• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 |OT| of no auto shotguns

Treo360

WTF??? Are you fucking serious UBI? It's no fucking wonder why the Rainbow series has gone down the fucking drain. I mean I tolerated the Halo health regen from the first one, and the shitty cover system in multiplayer, but a
Vehicle boss fight? Are you fucking serious? Really serious? Glad I borrowed this one.

Kingpen

TimeLike said:
I swear I read in an interview recently that he said the game was an hour longer than its predecessor. Hmmmmmmmmmm........

I read the same thing and got my hopes sky high. Hearing that you can finish 25 missions at 15 minutes apiece means it is 6 hours. That is crap and is lame...

Treo360

Kingpen said:
wow, from the Eurogamer review...

'Lasting just seven 'acts' (over 25 scenes each lasting about 10-15 minutes), the single-player campaign is woefully short-lived. Putting the game on at 10am on a leisurely Sunday morning, I'd finished the whole thing before my belly started rumbling for an evening meal - and that's factoring in numerous breaks for snacks, IM chats and idle net-browsing. Your mileage will vary related to difficulty level and your ability to nail terrorists, but the ongoing trend for shorter single-player experiences in blockbuster releases is blatantly in evidence here, with six hours likely to be the average first run-through for most.'

I'm seriously considering not picking this up tomorrow now.... I said I would not pay full price for a short GRAW2 type of game again. The developer sounds like he blatently lied about the content and length in an interview he had last week...

Oh no buddy, it will last you a long time if you play this on realistic. You know, with all the cheap death from the fucking MK.23 (don't get me started on the scout tactical .500's) crowd and all that seem to have Superman's eagle eyesight, not to mention how all of them have fucking ESP and know exactly when you're about to pop out of cover, and the bullet hits you before you even fully let go of the right trigger.

The reviewer played this on easy or normal, else I'm just weaksauce, heck I considered the last one kinda easy. This one though . . .lol I don't want to beat it anymore. I want to make this my bitch. This is my Moby Dick, and I'll be damned if this full priced add-on is going to break me!

lol /meltdown

P.s be prepared to hear I going to shoot you in the face, and Lima Oscar Lima, and Why aren't you fucking dead, over and over and over.

calder

Assembly Required said:
.. So the PS3 version is a 'No Fly Zone'?

.. if so, that's very disappointing. I pre-ordered my copy yesterday.
I'm not sure what you mean by that, I'm really enjoying it. As long as you don't think it'll be a big upgrade over Vegas 1 you should be fine, it *is* an improved port in most ways, it's just not a very big improvement and it's partially undone by the blatant rehashing of this "sequel". I haven't noticed the framerate being bad yet, but I'm only through the second act.

Zep

Banned
How is the recoil on guns? I hope they didn't make sissify the pistols...Loved using them in Vegas 1

calder said:
I'm not sure what you mean by that, I'm really enjoying it. As long as you don't think it'll be a big upgrade over Vegas 1 you should be fine, it *is* an improved port in most ways, it's just not a very big improvement and it's partially undone by the blatant rehashing of this "sequel". I haven't noticed the framerate being bad yet, but I'm only through the second act.

Oh sorry, allow me to rephrase.. So the PS3 version is gimped once again? Is the framerate solid? Visuals up to par? Worth buying?

purg3

slept with Malkin
strange_booj said:
TAR-21 assault rifle
Hold RB and press Down(2), Up(2), X, B, X, B, Y, Up(2), Y while customizing your character's guns and clothing.

Comcast Event multi-player map
Select the "Extras" option at the main menu. Select the "Comcast Gift" option, then enter Comcast Faster as a password to unlock the "Comcast Event" multi-player map.

Prequel bonus
Have a saved game file from Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas with an "Elite rank". When starting a new game in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 you will be given 2,500 experience points, the ballistic face mask, and flight helmet.

Thanks. Hell yeah, I can gets my tar right from the beginning too.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Assembly Required said:
Oh sorry, allow me to rephrase.. So the PS3 version is gimped once again? Is the framerate solid? Visuals up to par? Worth buying?
No, it's not. I just played up through act 4 and have only noticed minor frame rate drops. Usually it's when there's an explosion and more than 5 guys on screen at once. I also played awhile in coop, which worked just fine. You can have friends (or join with your friends) in story mode seamlessly, even if you're playing single player.

Concept17

belvedere said:
No, it's not. I just played up through act 4 and have only noticed minor frame rate drops. Usually it's when there's an explosion and more than 5 guys on screen at once. I also played awhile in coop, which worked just fine. You can have friends (or join with your friends) in story mode seamlessly, even if you're playing single player.

This is about what I expect. Unfortunatly 90% of people will blow this out of proportion and say its horrendous in comparison.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Slowdown is acceptable during explosions and stuff. It happens. As long as it isn't a stuttering thing then I don't care and neither should you.

I want a USB device that gives me a hand job ericccc. That just makes you wonder what an amazing pack in a yellow fleshlight would have been with the Simpsons game :lol

Eric WK

QVT said:
Slowdown is acceptable during explosions and stuff. It happens. As long as it isn't a stuttering thing then I don't care and neither should you.

I want a USB device that gives me a hand job ericccc. That just makes you wonder what an amazing pack in a yellow fleshlight would have been with the Simpsons game :lol

With Homer's mouth as the point of entry. It'd be perfect!

Treo360 said:
WTF??? but a
Vehicle boss fight? Are you fucking serious? Really serious? Glad I borrowed this one.
:lol :lol :lol

No fucking way Treo, I refuse to accept this.:lol :lol Epic fail UBI, epic.

Everdred

Maybe when I get home I'll see what the player counts are for Raven Shield and save me some money. :lol I LOVE the weapon customization for that game.

It's been over 2 years since I played it so its probably all just fond memories.

Treo360

SNUG REVOL said:
:lol :lol :lol

No fucking way Treo, I refuse to accept this.:lol :lol Epic fail UBI, epic.

Dude it's fucking Stupid and I'm going to spoiler the end at the end of this spoiler too

Attack helicopter at that, you don't take it out per se, however you have to get it to "radio in" for reinforcements by shooting at it, meanwhile you're getting shot at, grenades being tossed on you all while the Helo is shooting at you too. Then it launches these mini fucking nukes at you that you can only evade by going to the other side of the stage (which is a Tennis Court btw) and then rinse and repeat (2 x's )

Finally they let you run to a cabana/Tennis house for cover where it takes Torres nearly a minute to establish a sam lock (they really need to update their weaponry if it takes a same that long to lock on) and again there are waves of enemies running out like angry army ants. Finally Joanna gains a lock and the Helo goes down.

Result?

A long drawn out cutscene where Gabe is all fucking Emo'd out saying how Bishop never let him do anything the he [Gabe] was a fuck up that never got a chance to prove himself. That the whole affair was just revenge on Rainbow, he just wanted to get back at them. Now all this time he's waving a Glock around and Bish is just standing there listening to all the crap when finally you are allowed to shoot him.

You then get promoted to Director of Rainbow 6

Fucking lame:lol

Treo360 said:
Dude it's fucking Stupid and I'm going to spoiler the end at the end of this spoiler too

Attack helicopter at that, you don't take it out per se, however you have to get it to "radio in" for reinforcements by shooting at it, meanwhile you're getting shot at, grenades being tossed on you all while the Helo is shooting at you too. Then it launches these mini fucking nukes at you that you can only evade by going to the other side of the stage (which is a Tennis Court btw) and then rinse and repeat (2 x's )

Finally they let you run to a cabana/Tennis house for cover where it takes Torres nearly a minute to establish a sam lock (they really need to update their weaponry if it takes a same that long to lock on) and again there are waves of enemies running out like angry army ants. Finally Joanna gains a lock and the Helo goes down.

Result?

A long drawn out cutscene where Gabe is all fucking Emo'd out saying how Bishop never let him do anything the he [Gabe] was a fuck up that never got a chance to prove himself. That the whole affair was just revenge on Rainbow, he just wanted to get back at them. Now all this time he's waving a Glock around and Bish is just standing there listening to all the crap when finally you are allowed to shoot him.

You then get promoted to Director of Rainbow 6

Fucking lame:lol

Just read all that....................Ho-ly....shit.:

lol @
the emo gabe scene, wow

They hired(and paid) a guy to write that? Pathetic. -1 sale.

I respect your opinion on shooters Treo, thanks again for the impressions.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Kingpen said:

'Lasting just seven 'acts' (over 25 scenes each lasting about 10-15 minutes), the single-player campaign is woefully short-lived. Putting the game on at 10am on a leisurely Sunday morning, I'd finished the whole thing before my belly started rumbling for an evening meal - and that's factoring in numerous breaks for snacks, IM chats and idle net-browsing. Your mileage will vary related to difficulty level and your ability to nail terrorists, but the ongoing trend for shorter single-player experiences in blockbuster releases is blatantly in evidence here, with six hours likely to be the average first run-through for most.'

'Worse, screen-tearing issues are still rampant, and texturing is often alarmingly bland.'

I'm seriously considering not picking this up tomorrow now.... I said I would not pay full price for a short GRAW2 type of game again. The developer sounds like he blatently lied about the content and length in an interview he had last week...

To be fair, he did like the game inspite of the flaws and it being more of an expansion.

I'm on arc three or four now and I've definitely put in more than 3-4 hours to that. Maybe I just suck, but I've died a whole bunch of times (playing on normal) just by random frag grenades I haven't spotted or snipers or shotgun kills. If you play on realistic I'm betting it's gonna go even slower to progress in the game.

Bought this yesterday; played for 9 straight hours. F'n awesome SP experience. The amped up AI is much more fun to battle this time around.

100_0254.jpg

100_0256.jpg

100_0257.jpg

I spent hours yesterday debating whether or not to pick this one up. Finally, I relented and popped into the mall after work. Hit EB and got the old 'Oh, we only have enough for preorders' routine....

Gah...

ChrisD84

Got mine in the post this morning (360 version) and played a few rounds of mp. Yes it's basically a prettier r6v with sprint, but hey, i loved r6v so..:D The new maps i played seemed cool, and the XP/ACES system seems like a nice improvement to the way you level up and unlock new items.

Performance seemed fine in the games i've played so far too.

Zer0

Banned
Raide said:
The leader (Bishop) gives the orders to the A.I team, the second player (Knight) is free to do what he wants. Is it the games fault the second player cannot be bothered to do anything or listen to his leader? How about using Knight for recon and making multiple point entries on the level? You don't need to use the A.I to do everything. The co-op is all about playing co-op and working together to do things, if a player cannot figure that out, go play singleplayer.

that is a poor excuse for a gimped coop mode,4 players its the way

Total Conquest, old raven shield maps, better designed maps, sprint = awesome game. The ranking system is much better as well, the server options are awesome, being able to customize your character in a server is awesome. This is a VASTLY improved mp game if you ask me. Everything about mp is so much better than the first.

Eric WK

Broadbandito said:
Total Conquest, old raven shield maps, better designed maps, sprint = awesome game. The ranking system is much better as well, the server options are awesome, being able to customize your character in a server is awesome. This is a VASTLY improved mp game if you ask me. Everything about mp is so much better than the first.

Awesome.

SUPREME1

Banned
Broadbandito said:

The Gametrailers HD vid and posts like yours have really enraged my game boner.

Time to buck!

dork

Banned
I'm hosting some games right now. I need people to join

dorkimoe is my gamertag.

I have no restrictions on, because restrictions are poop?

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Edit that before you get banned. Gaf does not tolerate intolerance.

Also fuck EB as I've just called and it's still not in yet. This is Mickey Mouse shit. They only get away with it because people preorder stuff there.

Treo360

dork said:
I'm hosting some games right now. I need people to join

dorkimoe is my gamertag.

I have no restrictions on, because restrictions are poop

Friendly fire on? If so then I'm there as it's the only way to play.

Edited to save Dork from himself

dork

Banned
QVT said:
Edit that before you get banned. Gaf does not tolerate intolerance.

Also fuck EB as I've just called and it's still not in yet. This is Mickey Mouse shit. They only get away with it because people preorder stuff there.

The eb i used to work at didnt get shipments until like 3 in the afternoon, but the one across the road got them at 11am.

Thanks treo, :). I can turn FF on if you still want to play. Nobody ever joins my games so its empty right now, I was just warming up on some team leader though. Great mode

gillty

Banned
TGateKeeper said:
this game is a big ass let down.. anyone else having trouble connecting to games??
let me guess, PS3? I always buy multiplayer games for 360(well pc if its better) instead of my ps3 its sad.

WTH, I just started the game and it gave me the XP and items for having Elite status or finishing the game on Realistic, I didn't do either of those in Vegas 1 and lovingly I got hit by the bug where you don't get the first rank achievement as your levelled past it, woo!

More games need to do this though (working obviously), recognise players who have played other games in the series, its a minor thing, but it makes it cool that it remembered you.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Was able to score this today for $30. Enjoying it so far. I'm really liking the A.C.E.S. upgrade system as well. Not really concerned about length since it will probably take me 12 or more hours to complete since I'm not that good at these types of games.

From IGN's review:

Vegas 2 is designed to be more tactical, but no one told your two AI teammates. Too often that you'll be skillfully maneuvering through pieces of cover, picking off hapless enemies, only to have these two nimrods wander out into the open and get gunned down. Granted sometimes they're actual assets in battle, but the AI is usually more of a headache than a help. The same goes for enemy intelligence which, for whatever reason, can't recognize when my character is sitting four feet to the left with my crosshairs placed squarely on his noggin. Oh, and for those that are wondering, the same tactical map exploit of being able to scan deeper into the environment than should be possible is still in the game.

Why in the fucking hell can't this fucking company seem to get friendly A.I. to work in these fucking games? I mean, god damn it, it's a team based tactical shooter, yet friendly A.I. seems to be at the absolute bottom of Ubi's list of priorities.

Kingpen said:

'Worse, screen-tearing issues are still rampant, and texturing is often alarmingly bland.'

So, it is, in fact, a glorified expansion pack? Surprise surprise.

Top Bottom