• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

icespide

Banned
I hate to be a dick about it, because I actually really enjoy Jeff as a person, but he has opposite tastes to me.

I didn't enjoy Super Mario Maker at all, love Rocket League, and will probably enjoy this.

We rarely align opinions, which is fine.

he's very smart and has lots of interesting analysis on games but he's mostly cynical and jaded as fuck

Karak

I've only read a few of the reviews and I've seen a lot of mention of the streaming problems... How is that possible? I mean they are hosted on Microsoft's cloud servers right?

I'm really curious at what consumers will experience day 1 if limited number reviewers have an abysmal experience.

Other than a starting buffer did not have issues ever.

le.phat

So quantum break is repetitive, but the division(most repetiivegame ive pkayed in years) isnt?

Sometimes i think people just like to complain when someone tries anything new.

What new things did QB try ? The TV show ? You think people describe the game as repetitive for adding the those long FMV's ?

Gator86

Of course they're meaningful industry wide. But they're meaningless to players. Industry wide they're harmful to the industry IMO, and this obsession over them isn't helping.

No, they're meaningful to players too. Not everyone obsessively reads GAF or wants to scroll through a dozen reviews. A metacritic average is just a shorthand for all that. It's not perfect, but someone grabbing a 90+ game is almost always going to get a better game than someone grabbing a 70. People arguing about whether a 75 game is better than a 73 game or quibbling about the differences between PS4/XBone version scores are clueless; that's not metacritic's fault.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Are you seriously comparing gameplay of the Order and Quantum Break? They aren't even close.

youre comparing this with the order?

What I got from the Order was an overbearing story that completely took over every segment of the game. It was a bad, dull story that was filled with screenwriting-101 tropes, bad character development, and saddled with some of the most generic gameplay in a while (aside from some nifty weaponry that was fun to use, like the electric gun). It was a next-gen game with its roots firmly planted in the early last gen stages, games that could actually wow us with sights and sounds without being too rich in new ideas or even good ideas.

Quantum Break feels like an idea that sprang from the Microsoft 2012 era ("it's TV, and it's interactive!") From reading the reviews the live action scenes add little to nothing to a game that's already full of overly serious time-hoppery (why, oh why, is a game that is centered on time travel not even the slightest bit lighthearted, aside from some in-game Remedy jokes?) And the gameplay, from what I've seen of the hour or so of pre-release footage from Giantbomb, didn't look all that engaging (and as it turns out, is one of the weaker links). So when I compare it to the Order, I mean that in terms of feeling like a throwback to an era that isn't fondly remembered, is overly serious about itself, and has few attempts at humor or any majorly interesting gameplay segments.

Not to say people haven't enjoyed it, as the split of reviews show. The Order has its defenders too. Anyways, won't be buying for PC for sure.

VinFTW

I got $48 in credit leftover at Gamestop, fuck it, there's way more good scores than poor scores.

Not gonna let metacritic deprive me of dat Remedy magic. Gonna pick it up day 1.

styl3s

A 2 on giantbomb?

Damn, I trust them the most.

Shit that sucks. Looks like it's gonna be sub 80 on metacritic.
GB, specifically Jeff has different taste than a lot of people and it's the exact reason i put 0 stock in reviews but at the same time i don't get why people shit on GB/Jeff for giving their opinion.

Not everyone is gonna see this game as a 8/10. I'm still buying it regardless that the 2 people i trust the most gave it low scores because i have played it at shows and i am interested.

I like Jeff, but from his review I didn't even feel he cares about actually reviewing the game, which is weird because he is definitely not one of that kind of guy.

What I got from the Order was an overbearing story that completely took over every segment of the game. It was a bad, dull story that was filled with screenwriting-101 tropes, bad character development, and saddled with some of the most generic gameplay in a while (aside from some nifty weaponry that was fun to use, like the electric gun). It was a next-gen game with its roots firmly planted in the early last gen stages, games that could actually wow us with sights and sounds without being too rich in new ideas or even good ideas.

Quantum Break feels like an idea that sprang from the Microsoft 2012 era ("it's TV, and it's interactive!") From reading the reviews the live action scenes add little to nothing to a game that's already full of overly serious time-hoppery (why, oh why, is a game that is centered on time travel not even the slightest bit lighthearted, aside from some in-game Remedy jokes?) And the gameplay, from what I've seen of the hour or so of pre-release footage from Giantbomb, didn't look all that engaging (and as it turns out, is one of the weaker links). So when I compare it to the Order, I mean that in terms of feeling like a throwback to an era that isn't fondly remembered, is overly serious about itself, and has few attempts at humor or any majorly interesting gameplay segments.

Not to say people haven't enjoyed it, as the split of reviews show. The Order has its defenders too. Anyways, won't be buying for PC for sure.

So some people liked the way the TV show is implemented and some don't, you choose to exclusively rely on the negative opinions to base your opinion on and you wont be buying the game on any platform?

Cool beans, I guess.

Trup1aya

People pouting about reviews is always great. Why is MC a terrible way to judge a game? Most of the reasons people normally give are hilariously inaccurate or untestable.

And why would a 50 be an average score? Are you assuming that review scores are perfectly normally distributing with a range from 1-100? There are literally zero games where that has ever been the case, especially if you're thinking about video game scores in the aggregate.

Personally, I think 79 is a solid score, but I'm not going to criticize people who think it's low enough to promote some doubt about the game.

The thing is each reviewer has a different interpretation of what score would apply to an average game.

Some are vocal about the fact that they view 5 to be average. MC views anything over 7 as favorable. So that disconnect will always end with distorted perception of the overall MC score.

It looks like metacritic weights scores according to the popularity of the reviewer, but takes no consideration for the reviewers scale. That's problematic, but it's a problem that only really presents itself when the score from larger publications deviates lower than the norm.

george_us

And this is exactly where I'm coming from. The "boom or bust" mentality that permeates the industry is extremely worrying. It leads to a very risk-averse industry where people bank on "safe bets" and lots of "me-too!" projects. I'm not saying that there's going to be a crash like some like to say, but something has to give. Things can't stay like this forever.
Precisely why developers need to quit spending $50 million on things that ultimately don't matter.

dawid

I concluded Quantum Break feeling like something new had happened. Something special had happened

I think this line from the Kotaku-review speaks alot about the mindset of many reviewers when playing a big budget hype-game like Quantum Break. It's big and flashy enough to warrent i big score right? Right?!

Jeffs review is interesting since he often seem to enjoy these type of games. However i can't seem to forget how overly sceptical he seemed when Drew first showed of the game in an unfinished preview.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So some people liked the way the TV show is implemented and some don't, you choose to exclusively rely on the negative opinions to base your opinion on and you wont be buying the game on any platform?

Cool beans, I guess.

I trust Jeff as a reviewer...I couldn't believe he gave Driveclub 2 stars and wanted to rage with everyone else, but I bought the game and...yeah, 2 stars was pretty much on the nose. So I don't want to make that mistake again. :p

eshwaaz

I hate to be a dick about it, because I actually really enjoy Jeff as a person, but he has opposite tastes to me.

I didn't enjoy Super Mario Maker at all, love Rocket League, and will probably enjoy this.

We rarely align opinions, which is fine.
Same. I find Jeff very entertaining and respect all of his knowledge and experience, but it was clear years ago that my taste in games (and movies, TV, food, music) is dramatically different than his. Which, as you said, is fine.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I trust Jeff as a reviewer...I couldn't believe he gave Driveclub 2 stars and wanted to rage with everyone else, but I bought the game and...yeah, 2 stars was pretty much on the nose. So I don't want to make that mistake again. :p
And then you have someone else that bought Driveclub a year after reading that review and thinks it's the best arcade racing game since Dirt 3 and Jeff is mad in the QL that he can't even drift.

Holding up Jeff Gerstmann as some arbiter of good and bad is ridiculous.

Might be canceling my pre-order after seeing some of those reviews. I don't feel like sitting through 20 minute tv shows when I can just watch an actual TV show at my own leisure. Besides, DSIII is a week later.

Jingo

What new things did QB try ? The TV show ? You think people describe the game as repetitive for adding the those long FMV's ?

Im just saying reviewers have different opinions for the same thing just on different games, quantum break may be repetitive, but damm the division is repetitive as hell and i didnt heard anyone saying that, its the loot system that deviates the game from its core? Cause that game its essentialy killing the same guys over and over and over, in in side quests its always the same enemies, yet, i didny hear a word about that!

The tv show sucks? Maybe, but at least i see an inovation in a world of games that is becoming more and more of the same, maybe people just want the same thing over and over..

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
And then you have someone else that bought Driveclub a year after reading that review and thinks it's the best arcade racing game since Dirt 3 and Jeff is mad in the QL that he can't even drift.

Holding up Jeff Gerstmann as some arbiter of good and bad is ridiculous.

When I find myself agreeing with more of his reviews than not, why wouldn't I trust his opinion? And I've made it clear that it's strictly my opinion. I don't think his review holds any more weight than anyone else in the larger-tier website reviews sphere.

The games I've played that he reviewed, I can agree on (Fallout 4: 3 stars, CoD: 3 stars, though honestly I would have given it two, 4 stars for Superhot, etc.). Again, strictly speaking only for myself, which I thought was pretty obvious to begin with.

rashbeep

Banned
Bit surprised to see it getting under an 80 average, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it nonetheless since I've enjoyed every other Remedy game.

Hesitant to pick it up due to the W10 bs around it though.

This is going about how I expected.

Both this and The Order felt like they fell out of a time portal from 2010.

I don't understand why people are greenlighting these kinds of singleplayer only linear third person shooters these days, especially as $60 titles.

I resent the statement that we can't have single player linear third player shooters these days. Wolfenstein was a first person linear shooter and was a success. Uncharted will be huge even if it also has a MP mode.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Disappointing reviews, but I have a feeling I'm going to love it anyways.

Just have to decide if I want to buy it now, or wait.

The scores for this game are all over the place. Not that common to see with AAA games.
Looking at Metacritic and you'll see an almost equal distribution of 8's, 7's and 6's. Then some 9's thrown in here and there. Sprinkled with a few 4's, and 10's for added spice, lol.
I guess this is one of those games you really have to play in order to decide if it's for you or not. I'm fully expecting really divisive opinions here on GAF as well.

labaronx

Just have to decide if I want to buy it now, or wait.[/QUOTE]

Currently my thoughts too and by wait i mean next weekend decisions decisions

You know what.

I'm going to bite the bullet and get the digital version from the Xbox Store.

I ... I have to try this on PC and if it doesn't pan out, I'll fall back on the XB1 version.

Servbot24

Banned
Sounds like it's at least good, but it will be divisive whether it's more than that. I'll definitely give it a go when I have a capable PC or XB1.

papo

What I'm getting from this thread is the game is going to bomb because of one 2/5 score?

Comparisons to The Order?

I'm out.

Osahi

Im just saying reviewers have different opinions for the same thing just on different games, quantum break may be repetitive, but damm the division is repetitive as hell and i didnt heard anyone saying that, its the loot system that deviates the game from its core? Cause that game its essentialy killing the same guys over and over and over, in in side quests its always the same enemies, yet, i didny hear a word about that!

The tv show sucks? Maybe, but at least i see an inovation in a world of games that is becoming more and more of the same, maybe people just want the same thing over and over..

Strip the tv-show back to it's basics and it is hardly innovative. You can imagine the same thing with real time cut scenes à la Uncharted, and it would change nothing at all. The fact it is live action doesn't add a thing, except for Remedy to be able to call it 'tv'. It's just cutscènes.

Case in point; the show is not fit to be watched without the game. You would probably understand jack shit of it all if you just watched the show. Hence, it is just long cutscenes between acts.

And that is withouth taking the quality of the show into account. Which some reviewers seem to like, but I found awfull. It's bad game-dialogue and story, but filmed live action.

The scores are nowhere near where I thought they would be, but that is only because of many people predicting 90+ Metacritic Scores etc. I guess I let other Gaffers "predictions" somewhat condition me to what these scores would be.

Sounds like it is exactly what many people thought and said it was, a great game, but a short somewhat linear game.

Top Bottom