• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapist gets 6 months because prison sentence would have a severe impact on him

Status
Not open for further replies.
That article didn't really answer my questions, but it lead me to a couple answers on the Twitter of this Michelle Dauber:

So we presume it was addressed to the court, and was in the record prior to sentence. Seems it was after verdict, tho(?).

Correct. The verdict was on May 31 and the sentencing on June 2. The father read the letter during the sentencing. Here is a copy of the full letter.

Brakke

Banned
Ahh thanks. The full letter is a bit less of a catastrophe. He at least says "[his son] has expressed true remorse for his actions that night". Still, basically weak. "My son's family loves him" shouldn't be persuasive; lots of convicts' families love them.

I wonder why he thinks anyone cares that his kid's scholarship was for sixty per cent? Maybe he was just being proud / boastful? Overall, dude sounds like a scared, desperate dad.

... guilty without doubt and only 6 months? such bullshit.

and the father could have worded his statement about ~1,000,000 other ways to not sound completely unsympathetic to the victim, regardless if he believes his son or not.

Ahh thanks. The full letter is a bit less of a catastrophe. He at least says "[his son] has expressed true remorse for his actions that night". Still, basically weak. "My son's family loves him" shouldn't be persuasive; lots of convicts' families love them.

I wonder why he thinks anyone cares that his kid's scholarship was for sixty per cent? Maybe he was just being proud / boastful? Overall, dude sounds like a scared, desperate dad.

The rapist expressed "remorse" for his actions of drinking and engaging in something "promiscuous". The rapist is not sorry for raping her, because he doesn't think he did, because he's an unrepentant rapist.

From the Victims' letter

I told the probation officer I do not want Brock to rot away in prison. I did not say he does not deserve to be behind bars. The probation officer’s recommendation of a year or less in county jail is a soft time­out, a mockery of the seriousness of his assaults, an insult to me and all women. It gives the message that a stranger can be inside you without proper consent and he will receive less than what has been defined as the minimum sentence. Probation should be denied. I also told the probation officer that what I truly wanted was for Brock to get it, to understand and admit to his wrongdoing.
Unfortunately, after reading the defendant’s report, I am severely disappointed and feel that he has failed to exhibit sincere remorse or responsibility for his conduct. I fully respected his right to a trial, but even after twelve jurors unanimously convicted him guilty of three felonies, all he has admitted to doing is ingesting alcohol. Someone who cannot take full accountability for his actions does not deserve a mitigating sentence. It is deeply offensive that he would try and dilute rape with a suggestion of “promiscuity”. By definition rape is not the absence of promiscuity, rape is the absence of consent, and it perturbs me deeply that he can’t even see that distinction.

He expressed remorse for his actions of drinking and engaging in something "promiscuous". He's not sorry for raping her, because he doesn't think he did.

Yeah, it's pretty absurd. While US prisons aren't exactly a shining beacon of rehabilitation, you can't even pretend to rehabilitate somebody who doesn't even understand their crime in the span of 3-6 months.

Yeah, it's pretty absurd. While US prisons aren't exactly a shining beacon of rehabilitation, you can't even pretend to rehabilitate somebody who doesn't even understand their crime in the span of 3-6 months.

They're not even going to try. I'm pretty sure the Judge believes the rapist isn't a rapist either, he just can't overturn a jury verdict so he's doing the best he can to let him off light.

I mean unless the Judge thinks the rapist who doesn't admit to being a rapist isn't in danger of being rapist again in the future, which is nuts.

So the only conclusion is that the judge doesn't think the rapist is a rapist and probably wishes he could just let the rapist go scott free, but alas jury system.

This case is basically rape culture 101, even when a rape victim wins in court, the rapist still wins.

Hes not been convicted of rape, unless I've read it wrong, why are they calling him a rapist?

I can download the pdf of the police report for my phone, don't know what to do.

Edit: the sentence does seem light, he is a registered sex offender for life.

I mean the Judge thinks the rapist who doesn't admit to being a rapist isn't in danger f being rapist again in the future, which is nuts.

I'm shooting from the hip here, but I think the nuance of alcohol-involved rape makes it more likely it'll be perpetrated again, because the morality of the crime isn't as obvious to the rapist. Most rape is alcohol-related, and most rape is committed by the same minority of men by some of the reports I've read. Without meaningful recourse, it's not hard for me to see this guy becoming a part of that group.

Hes not been convicted of rape, unless I've read it wrong, why are they calling him a rapist?
Kind of. The more serious charges were dropped, but loosely speaking "sexual penetration of an unconscious woman" is still something I'd categorize in the rape spectrum. These are the dropped charges:

• rape of an intoxicated person
  • rape of an unconscious person

And these are the ones he was found guilty of:

• sexual penetration of an intoxicated woman
  • sexual penetration of an unconscious woman
  • assault with intent to commit rape

It's not really surprising that the first two were dropped because they are more difficult to prove he actually inserted his piece. The latter charges still carry a hefty enough sentence if the judge wields it correctly.

I'm shooting from the hip here, but I think the nuance of alcohol-involved rape makes it more likely it'll be perpetrated again, because the morality of the crime isn't as obvious to the rapist. Most rape is alcohol-related, and most rape is committed by the same minority of men by some of the reports I've read. Without meaningful recourse, it's not hard for me to see this guy becoming a part of that group.

I'd debate that most rape is alcohol related, but I definitely think this kid will get drunk and rape again.

I can download the pdf of the police report for my phone, don't know what to do.

He raped her with his fingers and only didn't get further because of the Swedes who saved the victim from him.

liquidtmd

Banned
From the victims letter

all he has admitted to doing is ingesting alcohol. Someone who cannot take full accountability for his actions does not deserve a mitigating sentence. It is deeply offensive that he would try and dilute rape with a suggestion of “promiscuity”. By definition rape is not the absence of promiscuity, rape is the absence of consent, and it perturbs me deeply that he can’t even see that distinction.

Yup, my take away.

And his dad thinks this guy would be good to go round and raise awareness of the dangers of alcohol, promiscuity (but not rape) on the college circuit?

No. Just no.

DedValve

Banned
Damn,

Is there an app that alerts you of nearby sex offenders? I feel like everyone should definitely have that and hopefully women around him so we don't get another victim.

Rape isn't about sex, its about feeling powerful. He did it once. The chances of him doing it again are astronomically higher.

well looks like pretty boy gonna be someone's bitch in jail
and that fucking letter really tell you how fuck up that family is, jeeez

From the victims letter

Yup, my take away.

And his dad thinks this guy would be good to go round and raise awareness of the dangers of alcohol, promiscuity (but not rape) on the college circuit?

No. Just no.

His Dad probably thinks he should be paid for his talk tour as well lol

olympia

I'm so tired of people bringing this up. Is it really a stretch to consider what he did to be rape? For some fucking reason CA penal code does not define forcible penetration with a foreign object to be rape, even if other groups and the fucking FBI does consider it to be rape.

I find it very ironic that the article starts with an intro about the rapist being a former athlete and ends with the victim saying that media shouldn't be focusing on his being an ex-athlete.

The woman also criticized media coverage that highlighted Turner’s swimming abilities and athletic ambitions. “The fact that Brock was an athlete at a private university should not be seen as an entitlement to leniency.”

Oh Guardian. When will you learn. :p

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
i am not usually a proponent of "prison justice," but if this guys gets harmed by other prisoners in his ridiculously short 6 months, I for one will not feel bad.

berzeli

Banned
Brock Turner’s Childhood Friend Blames His Felony Sexual-Assault Conviction on Political Correctness
I don’t think it’s fair to base the fate of the next ten + years of his life on the decision of a girl who doesn’t remember anything but the amount she drank to press charges against him. I am not blaming her directly for this, because that isn’t right. But where do we draw the line and stop worrying about being politically correct every second of the day and see that rape on campuses isn’t always because people are rapists.
I'm not going to act like a shithead. But.

And you might think to yourself, can this human garbage say anything worse?
Yes. Because of course.
This is completely different from a woman getting kidnapped and raped as she is walking to her car in a parking lot. That is a rapist. These are not rapists. These are idiot boys and girls having too much to drink and not being aware of their surroundings and having clouded judgement.
This is just so vile.
Your friend is a rapist. He raped someone. That is what rapist means.

harSon

Banned
Brock Turner’s Childhood Friend Blames His Felony Sexual-Assault Conviction on Political Correctness

Yes. Because of course.

This is just so vile.

But where do we draw the line and stop worrying about being politically correct every second of the day and see that rape on campuses isn’t always because people are rapists.

Come again?

On CNN their reading the young women's statement and it's destroying me right now.

The last paragraph is a testament to the her bravery and strength. She, the survivor, anonymous as she is, is due nothing less than high admiration, respect, and support. To have endured through the trial (in and out of court) and come out saying that she wants to help others is awe inspiring.

I'm not sure why most of you are acting like this is some big travesty, you have been giving white dudes the leway to this for decades with no consequence. Why did you think it would start here?

liquidtmd

Banned
I am not blaming her directly for this, because that isn’t right. But where do we draw the line and stop worrying about being politically correct

You're not blaming her directly for your friend climbing on top and raping her??

Well that's good of you.

DedValve

Banned
Come again?

Not all people who rape are rapists but all rapists rape not all people who rape all rapists are rapists rape.

Makes more sense?

Its the logic of the truly privileged, self-absorbed ignorant who cannot comprehend punishment or consequences on such a serious scale.

Its a good thing he's not blaming her directly for her being raped. He's only blaming her secondarily.

Wow fuck the judge and the rapist. I can't even imagine what the victim and her family are going through reading all of these statements.

His father is a piece of shit too.

Edit: His friend too. No wonder he thinks he did nothing wrong. 6 months is not enough

kirblar

I'm not sure why most of you are acting like this is some big travesty, you have been giving white dudes the leway to this for decades with no consequence. Why did you think it would start here?
The unambiguous circumstances, ridiculous sentence, and incredibly well-written letter are causing this to blow out. It also is getting through to people it normally wouldn't. (Sadly, as we can see, not everyone though.)

Tigress

Well, it has to start somewhere, right? Or would you prefer the world never improve and stay as shitty as ever?

Oh and the friend's latter is a perfect example of rape culture. It's not rape because it just is guys being guys, they can't control themselves (when under alchohol). But she drank so much she blacked out (shouldn't she have not done that?). Rape is only strangers who attack you. It's not innocent guys who just had a little too much to drink or guys who just got a little out of control. It's not their fault. They have no control. The victim shouldn't tempt them or do things where she (or he) can't stop them. Shouldn't the victim have some responsibility for making it hard for them to resist?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Yes. Because of course.

This is just so vile.

Holy fuck.

You know that Breaking Bad, "He can't keep getting away with this!" .gif everyone loves? That's literally us every time a white male gets let off 100x more easily than anyone else would've.

It won't start "here" or "there", because our justice system was founded upon it, born from it.

PSqueak

Banned
Rapist swimmer gets a slap in wrist for his awful act, as to not "impact his life".

Meanwhile, that guy who had consensual sex with a girl who lied about her age, whose legal guardian (the girl's mother) didn't want to press rape charges gets sent to prison and listed as a sex offender "because he must be made an example".

What the fuck.

I hope that she sues him for everything he's worth.

Yes. Because of course.

This is just so vile.

So for instance, killing a person because you were driving drunk isn't vehicular manslaughter, it's just someone being stupid and drunk

But yeah, I'll just twist the headline to mean "political correctness forced my friend to rape women"

CTLance

Goddammit. The defenders of that jackass are terrible human beings.

I mean, with the dad I can at least understand it on an emotional level, kinda, which parent would not fall onto a sword for their offspring. He did a terrible job of it for sure and it sheds light on why his kid did what he did, but still, it's one of those situations where I'm even willing to forego angrily disputing an obviously terrible comment. Barely.

But that friend, and those other comments... fucking hell, humanity. You needn't throw your friend under the bus, but hot damn, don't do it in a way that makes him, and you, look worse.

Ugh, it's 8 in the morning and I feel like going back to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom