• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio wave bursts detected from roughly 3 billion light years away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Imagine getting a voicemail on your phone and then looking to see who it was and it's your great great grandmother asking you to get some milk at the corner store. All you can do at this point is determine what her voice sounded like and that she probably drank milk.

Volimar

Allein means alone in German :p

YXUyOav.gif

sphinx

the piano man
I have a problem understaing "Radio wave"

I mean, what objects created by nature can send radio waves? I though only human-made objects were known to send them.

(forgive my ignorance on the matter.)

Vena

I mean, what objects created by nature can send radio waves? I though only human-made objects were known to send them.

Radio wave is just a part of the electromagnetic spectrum that is defined by a certain "radio frequency". Radio waves are just EM waves with frequencies 10^4 to 10^12 Hz. No reason why this range of emission would be sacrosanct to humans or even intelligence, no more than any other range. We just happen to use that range a lot and saturate it.

You see sources of natural radio waves whenever it thunderstorms and you see lightning, for instance.

The radio is named after "radio waves", not the other way around, therefore it's natural. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum

It's just part of the electromagnetic spectrum, just like light (which is visible to us) or stuff like infrared light or microwaves.

One could say radio is sort of a "general physical description", electromagnetic radiation that fall within a specific frequency range. We had to discover them before we got the idea to use them for communication. All sort of celestial bodies generate them in nature.

edit: beaten

Alanood

Not only that... you're not thinking 4th dimensionally.
Such a great post, I really hope we will have access to the 4th dimension someday, hopefully in my lifetime.

even if it was somehow aliens they have been dead since before life went Multicellular on Earth.
If it was intelligent life, they probably went extent over 2 billion years ago.
You know humans, we really are the last of us.

Sooooo you're telling me there's a chance!?

No, but this is the same site that had people instantly believing in Dyson spheres being built by aliens, so wouldn't be surprised if you're not alone.

Aliens will blow us to pieces, the perfect ending to 2016

Hopefully just you.

It could be god signaling for us to look that way for something. The James Webb telescope is being launched soon. Maybe its a sign?

Can't tell if joking or not...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Lmao.

Wait, is this serious....?

The telescope is complete and being tested rigorously for the next two years before launching and will then need reach its final destination and set itself up. So its close but there is still a wait and even after its launches its going to have a lot that could go wrong.

sphinx

the piano man
God doesn't exist, so being specific about how someone would perceive a god doesn't really change my reaction to that guy.

wait, one thing is the whole narravite of religions, which most likely is bullshit (Maria, the baby boy or Budda or whatever deities there "exist")

from that to claiming "nothing created anything you see", that's a huge leap.

science says one single event created our universe, that in itself should at the very least raise questions.

I am serious when I say the big bang is very very suspicious. It sounds like a deliberate move by someone or something to fuck around with us, to hide the origin of our existence from us.

even if the Big bang just happened by chance then that is "God", a God is a creator, not some peacebringer and such.

even if the Big bang just happened by chance then that is "God", a God is a creator, not some peacebringer and such.
The definition of God is a supreme being, there's nothing supreme about an explosion of atoms that expanded into the universe.

If there is a God then he's either obviously an asshole or just can't relate to us. Maybe Thanos acquired the infinity gauntlet and we're meant to serve under him.

sphinx

the piano man
The definition of God is a supreme being, there's nothing supreme about an explosion of atoms that expanded into the universe.

If there is a God then he's either obviously an asshole or just can't relate to us. Maybe Thanos acquired the infinity gauntlet and we're meant to serve under him.

how do you explain "supreme" in this context? what do you mean with that word?

how do you explain "supreme" in this context? what do you mean with that word?
Like how you order a Taco Supreme at Taco Bell there's sour cream and diced tomatoes that isn't in the Crunchy Taco. Where's the sour cream and diced tomatoes in the Big Bang? It's not there, it doesn't count as a God.

This is Gaf. Let me break it down for you.

1. There were no radio wave bursts
2. If there were radio wave bursts, it was a distant reflection of earth's concoction
3. There is no such thing as life on another planet, unless a Netflix documentary confirms it, and Obama Hillary and Kanye agree it's real. Only then is it acceptable to gaf

Lev

3 billion light years? I wonder how much distortion by red shift the signal has experienced.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Aliens will blow us to pieces, the perfect ending to 2016

fuck it, at this point, bring it on

Like how you order a Taco Supreme at Taco Bell there's sour cream and diced tomatoes that isn't in the Crunchy Taco. Where's the sour cream and diced tomatoes in the Big Bang? It's not there, it doesn't count as a God.

You could be a neo-nazi lizard person IRL and I'd still love you for this analogy

Banned
So it's like a continuous radio broadcast? Like a space station? From the auriga system.

We are not alone.

:p

Read another article about it. Huehue

The most tantalising possibility is that the source of the bursts might be a who, not a what. If none of the natural explanations pan out, their paper concludes, “An artificial source (human or non-human) must be considered.”

If the result holds up, says Hippke, “there is something really interesting we need to understand. This will either be new physics, like a new kind of pulsar, or, in the end, if we can exclude everything else, an ET.”

Hippke is cautious, but notes that remote possibilities are still possibilities. “When you set out to search for something new,” he says, “you might find something unexpected.”
Link

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
For all the "why would advanced aliens..." reverse anthropomorphization we do, there's also no reason to assume that aliens wouldn't be stupid assholes like us...and blast their Dark Forest location at full volume three billion years ago.

They also "think" its extragalactic. It may be coming from inside our own milky way galaxy but apparently the source of the bursts can be no more than a few hundred KMs in diameter. Thats why they think it could be a pulsar or whatever.

At this point it just appears to be extragalactic. It may be a lot closer.

Theory from my ass: The reason they think its extragalactic is because they cant see any pulsars in the milky way so assume its coming from another galaxy in the direction of the bursts but its actually not that far away and its coming from a distress signal on a derelict ancient spaceship full of xenomorphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom