• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

Sure but games aren't reviewed like that. He knows that. 7 is pretty mediocre and 6 is below dip below 5 and you are in bad territory. He can do whatever he wants but I don't think the 2 lines up with his own write up. That's just my opinion.

aw jeez you have to be trolling.

I'm an idiot for falling for it

RobRivers

Alan wake was for me one of the best games last gen. I suppose that quantum break will also be similar to me.

I do not understand why do remedy games have such a strict reviews. (Sorry english is not my native language).

Gator86

Off putting? I am finding it absolutely hilarious.

The explanations people come up with, just because a game they have interest in (and most likely haven't even played yet) is getting mixed reviews, some of them quite bad. No, it can't be!

Basically. Review threads are usually trash I read for the same reason I look at Souls threads or YouTube comments. They're almost always entirely full of people shrieking at individual reviewers over perceived slights from low scores for a product they haven't played but love anyway or arguing about the tyranny of the illegitimate metacritic regime. No one discusses the reviews themselves or the parts of the games critiqued.

reson8or

Look Jeff can give it whatever score he wants but as far as scores a 4/10 tells me a game is garbage and borderline unplayable. His review didn't indicate that. From what I read a 3/5 score seems more in line from my perspective. The score troubles me a bit.

Look how much attention GB gets by having scores like this.. Just sayin

Come on man, this guy left his old job at Gamespot over his adherence to the integrity of his review, are you REALLY calling his opinion into question?

Look Jeff can give it whatever score he wants but as far as scores a 4/10 tells me a game is garbage and borderline unplayable. His review didn't indicate that. From what I read a 3/5 score seems more in line from my perspective. The score troubles me a bit.

Yes, the people who don't understand a simple 5 point scale sure is giving them a lot of attention. Maybe if you didn't just look at metacritic score, actually you know, read the text, you wouldn't assume that their 2/5 meant it was borderline unplayable.

Catvoca

Banned
Sure but games aren't reviewed like that. He knows that. 7 is pretty mediocre and 6 is below dip below 5 and you are in bad territory. He can do whatever he wants but I don't think the 2 lines up with his own write up. That's just my opinion.

That's why they use a 5 point scale instead of a 10 point one. To avoid ridiculous shit like this, thinking 7 is mediocre.

I should say thinking the score doesn't line up with his writing is fine, but if you're reading the scale correctly then I think it most definitely does.

Damn, I was predicting an 85, kind if disappointing tbh. Will still play it but this probably won't compete for GOTY like I expected.

The review absolutely read like a 2/5 one, and if you think Jeff gives bad reviews to get attention, you do not know him at all.

tesqui

hmm I think I'll wait for a discount on this one. At least I can look forward to Ratchet and Clank in less than 2 weeks!

I think it depends on each reviewer's individual scale. To Angry Joe, a 7/10 is a good game, an 8/10 is a great game, a 9/10 is amazing/[enter another superlative-like adjective here] game, and a 10/10 is a masterpiece.

StoveOven

Banned

He didn't give the game a 4/10. He gave it a 2/5.

Come on man, this guy left his old job at Gamespot over his adherence to the integrity of his review, are you REALLY calling his opinion into question?
He can do whatever he wants I just don't think his actual score matches what he had written about the game. I haven't played the game but 2 out of 5 screams "pretty much crap" to me. It's all opinions at the end of the day. Maybe they have explained their review scale better and I'm not aware but that's just my opinion. Him leaving a job Is irrelevant to my opinion of his review score.

Catvoca

Banned
Looking back at his past reviews, I get the feeling that Jeff's not too big a fan of 1st or 3rd person shooters.

Don't know where you're getting that from, he plays a lot of shooters. Just recently he gave Superhot and The Division 4 stars, same for Halo 5 and Fallout 4 last year.

Gestault

Looking back at his past reviews, I get the feeling that Jeff's not too big a fan of 1st or 3rd person shooters.

I swear every time Jeff gives a middling or negative review, people question whether he even enjoys that genre. I can easily see the points he lays out in the text, and this from someone expecting to enjoy it. Honestly, negative reviews have value for me in some cases because it adjusts expectations beforehand.

fancymofoyvyvx.gif

Catvoca

Banned
He gave Fallout 4 three stars

On console. On PC without the technical issues he gave it 4 stars.

I actually do not know him at all.

You should look him up before accusing him of something then. He is literally the last person you should be worried of giving review scores for clicks. It's dumb no matter who you're accusing though. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Gerstmann#Termination_from_GameSpot_.282007.E2.80.932008.29

RE_Player

Look forward to when the game is actually released and some people end up agreeing with Jeff.

Some people will love it, some will hate it and some will simply be indifferent. Not going to cancel my pre-order because I am interested in playing QB and coming up with my own opinion.

tfur

Considering some of the descriptions and negatives in the reviews in the OP, I am surprised the scores are as high.

It will be interesting to see what the general consensus is a few months after release.

It's crazy how after 20 years of him reviewing games, Jeff is still being called out when people disagree with his opinion.

It's fucking hilarious and depressing at the same time.

notaskwid

He can do whatever he wants I just don't think his actual score matches what he had written about the game. I haven't played the game but 2 out of 5 screams "pretty much crap" to me. It's all opinions at the end of the day. Maybe they have explained their review scale better and I'm not aware but that's just my opinion. Him leaving a job Is irrelevant to my opinion of his review score.
Maybe he should have given The Division 2 stars. It's a much bigger game and would attract even more attention!

Ah, having checked the reviews listed by OP, I see why some people are confused by the seemingly low Metacritic. The problem is quite a lot of the reviews are not on Metacritic, hence the disconnect of the mostly 8's and 9's in the OP and a Metacritic standing of 78.
If you look through the scores on Metacritic itself you'll see a much more equally distributed scores between the 6-9 range.

harSon

Banned
I swear every time Jeff gives a middling or negative review, people question whether he even enjoys that genre.

I don't really follow reviews, nor do I watch Giant Bomb or follow any gaming sites in general, so I'm just going off of past reviews. I'm not saying he hates your prototypical shooter, it just seems from past reviews, that his passions within gaming lay with other genres. I could be totally off base. As I said, I know zilch about the guy and am going off of his reviews going back to the launch of the current generation.

Catvoca

Banned
It's crazy how after 20 years of him reviewing games, Jeff is still being called out when people disagree with his opinion.

It's fucking hilarious and depressing at the same time.

I guess it shows how people see videogame reviews more then anything. Some people think every site is only it for the clicks or is being payed by the publisher for good scores or is biased against Playstation etc. No wonder good videogames writing can be hard to come by when this a big part of your audience.

I swear every time Jeff gives a middling or negative review, people question whether he even enjoys that genre. I can easily see the points he lays out in the text, and this from someone expecting to enjoy it. Honestly, negative reviews have value for me in some cases because it adjusts expectations beforehand.

The only genre that Jeff dislikes across the board is the tower defense one. And he doesn't review these games, lol.

The only thing worst than giving the score a reviewer uses more weight than what they wrote is collecting an aggregate of every review, including those from people you could care less about, and putting weight into the average of pointless numbers.

From the reviews I've read from reviewers I care about, including Giant Bomb, it looks like a pretty good game. It's doing some innovative stuff that may or may not pan out for everyone, but will be interesting to experience for myself.

Anyone can cherry pick scores to sell their point of view. But if you read the reviews, you can pick up on what they thought of earlier Remedy games compared to your own experiences, and you can get a feel for how the game may work out for you. The little number at the end means absolutely nothing.

I don't really follow reviews, nor do I watch Giant Bomb or follow any gaming sites in general, so I'm just going off of past reviews. I'm not saying he hates your prototypical shooter, it just seems from past reviews, that his passions within gaming lay with other genres. I could be totally off base. As I said, I know zilch about the guy and am going off of his reviews going back to the launch of the current generation.

Huh?

harSon

Banned
Pretty sure Advanced Warfare and Far Cry 3 were his GOTY in 2014 and 2012 respectively

Ah, I see. I was just going off of Open Critic, since it's the only gaming related site that's seemingly not blocked at my job. Can't really look into any other sites :p

TheZink

Alan wake was for me one of the best games last gen. I suppose that quantum break will also be similar to me.

I do not understand why do remedy games have such a strict reviews. (Sorry english is not my native language).
This is how I'm going into it also.

Top Bottom