• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puppeteer |OT| $40, No Strings Attached

Himself

Probably mentioned already but I could have sworn I heard something something "cock suckers".

What did they really say?

Cudsuckers. I thought I heard cocksuckers for a minute there too, then realized they were talking about the cows. Though there is definitely no shortage of thinly veiled adult humor all over the place. Even though I generally think it's a bit too incessant which sort of dampens the impact of the really good stuff, there is some great dialogue in this game.

cyborg009

Banned
Has anyone here downloaded the theme that came from the preorder? The concept art is 1:1 to the actual game. Bravo Gavin!

Also give me that art with Poseidon holding Kutaro.

I got the game yesterday and started to play just to end the first chapter of act 1. Awesome game but now that i tried to continue, I got some problems with my controllers...

The same controller I used yesterday started vibrating when turned on the PS3, and wont stop no matter what. Maybe its just bad timing and my controller broke. But anyway I connected another controller and I can only move kutaro or the cat, but I cant jump or cut or roll. The game doesnt detect my button presses IN GAME. If I pause the game I can select the the options or go back the menus with X and O, but when I un-pause the game, I cant jump or cut.

Does anyone have a similar problem? I have a fat launch PS3 80GB...

Already tried resetting the vibrating controller but no, it just vibrates when turned on, or if it has the USB connected vibrates anyway without even been turned on.

-PXG-

I'm doing a second play through now, getting all the heads and bonus levels. It's even more satisfying than the first run . The
Witch
head in Act 4 Curtain 1 is so tedious :/

VanWinkle

Act 5 is really awesome. Just did the first two curtains of it with my fiancee and it was so cool. She's huge into Halloween so this has been her favorite so far.

If anyone have a capable TV, try to enable your motion flow settings, normally sucks for games but this game its 30 fps stable and it looks awesome simulating the 60 fps.

Just finished the demo. I will buy it but first I will finish my huge backlog. The art direction of this game is very nice, The most awesome part of this game I think it's the soundtrack, pure magic.

MercuryLS

Banned
I think I've decided I love this game. At first I was stunned by the presentation, but by the end of Act 2 the gameplay felt a bit thin. Now after finishing Acts 3 and 4 (so imaginative!), learning a few more mechanics (this game brings more than one new idea to 2D platformers), a little elevation in difficulty and I'm totally back in it. This game just has so many charming ideas.

I would love to see what some refinement to the gameplay could do for a Puppeteer 2 on PS4.

I agree 100%. Had the same exact experience, Act 1/2 had such amazing presentation but the gameplay felt a bit too thin like you said. Was worried that the whole game was going to be like this, then BAM Act 3 just blows you away and every Act after that is just as good or better.

Theman2k

I allready got my copy ordered, but i cant shake the feeling this game will be overlooked by many (including many gaffers), thus making for poor sales and making puppeteer 2 no more then a dream. Developers will think twice between making this and another dudebro game. :((

Thats why i have the need to share this magic i guess.

JoeFenix

I allready got my copy ordered, but i cant shake the feeling this game will be overlooked by many (including many gaffers), thus making for poor sales and making puppeteer 2 no more then a dream. Developers will think twice between making this and another dudebro game. :((

Thats why i have the need to share this magic i guess.

Well Puppeteer is a self contained "complete" feeling experience so I don't really mind if we don't get a sequel. I would actually really like to see what other crazy concept this team can come up with!

RedSwirl

Wow, this is some of the most unique presentation I've seen in a side scrolling game. I like how there's basically no break in it at all.

Neiteio

As I said in my appreciation thread:

I just finished the game...

M-A-G-N-I-F-I-C-E-N-T!

Acts 6 and 7 really ramped up the challenge -- the last six levels were PACKED with hazards. The final boss was top-notch. So was the build-up and payoff, tying together all of the story threads. Such tremendous variety -- my head spins at it all! And a truly heartwarming ending.
Little Bear. ;_;

A GOTY contender, no doubt. Shame this game is going to be Earthbound'd -- a sales miss now, but destined to become a cult hit and all-time classic later. So fun to play!

Seriously -- SO GOOD. I'm just happy this game exists. The game itself seems happy to exist, much like Kid Icarus Uprising.

*glowing*

sub_o

I've just reached Act 4. What an amazing game.

This game is delightful and charming. I'm already 30, and it managed to evoke my childish curiosity. The presentation and story is created like a bedtime storybook for kids with pure silly fun.

All I need is a daughter to play with ...

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just finished act 5 and I have to say ... wow. This game is really really really reallllllly fun.
I wish I had a chance to play it in 3D :(

Are you me?

Also just beat Act 5 and keep wanting to experience this in 3D even tho I usually keep that off on my 3DS.

This game is so unique, there's nothing quite like it out there.

wilflare

can someone join me in my selfish pursuit of #PuppeteerVita? tweet it to @yosp :p

I was really surprised by the lack of a Vita version

anddo0

This game is really something else. I've neglected it a little (Diablo III). But through 3 chapters, this is a real gem. The themes are well thought out. It truly feels like a genuine theatrical experience.. Chapter 3 was amazing, and judging by the impressions in this thread it only gets better from here.

I love the boss battle during 5-2, where you
go inside the pumpkin head.
Inspired stuff. In fact, most of the boss battles are of the finest quality. Whoever the critic was that said they all follow the same formula can go do one. Buttmunch.

Skilletor

Could somebody link me a vid with really cool platforming. Right now, I see no reason to play it after the first level. I want to like it, but I was bored to tears and the presentation means nothing to me if it's not complimented by great gameplay.

I want to believe. Show my why.

Yanksfan

It is weird, I had no heard of this game at all until I saw this thread. I fell in love though and am going to pick it up through PSN later today. I hope it is as good as it looks and most of you make it sound.

olimpia84

Could somebody link me a vid with really cool platforming. Right now, I see no reason to play it after the first level. I want to like it, but I was bored to tears and the presentation means nothing to me if it's not complimented by great gameplay.

To be honest, strictly speaking in terms of platforming the game is not very good. It's the presentation (visual and audio) that really makes the game stand out (at least for me). With that being said, keep on playing and give the game a try. The platforming does get better in later stages as you learn new moves and the difficulty ramps up a bit.

Robotziane

Neo Member
Am I right in thinking souls are what you collect when defeating enemies in this game. So when going for a 100% souls in a level you need to be looking out for enemies.

This is so true. Puppeteer really does remind me of golden era Disney.

Ehhh, it's closer to post Lion King Disney than golden era Disney. That's still an amazing achievement. Very few games manage to reach those levels of charm.

Yeah, I supposed those are the souls of the children

Yeah, you can occasionally see the
enemies trying to grab the few kids that are littered around the various levels.
I thought that was a nice and pretty creepy touch.

Skilletor

To be honest, strictly speaking in terms of platforming the game is not very good. It's the presentation (visual and audio) that really makes the game stand out (at least for me). With that being said, keep on playing and give the game a try. The platforming does get better in later stages as you learn new moves and the difficulty ramps up a bit.

Eh, that's the exact opposite of what I wanted to hear. I couldn't care less about the presentation. :/

MercuryLS

Banned

Game really starts to get great gameplay-wise in Act 3 IMO. Act 1 and 2 are like tutorials, but the time you get to Act 3, the new powers introduced in the game really opens things up. The level design and encounters get better and more varied as well. Stick with it, it's worth it.

MercuryLS

Banned
Inspired stuff. In fact, most of the boss battles are of the finest quality. Whoever the critic was that said they all follow the same formula can go do one. Buttmunch.

Yeah, this boss battle was amazing.

VanWinkle

I LOVED this. I just did that last night. It was amazing.

-PXG-

Browsing through these trophies.... Just brutal, but very creative. I wonder if graverobber will attempt to Platinum this game.

The 3D in this game is amazing. And I hate 3D-implementation most of the time. It really works well with the theater setup.

Definitely GOTY contender material right here.

Jetman

Picked up the only copy of this received at my local Gamestop (and it wasn't gutted thankfully), thanks to GAF recommendations - will play tonight!

Neiteio

The first level (and first world, in many respects) is a tutorial. Try up through 2-1 -- things start to ramp up. (I personally think it really steps up at 3-2, but 2-1 is nice).

I just did Acts 6 and 7 yesterday and I was dying multiple times per level. Once you have the shield, bombs, grappling hook, wrestling slam, Calibrus dash and learn how to jump on ziplines, the way they layer all of these elements together with collapsing platforms, tilting platforms, spinning platforms, moving hazards, aggressive enemies, etc, and extra urgency from waves of fire or rising quicksand makes the platforming much more aggressive and intense.

But again, it's always going to be a bit more deliberate because it's more puzzle-based and exploratory than a straight-up platformer. :)

BY2K

Membero Americo
So I finished the game about an hour ago after picking it up Friday and... well I'm glad it wasn't 60$.

It's not a bad game, nowhere near, it's absolutely charming, the presentation is amazing. But something in the level design and gameplay is... lacking. I can't put my finger on it. It's a bit short too. And easy.

Again, it's a REALLY good game, it's just missing... something.

I went into this game completely blind except for the fact that the main character would be able to switch heads. I was kinda expecting each head to give different abilities, and not specific actions that must be used at very specific locations. I guess I was expecting something like Alex Kidd or Kirby in term of abilities.

Top Bottom