• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio wave bursts detected from roughly 3 billion light years away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or the creators of the signal are now closer than we thought.
1habhZ3.jpg
The Hellstar is upon us!
Hellstar_6084.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It would be funny if this was a bunch of alien teenagers messing around.

"Dude look at this underdeveloped planet"

"Haha, I bet they would totally freak if we sent a message to them"

"Isn't that like, illegal?"

"Just do it. What are you, a loser?"

*Enters S U P L O L in morse code, hits send*

pestul

A long time ago in a galaxy far,
far away....

It's crazy to think that an entire advanced civilization could have existed and been eradicated before we even had meaningful life on this planet.

far away....

It's crazy to think that an entire advanced civilization could have existed and been eradicated before we even had meaningful life on this planet.
And I think it would be the most amazing thing to discover something like that. Kinda like if aliens pick up that golden record thing with music and coordinates to earth we sent out into space way back when. They find it and come to earth and find nothing but robot dinosaurs.

Then whats the point of SETI

We'll never know if aliens send us signals since they dont speak english

Are you American? You could run for Congress on that platform.

far away....

Given the age of the universe, it's likely to have happened numerous times.

And I think it would be the most amazing thing to discover something like that. Kinda like if aliens pick up that golden record thing with music and coordinates to earth we sent out into space way back when. They find it and come to earth and find nothing but robot dinosaurs.

We will have given them the most badass theme park and archaeological site in one place.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Too bad they won't understand the significance of the arrow

As of 2010 we had discovered about 1,800 neutron stars. I'm assuming that number is plenty higher now. I'm just wondering why if this was to be a neutron star, why it would be doing this when others aren't? You would think that it would have been observed by this point by one of the many other stars.

Which is why I find this fascinating. A neutron star is the probably the best candidate for an explaination at this point. I wonder if there is some other type of star we just have not discovered yet. Its still probably aliens though.

Think about this

What if intelligent civilization exists only 1 per galaxy. That would mean there are 2+ trillion ETs out there ....only problem is we'll never be able to communicate with each other and/or see if the other exists

Think about this

What if intelligent civilization exists only 1 per galaxy. That would mean there are 2+ trillion ETs out there ....only problem is we'll never be able to communicate with each other and/or see if the other exists

Not true. When Andromeda blows through the Milky Way we can wave hello.

Media

As of 2010 we had discovered about 1,800 neutron stars. I'm assuming that number is plenty higher now. I'm just wondering why if this was to be a neutron star, why it would be doing this when others aren't? You would think that it would have been observed by this point by one of the many other stars.

Which is why I find this fascinating. A neutron star is the probably the best candidate for an explaination at this point. I wonder if there is some other type of star we just have not discovered yet. Its still probably aliens though.

If I'm correct, it might just be that it's the only one in the right position to hit us with the signal.

The universe and time are a circle, it's us from the far future sending out an SOS to any intelligent species that can help fight off the super predator species.

If I'm correct, it might just be that it's the only one in the right position to hit us with the signal.
You maybe thinking of a pulsar/neutron star that emits a beam of electromagnetic radiation in one direction (well 2). I dont think this is the same thing. I could be wrong though.

Edit: pulsars emit a beam as they rotate/pulse and the beam can only be observed when its pointed toward earth. Quasars shoot out a giant beam in one direction from a supermassive black hole.

M3d10n

This is what always blows me away when it comes to space. Looking through windows of the past.

And that's the only information we can get from those far away places. We have no idea of their current state, except for extrapolating their trajectories and the estimated lifespan of each star.

Termina could very well have eaten most of them and we won't know until it's too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom