• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reconstructed resolutions shouldn’t be called the same as native resolutions

This topic comes from another thread, but i think this discussion would be interesting.

If a 4K reconstructed resolution from 840p is not the same as 4K reconstructed resolution from 1440p (examples), or the AMD tech is not the same as Nvidia tech, AI, etc etc… If they are too many variables and too many results. Why is called as simple as 4K?, like it was a native resolution, a simplification that only benefits one side with marketing and the buyer’s doesn’t get a clear information on the product. I think that something like that should be regulated to prevent false advertising and prevent confusion. Something like 1440p(R) or 4K(R) should work, a la 1080p and 1080i.

Do you think it should be regulated?

Akuji

Sure, i dont mind. But its also not needed in any way. Either u dont care anyway or you are informed.

What exactly is the problem here and what game even advertises 4k output on console that doesnt even have it ? All i ever come across are vague Statements. But maybe i just havent given 2 shits and ignored it?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Pretty sure these companies would rather not draw unnecessary attention to the actual difference
no gain for them to continually remind the end user of the distinction and if parity is achieved I see
no real harm in it.

JimboJones

I think reconstruction is just a given at this point, I remember they used to advertise the resolution on the back of game boxes but it was just referring to the video signal more than the actual internal resolution of games.
So there has been always some level of upscaling going on for years reconstruction is just a more advanced way of doing things.

Last edited:
But nobody is calling it native when it's reconstructed.

If you're running a game at 4k with DLSS Quality for example, you're not going to call it native 4k, it will simply be 4k dlss quality.
In places like this no, but in the real world they don’t know the difference’s because they were not informed by the brands. Also if you check sites dedicated to this topic they start ditching the word reconstructed and calling it plain 4K.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They aren't ... no one is calling them that ?

Can we clamp down on these reactionary threads that could just as easily be a post in one of the dozen topics already lol.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Do you think it should be regulated?
Yeah, we should start handing out jail sentences to people who mislead with pixels.

Forest Whitaker Laughing GIF

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why confuse non-technically minded people with this bullshit?

Seriously, we can all tell whether something looks sharp or blurry! The more we split hairs on the techniques being employed to make the image the way it is, the less useful the info gets.

Why confuse non-technically minded people with this bullshit?

Seriously, we can all tell whether something looks sharp or blurry! The more we split hairs on the techniques being employed to make the image the way it is, the less useful the info gets.
Because power is an important selling point for companies… Buyers should be informed.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
A clear information in the box is not going to hurt… What’s wrong with that?

99% of game developers don't reveal the internal resolutions of their games and we have to rely on sources like DF, VGTech etc to get that.

What makes you think they're even going to entertain the idea of mentioning that a game is using reconstruction on the box?

Stop thinking about native resolutions, they are meaningless and a waste of resources, DLSS 3.0 can take 720p and make it look as good if not better than native 4k at times. As we see DLSS/XESS/PSSR/AMD's FSR replacement improve we will see a big leap in the effects used because we can use ML Upscalers to increase IQ to better than native, at that point why would you care?

Topher

Gold Member
Because power is an important selling point for companies… Buyers should be informed.

If buyers want to be informed then they can be. This is not information that is being withheld or hidden from the public. This is what outlets like DF are for. This is a non-issue.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
So more information is bad for us… Ok then 😂.
Do you wanna start including technical papers inside the box too? After all, more info is never bad, right?

Mate, most people don't even know what resolution is. When Apple does their keynote to address those dumbshit millennial Starbucks drinkers, they always accompany better resolution with what it actually does. "The new iPhone has x resolution, resulting in cleaner and sharper pictures and videos." You cannot just slap "PSSR" on the box and call it a day because people wouldn't know what the fuck it is, and even if you told them what is upscaling, they would ask you how the hell it works, and even if you did explain it, most wouldn't understand. Plus, the base resolution varies by game, so you can't just put the information on the box.

As such, they only tell you the output resolution. It's scaled to go on a 4K screen even though it doesn't have 3840x2160 pixels.

Also, yes, useless information is bad.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
The options to turn on these upscalers are well marked in the game's options.
And asides from Intel, Quality, balanced and performance mode, refer to the same base resolution.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I agree if you can notice some compromises but if they are virtually the same, then who cares.

The thing is, dlss can look sharper than native, but sometimes can have some ghosting or small problems, so it's game per game basis.

RCX

DLSS is good enough that I really dont see it. The benefit of lower power draw of upscaling lower res to 4K seems like a great thing.

I think we've moved beyond raw resolutions. The only real question is: does it look good?

Last edited:

tmlDan

yea, not sure i agree, if its up to almost the same quality/visual standard it shouldn't matter to the general consumer whether its native or not.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think it's just about communication and open honest conversations. Even a little "our ML up scaling will delivery a 4k/60FPS output that looks almost identical, and in some situations can look better than a native 4k output"

Something along those lines.

hinch7

Nah way too much technical jargon and potential confusion for the average consumer and gamer. PSSR is better than FSR and from what I can see; current inhouse TAA solutions with their own engines. Thats all Sony has to advertise.

Most people won't care and select performance modes for 60fps and that'll be all. Or if they care more for eyecandy and raytracing fidelity.

Last edited:
In some cases it actually looks better than native with better performance as well. It's the end result that counts, not pixel counting.

Last edited:
I honestly don't care. If one day you can get 1080p to look identical to 4k, then it doesn't matter. Infact, it might be better for PS6 games to target 1080p because then patch tracing could be possible across all games. One of the reasons fidelity has slowed down is because every generation there is also an increase in res so that extra power goes in large part to just having a higher resolution. If the PS7 only needed to target 1080p, you might have CGI level visuals.

Stop thinking about native resolutions, they are meaningless and a waste of resources, DLSS 3.0 can take 720p and make it look as good if not better than native 4k at times. As we see DLSS/XESS/PSSR/AMD's FSR replacement improve we will see a big leap in the effects used because we can use ML Upscalers to increase IQ to better than native, at that point why would you care?

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Can I have some of whatever GAF is smoking if DLSS Ultra Performance looks even remotely close to native 4K

Problem for whom though? No one should expect native 4K from modern releases. Eventually we’ll be at the point where the fps will have to be enhanced just to achieve 60fps.
When an average buyers read 4K in a box, assume all games are going to be 4K… Not every buyers is part of neogaf or follow DF… A clear information ins the box is not going to hurt.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
No one is. We are just realistic in our expectations and the more advancements happen, the more we accept it.

I'm all in for it. Do your research and be happy for tech/SW advancements.

Kikorin

In past (and still these days) we had "dynamic resolution" or "1080p dynamic", like if your game can handle 1080p at least for a second when you watch the blue sky, it is enough to have the marker good for marketing purpose. But tbh 90% of costumers have no idea about all of that and couldn't care less if is native 4K or reconstructed, and people who care already know the difference, so I guess is fine as it is.

Xyphie

This is already a solved problem. Everyone just refers to it as e.g. "1440p DLSS Quality" in the PC space. That contains all the information you need to know what the base resolution, the resolution scale and output resolution are. Of course, even better than calling it "Quality" would be "DLSS 0.67x", "DLSS 2/3" or whatever.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
When an average buyers read 4K in a box, assume all games are going to be 4K… Not every buyers is part of neogaf or follow DF… A clear information ins the box is not going to hurt.

The average buyer doesn’t give a crap. They have more important shit to care about.
Only the hardcore fanbase splits hairs over this stuff.

Top Bottom