are enough to point you in the right direction.

One small nitpick, alot of "secret" areas don't give you any reward other than a couple moonsparkles. A bit of a missed opportunity for either an entirely new kind of collectible or atleast one of the hundredsparkles. Speaking of those, they're pretty fun to get, wish they were logged somewhere though considering you have to collect all of them for one of the trophies.

This game just might turn into a classic, it's got a surprising amount of meat on its bones once you dig in.

-PXG-

Finished it last night. There was never a single dull moment. I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced. It did not disappoint and exceeded my expectations in every single way. If anything, the only thing that could have been better, was to give each head offensive or defensive properties. Maybe have it be at 1080p and 60 fps, but I'm in no way upset about the presentation at all. It's one of the most beautifully crafted and well animated games I have ever played in my entire gaming life. Other than head thing, I can't complain. Puppeteer is a near perfect game. It deserves all the praise it receives, and then some.

I like how the head collection screen gives you hints as to where the missing heads are. It's a nice touch and encourages you to find them without beating you over the head with it or being painfully vague either.

Edit

Oh. Release the FULL soundtrack, please. The one that came with the game is missing so many tracks. The music is amazing. It would be a criminal injustice to the fans and those who worked hard on the music itself, to not release the entire OST.

Stampy

I am slowly playing the game, just on act 2, but this game is really turning out to be something else. It's not that I am having much fun gameplay vise, but the game just keep throwing something at me, and I am soaking it all up in amazement.

I can't believe the lack of attention this game is getting. Even on the PS Store it only has a few reviews, and only sold 10% of the stock in Japan.

Guys, prepare yourselves for the fact that this game is going to do poorly at retail.

Which is immensely unfortunate given the level of quality. I haven't been this impressed with a game in the platforming genre since Mario Galaxy.

I hope Sony recognizes the talent, and doesn't strictly focus on sales. Gavin Moore's team needs to be able to work on more projects. He's just about the ONLY thing that's come out of studio Japan this gen (outside of GT/DS) that hasn't been absolute crap...and it proves that Sony's Japanese teams can make AAA productions that rival their western counterparts (or exceed it, in Puppeteer's case -- the graphics are genuinely amazing and the production values and attention to detail shame a lot of games made in the West)

Stampy

Guys, prepare yourselves for the fact that this game is going to do poorly at retail.

I am in a confused state. I don't know if I should feel sad for the situation, be angry at the gamers who are so predictable in their indolent lack of support for unique games, or to just fully enjoy this great piece of work knowing that similar project(s) will not be green lighted in the near future. :/

Excuse me, while I go cry in the corner of my room.

Dr Dogg

You know what playing Puppeteer has made me realise what a miserable, cynical git I've become. I've been sat here with the biggest grin on my chops stretching ear to ear from the moment I put it on last night.

Just finished act 3 and everything the game has shown so far has struck a chord with me. From the excellent score (glad I pre-ordered now), the constant curtain, the character tracking spotlight and the stage with footlights on screen, to that slightly maniacal feeling of snipping everything to pieces with a pair of scissors (I'm sure we we're all like that as kids). Even the animation of every character, regardless if they are the focus of attention or just in the background, is hilarious.

What's more this has brought a whole host of memories flooding back. Whether it was watching puppet shows like Punch and Judy at the end of the pier during school holiday or various pantomimes during crimbo. There's even a feeling of fairytale stories ala The Brothers Grimm and Aesop's Fables rattling around my head.

It feels kind of strange to say this but this game has kind of captured my heart. Well it's certainly going to be considered as one of, if not the most favorite game of the year for me. So much so I'm not bothered about that 'other' game that comes out on Tuesday.

This is what we need more of, creativity and charm. Not grit and realism.

Bravo Gavin Moore and the team at Japan Studio. Take a well deserved bow and I hope you guys come back for an encore.

Jigolo

Just finished the game, I thought it was very good.

+Epic presentation and graphics.
+Great graphics to go with great music as well.
+Game is long. Each Curtain is not your normal level like the ones in games like Rayman, they are long and take an average of 30 min or more to beat (if you look for secrets)
+Tight controls.
+Great boss fights
+Act 3
+Hero head variation
+So many heads to collect
+Unique. The game is unlike anything I've played before and is a breath of fresh air. The combat and movement with Calibrus is new. New isn't always a good thing unless done right and this game got most of it right.

-*Camera position (Mainly only in the segments when cutting through the ropes. It came very apparent in Act 4). Should be moved ahead slightly so we can see what's coming.
-Some head secrets are only for Moon Shards
-Heads don't do anything other than unlock secrets. +Although I love head UFO animation
-Long levels is also a drawback for me, I don't want to play through the whole level just to find tiny moonshard secrets.
-Little replay value for me

8/10 Very good. This is a talented group of people that I hope get to develop another great game. SUPPORT THIS TITLE.

My favorite Acts go like this:

Act 3 > Act 4 > Act 6 > Act 7 > Act 5 > Act 2 > Act 1

So annoyed that Gamefly hasn't shipped this yet. I don't expect them to get many copies back until after GTAV is out. Don't expect to be done with GTAV for weeks, so I'll just have to take a break for this :p

Stampy

LOL at the comparison of the passage of time with frogs in a blender in act 2. This game has really witty writing.

vg260

I started playing this last night, and was falling asleep through the first 20 minutes. I feel like a terrible person. Gonna restart when I'm not so tired.

Wasn't really impressed by the stereoscopic 3D, though. It seemed really subtle. I was hoping for better after playing Trine 2 in 3d (PC).

Three copies successfully sold to my mates kids today. They loved it, as I fully expected they would...surprisingly though, my friends were pretty into too. Following the story as the kids played, commenting on how fantastic the presentation and soundtrack was and even a special mention for the presenter...

This is one of those rare games that's as enjoyable to watch others play as it is to play yourself.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Voicework, music, graphics, creativity, feels like Disney made it.

Fuck it im gonna go to best buy and buy it. Secret GOTY

potam

Banned
I'm generally not into side scrollers, but this game looks really good. How fluid/smooth is it? Are the controls tight? I'm thinking about picking this one up tomorrow, since it's only $40.

wapplew

I so want to buy this now, but i want to wait until I have a chance to play it in 3D.
Should I wait or I just replay it in 3D later?

Stampy

I so want to buy this now, but i want to wait until I have a chance to play it in 3D.
Should I wait or I just replay it in 3D later?

I would buy it now, since some levels are worth replaying multiple times. Basically, you can have the approach the play it once, and when you get the 3d level, play all the levels again for a completionist run.

I'm generally not into side scrollers, but this game looks really good. How fluid/smooth is it? Are the controls tight? I'm thinking about picking this one up tomorrow, since it's only $40.

The controlls are fine. Not meatboy level tight, but tight as needed.

Not to be a dick, but can we spoiler tag Easter eggs, etc for a little while longer? The game only just came out and not everyone is able to blitz through or play more than a couple of curtains a night.

Apologies if that comes off as being dickish.

Hyunashi

Just finished act 5 and I have to say ... wow. This game is really really really reallllllly fun.
I wish I had a chance to play it in 3D :(

Carl

Not to be a dick, but can we spoiler tag Easter eggs, etc for a little while longer? The game only just came out and not everyone is able to blitz through or play more than a couple of curtains a night.

Apologies if that comes off as being dickish.

I agree. Been waiting for the damn game to download since Wednesday and been reading this thread and wish i hadn't read some things

Himself

I think I've decided I love this game. At first I was stunned by the presentation, but by the end of Act 2 the gameplay felt a bit thin. Now after finishing Acts 3 and 4 (so imaginative!), learning a few more mechanics (this game brings more than one new idea to 2D platformers), a little elevation in difficulty and I'm totally back in it. This game just has so many charming ideas.

I would love to see what some refinement to the gameplay could do for a Puppeteer 2 on PS4.

Top Bottom