• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushsquare, "PlayStation Needs to Take a Long, Hard Look at Itself"

nnytk

Neo Member
I’m reminded of how Blizzard once experimented with a third-person, Dark Souls-style Diablo game and, even earlier, developed Starcraft: Ghost, an action-adventure game. Both titles were eventually canceled. In today's industry, these are exactly the types of games we're missing, and it's indie developers who are stepping into this space to make a name for themselves. Why can't Sony or Xbox produce their own equivalents of Risk of Rain 2, Dead Cells, Hades, Cult of the Lamb, Streets of Rage 4, or Dave the Diver? They have so many different intellectual properties to experiment with. Even Nintendo is succeeding with lower-budget titles like Pikmin 4, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Splatoon. To me, these are essentially AA games.

Perhaps it all comes down to the massive imbalance between passion and corporate greed in the gaming industry. Greed has become too dominant in the AAA realm, and the entire system is imploding—a real waste of talent.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'm concerned about Sony's decision-making, too. The increasingly "woke" games, the Bungie debacle, the catastrophic failure of Concord, the lack of first-party SP games to anticipate, the increasing focus on GaaS... I was a fan during the late PS3 and PS4 era, but I've lost a lot of confidence in Sony this gen.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
OIG4.fXyoguamjDa_xbVc3hvZ

aerts1js

Even with this though, Sony couldnt be bothered to offer a VR mode. I know non-headset owners think it's a moot point but Astrobot started as a VR IP. Just another example of Sony burning money on shit like Bungie/Concord while also shutting down studios and ignoring the audience that helped to make Astrobot a must-play series. Astrobot was a minigame, then turned into a full game because the reception was so good. It's poor decision making and doesnt hold water because Rescue Mission is mostly perspective when it comes to VR. The new Astrobot could absolutely work in VR, just like Rescue Mission would work if coverted to flat. Which it should have been because that game is great.
I mean they couldn’t even bother to port their own astrobot game that’s already developed onto their new VR system. Some of their decisions are baffling.

aerts1js

I'll just say that Gravity Rush 1 and 2 are the Mount Olympus of video games.
Every inch of Gravity Rush is a masterpiece... It's the Leornado Da Vinci of video games.
Yeah idk, maybe try playing more games?

But my opinion might totally change once i do get around to the second one.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
Jesus Christ...Playstation has one flop game and all hell breaks loose.

That said, it's clear Herman isn't suited for the role he played for a few years. This and Haven will be Playstation's mistakes. And Bungie.

Basically, almost everything related to live games made Playstation a worse place. Naughty Dog spent 4 years developing and spending money on a game they never released, Bungie was bought and are now crumbling, Haven is making a game no one gives a shit, Firewalk released the biggest flop ever for Sony. Basically the next games are the Horizon live game and what else?

I'm just sad all this happened on the week Astrobot releases. Thank go this was a few days before and tomorrow reviews come out. Let's hope it's a great game cause it seems people have forgotten Sony is also the company that has released Helldivers 2 this year, plus GOTY contender FFVII Rebirth can only be played there...but none of that matters cause Concord flopped.

Bombolone

Gold Member
So many in the West want to turn their backs on their (companies/studios) legacy.
Makes no business sense.
There are ways to innovate, create new things in this space without alienating the people who got you to where you are.

kaizenkko

Dumb argument (in the article) all round. Essentially the prescription offered is top-down micromanagement of all products to avoid failures? That's been tried in the past and it tends not to end well.

Also, the bottom line here was that the move into the lucrative live-service market was an expansion not a transition, its been fuelled by acquiring new talent not repurposing existing teams onto product of that type. The one exception being factions 2 which was an outgrowth of an existing sub-IP. Factions 1 was a thing people liked! So why such a no-no to try and use that as a basis for a live-service offering?
In the last gen Guerrilla Games and Bend Studios developed single-player games, but now the both are developing live service games.

Unknown?

They burned about USD$100m on Concord, burned good will with their players, will likely axe the studio, and funded this trash instead of projects people actually wanted. Eight years of resources for worse-than-nothing. That's not "no harm, no foul". Not at this scale.
That wasn't all under PlayStation though and they burned good will with at most 25k players? Closing a poor studio to make way for better ones and not making the same mistakes is a good outcome to me.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
They burned about USD$100m on Concord, burned good will with their players, will likely axe the studio, and funded this trash instead of projects people actually wanted. Eight years of resources for worse-than-nothing. That's not "no harm, no foul". Not at this scale.
Sony didn't spend 8 years on this game and we have no sources on those 100M. They literally bought the studio last year dude.

Bombolone

Gold Member
I don’t think Sony is doomed but it seems like arrogant Sony is back.
If they had an actual competitor in this space. I guarantee you the strategy of “let’s throw 10 gaas at a wall and see what sticks” wouldn’t even pass a whisper.
If MS was firing on all cylinders. Halo was killing it, game pass was doing numbers, healthy first party, cod machines etc.
PlayStations strategy would look very different.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
By 2021 we already saw game prices rise, Japan Studio closed, anemic launch window with my only games being a remake and a really similar sequel (Demon's Souls, Miles Morales), and nothing promised in the future. That's the year I picked up a Series S after their E3 showing. A lot of people were calling out Jim Ryan early.
Oh please tell me you did not JUST complain about Playstation's game releases from fall 2020 until the end of 2021 (that included new IP Returnal, a Ratchet game, Sackboy, etc) and then decided to say you bought a Series S that had nothing to play but CGi trailers from a conference made you do it, lmao

Marketing working better than game releases for some people huh.

They have abandonned their decades years long audience and thought they could indoctrinate them into their virtue signaling yet intolerant ideology. Hulst must have seen how woke and rubbish Concord was, but it was sure it would be a phenomenal success. Because he is woke too as he lives in a society where most people have being brainwashed into this communist religion since they were born. He must be fired if they want to save Playstation and replaced by someone else, ideally a Japanese.

Astrobot, like Helldivers 2, will just be an accidental success because one man, Shue Yoshida, once agreed to bring Doucet to Japan and make him the leader of a new team dedicated to Doucet's personnal obsession: building a Nintendo like team focused on fun and gameplay.

Without the commitment and will of Doucet of working for Playstation into trying to make fun videogames first, Playstation would have not much left nowadays.

Last edited:

FewRope

I legit dont believe in the "woke conspiracy" many many users here totally believe, but Concord was 100% a product of executives dont wanting to tell the truth about the absolute dog shit of a game because the game was built on "inclusion" or whatever the fuck the studio heads were selling to Sony.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Jesus Christ...Playstation has one flop game and all hell breaks loose.

That said, it's clear Herman isn't suited for the role he played for a few years. This and Haven will be Playstation's mistakes. And Bungie.

Basically, almost everything related to live games made Playstation a worse place. Naughty Dog spent 4 years developing and spending money on a game they never released, Bungie was bought and are now crumbling, Haven is making a game no one gives a shit, Firewalk released the biggest flop ever for Sony. Basically the next games are the Horizon live game and what else?

I'm just sad all this happened on the week Astrobot releases. Thank go this was a few days before and tomorrow reviews come out. Let's hope it's a great game cause it seems people have forgotten Sony is also the company that has released Helldivers 2 this year, plus GOTY contender FFVII Rebirth can only be played there...but none of that matters cause Concord flopped.

Now turn that towards Xbox and its many flops. The media intensifies everything for clicks.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Oh please tell me you did not JUST complain about Playstation's game releases from fall 2020 until the end of 2021 (that included new IP Returnal, a Ratchet game, Sackboy, etc) and then decided to say you bought a Series S that had nothing to play but CGi trailers from a conference made you do it, lmao

Marketing working better than game releases for some people huh.
Do you know we're discussing video games? Its really not that serious. I wasnt into Returnal. $70 for a roguelike is completely insane. I got it later for $50 and still felt ripped off. It has cool elements but not enough that I felt I wanted to stick with it. Ive never liked Sackboy. I've never liked Ratchet.

Main draw for me to try the S was Gamepass. MS was also slow to get 1st party stuff going.

Is this opinion allowed? Are you going to be okay?

Last edited:

ByWatterson

I'm guessing they've already done that.

The shutdown of Concord indicates that they learned their lesson months ago and were always planning to pull the plug if it went ill.

This is an unmitigated disaster, but they appear to be pivoting very, very quickly away from Jim Ryan's GAS initiative.

Bond007

Sony is fine. Gimme a break
Competitors are in a wasteland of nothing unfortunately. If there is any time to delay releases or delete em all together, lmao- its now.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

Not exclusively.
Days Gone is a full singleplayer title. And Guerrilla developed Killzone Sahdow Fall (a game with single player and multiplayer), plus Horizon 1 and 2, being the last two full singleplayer titles.

Now are both developing GAAS titles in a context where games are developing in 5+ years.

I still don't know why Days Gone 2 don't get greenlight, the game sell very well, I doubt a new GAAS IP will perform better.

StueyDuck

Sony obviously are the hotness right now for this topic

But all publishers/developers need to have this discussion, thought process about their product.

Sure concord is the latest fuckup but it wasn't the first and it isn't going to be the last.

Those who can truly pivot will succeed

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
Sony obviously are the hotness right now for this topic

But all publishers/developers need to have this discussion, thought process about their product.

Sure concord is the latest fuckup but it wasn't the first and it isn't going to be the last.

Those who can truly pivot will succeed
You just need to check Ubisoft's stock as we speak. It's about to hit its 10 year lowest.

ZehDon

That wasn't all under PlayStation though and they burned good will with at most 25k players? Closing a poor studio to make way for better ones and not making the same mistakes is a good outcome to me.
Who's jumping into Sony's next GaaS on launch day? They torched a lot of goodwill with this thing - a lot more than 25k players.
"Sony didn't do all of the game, they just bought the studio, so closing it is a good outcome". Did you read that before you hit post?
Sony didn't spend 8 years on this game and we have no sources on those 100M. They literally bought the studio last year dude.
Yeah, I know - Sony purchased them outright, meaning Sony bought all of the time and investment. So, now they own it, it's on them. Sony bought the studio and funded the game - meaning they saw how much shit was wasted over that seven years and purchased it anyway. For me, that's worse than just being bad at your job - that's not knowing the difference between a good game and a bad game. That's Microsoft's problem. If Sony have that problem now, they're in for a world of hurt.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Not all investments need to succeed! Some just fail and props to Sony for acting fast.

I agree with this, however the writing on the wall was clear with this a long time ago. Being in dev for 8 years should've been a clear enough of a signal, on top of the HUGE negative feedback from gamers before it was even close to release.

With Concord bombing and Naughty Dog abandoning the multiplayer The Last of Us project that they spent years working on, I feel that Sony will have no choice but to reconsider the direction they are headed in. Unlike Microsoft, Sony don't have almost unlimited finances to squander away for years. They need to get back to releasing profitable first-party games. Live service games are not the answer as it seems like only 1 in 10, even 1 in 20,l have any chance of being successful. That means at least 9 out of 10 of these are destined for failure will millions lost in development costs, not to mention the inevitable loss of employment that follows soon after went the unhappy shareholders get involved.

I'd like to see Sony focus on smaller scale first party games. The problem is that publishers like Sony are now so in the mindset that triple A games must have triple A production values/visuals that the costs of making the games has massively increased, as has the time needed to make them. That's why there are so few first-party exclusives on PS5 in 2024 compared with the previous generation at the same point. It is also why games themselves are stagnating because publishers want to play it safe and release games they know will sell which stifles creativity. Indie games are where most of the creativity is these days as they can afford to take more risks with much smaller budgets.

I'd like to see Sony take that and somehow bring it to PS5. What makes a console enticing in the first place in having a large and diverse collection of games to play, including first-party exclusives.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
AAA games first guaranteed gt8, Spider-Man 3, god of war 3, there’s big games coming.

kaizenkko

With Concord bombing and Naughty Dog abandoning the multiplayer The Last of Us project that they spent years working on, I feel that Sony will have no choice but to reconsider the direction they are headed in. Unlike Microsoft, Sony don't have almost unlimited finances to squander away for years. They need to get back to releasing profitable first-party games. Live service games are not the answer as it seems like only 1 in 10, even 1 in 20,l have any chance of being successful. That means at least 9 out of 10 of these are destined for failure will millions lost in development costs, not to mention the inevitable loss of employment that follows soon after went the unhappy shareholders get involved.

I'd like to see Sony focus on smaller scale first party games. The problem is that publishers like Sony are now so in the mindset that triple A games must have triple A production values/visuals that the costs of making the games has massively increased, as has the time needed to make them. That's why there are so few first-party exclusives on PS5 in 2024 compared with the previous generation at the same point. It is also why games themselves are stagnating because publishers want to play it safe and release games they know will sell which stifles creativity. Indie games are where most of the creativity is these days as they can afford to take more risks with much smaller budgets.

I'd like to see Sony take that and somehow bring it to PS5. What makes a console enticing in the first place in having a large and diverse collection of games to play, including first-party exclusives.
I think things will get better for now on. Sony already rethought their GAAS strategy: a lot of titles (TLOU Factions, Twisted Metal, London Studio's new IP) get cancel, they made cuts in live service games investiments (Bungie layofs, games being canceled) and their most important studios are focused in single-player titles.

Begleiter

Push Square is an idiot then. A project that started "8 years ago" and a studio that was bought more than a year ago but the person to blame and lose their job is somebody who was in charge for less than 3 months?

Hulst was head of Playstation Studios prior to his current position and had that role from 2019, they'd have been under his remit since the purchase. Add to that the fact they had two betas in July and he was in a position to react to those. I do think it's more Jim Ryan's fault, but when he left it was on his replacements to mitigate the damage he caused.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
More single-player games.
Less gaas stuff.
Hire normal people.
Scale back a bit on scope, put out more games even if they are smaller.

Should be easy, they have the money and the competition isn't doing much better anyway.

KINGMOKU

So I'm a Nintendo+ player. Nintendo system+Another box. I am getting ready to bail on Xbox, which has turned into a dumpster fire, and now it seems some asshat threw a flaming squirrel into Sonys headquarters.

Do I just sit back, wait to see if Switch2 can run Call of Duty?

In the last gen Guerrilla Games and Bend Studios developed single-player games, but now the both are developing live service games.
In the last gen, Guerrilla games made a game that had both SP and MP, in which the MP was significantly better in KZ shadow fall. Similar in the previous gen with KZ2 and 3. Why are we talking about here people? They already released a game this gen in Forbidden West that is SP only.

TidusYuna

Just go back to focusing on great Single Player experiences and invest in more Japanese games/developers, which is lacking from Sony's 1st party portfolio. If they have to have a multiplayer component, include it with the singleplayer game like they did back in the day with Killzone, Socom, and the Last of us Factions. Release DLC for the multiplayer aspect of the game if the game is thriving to keep it going.

I’m reminded of how Blizzard once experimented with a third-person, Dark Souls-style Diablo game and, even earlier, developed Starcraft: Ghost, an action-adventure game. Both titles were eventually canceled. In today's industry, these are exactly the types of games we're missing, and it's indie developers who are stepping into this space to make a name for themselves. Why can't Sony or Xbox produce their own equivalents of Risk of Rain 2, Dead Cells, Hades, Cult of the Lamb, Streets of Rage 4, or Dave the Diver? They have so many different intellectual properties to experiment with. Even Nintendo is succeeding with lower-budget titles like Pikmin 4, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Splatoon. To me, these are essentially AA games.

Perhaps it all comes down to the massive imbalance between passion and corporate greed in the gaming industry. Greed has become too dominant in the AAA realm, and the entire system is imploding—a real waste of talent.
That's what I say. Why does every game have to be some massive tent pole production? Make some small games and see what catches on, and then release bigger sequels if they want. It's all so dumb. We got a taste with Humanity but they should be doing stuff like that with platformers, racers, etc. Anything really. The budgets could be small, it would generate interest and goodwill with players. Hell, Sony could even outright tell players that these games are being made to test out new IPs or reboots. That's what cartoon network did back in the day with Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, etc. Those were one offs for a show that basically tested new cartoons and they capitalized on the cartoons that their audience enjoyed the most. We really could run SIE better than the current leadership at Sony.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'd like to see Sony focus on smaller scale first party games. The problem is that publishers like Sony are now so in the mindset that triple A games must have triple A production values/visuals that the costs of making the games has massively increased, as has the time needed to make them.
Black Myth proves that games can look next gen with insane production values and still ship on time. This is a game made by 130 people in around 4 years. There are plenty of examples of AAA games this gen that have been made on time. Insomniac is one of them. Respawn made jedi survivor in 3.5 years. Avatar and Star Wars outlaws were made in around 4-5 years being developed at the same studio simultaneously. Alan Wake 2 was made in 3.5 years.

That's why there are so few first-party exclusives on PS5 in 2024 compared with the previous generation at the same point.
Partly the reason but not the main reason. Yes, Sony games take forever to make nowadays but thats because they are all 50-100 hours long. no one asked them to make games that long. Ragnorak and HFW are just the definition of bloat. Ragnorak is 50-60 hours to see all content and yet, they phoned in the actual ragnorak event and the final battles with Thor and Odin. It's just poor management and scope. They used to make 10-15 hour games back in the day without any issues. They can still do that with the same production values, they just want bloat.

The main reason is that all of their studios have been mismanaged since Herman took over from Shu. Bend's ex game director said that he wouldve had days gone 2 out by 2023. thats 4 years. ND typically releases games once every 2-3 years, they have gone 4 years without revealing their new game releasing only a remake they took over from another studio. Sucker Punch has always taken its time with games but making a direct sequel shouldnt take this long either.

If you look at what has happened behind the scenes at a lot of these studios, sony's lack of output makes a lot more sense.

- Bend. Sony rejected their days gone 2 pitch 6 months in the making. Then had them waste a year and a half on an uncharted spin off that was cancelled after ND's constant meddling.
- ND. Neil fucked off to make a tv show after making TLOU2 forcing his dev team to meddle with Bend's uncharted spin off and VSG's remake. Bend bailed after VSG heads quit the studio in protest of ND leaving ND with a mess on their hand.
- GG and SSM. Unlike Massive who started developing their games as next gen only games in around 2018-2019, they chose to make cross gen games that were simply not what their fanbase wants from their new $500 consoles. Had they made next gen only games, people would not be so down on sony's output this gen.
- PD. Same thing as GG and SSM. Just another last gen title that didnt give fans what they want. A true next gen showcase from Sony's flagship franchise.
- KojiPro - Andrew House had signed Kojima up for a two game deal and yet for whatever reason, the develpoment for DS2 didnt start until late 2021, early 2022. Who is to blame for that? Why didnt they begin development immediately after shipping DS2 in 2019? It could be due to the lack of investment in SP games. See below.
- sucker punch - 4+ years since shipping their last game. Nothing to show for it? This is a small team of 100 people, clearly needed to hire more people but Sony's lack of investment in SP during rising costs is likely the reason why both Sucker Punch and Bluepoint have gone 4 years without showing a single screen for their new game. they are underfunded. Plain and simple.

i-worry-people-are-misunderstanding-sonys-plan-for-future-v0-i921qt30aacb1.jpg

Top Bottom