• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushsquare," judging from our anecdotal observations, there are significantly more people playing (Concord) on PS5"

Astray

It's fun to do the math, though. I think it would probably take a peak player count at least 2 orders of magnitude (697 x 10 x 10 = 69,700) higher on PlayStation for this to be considered a decent opening weekend. I wonder if it got that high? It's certainly possible but like you said we won't know unless Sony releases more info.

I can see this game being played more on PlayStation than Steam, but the $40 cost of entry and PS+ requirement is still asking a lot with Fortnite and Overwatch 2 being F2P and not requiring PS+.
I think a $40 price point isn't a problem by itself. Helldivers 2 was extremely successful with a price tag.

The main issue imo, is that they're asking for it for a hero shooter, where the standard bearers of the genre are all F2P (which also includes Marvel Rivals and Deadlock).

I also think the character designs are just.. not it. Like the best designs are passable at best, and extremely unappealing at worst.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I mean I guess the devs will be playing and probably have to play on PS5 so that would roughly double the PS5 player count.

Stuart360

The problem with this is that even if this was true, even if there were 10x as many playing on PS5 over PC (and i doubt that), we would be talking 3-4k players lol. Even 30-40k players would of been bad for this kind of game, with this budget, on launchday/weekend.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
PUQOIaJ.png
Would you look at that?🧐
Diddy Kong Racing is taking a jewel encrusted, royal shit, squarely on top of Concord, with laser guided precision.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think a $40 price point isn't a problem by itself. Helldivers 2 was extremely successful with a price tag.

The main issue imo, is that they're asking for it for a hero shooter, where the standard bearers of the genre are all F2P (which also includes Marvel Rivals and Deadlock).

I also think the character designs are just.. not it. Like the best designs are passable at best, and extremely unappealing at worst.
That's what I was trying to say. Charging $40 for a hero shooter when other extremely popular hero shooters are free to play was a misstep. Maybe even a bigger misstep on PS5 because they are charging $40 plus it requires PSN to even be able to play it there where other, free to play hero shooters don't require PSN. I find it hard to believe it's more successful on PS5 when it costs more in the long run to play it there, but it's possible.

Astray

That's what I was trying to say. Charging $40 for a hero shooter when other extremely popular hero shooters are free to play was a misstep. Maybe even a bigger misstep on PS5 because they are charging $40 plus it requires PSN to even be able to play it there where other, free to play hero shooters don't require PSN. I find it hard to believe it's more successful on PS5 when it costs more in the long run to play it there, but it's possible.
True.

But is charging $40 for a PvE shooter like Helldivers 2 a mistake? The answer was no because PvE games generally don't do F2P.

Would charging the same amount for Fairgame$ be a mistake? Jury is definitely out because we haven't seen much of that game, but if it's a Payday-like then it might be coming at the right time because of how bad Payday 3 did. Or maybe it gets completely eclipsed by whatever multi-player thing GTA6 comes out with.

GAAS is completely unpredictable to me tbh.

I believe that to be true, but even if it was 100x as many, that's only ~70K people. Pretty piss poor. Oh well, there's always Astrobot right around the corner.

Mownoc

There is a lot more playing on PlayStation you can see this from reviews, only 251 on steam but 7.8k ratings on PSN. But still not going to be anywhere near enough for the game to have a future.

Last edited:

peek

1000% correct. Yall delusional if you think ps5 dont got MORE players playing this than PC users.

Now... thats easy to accomplish if you want more than... 600 players.

But hey, 601 ps5 players is technically more xD

I really doubt this is true. No one on my PSN friends list is playing this crap and many of my casual gaming PSN buddies didn’t even know what it was was when I mentioned the game to them.

It’s worth noting that these numbers only account for Steam, and judging from our anecdotal observations, there are significantly more people playing on PS5. While crossplay can be disabled, we’ve left it on and noticed almost all players have a PlayStation logo next to their username on the score screen. Of course, this is purely circumstantial, and we still don’t know precisely how many are playing on Sony’s system.

'anecdotal observations'? aren't they the kinds of things that sleazy district attorneys employ to get innocent men sentenced to prison for 20 years?...

cormack12

Gold Member
I wonder when it becomes unethical to keep your online only game in the storefront despite players hitting an unsustainable low.

Not saying concord is quite there yet. But it will hit a point.

Rare time when the controller might make more money than the game. It actually looks nice.

Yeah finding it hard not to bite on that but it is probably one of the best, if not the best, controller design this gen

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I actually rather like the design on that controller but, like the game itself, they’re asking far too much for it. If it were the same price as other controllers I’d consider it. But $85 for that when I can get a Volcanic Red one on Amazon for $68 makes that controller a hard pass.

Also, please tell me I’m not the only old fart around here who looks at the touchpad and immediately sees the logo from The Last Starfighter

mSjdUee.jpeg
Yeah, I like the controller design and also got that 80’s Last Starfighter look from it. If it was like $60 I might have gotten it, just for the cool vibes (unlike the game).

In other related news, a gaming publication is creating articles on speculating the success of a game solely from their writers' own anecdotes and wish fulfillment.

Stay tuned for our next story, why ai unfortunately might be better for gaming journalism.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

So 1200 CCU on Ps5. Great 😃

Let the studio make a Killzone or SOCOM, there's clearly talent there but the Higher ups chasing trends might end up badly for everyone involved.

Top Bottom