• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushsquare, "PlayStation Needs to Take a Long, Hard Look at Itself"

jcorb

A bit hyperbolic. If they learned their lesson from Concord, no harm no foul. If not, they should look at new management.

It's definitely an insane situation, but I do think this is a very important takeaway. It's kind of crazy to pull the plug so quickly, but I also have a tiny amount of respect for not buying into the sunken cost fallacy.

I have to think they're going to do *something* with Concord. The rumored $200m budget is far too great to just *completely* throw away. I've heard others suggest it get reworked into a F2P game, probably go back to the drawing board on the character designs. Or hell, try to frankenstein it into some kind of single-player experience. I don't see a world in which they break even on it, but it's certainly possible they could rework things to try and recoup at least a portion of it.

Gambit2483

Sony's first mistake was de-emphasizing AA games and shutting down it's Japan Studios. Their 2nd mistake was relocating to California, sipping the Western "modern gaming" Kool-aid.

Hopefully the utter failure of Concord will cause them to begin course correction, stop leaning so heavily into DEI and refocus on AA games to help fund and support the bigger AAA projects..but of course that's not going to happen.

Haint

Go back to your roots, focus on SP only games, close gaas studios, buys studios focused on SP games. Release at least 3-4 AAA sp gamnes per year.

They absolutely need some MP games, just not hero shooters, trend chasers, or PVP only games. Concord's release actually should have been a Destiny 3, or an actually good and not pay 2 win Warframe/First Desendant style game, or a new AAA PSO or non-isometric Diablo, or some entrely new, accessible, and innovative MMO-lite. The thing all these games have in common is they are chiefly PVE and can also be played solo.

The PVP competitive scene is a very very specific market of sweaty try hards that plays ONLY that style of game exclusively and is extremely finnicky and unpredictable on what they choose to like and support, literally trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Trend chasing that market is a suicide mission, which Sony just learned a $200 million dollar lesson on.

Last edited:

FewRope

They absolutely need some MP games, just not hero shooters, trend chasers, or PVP only games. Concord's release actually should have been a Destiny 3, or an actually good and not pay 2 win Warframe/First Desendant style game, or a new AAA PSO or non-isometric Diablo, or some entrely new, accessible, and innovative MMO-lite. The thing all these games have in common is they are chiefly PVE and can also be played solo.

The PVP competitive scene is a very very specific market of sweaty try hards that plays ONLY that style of game exclusively and is extremely finnicky and unpredictable on what they choose to like and support, literally trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Trend chasing that market is a suicide mission, which Sony just learned a $200 million dollar lesson on.
Imagine a new MAG or Warhawk instead of chasing the hero shooter genre, Hulst is actually retarded for this job

squallheart

Sony's first mistake was de-emphasizing AA games and shutting down it's Japan Studios. Their 2nd mistake was relocating to California, sipping the Western "modern gaming" Kool-aid.

Hopefully the utter failure of Concord will cause them to begin course correction, stop leaning so heavily into DEI and refocus on AA games to help fund and support the bigger AAA projects..but of course that's not going to happen.
This I feel everything went down when they relocated to california. During the state of play the only game I found interesting was astro so my only gaming right now is older titles I just finished re4 remake lol.

Angelcurio

Hulst was head of Playstation Studios prior to his current position and had that role from 2019, they'd have been under his remit since the purchase. Add to that the fact they had two betas in July and he was in a position to react to those. I do think it's more Jim Ryan's fault, but when he left it was on his replacements to mitigate the damage he caused.
Exactly, Hulst became head of WWS in 2019. If anything, he must have given his blessing to Ryan to actually proceed with the acquisition. I doubt any head of SIE would buy a studio that the head of WWS would not consider of actual value to the company, be it for its development quality or for the games or ip under their production.

Because they are too big for those game. Because SIE needs to invest billions in gaming, they can't be investing in games that cost $5-$10 million to make because then they'd have to invest in hundreds of projects to spend the billions they have allocated for gaming. First of all there aren't hundreds of good projects available, and their CEO isn't going to be able to sift through the thousands of proposals to pick those hundreds. No, what they will do is do several games that each cost over $100 million.
That makes sense but all I see in recent Sony history is studio closures, layoffs, and nearly 4 billion being wasted on Bungie and Firewalk.

Having some smaller games from junior teams would be negligible when it comes to budget and could potentially pay off in spades. It's not like they can't develop small games while also doing big games. Humanity is the recent example, they just need to lean into it more. Lego Horizon might fit that too, though I wouldn't be surprised if the budget was astronomical. Same with Astrobot, Team Asobi is small.

It is what it is though, Sony seems content with embarrassing themselves and wasting money. Nothing I can do about it.

Imagine a new MAG or Warhawk instead of chasing the hero shooter genre, Hulst is actually retarded for this job
I'm of the mindset that Herman has always been overrated, as has Guerilla. Technical wizards, absolutely. Horrible story tellers though and gameplay has always been mid AFAIC. They got by on production value.

Killzone never reached its potential and the story was a dud when it had no right to be. Horizon sells boatloads but my God, style over substance all day. Herman can't leave soon enough IMO.

Shameless self-compliments incoming.

I got my PS5 in 2020. Been calling this since 2021, and have been called a fanboy ever since. In reality, I was just able to see it and admit it much, much faster.

By 2021 we already saw game prices rise, Japan Studio closed, anemic launch window with my only games being a remake and a really similar sequel (Demon's Souls, Miles Morales), and nothing promised in the future. That's the year I picked up a Series S after their E3 showing. A lot of people were calling out Jim Ryan early.

Couldn't have said it better. I didn't go as far as you to pick up an Xbox (LOL).

Things at Playstation have been extremely worrying ever since Layden & crew got pushed out. I bought my PS5 as a "best way to play PS4 games, plus will get plenty of third party and PS5 exclusives eventually" machine and for that purpose it hasn't disappointed. But Sony's first party offerings and general decision making has been horrible and it's been no secret. Things are just coming to a head with all the buildup and now a very scarce 2024 without anything on the immediate horizon (aside from glorious Astro Bot, bless Team Asobi) has the normies suddenly aware and very upset.

Gojiira

Blah blah blah… Meanwhile Stellar Blade, Helldivers 2, FF7, FF16, Black Myth, Silent Hill 2, Astrobot…Yeah one flop in Concord is hardly a sign of anything, EVERY publisher fucks up occasionally…Look at how many flops Xbox has had yet they are still ticking

MacReady13

100% truth right here. Leaving Japan and going to California was there 1 and ONLY mistake and it has cost them big time.

Blah blah blah… Meanwhile Stellar Blade, Helldivers 2, FF7, FF16, Black Myth, Silent Hill 2, Astrobot…Yeah one flop in Concord is hardly a sign of anything, EVERY publisher fucks up occasionally…Look at how many flops Xbox has had yet they are still ticking
Sony doesn't have Microsoft cash. Growth is the expectation. Investors want 5.5 Billion this year. Year on year profit.

This is an owned, internal studio. Concord cost them to the tune of 250 Million. Very public. Investors watching. They'll have to recoup that somewhere.

When Square Enix lost 100 million on "The Sprits Within" movie, they immediately removed the entire power structure over the damage including the original creator of Final Fantasy.

Be grateful you're living through a money marker that will be studied.

Gojiira

Sony doesn't have Microsoft cash. Growth is the expectation. Investors want 5.5 Billion this year. Year on year profit.

This is an owned, internal studio. Concord cost them to the tune of 250 Million. Very public. Investors watching. They'll have to recoup that somewhere.

When Square Enix lost 100 million on "The Sprits Within" movie, they immediately removed the entire power structure over the damage including the original creator of Final Fantasy.

Be grateful you're living through a money marker that will be studied.
Be grateful? Lol…I understand its not small change they just lost but this doom and gloom is beyond stupid at this point.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's definitely an insane situation, but I do think this is a very important takeaway. It's kind of crazy to pull the plug so quickly, but I also have a tiny amount of respect for not buying into the sunken cost fallacy.

I have to think they're going to do *something* with Concord. The rumored $200m budget is far too great to just *completely* throw away. I've heard others suggest it get reworked into a F2P game, probably go back to the drawing board on the character designs. Or hell, try to frankenstein it into some kind of single-player experience. I don't see a world in which they break even on it, but it's certainly possible they could rework things to try and recoup at least a portion of it.
It's strange how you mention the sunken cost fallacy in terms of shutting the game down... then reference the sunken costs when you say they have to do something, which is the exact definition of the sunken cost fallacy.

Concord is done, it's over. If Sony spends another dime on this, it's a huge mistake. Literally nobody wants this game, the characters, the story, the universe. They didn't play it when it was free in the beta, why would they play it when it is F2P after bombing in the market? Why would anyone play a single player version of this, when it is clear the story and characters was a major reason why they didn't play it?

Last edited:

nial

Overly emotional, not rational, cursing at me, and now I'm a liar. Just putting you on ignore again. I genuinely don't like having to deal with people freaking out about console wars. Go attack other people if you want, but I'm not reading your stuff anymore.
?????????? This isn't your first time on the internet, so yes it's hard to believe what you're saying, because there's no way such a safe "extreme" expression could have truly offended you.
I used a 'the fuck', A 'THE FUCK'. I'm not even calling you retarded or something.

Look at how much money was had before the DEI initiatives, now look at after. Who cares if twitter complains and cater to the people who are actually buying the games.

King Dazzar

Scared Dog GIF by MOODMAN

Some senior heads need to roll for the massive failure that is Concord & Naughty Dog wasting years of dev time on a failed multiplayer project.

We are how many years into the gen and so far we've had some nice games from Insomniac but what in gods green earth is happening with Bend, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch etc.

jcorb

It's strange how you mention the sunken cost fallacy in terms of shutting the game down... then reference the sunken costs when you say they have to do something, which is the exact definition of the sunken cost fallacy.

Concord is done, it's over. If Sony spends another dime on this, it's a huge mistake. Literally nobody wants this game, the characters, the story, the universe. They didn't play it when it was free in the beta, why would they play it when it is F2P after bombing in the market? Why would anyone play a single player version of this, when it is clear the story and characters was a major reason why they didn't play it?

Fair. I suppose my thinking is, credit for them for not just "sticking to their guns" in hopes that time would be the great equalizer, but I also think there are ways to leverage content already made.

WildStar is an MMO that failed, but I've often wondered if it would have found success if reworked into a single-player RPG. It had a lot of great things going for it, it just didn't find the audience it needed as an MMO.

Top Bottom