• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT2| Don't Ask, Just Reroll

It blocked an easy method that was previously used to hide root status (rooted devices have never worked on JP PAD without workarounds) so errybody just switched to a different, but still easy method. If you're worried about NA PAD wiping your save file due to the anti-root tech making its way into our 6.3 you should probably wait for multiple confirmation from braver people.
I'm rooted, so I'll let you all know what's up once it goes up.

yami4ct

Man, the RNG sure is not being very nice today. Easily got two dragon fruits last time I ran the thursday dungeon, but today when I need them to work on evolving my -Droid, they refuse to drop at all.

I'm guessing a rooted android device is like a jailbroken iOS device?
It's similar in concept but actually different in practice. Android already allows for most of the features you would need to jailbreak iOS for by default. The big fear for publishers, in terms of iOS jailbreaking, is that jailbreak allows iOS to sideload apps and install alternative app stores, like Cydia. For many iOS users, piracy is a major reason to want to be able to sideload apps. But this is really more of a problem for paid apps; f2p apps shouldn't really matter whether or not they are "pirated," since the initial purchase is not how they make money.

With Android, though, sideloading is already available by default. Rooting just allows the user more access to the device's lower level software, which can allow for things like flashing custom Android OS variants and kernels and stuff.

Rahk

Ugh, latest JP update for Android seems to be crashing more frequently for me (Nexus 5). Just lost 10 stamina because I was tapping the screen while loading it back up and accidently moved an orb. Lucky it wasn't 50 stamina, I guess.

Damaniel

Banned
It blocked an easy method that was previously used to hide root status (rooted devices have never worked on JP PAD without workarounds) so errybody just switched to a different, but still easy method. If you're worried about NA PAD wiping your save file due to the anti-root tech making its way into our 6.3 you should probably wait for multiple confirmation from braver people.

If anti-root technology gets placed on the US version of PAD, I'll stop playing. Having my phone rooted is way more important than the game, honestly.

Kreed

I just had two shots at the rare egg machine and got Vritra and Hattori Hanzo.

Any good?

Vritra and Hanzo are good subs, mainly for dark teams (Vritra works really well with Lucifer/teams that function with low HP and Hanzo works great with Dark Metatron), but neither makes for great leaders outside of some early content. But at the rate Gungho is going I won't be surprised to see Hanzo get an ultimate soon to make him better, so hold on to both of them but don't invest a ton into them until you get a good dark/attacker team going.

Tobe

I just had two shots at the rare egg machine and got Vritra and Hattori Hanzo.

Any good?
Like the rest said, as leaders no, but they are good subs specially Hanzo, I bet a couple of gaffer would really like to have one.

Also d/l Anubis might be the new Hanzo. Assuming you get any green Sonia. Anubis just becomes better with better stats.

Most JP Android players I know of do some sort of script that sets timezone/hides root before launching PAD and undoes it after quitting. Wonder if there's something like that for unjailbroken iOS since we have the time zone enforcement rule now too.

Think you're missing a couple key factors of this team

- 8 skill cooldown lets you bypass round 1. You don't need to activate Ra's active to get through 20k and 75k health respectively. Just max combos and mass attack if possible. And with new Ra there is less potential of troll and could wind up with 16x damage.

- Round 2: if you catch all 3 dubs on 3 turn cooldown you can try and burn through them with mass attack light which would make this a completely free run. With the team i proposed you have 6 light sources, you would only need to make 2 other attacks on the dubs to get through. I was successful with this once with a zeus team after burning round 1 too early. If you can't burn them use echidna delay.

- Round 3 - focus on the dub myths. This is the only place where this could get tricky because of the Tamdra lockout but is very manageable. When the tamdra is left alone you get to setup the board with a massive combo before going to the twins. Twins are one shot from the 49 damage combo.

The only risk of failure with this team is if you can't burn both dub myths in round 3.
If you can't proc Ra in 1F, there's no guarantee that you can clear the floor before much of your team is bound and you're killed. 75K HP x 3 is not a sure thing to burn through without a multiplier.

And Echidna shouldn't be Menacing on 2F. That's what Ra is for. Instant kill 2F and Menace on 3F to give you plenty of time to burn both Dub-myths.

I've been thinking about it, and I've come up with what I feel is a much more reliable team based on the team you posted and Cosmo's post about using a Dark Whiskey Dragon. Except I would use the Light Whiskey.

Here's the team:

Ra (9 CD max-skilled. Everyone max-skilled their Ra's during the Batman Collab, right? ;P)
Echidna (10 CD. If you have the other components for this team and she's not max-skilled yet, delete the game and go sit in the corner.)
BlOdin (3x Skill Boost)
Tengu (3x Skill Boost)
L.Whiskey (7 CD and 1x Skill Boost)
Olympios (35% Wrath of God should be enough to makeup for the lower 21x multiplier instead of 36x with dual Ra)

Total Skill Boosts = 7

Here's the rundown:

1F
Turn 1) L.Whiskey nuke to sweep the minor Lits and reduce the Mythlits to ~25K HP each. Even without Ra, Olympios' 3.5x ATK makes it super easy to burn through the Mythlits' remaining health.

2F
Turn 1) Make a match to charge Ra's skill.
Turn 2) Zap 'em with Ra.

3F
Turn 1) Match and focus on Dub-Myths. You may even want to do some mass attacks to give yourself a bigger cushion.
Turn 2) Menace with Echidna and continue to attack Dub-Myths.
Turn 3 - ?) Once you kill both Dub-myths, charge skills and set-up board on TAMA. Set the board, so that you'll be doing mass attacks on the Twins. Once the board is set and your party has 1 bind counter or less, zap TAMA with Ra.

4F
Turns 1-4) Activate all skills except for Tengu. Proceed to annihilate the Twins.

Obviously, I can't test it out until Twinlits come around again, but I think the strategy looks solid. Thoughts, anyone?

linsivvi

If anti-root technology gets placed on the US version of PAD, I'll stop playing. Having my phone rooted is way more important than the game, honestly.

I don't even have a choice. That update message on Facebook says if you have an older device, you might not be able to run it any more due to the lack of memory and they asked you to migrate to another device. Basically they are telling you to buy a new phone.

Well I already couldn't run PAD a few months ago and that's why I rooted my phone in the first place. I installed some memory mods in order to run the game. If they are going to block root I'd just have to stop playing.

There's absolutely no reason why they have to keep all the monster data in the internal memory anyway. Even their new game doesn't do this stupid shit.

Will this be good enough for Hera? I already have Hades so one more gravity would be nice.

It's possible. You'll want to be sure to set the board up properly to ensure you can break Neptune's defense. That means using Angelion and Valk for a burst attack on Neptune. You'll be able to recharge them on Hades if they're max-skilled.

*personally* i'd just waste one stone on hades (so you get 12 turns to charge your skills)..
your numbers are fine, but i'd go with a max lvl +297 valk friend if you can, just to be sure :p
expect a 2-4 stone run, but i mean..
4 stone to get a guaranteed god drop of good quality (hera) that is present in a lot of team comp?
heck gungho make another hera-level descended god :p

Kyuur

Anyone else use PADherder? Just found it, pretty neat to track what I need.

Gotta say my least favorite part of this game is team costs... It's annoying to not be able to evolve my guys because my team will go over. :/ Hard enough just fitting who I currently want in.

Currently rolling with this team. Got pretty lucky pulling a bunch of people I wanted for a my Kirin starter:

weT2aCV.png

Replacing my starter dragon with Orochi when I can, I think it should be pretty good. Major spike power with Verche/Cu Chulainn and some survability with two delay skills.

After using coy's Bastet, I kind of wish I pulled her instead of Kirin. Much more versatile. But alas, I'm happy with my pulls (no resetting either!).

*personally* i'd just waste one stone on hades (so you get 12 turns to charge your skills)..
your numbers are fine, but i'd go with a max lvl +297 valk friend if you can, just to be sure :p
expect a 2-4 stone run, but i mean..
4 stone to get a guaranteed god drop of good quality (hera) that is present in a lot of team comp?
heck gungho make another hera-level descended god :p

why would you waste a stone if you don't need it? Assuming max skilled and you can take care of the rest of the dungeon, there isn't a need to. Hades long CD is long enough to 'stall' for 5 turns to recharge angelion

Genji

Will this be good enough for Hera? I already have Hades so one more gravity would be nice.

As the others have said, should be doable with 0-stones, especially if you have them max skilled. You have a few turns on each of the gods leading up to Hera to take them down, except Venus (you can pop Echidna here safely if she's skilled up and she will be ready again for Hera, or you have to get the max turns possible). Kill Neptune (with lots of 1x3 light orb matches) and Hades on the last turn and then pop Echidna again on Hera and kill her with shynee.

lol I ran normal dungeons trying to get a Lilith drop all day and never got one. Kind of ridiculous that. Not a rare monster or anything.

I have 80 stamina and ran the 5 stamina dungeon. Ended up getting max XP so refilled. so 160 stamina / 5 = 36 runs, no drops.

I wanted a lilith to possibly level up before tomorrow. Could of used it on a Hera team. But oh well.

Genji

lol I ran normal dungeons trying to get a Lilith drop all day and never got one. Kind of ridiculous that. Not a rare monster or anything.

I have 80 stamina and ran the 5 stamina dungeon. Ended up getting max XP so refilled. so 160 stamina / 5 = 36 runs, no drops.

I wanted a lilith to possibly level up before tomorrow. Could of used it on a Hera team. But oh well.

The drop rate for the 5 stam dungeon (Succubus's Whisper?) is probably extremely low :( 1% or something I'd guess. I never had any luck farming those healers in normal dungeons, I got all of mine from either REM, PAL or a descend. Not to say it can't be done, but expect to possibly farm for a long time before you nab one.

Rahk

I got two Lilith's almost back to back farming one of the later normal dungeons when it was 1.5x drop rate, but I was farming for a Siren. I still don't have a Siren or Echidna.

The drop rate for the 5 stam dungeon (Succubus's Whisper?) is probably extremely low :( 1% or something I'd guess. I never had any luck farming those healers in normal dungeons, I got all of mine from either REM, PAL or a descend. Not to say it can't be done, but expect to possibly farm for a long time before you nab one.

yeah PADX shows 2-5% drop rate for those, " depending on experience ". So I dunno, I guess the higher your experience the lower the rate? Dunno. But 2% is likely.

J0dy77

If you can't proc Ra in 1F, there's no guarantee that you can clear the floor before much of your team is bound and you're killed. 75K HP x 3 is not a sure thing to burn through without a multiplier.

And Echidna shouldn't be Menacing on 2F. That's what Ra is for. Instant kill 2F and Menace on 3F to give you plenty of time to burn both Dub-myths.

I've been thinking about it, and I've come up with what I feel is a much more reliable team based on the team you posted and Cosmo's post about using a Dark Whiskey Dragon. Except I would use the Light Whiskey.

Here's the team:

Ra (9 CD max-skilled. Everyone max-skilled their Ra's during the Batman Collab, right? ;P)
Echidna (10 CD. If you have the other components for this team and she's not max-skilled yet, delete the game and go sit in the corner.)
BlOdin (3x Skill Boost)
Tengu (3x Skill Boost)
L.Whiskey (7 CD and 1x Skill Boost)
Olympios (35% Wrath of God should be enough to makeup for the lower 21x multiplier instead of 36x with dual Ra)

Total Skill Boosts = 7

Here's the rundown:

1F
Turn 1) L.Whiskey nuke to sweep the minor Lits and reduce the Mythlits to ~25K HP each. Even without Ra, Olympios' 3.5x ATK makes it super easy to burn through the Mythlits' remaining health.

2F
Turn 2) Zap 'em with Ra.

3F
Turn 1) Match and focus on Dub-Myths. You may even want to do some mass attacks to give yourself a bigger cushion.
Turn 3 - ?) Once you kill both Dub-myths, charge skills and set-up board on TAMA. Set the board, so that you'll be doing mass attacks on the Twins. Once the board is set and your party has 1 bind counter or less, zap TAMA with Ra.

4F
Turns 1-4) Activate all skills except for Tengu. Proceed to annihilate the Twins.

Obviously, I can't test it out until Twinlits come around again, but I think the strategy looks solid. Thoughts, anyone?

You beat PAD. I take back what I said, that's a better team.

My posts earlier made the assumption that Ra had zero skillups (situation I'm in). I'm guessing most non IAP players wouldn't get that benefit. Having Ra at max skill would make the team and concept insanely strong. Being able to use delay in round 3 is a huge advantage.

Rounds 1 and 2 are free with zero risk. Round 3 has some slight risk since you don't have orb changers to focus light. I would definitely use one light mass attack to give you some breathing room for when delay wears off. Round 4 should be a breeze with gravity and 21.5x damage with a setup board and delay. I'm insanely jealous of that team right now, well done sir. I'll take satisfaction knowing someone is breezing through the dungeon even if I can't... Yet!!!

Man guys this game is crazy now! I used to play back at the beginning, when the green odin, Amaterasu, orochi trinity was the strongest rolls, or when the green dragon knight reigned supreme with a team of 4 rippers.
I stopped playing maybe 6 or 7 months ago and decided to come back today and was blown away with the amount of monsters you can get now and how the top gear monsters have shifted so much! It was crazy to see GrOdin at a C tier, and not even see Amaterasu on the list! I was looking to see what I should and shouldn't keep for my free roll, and ended up getting Okuninushi, which was relatively high on the lost for keeping, as my first roll. I just finished the first few sets of dungeons for my second roll and ended up with an Enchinda! My luck is crazy right now! I remember her being really really good before, is she still decent? Thanks for any help!

Man guys this game is crazy now! I used to play back at the beggining, when the green odon, amaterasu, orochi trinity was the strongest rolls, or when the green dragon knight reigned supreme with a team of 4 rippers.
I stopped playing maybe 6 or 7 months ago and decided to come back today and was blown away with the amount of monsters you can get now and how the top gear monsters have shifted so much! It was crazy to see GrOdin at a C teir, and not even see amaterasu on the list! I was looking to see what I should and shouldn't keep for my free roll, and ended up getting Okuninushi, which was relatively high on the lost for keeping, as my first roll. I just finished the first few sets of dungeons for my second roll and ended up with an Enchinda! My luck is crazy right now! I remember her being really really good before, is she still decent? Thanks for any help!

There have been some new endgame dungeons made since you stopped playing that specifically hose Echidna but she's still the best sub in the game. Ookuninushi is hard mode PAD but really strong to compensate.

Tobe

Man guys this game is crazy now! I used to play back at the beggining, when the green odon, amaterasu, orochi trinity was the strongest rolls, or when the green dragon knight reigned supreme with a team of 4 rippers.
I stopped playing maybe 6 or 7 months ago and decided to come back today and was blown away with the amount of monsters you can get now and how the top gear monsters have shifted so much! It was crazy to see GrOdin at a C teir, and not even see amaterasu on the list! I was looking to see what I should and shouldn't keep for my free roll, and ended up getting Okuninushi, which was relatively high on the lost for keeping, as my first roll. I just finished the first few sets of dungeons for my second roll and ended up with an Enchinda! My luck is crazy right now! I remember her being really really good before, is she still decent? Thanks for any help!
She is a staple in most teams, good rcv, soon to have a busty form, farmable skill ups(it's painful but it can be farmed) yup you are good to go, since your first pull was okuni you are going to get used to comboing 6+ from the get go.

linsivvi

Sure, but it's got leader skills, friend monsters, and all that jazz I'm assuming. Retrofitting the DQM engine onto the Dragon Collection framework.

It's got dungeon exploration, random encounters and each monster has its individual hp and you gain experience from fighting monsters. From the image I see attack, defend, magic, flee, AI, just like a traditional RPG. The collection part is from DQM so it's basically just a light version of the full NDS/3DS games.

Sure there is friend helper and probably other F2P staples like stamina and online shop, but I don't see how it can be considered a PAD clone when it's a straight up RPG with no puzzle.

At what point do you draw the line, though? Puyo Quest is "PAD except Puyo Sniper instead of Bejeweled", Brave Fronter is "PAD except for traditional JRPG battles instead of puzzles", Quiz RPG is "PAD except with trivia questions instead of puzzles", Donpaccin is "PAD except a terrible shmup instead of puzzles". They might not have the puzzle part but the entire framework down to, in certain games, the exact menu layout and options are identical. I've taken to calling them "games with the PAD framework", but it's a lot more succinct to just call them PAD clones.

Speaking of which, the game PAD stole the framework from, Dragon Collection, shut down its NA servers last month. rip in peace?

Rahk

Does the 3DS version of PAD flesh out the RPG aspect? A Dragon Quest/Pokemon-esque game with the PAD battle system would be amazing.

linsivvi

At what point do you draw the line, though? Puyo Quest is "PAD except Puyo Sniper instead of Bejeweled", Brave Fronter is "PAD except for traditional JRPG battles instead of puzzles", Quiz RPG is "PAD except with trivia questions instead of puzzles", Donpaccin is "PAD except a terrible shmup instead of puzzles". They might not have the puzzle part but the entire framework down to, in certain games, the exact menu layout and options are identical. I've taken to calling them "games with the PAD framework", but it's a lot more succinct to just call them PAD clones.

Speaking of which, the game PAD stole the framework from, Dragon Collection, shut down its NA servers last month. rip in peace?

I don't consider borrowing certain gameplay elements a clone.. I would consider DQM Light as much of a PAD clone as PAD a Dragon Quest/Pokemon clone. The stone/energy system has existed for years too.

xCobalt

1F

2F
Turn 2) Zap 'em with Ra.

3F

4F

Make another match on floor 2 so that Echidna is charged for floor 3. Tama is on a one turn timer so it could bind Echidna and potentially ruin your strategy.

Make another match on floor 2 so that Echidna is charged for floor 3. Tama is on a one turn timer so it could bind Echidna and potentially ruin your strategy.
I've run the dungeon so many times, I could've swore TAMA starts off with 2 timer. But I would always enter it with Echidna already charged so TAMA never had the opportunity to bind anyone before I would Menace. So maybe I'm just mistaken and TAMA can start with either 1 or 2 timer. But you can't rely on charging for 2 turns on 2F either because sometimes the Dub(s) are only on a 2 timer. That may necessitate a tweak on the team. Perhaps an awoken Okuninushi helper for the extra Skill Boost. And like Zeus, he's immune to being orb trolled in 1F. I mean the odds of not being able to Menace before the Dub-myths attack is really low anyway, but I'm trying to come up with as close to a failproof team as possible. One of the things I like about using an Olympios helper is that a lot of people use him for Twinlits so helpers are always available.

xCobalt

I've run the dungeon so many times, I could've swore TAMA starts off with 2 timer. But I would always enter it with Echidna already charged so TAMA never had the opportunity to bind anyone before I would Menace. So maybe I'm just mistaken and TAMA can start with either 1 or 2 timer. But you can't rely on charging for 2 turns on 2F either because sometimes the Dub(s) are only on a 2 timer. That may necessitate a tweak on the team. Perhaps an awoken Okuninushi helper for the extra Skill Boost. And like Zeus, he's immune to being orb trolled in 1F. I mean the odds of not being able to Menace before the Dub-myths attack is really low anyway, but I'm trying to come up with as close to a failproof team as possible. One of the things I like about using an Olympios helper is that a lot of people use him for Twinlits so helpers are always available.

I've seen Tama start off with both 1 and 2 turns but in my experience, 1 seems to be more common. I suppose you could try not killing all 3 mythlits on floor 1.

saichi

PAD is a DQM clone. It's DQM with puzzle and friend leader. It's not the other way around.

PAD is a DQM clone. It's DQM with puzzle and friend leader. It's not the other way around.

Here's a screenshot of the menu in Super Light. I don't think I even need to translate most of the text for you to figure out what is what:
screen568x568.jpeg

After a bit of research I guess there are other games predating PAD which also have the exact same menu layout? I guess PAD was just the first to go super saiyan then?

Top Bottom