• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

It's crazy how after 20 years of him reviewing games, Jeff is still being called out when people disagree with his opinion.

It's fucking hilarious and depressing at the same time.
So he has an opinion and people can't have opinions about his scoring method? I read his review and I was surprised he shot it as low as 2. It's that simple. Obviously plenty of other reviewers disagree or agree that's how these things work. Have GB explained their review scale? Maybe that would help me understand better. 2 out of 5 is very damning on the quality of a game from my perspective and his review seemed to point toward mediocrity.

Toki767

I don't really get piling on Jeff. He isn't the only one that gave it a 2/5.

And really, his singular 2/5 score is not exactly going to take the game from a 78 metacritic to a 85+ one.

I guess people are just trying to come up with reasons to try to justify their preorders?

muzzymate

Can't wait to pick this one up, even after the reviews! Alan Wake was one of my favorite games last-gen, and this looks like an evolution of that style.

Will have to wait though till after the semester and house-hunting.

cakely

Look Jeff can give it whatever score he wants but as far as scores a 4/10 tells me a game is garbage and borderline unplayable. His review didn't indicate that. From what I read a 3/5 score seems more in line from my perspective. The score troubles me a bit.

Look how much attention GB gets by having scores like this.. Just sayin

So, Jeff gave the game you loved (but haven't played yet) a low score because he wanted to draw attention to Giant Bomb. That does seem unjust and I can see why you're upset.

So he has an opinion and people can't have opinions about his scoring method? I read his review and I was surprised he shot it as low as 2. It's that simple. Obviously plenty of other reviewers disagree or agree that's how these things work. Have GB explained their review scale? Maybe that would help me understand better. 2 out of 5 is very damning on the quality of a game from my perspective and his review seemed to point toward mediocrity.
His review pointed towards disappointment, and that's exactly what a 2/5 represents - disappointment.

blackflag

He can do whatever he wants I just don't think his actual score matches what he had written about the game. I haven't played the game but 2 out of 5 screams "pretty much crap" to me. It's all opinions at the end of the day. Maybe they have explained their review scale better and I'm not aware but that's just my opinion. Him leaving a job Is irrelevant to my opinion of his review score.

And you criticizing his review score without having played the game yourself is irrelevant to pretty much everyone.

Velkyn

Looking back at his past reviews, I get the feeling that Jeff's not too big a fan of 1st or 3rd person shooters.

He's probably one of the biggest shooter fans on the staff. Hell, he met Dan Ryckert because they both were attending Activision COD events constantly.

I respect Jeff's opinion, as always, but it's not like I have to conform to his opinion on everything because I'm a fan of the site.

gamz

I'm confused? So is this Jeff dude like the biggest and best Videogame critic or something? This entire thread is about him. Is he that important to the industry like a Roger Ebert was to film?

So he has an opinion and people can't have opinions about his scoring method? I read his review and I was surprised he shot it as low as 2. It's that simple.

Not it's not that simple. You not-so-subtly attacked his integrity by suggesting he gave the score to get clicks.

You posted something dumb, got called out for it, and instead of taking it and moving on, you doubled-down on your fanboyish attitude in some weird way of trying to save face.

It's not working.

He's probably one of the biggest shooter fans on the staff.

His 2014 game of the year was Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, LOL.

Karak

I'm confused? So is this Jeff dude like the biggest and best Videogame critic or something? This entire thread is about him. Is he that important to the industry like a Roger Ebert?

Its happened in almost every thread if someone from a somewhat larger site has a unique score.
What it really means is they played a game and scored it. LOL.

Steejee

Opinions, how do they work again?

Everyone's got one and they're all full of shit =)

Range of scores is greater than I expected, but given that I found Alan Wake solid but not great (like American Nightmare more than the main game), the aggregate score is not too far off.

Serick

Married Member
Well this generation has been pretty lackluster so far... or maybe I'm just looking back on last gen with rose-tinted glasses.

Either way, buying/playing day 1 and I'm excited.

Altairre

You didn't just point out a supposed discrepancy between the text and the score, you immediately jumped to dumb conspiracy theories about him doing it just for attention and clicks. It's also perfectly in line with some of his other reviews. He gave the latest Need for Speed and The Order 1886 a 2/5 as well and neither one of those games are in the "borderline unplayable garbage" category, he even suggested a rental for The Order because there were things he liked about it. But please continue with your completely baseless assumptions.

And you criticizing his review score without having played the game yourself is irrelevant to pretty much everyone.
Yes except my point is that 2 seemed harsh based on what he had written. Perhaps their review scale is different than what I expect. Many Many threads on this site are full of people commenting on things they haven't played. I don't see the problem.

AHA-Lambda

If you ignore the low scores Quantum Break has a pretty high Metacritic.

giphy.gif

harSon

Banned
I'm confused? So is this Jeff dude like the biggest and best Videogame critic or something? This entire thread is about him. Is he that important to the industry like a Roger Ebert?

He's just the biggest name of the reviewers who gave scores that are below the average for an anticipated release. But then again, my knowledge of him ends at around 2008 when the Gamespot fuckery occurred (or whenever 1UP fell off) - which is around the time I stopped following gaming publications.

Not it's not that simple. You not-so-subtly attacked his integrity by suggesting he gave the score to get clicks.

You posted something dumb, got called out for it, and instead of taking it and moving on, you doubled-down on your fanboyish attitude in some weird way of trying to save face.

It's not working.
i haven't paid close attention to this conversation but to be fair, I remember a time when greg miller reviewed a gow game at the end he put "kratos sucks" and took off significant points for that, also in his inf1 review he took off points for cole's gritty voice and I thought it was really asinine.
That's the joke.
I didn't know it was supposed to be a joke.

Gestault

I'm confused? So is this Jeff dude like the biggest and best Videogame critic or something? This entire thread is about him. Is he that important to the industry like a Roger Ebert was to film?

He got a lot of visibility years back when he was fired from Gamespot for writing a critical review of a game (Kane and Lynch) when there was an advertising agreement with the publisher that more or less had "bought" a good review. He had refused to change the review. So he and some friends/editorial refugees started Giant Bomb, which is popular.

gamz

He got a lot of visibility years back when he was fired from Gamespot for writing a critical review of a game (Kane and Lynch) when there was an advertising agreement with the publisher that more or less had "bought" a good review. He had refused to change the review. So he and some friends/editorial refugees started Giant Bomb, which is popular.

Ah! Cool and thanks.

Chobel

Chobel be nice
I'm being nice.

Perfect.

It's simple, he felt the game is below average, average is 2.5/5, so he gave it 2.

He's one of the guys with the longest tenure in the video game journalism business. I think it all boils down to him apparently slighting more people with his reviews for the simple fact that he's been doing it for so long.

I wouldn't compare him to Roger Ebert, but he's built quite a company at Giant Bomb. Those fans are hardcore.

blackflag

Yes except my point is that 2 seemed harsh based on what he had written. Perhaps their review scale is different than what I expect. Many Many threads on this site are full of people commenting on things they haven't played. I don't see the problem.

Are those threads full of people accusing the review of unethical journalism?

ethomaz

Banned
Just my 2 cents here...

His review reads like a 2/5 review... he spot the flaws that game have holding it to reach 3/5.

While that there is a 10/10 that says that game could be perfect if Remedy changed the cover system... so why give it a 10? Maybe a 9 because the cover system.

Sydle

There are a ton of 8's,9's, and 10's, enough to keep me excited to play it. I will say I'm a little disappointed to read it's so short.

I would like to think those other people don't throw out personal insults when someone disagrees with them. Especially when that person has actually played the game.

Toki767

Jeff's review read somewhere between a 2 and a 3 for me.

It's all the other reviews giving it 9s that don't read like 9s that I'd have an issue with.

Catvoca

Banned
i haven't paid close attention to this conversation but to be fair, I remember a time when greg miller reviewed a gow game at the end he put "kratos sucks" and took off significant points for that, also in his inf1 review he took off points for cole's gritty voice and I thought it was really asinine.

The positives and negatives at the bottom of an IGN review are just short summations of what was actually written. So "Kratos Sucks" was probably about how he doesn't like Kratos as a character in the game, which i'm sure he wrote about in the body of the review, you know, the most important part you should read before bashing it? Same with Cole's voice, he doesn't like the VO and criticised the game for it. Also, most critics don't take off points for something, they play the game and get a feel for what the score should be. Maybe some technical issues might affect it, but they don't go "I don't like this characters VO, that's minus 2 points!".

vcc

He was fired from gamespot for not caving to eidos pressure to give kayne and lynch 2 a good review. He picked up and started giant bomb after that fiasco. He's been a critic for 80% of the era of videogames. He is well respected among critics and game makers.

If there is a roger ebert of video games he's a candidate. However if he doesn't like a game it just mean he doesn't like it. Just like any other critic. It's a subjective personal opinion.

Look Jeff can give it whatever score he wants but as far as scores a 4/10 tells me a game is garbage and borderline unplayable. His review didn't indicate that. From what I read a 3/5 score seems more in line from my perspective. The score troubles me a bit.

Look how much attention GB gets by having scores like this.. Just sayin

Sure but games aren't reviewed like that. He knows that. 7 is pretty mediocre and 6 is below dip below 5 and you are in bad territory. He can do whatever he wants but I don't think the 2 lines up with his own write up. That's just my opinion.

He can do whatever he wants I just don't think his actual score matches what he had written about the game. I haven't played the game but 2 out of 5 screams "pretty much crap" to me. It's all opinions at the end of the day. Maybe they have explained their review scale better and I'm not aware but that's just my opinion. Him leaving a job Is irrelevant to my opinion of his review score.

I actually do not know him at all.

That's fair enough. My initial take on 2/5 is far more harsh then some it seems.

mX5Ndsm.gif

Top Bottom