• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT2| Don't Ask, Just Reroll

bodine1231

What should I do with all this red xp? I could dump it all in Horus but my Horus team has a ways to go and dumping it into my Valk light team seems like a waste. I was thinking of building up my red team because I don't have anything capable of consistantly running Weekend Master,all my teams are dark,valk,and Horus. I never realized how expensive +egging can be,spent almost a million this weekend upgrading my Valk alone.

Okay, so here's my minimal-stone Twinlit team:

Izanagi
Echidna
Echidna
D/D Hades
Queen Hera
Zeus Olympios

Orb trolling kicks this team in the face, but assuming the stars align, you can get through "easily."

yami4ct

Man, had a heck of a day running the 2x Flame Mechdragon dungeon. RNG hated me in terms of getting Naga. I had to blow through all 8 of my stones for stamina refills, but at the very last run before the dungeon expired, I got her. So excited. Over the course, I also got 2 Flame Mechadragons, so now I have an awakened one of those, so I guess it ended up being worth it. If I ever build a mono-red team, that could be fun.

Tobe

Man, had a heck of a day running the 2x Flame Mechdragon dungeon. RNG hated me in terms of getting Naga. I had to blow through all 8 of my stones for stamina refills, but at the very last run before the dungeon expired, I got her. So excited. Over the course, I also got 2 Flame Mechadragons, so now I have an awakened one of those, so I guess it ended up being worth it. If I ever build a mono-red team, that could be fun.

that was a waste of stones :/ but well i cant say much about that lol.

razterik

Went 9/10 in Twinlits when I wasn't failing to farm Michael skill ups or flame chasers. The single loss came before adding in Odin. Really like this setup and I managed to recover from some terrible boards. Now if I could just swap my 7 Devilits for some more Angelits.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What should I do with all this red xp? I could dump it all in Horus but my Horus team has a ways to go and dumping it into my Valk light team seems like a waste. I was thinking of building up my red team because I don't have anything capable of consistantly running Weekend Master,all my teams are dark,valk,and Horus. I never realized how expensive +egging can be,spent almost a million this weekend upgrading my Valk alone.

I would get Echidna to 70-75 first. After that, it depends. Since you're looking to start a mono-red, I'd say get a busty Ares to around 70, busty Gigas to 50, evo your knight and take him to 50, and then reevaluate your available XP.

Do you have a full set of king slimes? If not, use a red king to get your red king slime as they are important to have. Each king slime can prove incredibly useful.

J0dy77

Max Horus and Echidna.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Chu makes Ice Legend a JOKE. My team is severely under leveled, too. XP is OK, not great...I'll run this for the Chaser and be done. There's no way anyone is max skilling a Chinese god with these garbage appearance rates.

E: Also, I was looking to try and see if I should try and gather a few Dios...But I hate this dungeon way too much. I'm not even going to bother. Outside of that garbage that is Twinlit RNG fest, I'm convinced Dios is still the hardest Descended.

Chu makes Ice Legend a JOKE. My team is severely under leveled, too. XP is OK, not great...I'll run this for the Chaser and be done. There's no way anyone is max skilling a Chinese god with these garbage appearance rates.

E: Also, I was looking to try and see if I should try and gather a few Dios...But I hate this dungeon way too much. I'm not even going to bother. Outside of that garbage that is Twinlit RNG fest, I'm convinced Dios is still the hardest Descended.

What's your chu team?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What's your chu team?

Chu/Chu + GrOdin/ADK Zeal/Dios/Susano

E: Dios is only for the HP. If you don't have one, he can be replaced. Mine is only 58, but the HP buffer he provides is pretty great. You can also sub another Chu for a fourth orb changer if you have him.

Other options would be Woodsie, Fortoytops, and Sylph. If you're worried about charging or anything, throw Echidna in there because she's great at everything. I may try Freyja/Artemis at some point. Chu is amazing, but one slip and you're dead, haha. 18x damage makes it kind of hard to screw up, but anything's possible.

• You need >15120 HP to survive a single hit from Aldebaran
  • If you don't have enough fire power to one-shot the Chimera, make sure you have >14370 HP to take one hit and then spend two turns wrecking it.
  • If you have Susano ready, pop him in Round 9 if the Carbuncles are synced AND you don't have the power to knock them out. Otherwise, they go down easy.

Just tried Master with Chu/Chu + Dios/Vamp/Zeal/Busty CDK and it was easy. I'll try some of your subs and see. Need to evo Susano tomorrow with Keepers and he should be good

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
10% base chance for double strike though, it's a bit of a gamble.

Yes, it killed me.

Double strike ONLY happens if you pull the Chimera below 75%, so that's what I was getting at. Let him hit you once and you get two turns to kill him.

I lied, 10% base chance. Woops. That's a bummer.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not long been back to the game and feeling a bit lost lol.

Any tips on what teams I should build and what monsters I should concentrate on levelling first.

Here's my main monsters.
www.puzzledragonx.com/en/profile.asp?u=27202

• Valk, Echidna, Angelion, Siren, King Shynee (get one) = great healer team. Alraune also works instead of Siren. Bastet if you ever pull one. Busty Amaterasu is a strong choice since she got Healer subbed AND her stats are not terrible. A second Valk (since you have one) makes the team quite powerful, too. ALSO gives you light heavy.
  • Parv is incredible - probably one of the best heart makers in the game because of her stats.
  • Susano busty is strong and versatile.
  • Archangel Michael is a great tanky Green lead. Paired with Artemis or Freyja, you can make a nice green team with Parv, Susano, busty Angelion, and something like Fortoytops or ADK.
  • Izanagi can make a ridiculously strong team once you have the team cost for it. You simply can't field an Izanagi team yet. Once you've got the ranks, he'll be a great lead to play around with.

Probably not the answer you're looking for! But if I had to give you any direction personally, work on your healer team. You can use a strong healer team to farm content for XP fodder. I'd work on these two teams:

Valk/Valk + Echidna/Amaterasu/Shynee/Valk
Valk/Valk + Echidna/Shynee/Valk/Angelion

From there, you can farm mats for everything else with ease.

Jinko

• Valk, Echidna, Angelion, Siren, King Shynee (get one) = great healer team. Alraune also works instead of Siren. Bastet if you ever pull one. Busty Amaterasu is a strong choice since she got Healer subbed AND her stats are not terrible. A second Valk (since you have one) makes the team quite powerful, too. ALSO gives you light heavy.
  • Parv is incredible - probably one of the best heart makers in the game because of her stats.
  • Susano busty is strong and versatile.
  • Archangel Michael is a great tanky Green lead. Paired with Artemis or Freyja, you can make a nice green team with Parv, Susano, busty Angelion, and something like Fortoytops or ADK.
  • Izanagi can make a ridiculously strong team once you have the team cost for it. You simply can't field an Izanagi team yet. Once you've got the ranks, he'll be a great lead to play around with.

Probably not the answer you're looking for! But if I had to give you any direction personally, work on your healer team. You can use a strong healer team to farm content for XP fodder. I'd work on these two teams:

Valk/Valk + Echidna/Amaterasu/Shynee/Valk
Valk/Valk + Echidna/Shynee/Valk/Angelion

From there, you can farm mats for everything else with ease.

Thanks I got a second Valk so will do that :D

ccbfan

I finally can make a +297 characters.

Well I have 3 +99 holders, one for each type.

No really sure where to put these.

I use mainly 3 teams.

Valk team for grinding brainless dungeons.
Haku for light and mid difficulty dungeons.
Kirin for hardest dungeons.

RCV and HP I have 4 candidates. Enchilada, Kirin, Valk, Haku.

I'm thinking Enchilada here since every team where I use Kirin, Haku and Valk it has the Enchilada in it. Plus the fact that these are team based stats, it doesn't matter if I put them on low stat characters.The only thing with Kirin, Haku and Valk is that I would get more pal points if I use my eggs on them.

ATK is the tough one, I have 5 candidates. Enchilada, Kirin, Valk, Haku, Hera IS.

No clue here. Enchilada is the only monster that I use on all my main teams but since ATK is character based its a much better idea to put +atk on high attack characters and Enchilada has low atk. Hera-IS and Valk I have on 2 of my main teams plus Hera-IS is also on my main defense teams (4/1/4 Gab team and 2/2/4 Vamp/Luci team). Hera-IS isn't a leader though so no extra pal points.

Any suggestions?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I use mainly 3 teams.

It's all between Valk, Echidna, and Kirin. Valk and Echidna get used on a LOT of teams, so there's that...Kirin is in the tier of best descended leaders, though.

You seriously can't go wrong with either of those 3 for your first +297.

E: Hera-Is is a beast, but I'd wait to +egg her. I use her on like, every team I need gravity, AND she's my highest skilled gravity. But that said, Echidna/Valk/Kirin are your top choices. Note that +297 Kirin and Valk will get a lot of PAL points.

I use mainly 3 teams.

RCV and HP I have 4 candidates. Enchilada, Kirin, Valk, Haku.

I'm thinking Enchilada here since every team where I use Kirin, Haku and Valk it has the Enchilada in it. Plus the fact that these are team based stats, it doesn't matter if I put them on low stat characters.The only thing with Kirin, Haku and Valk is that I would get more pal points if I use my eggs on them.

ATK is the tough one, I have 5 candidates. Enchilada, Kirin, Valk, Haku, Hera IS.

No clue here. Enchilada is the only monster that I use on all my main teams but since ATK is character based its a much better idea to put +atk on high attack characters and Enchilada has low atk. Hera-IS and Valk I have on 2 of my main teams plus Hera-IS is also on my main defense teams (4/1/4 Gab team and 2/2/4 Vamp/Luci team). Hera-IS isn't a leader though so no extra pal points.

Any suggestions?

Echidna. You basically add +297 to every team

Kreed

Hera-ur is overkill. You don't need that much damage. Think of the 2x light bonus as her.

The reason you may want an orb changer or delay is to survive the chimeras. That's 1.6million hp to get rid-of in most cases 1 turn.
Venus is there only for 'change the world' i want to make sure Zeus dies on the first turn. You could sub in anyone else you want

With Sonia's ability(and king baddie) you're looking at about ~4.5million worth of damage minimum

Yeah I'm thinking Delay would be smart there. Would you say this team is more or less easy to use/consistent vs Goemon+Satan or Kirin?

Their biggest mistake was Lucifer.

Horus while the highest spike didn't have enough damage to wipe out a majority of the tougher descends. Ra while powerful still took skill and can be trolled.

When Lucifer came out it was a a skill less insta win button.

To counter Lucifer it lead to the power creep and the death of any team that's not spike teams since the only way to counter Luci is to take out all defense/stall teams.

Now every descend is kill or be killed.

I would have just nerfed Lucifer if I was in their position. Sure it would have pissed off the community but at least it would have kept the game in check and not screwed over all their previous teams. Still I wonder if Gungho even bothers to test out their own game. Cause there's no scenario where they shouldn't have known Lucifer was going to be overkill with an attack that huge.

But I do like the "match/combo" monsters they've introduced, but I hope they find some other ways to use matching besides attack multipliers (example, temporarily increasing defense after matching certain orb colors)

Not long been back to the game and feeling a bit lost lol.

Any tips on what teams I should build and what monsters I should concentrate on levelling first.

Here's my main monsters.
www.puzzledragonx.com/en/profile.asp?u=27202

Also add me if I have anything of use to you. 380,534,297

Your best monster right now is easily Izanagi, but you don't have many god types to take advantage of his leader skill so you will have to wait until you've increased your monster box a bit before he will be of use.

Next you have 2 Valkyries and most of the healer girls excluding Lilith as well as Amaterasu, so I would start making a Healer team with Valkyrie as the lead (work on getting her to her Ultimate form so you can have x3 attack instead of x2.5). Work on getting a King Shynee and make friends with Bastet and Valkyrie users.

You can also make the 5 main colored mono teams with these leaders:

Tyrannos
Brachys or Archangel Michael
Plesios
Pterados
Vampire (Dark/Water Ultimate)

You already have the orb changers/shield/heart makers for these teams and there are times where these teams are easier to run than a Valkyrie Healer team, so you may want to invest some time in them. Particularly Vampire since he pairs well with Lucifer.

But I do like the "match/combo" monsters they've introduced, but I hope they find some other ways to use matching besides attack multipliers (example, temporarily increasing defense after matching certain orb colors)

Yeah I agree. I hope they come up with something for a little variation of the leader skills.

so nuke, PEKKA life steal then Morning Star would activate again since it's the same turn? That's pretty badass.

It's basically the same as if you had a Ceres or another 'heal' active skill. PEKKA is just farmable so most people can pick one up.

Kreed

So apparently there's a super Mechdragon coming that is made by combining the 5 other Mechdragons. Of course I find this out after the Flame Mechdragon dungeon is over and I've already fed all my duplicates. -_-

so nuke, PEKKA life steal then Morning Star would activate again since it's the same turn? That's pretty badass.

Not the same Lucifer, two different ones. The PEKKA strategy is for when you have two Lucifer/Satan leaders on your team and want to use both on the same turn. Since Lucifer's move drops your HP to 1, you can't normally use a second Lucifer in the same turn because you have to have more than 1 HP. So by using a monster to heal you/get your HP back like PEKKA, you can then use the second Lucifer/Satan's move.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So apparently there's a super Mechdragon coming that is made by combining the 5 other Mechdragons. Of course I find this out after the Flame Mechdragon dungeon is over and I've already fed all my duplicates. -_-

Not the same Lucifer, two different ones. The PEKKA strategy is for when you have two Lucifer/Satan leaders on your team and want to use both on the same turn. Since Lucifer's move drops your HP to 1, you can't normally use a second Lucifer in the same turn because you have to have more than 1 HP. So by using a monster to heal you/get your HP back like PEKKA, you can then use the second Lucifer/Satan's move.

I don't think he was suggesting you'd get to use the same Luci more than once. ;)

It's basically the same as if you had a Ceres or another 'heal' active skill. PEKKA is just farmable so most people can pick one up.

Basically this.

Jinko

Sounds like something from Dragon Ball Oo.

planeteers-youth.jpg

I fed all mine as well. We'll probably never see the mechdragons ever again either.

BlueSteel

Welllp laaaame.

Given that I don't ever use my mechdragons though, maybe I'll just use them and wait until we get duplicates... whenever that is.

linsivvi

They will eventually introduce the mechdragon rush as a way to "retire" the old biweekly dragon dungeons since they keep adding new ones.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So this is going to sound pretty pathetic, but I couldn't sleep last night due to me thinking about how to evolve PAD beyond what it's become. I think I probably tossed and turned for almost an hour. I couldn't shut my brain off, haha.

A few things I think worth mentioning that GungHo should consider...

First, the situation surrounding Luci. I agree that he's broken the game a bit. When you consider the power of the combo leads, Luci is a drop in the bucket...Keep in mind, Egyptian gods came out BEFORE Archangels, so GungHo knew something was up. I think Horus and Ra were great examples of puzzling skill gods. Still crazy powerful, but required you to know what you were doing.

Luci, however, was the strongest insta-smash available. You didn't need any skill to use him. "Gravity nuke heal nuke" was enough to clear a LOT of content. It took the challenge out of some of the content. Obviously not ALL content was possible with this combo, but it was definitely a game changer. Hell, most strats that people were putting out were either Ra/Ra or Luci/Luci once Archangels dropped. The most exciting strat I remember seeing then was the Asty/Asty Dios kill by TGP, but that team was STACKED.

I don't think nerfing Luci is the solution. I don't even think it would help. I don't think his nuke is so powerful that you can win everything with it, but I think it DOES trivialize some content. I also don't think nerfing combo gods is the solution. They are the purest form of puzzling skills, so good on them. Keep in mind, nerfing ANY god that gets used a lot will cause a lot of players to quit. I can't imagine if I had a +297 Kirin/Luci/Ra and GungHo swung the nerf bat. I would actually quit PAD, mostly because my money would be for nothing.

The introduction of poison and jammers was cool. It added a new element to dungeons while also adding a new farming requirement (tamas). The core mechanic of PAD is solid (and fun), but it also means that there aren't a ton of mechanics they can add that wouldn't change the game entirely. What REALLY is there to add that would make puzzling more exciting? Sure, new actives, leader skills, and more ways to screw us would be something, but at some point, it comes back to "I'll just run Kirin/Kirin and sweep this place". Pre-emptives screwed over HP and delay teams, so I guess they could add something to screw combo teams?

One thing I was thinking about was how they could take form that PAD clone that had the cool active that added like 4 rows to work with for a mega combo? Tower of Saviors maybe? That was pretty neat. Or an active that reduced the CD of all of your monsters? Kind of like an awakening, but ideal for monsters with high CD that you haven't or can't skill.

Since I really don't know how they can change the core mechanics of the game to increase the allure, I think they COULD do a few things to make the game a bit more diverse and more enticing to newer players AND veterans who aren't like full time WoW raiders...

Which wait - I need to comment on that. Some of us are pretty hardcore PAD players, but not many of us are like some of the FB guys who have max skilled everything, +297, clear descended dungeons with their eyes closed type players. Those are like the end-game raiding guilds in WoW who play 7 days a week, 8 hours a day. GungHo can't design content for them. It's not fair to the rest of us. While they HAVE spent good money on the game, it's simply not feasible for the rest of the population to enjoy that. So hopefully GungHo realizes that the next big thing shouldn't be a boss with 100m HP that hits for 100k, blocks all status, pre-emptive for 50k, etc etc etc. Obviously an exaggeration, but there's some nutty stuff out there - us normal end-game players (who can regularly clear legendary descendeds and have to work at those Mythical clears) won't enjoy consent Twinlit style dungeons (that feel like they're designed to frustrate us).

So anyways, a few things I think GungHo could (but likely won't) do to help facilitate growth of the game:

• Make monsters worth more XP. This would encourage unique teams with lesser used monsters. I have SO many monsters that I just haven't touched because nobody has found a good use for them. If I could level monsters in some way other than Pengdras, Kings, and Supers, I'd have a lot more interesting teams to play with. As it stands, I simply level 5-10 monsters because they are the ones everyone already uses and have proven effective.
  • Make tamas more readily available. I counted yesterday, and I have had a total of 23 tama in my possession. That counts any I've used and saved up. Right now, it's SO rare to see them, let alone get them to drop, that most normal IAP or non-IAP players can't field teams that take complete advantage of the system. If you're a super heavy or whale level IAPer, you've probably amassed a stupid number and have awoken all but the most worthless monsters (or hell, maybe even those). tl;dr - give us a chance to awaken more monsters and play with the impact of these to again further our team building options.
  • Improve the skill-up rates slightly. With how important it is to have a max skilled Echidna, orb changer, healer, etc., give us a way to get this without pulling our hair out. Anyone who has max skilled an Echidna or a gravity can agree that it's painful. VERY painful. I still haven't maxed a gravity, and I can tell you that whenever I say I'm going to do it...I start, get 0/5 or 0/10 and say fuck it. I won't even give them my money for stones to farm it when it's that horrendous.
  • Introduce something else to do with gold. I had a weird idea of adding some sort of consumables that can be bought with gold only. Maybe an item that extends your orb timer by 2s for one turn, clears all poison/jammers, changes orbs, etc. Like active skills, but different in that it gives us a way to add new strategies to our teams, gives GungHo the chance to play with dungeon mechanics, but also makes them completely farmable and fair. I would never spend stones on things like this, but if I could use gold to get something like this, I think it would be neat. It would really be like adding another monster to your roster, but well, not. Limit them to 1 max in your inventory at a time so that you have to choose when to use them or whatever...I don't know, it was an idea I had that I felt had SOME merit.
  • Here's the big one - call me crazy...
  • Lower the cost of stones/change the REM cost. While I know I've spent a pretty penny on this game (easily $200+ since it came out), I've slowed down considerably. I think that newer players are put off by the high cost of stones and rolling, so they don't. By reducing the costs slightly, I really think more folks would give it a shot. As of now, it's a pretty rough gamble even for those of us who DO spend money. There's a balance in F2P in terms of cost and revenue. In the iOS market, a $0.99 game will sell a ton of copies because we're cheap. If that same game is $1.99, a LOT of people will pass it by. Hell, read the iOS thread or TA forums - there are SO many comments in new games that say, "Looks great, can't wait for it to go on sale!" Fuck that. But hell, that's the mentality we have. So in that case, reduce the cost to get MORE out of PAD, and I do think you'd see more folks buying in.

I know that's a long post, but for anyone that reads it, thanks. PAD is definitely one of my favorite games of all time, but it's not without it's flaws. The deeper you get into the game, the more and more obvious it becomes that it DOES need a bit of tweaking to make the next jump. With what someone said earlier about JP slowing down, that to me means GungHo needs to step it up. JP is definitely the bigger market for this vs US, so hopefully they're thinking of the next big change to increase the allure of PAD to new players and veterans alike. I am definitely excited to see where they take it.

Kreed

I don't think nerfing Luci is the solution. I don't even think it would help. I don't think his nuke is so powerful that you can win everything with it, but I think it DOES trivialize some content. I also don't think nerfing combo gods is the solution. They are the purest form of puzzling skills, so good on them. Keep in mind, nerfing ANY god that gets used a lot will cause a lot of players to quit. I can't imagine if I had a +297 Kirin/Luci/Ra and GungHo swung the nerf bat. I would actually quit PAD, mostly because my money would be for nothing.

I don't think they should nerf Lucifer at this stage of the game because at this point there's plenty of content available that he isn't able to clear. I was suggesting they should have nerfed him BEFORE introducing so much new content with the purpose of making him less useful. There is a major difference between the previous last dungeon King of the Gods and the dungeons that have been introduced after Lucifer was created.

Jinko

For XP fodder they should let you evo metal dragons with 3-4 of the same type and a unique evo material.

Agree that adding a in game gold shop would be a good idea, if you look at Brave Frontier and what they do with the crafting system, potions,equips etc, could make the game more interesting and a lot more customisable.

Adding more and more powerful monsters is nice enough until you start breaking your game. (many games have done this over the years)

muu

Max skilled a fire mechdragon. Never saw a single Flame Chaser. WTF?

[*]Introduce something else to do with gold. I had a weird idea of adding some sort of consumables that can be bought with gold only. Maybe an item that extends your orb timer by 2s for one turn, clears all poison/jammers, changes orbs, etc. Like active skills, but different in that it gives us a way to add new strategies to our teams, gives GungHo the chance to play with dungeon mechanics, but also makes them completely farmable and fair. I would never spend stones on things like this, but if I could use gold to get something like this, I think it would be neat. It would really be like adding another monster to your roster, but well, not. Limit them to 1 max in your inventory at a time so that you have to choose when to use them or whatever...I don't know, it was an idea I had that I felt had SOME merit.

This could radically decrease the difficulty of existing dungeons depending on the implementation... which may not necessarily be a bad thing. Some of the newer dungeons are absolutely ridiculous, it's like they expect you to throw stones at them. Considering that many people scoff at throwing stones towards what aren't necessary absolute must-have monsters, it would encourage more play than anything.

Soooo I just started playing this and wow there is so much info to absorb. I'm honestly overwhelmed.

Excited about the 3DS game coming to the west too though

They did start nerfing combo teams recently with debuffs that reduce the time you are allowed to make a match. It's kind of evil.

As for upping skillup rates, PSO2 has a mechanic where key items became a guaranteed drop after X number of failures. So maybe PAD could give you a guaranteed skillup after failing 15 times or something.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Max skilled a fire mechdragon. Never saw a single Flame Chaser. WTF?

This could radically decrease the difficulty of existing dungeons depending on the implementation... which may not necessarily be a bad thing. Some of the newer dungeons are absolutely ridiculous, it's like they expect you to throw stones at them. Considering that many people scoff at throwing stones towards what aren't necessary absolute must-have monsters, it would encourage more play than anything.

Yeah, if they ever did anything like this, they'd have to be very...Careful about it. It was more me thinking out loud. The game is incredibly repetitive at end-game: farm pengdras, farm dragons, farm plants, feed, rinse, repeat. XP increase and new gold use would give us something new I guess, ha.

Ducarmel

How about evo material that changes monsters subtype if they have one. Since that could break the game a compromise could be leader skill and Active skill effects to subtypes are only half effective if its not the originals monster subtype..

Example if you want a healer team with gravity Hera devil subtype can be changed to healer, and the only compromise is the subtype is only half effective.

Jinko

Yeah, if they ever did anything like this, they'd have to be very...Careful about it. It was more me thinking out loud. The game is incredibly repetitive at end-game: farm pengdras, farm dragons, farm plants, feed, rinse, repeat. XP increase and new gold use would give us something new I guess, ha.

This wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to wait around all week just to restock your plants, those plant dungeons should be 24/7 IMO.

Oh yeah, in many PAD clones they have a "beginner's gacha" that you can only roll if you are below rank 5 or started playing in the past three days (depending on the game). If they guaranteed the tutorial roll was a gold egg that would help new player retention a lot. Lots of people burn out trying to reroll or go "fuck Fire Forest Nerva is too difficult this game sucks".

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh yeah, in many PAD clones they have a "beginner's gacha" that you can only roll if you are below rank 5 or started playing in the past three days (depending on the game). If they guaranteed the tutorial roll was a gold egg that would help new player retention a lot. Lots of people burn out trying to reroll or go "fuck Fire Forest Nerva is too difficult this game sucks".

A good starter keeps people around, that's for damn sure.

Damaniel

Banned

The spike in difficulty is pretty offputting, to be honest. I'm in Fire Forest Nerva myself right now, and the only reason that I'm not getting completely wiped is because I drew Lucifer from the REM during the last Godfest, and as long as the final boss is either one creature (or if I can get rid of the others quickly enough), then Lucifer can wrap the whole thing up in one turn. (I actually have a few decent lv 30 dark creatures that would serve as the base for a reasonable mono dark team, but I need about 30 more team points to use them all..)

My girlfriend started playing PAD a couple days ago because she saw me playing it, and her REM pull wasn't nearly as useful (Michael, which she couldn't even use right away due to team cost). She was starting to hit a wall even before the third tier of dungeons, though once she started to realize the utility of moving a single piece around the board strategically to match multiple/larger combos in fewer turns, things got a little better. I still think she's going to hit the wall pretty soon regardless of skill, just because the difficulty starts to spike so much. In fact, I assume that one of the main reasons that PAD hasn't taken off here like it has in Japan is due to the difficulty curve, and the expectation that most people are going to need to turn to the REM (and possibly IAP) even just to progress fully through the main (i.e. non-technical, non-descends) content.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to fix things. If GungHo had started out with a Diablo-style ladder system, it would be possible to nerf some of the most blatantly OP creatures, dial the difficulty back for the main dungeons, and start a new ladder season. However, as long as there are players with thousands of dollars invested, you can't make them mad by nerfing, but likewise you can't scare away new players by making the game so hard that they need whale-level teams to make progress. I don't envy the position that GungHo is in right now in that regard.

Top Bottom