• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 |OT| of no auto shotguns

Dama

Banned
oh man, i got the game tonight and im really disappointed.

im a huge rs fan but vegas 2 feels so slow/slugish.

graphics are the same as in vegas 1 but after playing cod4 and halo3 where everything feels outdated.

it took me a while to get the controls down but after a while i got used to them.

the game alos lags a lot. same netcode as vegas1.

Everdred

Dama said:

graphics are the same as in vegas 1 but after playing cod4 and halo3 where everything feels outdated.

it took me a while to get the controls down but after a while i got used to them.

Where'd you manage to get the game from? I never had any lag issues with Vegas 1 so hopefully this won't be a problem for me.

Also, OP is updated with Gamertags to this point.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
The MLG Convention center map is a bonus map only? Which retailers are giving out codes for this map? I have my copy pre-ordered at GameStop.

Awntawn

Kydd BlaZe said:
IGN review is up:

8.4'd
8.2'd for PS3

IGN said:
There also seem to be more instances of the framerate slowing down, sometimes to a crawl. A symptom that is exacerbated on the PS3 where textures and effects are already not up to the 360's standard. One feather that can be placed in the hat of Vegas 2 is that the environments are more interactive than they were before. Glass can be blown out of entire floors of buildings and certain environment set pieces can be impressively blown to bits.
Grrr, this but my Live Gold subscription is expiring in less than a month >.>

What to do ;'(

kbear

Disappointing review from IGN... the PS3 version sounds a lot worse
There also seem to be more instances of the framerate slowing down, sometimes to a crawl. A symptom that is exacerbated on the PS3 where textures and effects are already not up to the 360's standard.
ugh

Also, the co-op sounds dreadful:

Co-op, on the other hand, is another ball of wax. Ubisoft Montreal did some good. It put in the cutscenes, mission briefings, and tutorials that were missing in the first game. It's all downhill from there. The changes made to the co-op gameplay were poorly implemented. Campaign co-op was shrunk from four players down to two. But you are still joined by two AI teammates. Only the host player is able to issue commands, leaving the second player as nothing more than a hired gun. Player two is instead forced to sit idly by as the first player orders teammates around and completes objectives in the level. And if the host goes down, your AI teammates have no one to tell them what to do until he respawns. Why in the hell can't the second player feel like more of a part of the storyline? And why only two players for campaign when you can still have four-player co-op in Terrorist Hunt?
unacceptable

VALIS

Dama said:

That actually sounds great to me. Rainbow Six should be slow and methodical and not run and gun like Halo or CoD.

Nizz

kbear said:
Disappointing review from IGN... the PS3 version sounds a lot worse

ugh

Also, the co-op sounds dreadful:

unacceptable
God damn, this is dissapointing. All the BS about how they were working hard to make sure the PS3 and 360 versions were identical. And yet there still are worse textures in the PS3 version, and there are still problems with framerate? I'm sorry, I gave Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt on the first RS:V's performance due to system newness. They seriously need to get on the f'ing ball with PS3 development. Matter of fact, I'll just go and trade in my copy of RS:V 1 and just use that towards the Metal Gear Essential collection I have pre-ordered. Pure BS, Ubisoft...

Zer0

Banned
fps fanatic said:
God damn, this is dissapointing. All the BS about how they were working hard to make sure the PS3 and 360 versions were identical. And yet there still are worse textures in the PS3 version, and there are still problems with framerate? I'm sorry, I gave Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt on the first RS:V's performance due to system newness. They seriously need to get on the f'ing ball with PS3 development. Matter of fact, I'll just go and trade in my copy of RS:V 1 and just use that towards the Metal Gear Essential collection I have pre-ordered. Pure BS, Ubisoft...

there is a lot of problems of framerate on the 360 version of vegas2 too,at least on coop

painey

Picked up the game today (360) early with Sega Superstars Tennis. It plays almost identically to R6V1 but with incredible frame rate drops at ridiculous times. Im up to a level where you are on your own and I keep dying because it aint easy playing on your lonesome.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bleh at these impressions. I think I'm going to hold off for now just b/c I'm going to be busy with SSBB, Condemned 2, and HSG5.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have been kinda of undecided about this game from the get go. I had fun with Vegas 1. Several of my friends getting so I may be as well. I need to check out more impressions and reviews.

painey

PS it read my Vegas 1 save and ranked me up 2 levels which I thought was pretty swish. Its enjoyable on the whole, just really nothing new. It feels like a full price expansion pack.

painey said:
Picked up the game today (360) early with Sega Superstars Tennis. It plays almost identically to R6V1 but with incredible frame rate drops at ridiculous times. Im up to a level where you are on your own and I keep dying because it aint easy playing on your lonesome.

What about framerate in mp?

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
I'm somewhat concerned now. Is the framerate actually bad or is it just GAF getting out of hand?

Claymore

Dama said:

Damn that doesnt sound good, was really hyped for this baby. Well gonna try it out myself though but with caution.

my only question is does the ps3 version give you an option to adjust the lighting? vegas 1 was very dark and there was no way to adjust the brightness..

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
TGateKeeper said:
my only question is does the ps3 version give you an option to adjust the lighting? vegas 1 was very dark and there was no way to adjust the brightness..
Oh god this annoyed the shit out of me, i had to adjust the brightness on my tv by 25%, just for Vegas, nothing else.

madmook

QVT said:
I'm somewhat concerned now. Is the framerate actually bad or is it just GAF getting out of hand?
I watched the IGN video review, and the guy says there are moments where the framerate dips, especially during firefights and explosions, and the video definitely showed some of that chugging. I wonder if they reviewed the retail copy or an early review build...

Treo360

painey said:
:lol

Geez, I hope it's not that Oil refinery!

I'm stuck there too. Playing this on realistic is no walk in the park. I couldn't tell you how many times that sniper got me before I found his location.

As for FR drops, there are some and they happen at weird times too. Oh I take back my previous comment about it not having bad texture pop-in. It does have it, and bad sometimes too.

gillty

Banned
So I've had this game since Friday, and have PLAYED ALOT . Love the game so far, I'm stuck at the oil refinery. I just got done pulling an all nighter online.
I'm already at Sergeant Major, and have 115,000 xp. I'm one rank from Warrant Officer, and I should be able to get Second Lieutenant by Tommorrow, btw elite is at 400,000xp :D

To those who have it, anyone in the Houston, TX area know a store who has it today? And also, is it possible that a GS could get their shipment today?

I can't wait!

gillty

Banned
MrCompletely said:
If multiplayer is smooth, I'm in....

The Kotaku review offers a nice perspective, i encourage you to read it if you're on the fence.
Multiplayer is very smooth, no texture drop in. IMO the best improvement they made was to vegas was the limited sprint button.

Valru said:
So I've had this game since Friday, and have PLAYED ALOT . Love the game so far, I'm stuck at the oil refinery. I just got done pulling an all nighter online.
I'm already at Sergeant Major, and have 115,000 xp. I'm one rank from Warrant Officer, and I should be able to get Second Lieutenant by Tommorrow, btw elite is at 400,000xp :D
So how does it compare to the first one? Actually can you just convince me that this isn't just an expansion with a big price tag? I want to like this one but I'm still undecided.

MrCompletely said:
If multiplayer is smooth, I'm in....

The Kotaku review offers a nice perspective, i encourage you to read it if you're on the fence.
Can someone maybe post the text of the review here? My work blocks Kotaku.

Treo360

The Lamonster said:
So how does it compare to the first one? Actually can you just convince me that this isn't just an expansion with a big price tag? I want to like this one but I'm still undecided.

Can someone maybe post the text of the review here? My work blocks Kotaku.

To me this is just a high priced expansion. I'll say it again as I've said before, the improvements made are minor. If the fact that sprinting is a standout feature, then RB6 has failed. Bullet penetration in a joke, there is a reason that you've seen people hiding behind those boxes on those PR release shots.

Unless the wall is 1mm thin your bullets won't go through them. Crates seem to be filled with solid steel, as firing through them is a lost cause. Netcode is the same as that of the first.

After playing through some T-Hunt, the enemies still magically spawn on top of you. Still don't know if there's that much of a difference in Armor values.

Oh, if you thought realistic was hard in the first (I didn't) wait until you play this on a lonewolf mission.

Worth $60? No, not at all, but hey, role the dice as this is Vegas baby.

Treo360

g35twinturbo said:
yeah....I think I may pass on this one.

I was really looking forward to it but no mas

Rent it, just don't buy it. If you liked the first (which I did) you'll appreciate this one, besides don't you want to see how the story ends?:lol

gillty

Banned
The Lamonster said:
The fact is if you liked vegas, you'll like vegas 2. The core gameplay of vegas is still here, infact the only main addition to gameplay was the sprint button (online its a big deal). The campaign is all new, but I can't say there is a vast change. Online terms theres a bunch of new maps, armor, weapons, skins, terrorist hunt, and coop (haven't tried). The way the ranking works has also changed, ACES are the new way unlocking weapons through kills. For different kinds of kills you get points towards 3 trees of weapons. The three tress are Long Range, Close Quarters, and Assault. Shots like headshots or shooting from behind will earn more points.

This game could be considered an expansion, but I'll use an example of why it can cost the same as a full game (not saying it should). If you played Company of Heroes, you know about the standalone Opposing Fronts expansion which could be considered an a full game. It has its own campaign, armies, but its core gameplay is the same with some excellent improvements. Vegas 2 is the the same thing, in the end its the better game and you'll enjoy it, I enjoy the game so for me its worth the $60.

EDIT: zam reminded me that Black Arrow was $30. Vegas2 is exactly like those games, it should had been $40.

Valru said:
The fact is if you liked vegas, you'll like vegas 2. The core gameplay of vegas is still here, infact the only main addition to gameplay was the sprint button (online its a big deal). The campaign is all new, but I can't say there is a vast change. Online terms theres a bunch of new maps, armor, weapons, skins, terrorist hunt, and coop (haven't tried). The way the ranking works has also changed, ACES are the new way unlocking weapons through kills. For different kinds of kills you get points towards 3 trees of weapons. The three tress are Long Range, Close Quarters, and Assault. Shots like headshots or shooting from behind will earn more points.

This game could be considered an expansion, but I'll use an example of why it can cost the same as a full game (not saying it should). If you played Company of Heroes, you know about the standalone Opposing Fronts expansion which could be considered an a full game. It has its own campaign, armies, but its core gameplay is the same with some excellent improvements. Vegas 2 is the the same thing, in the end its the better game and you'll enjoy it, I enjoy the game so for me its worth the $60.
Awesome, thanks. My only concern now is that if I get it, I'll never pick up the original again!

Geoff9920

Treo360 said:
To me this is just a high priced expansion. I'll say it again as I've said before, the improvements made are minor. If the fact that sprinting is a standout feature, then RB6 has failed. Bullet penetration in a joke, there is a reason that you've seen people hiding behind those boxes on those PR release shots.

Unless the wall is 1mm thin your bullets won't go through them. Crates seem to be filled with solid steel, as firing through them is a lost cause. Netcode is the same as that of the first.

After playing through some T-Hunt, the enemies still magically spawn on top of you. Still don't know if there's that much of a difference in Armor values.

Oh, if you thought realistic was hard in the first (I didn't) wait until you play this on a lonewolf mission.

Worth $60? No, not at all, but hey, role the dice as this is Vegas baby.
That's disappointing to hear. I think I'll have to cancel my preorder and move this one to rental status. Thanks, treo.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Treo360 said:
Rent it, just don't buy it. If you liked the first (which I did) you'll appreciate this one, besides don't you want to see how the story ends?:lol

Hell nah!

:lol

I only played the first one for MP

zam

Valru said:
Yet last-gen there were several expansions from Ubisoft that were priced at $30. Ghost Recon : Island Thunder, Rainbow Six: Black Arrow, Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike to name a few.

Got the game today and it feels and looks exactly the same as the first Vegas. The only thing that is new is a sprint button, new weapons and the ability to shoot through walls.

Plus all the stuff that they have fixed in MP was stuff that wasn't even supposed to be in the first game and should have been fixed immediately with a patch ("Oh sorry the lobby is full so you two can't switch teams, you're going to have to leave and join again.").

The game is fun but I just don't feel that should be called a sequel, and I agree with Treo360, I don't feel that it is $60 worth of new stuff.

And unfortunately this game doesn't stack up to well compared to CoD4. Vegas 1 was fun and all but that was over a year ago, since then I've played CoD4 and then popping in Vegas 2 felt like I was back over a year ago, only it was less fun since I've experienced CoD4. They could've at least put in matchmaking, not the same old tired lobby/server system UbiSoft uses in all their multiplayer.

Quazar

Damn Zam doesn't like it either. Looks like I might just save my money. Any other promising FPS coming out in next couple months?

Just got done with about 3 hours of MP (ps3). Its R6V1 with sprint and a few small tweaks.. totally unimpressed. PS3 version ran like total shit.

Sigh, Im thinking that all my 3rd party games are going to have to be on 360.

Just not worth rolling the dice (no pun intended) to see if 3rd party developers finally 'understand' the PS3

This makes the CoD4 map pack seem like the best deal in gaming.

gillty

Banned
zam said:
Yet last-gen there were several expansions from Ubisoft that were priced at $30. Ghost Recon : Island Thunder, Rainbow Six: Black Arrow, Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike to name a few.

Got the game today and it feels and looks exactly the same as the first Vegas. The only thing that is new is a sprint button, new weapons and the ability to shoot through walls.

Plus all the stuff that they have fixed in MP was stuff that wasn't even supposed to be in the first game and should have been fixed immediately with a patch ("Oh sorry the lobby is full so you two can't switch teams, you're going to have to leave and join again.").

The game is fun but I just don't feel that should be called a sequel, and I agree with Treo360, I don't feel that it is $60 worth of new stuff.

And unfortunately this game doesn't stack up to well compared to CoD4. Vegas 1 was fun and all but that was over a year ago, since then I've played CoD4 and then popping in Vegas 2 felt like I was back over a year ago, only it was less fun since I've experienced CoD4. They could've at least put in matchmaking, not the same old tired lobby/server system UbiSoft uses in all their multiplayer.
I totally forgot about Black Arrow and Island Thunder from last gen. Vegas2 is exactly like those games, it should had been $40.

Top Bottom