• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 |OT| of no auto shotguns

Valru said:
I totally forgot about Black Arrow and Island Thunder from last gen. Vegas2 is exactly like those games, it should had been $40.

$29.99 and I'd still pass.

Its just an inferrior game to CoD4 in all accounts. Unless you just HAVE to play something different just to... well play something different, your just wasting your time.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I don't know well-know this is, but for anyone who has/gets R6V2 on PS3 or 360 can get a Comcast-exclusive map titled 'Comcast Event'.

Just go to 'Extras' in the game menu and type in 'Comcast Faster'.

Sorry if this is mold

DuckRacer

Quazar said:
Damn Zam doesn't like it either. Looks like I might just save my money. Any other promising FPS coming out in next couple months?
BF: Bad Company.

I'm starting to get worried myself... I'll be getting the game on Thursday so I'll give my impressions then.

gillty

Banned
NarcissisticJay said:
$29.99 and I'd still pass.

Its just an inferrior game to CoD4 in all accounts. Unless you just HAVE to play something different just to... well play something different, your just wasting your time.
I'm already done with CoD4 (I play it on the pc, and yes i have rank 55 and all the golden guns) I find the gameplay uninteresting I only play it when my gaming group needs someone to scrim with for the CoD4 team. Rainbow Six Vegas is a different and much more enjoyable experience for me.

Wow. The game got 9.5 in EGM too I believe. These replies about Vegas are pretty bad. I may have to rethink my purchase I was gonna make today. I'm not one for paying full price for minimal expanions (Madden). My friend had my copy of RS:V1 for about 5 months and I just got it back from him to sell for credit towards part 2. I may just play through V1 again but on on realistic mode (or whatever it's called) if there really is no difference from graphics and gameplay for the sequel. This game may have been officially bumped down to Gamefly status for me, if I pretty much already own it by owning the first one.

My $60 is now aimed at Dark Sector, but I need a demo first.

Dark Octave said:
Wow. The game got 9.5 in EGM too I believe. These replies about Vegas are pretty bad. I may have to rethink my purchase I was gonna make today. I'm not one for paying full price for minimal expanions (Madden). My friend had my copy of RS:V1 for about 5 months and I just got it back from him to sell for credit towards part 2. I may just play through V1 again but on on realistic mode (or whatever it's called) if there really is no difference from graphics and gameplay for the sequel. This game may have been officially bumped down to Gamefly status for me, if I pretty much already own it by owning the first one.

My $60 is now aimed at Dark Sector, but I need a demo first.

Vegas 2> dark sector guranteed

Robert R1

Banned
For those with a fry's in the area, it's suppose to be up for $40 on thursday starting at 5pm. For $40, yes gaf, it's worth it and you'll learn to love it. Over and over and over.

FreshOne

Felix Lighter said:
I don't believe this has been reviewed by EGM yet. It would be reviewed under the new letter grade system as well. Maybe I missed it.
Agreed. Ziff writers are probably just now getting their copies with the rest of us, since Ubisoft hates their guts and stuff.

Felix Lighter said:
I don't believe this has been reviewed by EGM yet. It would be reviewed under the new letter grade system as well. Maybe I missed it.
Your right. It had to be Game Informer then. Those are the only two game magazines I come in contact with.

madmook

The GI review was 9.25 and 9.5 for the second opinion.

Anyways, the reports of bad framerates are starting to piss me off. Aren't developers supposed to get BETTER with optimization as time goes by? Leave it to Ubi to release buggy games... but alas I have no choice, I must hunt some tangos.

madmook said:

Anyways, the reports of bad framerates are starting to piss me off. Aren't developers supposed to get BETTER with optimization as time goes by? Leave it to Ubi to release buggy games... but alas I have no choice, I must hunt some tangos.

I think this must be done by the "B team"

zam

Quazar said:
Damn Zam doesn't like it either. Looks like I might just save my money. Any other promising FPS coming out in next couple months?
I like it but it feels the same as the first one and $60 feels like too much for this game (if I wasn't working I wouldn't have picked it up), and right now I pretty much see myself going back to CoD4 when I'm done with this game.

Treo360

Geoff9920 said:
For the 360 version, is the framerate similar or worse than the first game?

It feels smoother, however I haven't played the original in a while. MP is smoother, and better looking than the first.

zam said:
I like it but it feels the same as the first one and $60 feels like too much for this game (if I wasn't working I wouldn't have picked it up), and right now I pretty much see myself going back to CoD4 when I'm done with this game.

Same, I'm not even trying to get into the MP aspect of it. Like another FPS before it (resistance) I'm just going through the motions until it's done.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
zam said:
Fry's has it for 40$...just get an ad and price match it then to CC or Target or something

Nizz

NarcissisticJay said:
Just got done with about 3 hours of MP (ps3). Its R6V1 with sprint and a few small tweaks.. totally unimpressed. PS3 version ran like total shit.

Sigh, Im thinking that all my 3rd party games are going to have to be on 360.

Just not worth rolling the dice (no pun intended) to see if 3rd party developers finally 'understand' the PS3

This makes the CoD4 map pack seem like the best deal in gaming.
Sorry you bit the bullet and got this on PS3. Believe me, as having only a PS3, I find these impressions of the game dissapointing. :( I was actually thinking of picking this one up, but I think I'll pass. Besides, Condemned 2 for PS3 is out this week, and again, depending on impressions of the PS3 version *crosses fingers* I'll pick that up instead. You would think by now most 3rd party devs have a handle on PS3 development. Especially after what IW pulled off with COD 4...

bjscott05

I guess I'll wait for a few more impressions on PS3 multiplayer to decide if I pick this up or not. I really wanted a new game to enjoy with my PS3 friends over Spring Break (not going anywhere).

Domino Theory said:
I don't know well-know this is, but for anyone who has/gets R6V2 on PS3 or 360 can get a Comcast-exclusive map titled 'Comcast Event'.

Is this the MLG convention center map, or is this another bonus map... anyone know?

EazyB

Banned
Considering how many hours I sank into the first, $40 for this game is fine. It's too bad PS3 owners get another crappy iteration though.

Zer0

Banned
madmook said:

maybe im wrong,but some days ago i have read a interview with the ubi guys and they said they sacrified visual quality for framerate?

the game looks worse than vegas 1 on the campaing mode and have framerate problems.its easy to see ubi have done almost nothing with this "sequel"

Sounds like this one needed some more time in the oven. Not that we haven't already known that for months mind you. I will probably pick up the 360 version eventually but it won't be high on my list.

Zer0

Banned
Treo360 said:
It feels smoother, however I haven't played the original in a while. MP is smoother, and better looking than the first.

yup mp looks a (just a bit) better ( but have serious texture pop in at the start of the match) but at the expense of single player looking like the mp

btw the capture your face with the 360 camera is worse this time,i dont know why but in the past vegas i got excellent results,now the faces are very extrange and creepy (and if u put ur face u cant use almost any cap or glasses like the first one)

h3ro

Screenshot comparison @ Videogamer.com, shots taken with RGB Full/Black Level set to Expanded on PS3/360:

http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/18-03-2008-342-5.html

Pretty similar, but there is WAY too much black crush going on in the 360 shot, these guys need to recalibrate their sets, the only differences I'm spotting is some slight less detailed textures here and there in the PS3 version. All the lighting differences are due to poor calibration and settings.

Example of the black crush and the amount of detail, check out the Server Towers in the back of the room:

vsmarch18rb6v2large04.jpg

Another example:

vsmarch18rb6v2large06.jpg

The shots are almost useless since the settings are off IMO. Anyone with experience in calibrating sets care to chime in?

Zer0 said:
maybe im wrong,but some days ago i have read a interview with the ubi guys and they said they sacrified visual quality for framerate?

the game looks worse than vegas 1 on the campaing mode and have framerate problems.its easy to see ubi have done almost nothing with this "sequel"
Yeah, I think it was that same GI magazine that gave them a 9.5/9.25 that said it. I dunno man. $40 at Fry's is a good deal. But if there is no difference in looks or game play, and the framerate in story mode actually looks worse, like you are saying, why bother. There is still T-Hunt and realistic mode I haven't done yet in the first game. I'm not big on online play anyway.

Hmmm...$40 is nice... But I could also put that $40 towards something else...What should I do...

Zer0

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Yeah, I think it was that same GI magazine that gave them a 9.5/9.25 that said it. I dunno man. $40 at Fry's is a good deal. But if there is no difference in looks or game play, and the framerate in story mode actually looks worse, like you are saying, why bother. There is still T-Hunt and realistic mode I haven't done yet in the first game. I'm not big on online play anyway.

Hmmm...$40 is nice... But I could also put that $40 towards something else...What should I do...

40 bucks is a fair price,the mp side of the game is still very fun,but i spend a countless hours on the first game and the sensation on "been there done that" its too strong,also the 2 player campaing coop is inexcusable

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sounds like a winner. If this is the kind of nitpicking the OB and turned out better then I will be upset. Either way I heard these same things about VEGAS 1/PS3 and it never hampered gameplay.

LiquidMetal14

Concept17 said:
Picking this up for PS3. Such 'framerate problems' are often overblown in every regard.
Indeed. After all the bickering over OB and having played that myself, I take it all with a grain of salt.

Zer0 said:
40 bucks is a fair price,the mp side of the game is still very fun,but i spend a countless hours on the first game and the sensation on "been there done that" its too strong,also the 2 player campaing coop is inexcusable
Inexcusable? Something wrong with the 2 player co-op?

Zer0

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Inexcusable? Something wrong with the 2 player co-op?

yeah...the first have 4 player coop

and there is no reason to not have 4 in this,u will have 4 operatives on screen,you,your coop friend and two more guys,and u stil have to direct these two guys,the second player does nothing

pswii60

h3ro said:
Pretty similar, but there is WAY too much black crush going on in the 360 shot, these guys need to recalibrate their sets, the only differences I'm spotting is some slight less detailed textures here and there in the PS3 version. All the lighting differences are due to poor calibration and settings.
From my experience: 360's Black Level set to Intermediate = PS3's set to RGB Full.

360's Expanded goes an additional step further and it shows in these shots. Too much contrast. Best setting it to Standard (or Intermediate if your LCD doesn't have black level compensation.)

LiquidMetal14 said:
Indeed. After all the bickering over OB and having played that myself, I take it all with a grain of salt.

The Water zone really didnt bother you... at all?

Maybe I just look for these things, but the frame rate was for sure noticeable on the PS3 OB and even more so (and with worse timing) on R6V2

LiquidMetal14

NarcissisticJay said:
The Water zone really didnt bother you... at all?

Maybe I just look for these things, but the frame rate was for sure noticeable on the PS3 OB and even more so (and with worse timing) on R6V2
2 instances it did bother me. Otherwise everything was solid.

painey

Just beat the single player campaign. Its ok, with the exception of the "solo" level, although most maps are re-done levels from the last rainbow 6 game. The story was piss weak however, and there was absolutely no clarification of the "to be continued" ending from the first game.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I've played it for a couple of hours so far. Feels and looks pretty much like the last one. It could easily be sold as an expansion. Whether you see that as a good or a bad thing is up to you.

I've only experienced a bad drop in framerate once so far. But that time it was pretty bad.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I'm on a X360.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
MrCompletely said:
so, in the first game, you can play through the story campaign with 4 players?

I had no idea.....

It was essentially Terrorist Hunt using full Campagin maps. The story elements were cut out. No dialogue. It was.... awkward.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Just talked to my co-op partner. We will skip this iteration and wait for it to be sub $30. I don't like to support this recycled levels/location like GRAW2 before it.

Goreomedy said:
It was essentially Terrorist Hunt using full Campagin maps. The story elements were cut out. No dialogue. It was.... awkward.

oooh, okay...

Is it the same way in Vegas2, or is it the actual genuine story mode campaign ?

Domino Theory said:

any of your lucky suckers who have this try this out? is it the MLG map, or something else?

madmook

painey said:
Just beat the single player campaign. Its ok, with the exception of the "solo" level, although most maps are re-done levels from the last rainbow 6 game. The story was piss weak however, and there was absolutely no clarification of the "to be continued" ending from the first game.
The devs have stated in numerous interviews and whatnot that the story from Vegas1 would be concluded and everything would be tied up.... are you saying that's not the case? Is there another cliffhanger?

Raide

madmook said:
The devs have stated in numerous interviews and whatnot that the story from Vegas1 would be concluded and everything would be tied up.... are you saying that's not the case? Is there another cliffhanger?

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is the last Rainbow game to be in Vegas. Consider Vegas pretty much done with now as the developers move onto more interesting places to get shot.

Zer0 said:
yeah...the first have 4 player coop

and there is no reason to not have 4 in this,u will have 4 operatives on screen,you,your coop friend and two more guys,and u stil have to direct these two guys,the second player does nothing
With every new post the value of this game dies more and more.

Top Bottom