• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reconstructed resolutions shouldn’t be called the same as native resolutions

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Yes… 4K reconstructed from 840p is better than 4K native 👍 You are a good example on why people needs more information about this…
It is better if it runs better isn't it? I mean if native 4k is 20 FPS and something like 4k (1080_DLSS3.1) runs at 60 FPS and looks almost as good then it is better.

DragonNCM

Yeah my daughters & other 200 million gamers care about "native" or "reconstructed" 4K image & RT.
If it looks good & plays good WHO FUCKING CARE !!! ( except "WE DO" here on GAF)

King Dazzar

I partially get the OP's point. There's a problem with calling everything 4k, when in reality it could be anything as a base being upscaled/reconstructed with varying degrees of fidelity. But until they come out with a better way of quantifying image fidelity, then marketing will always just say its 4k. Which is a bit naughty.

If you're into your tech. Then you're going to look deeper. But it can be a problem. Because I've played some low base resolution games, but with excellent reconstruction, which look great at 4k. But then I've played some higher base resolution stuff, which looks awful. So sometimes even when you get a tech deep dive, you still wont know for sure how nice its going to look, until you've got your own eyes on.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yup, all this upscaling tech has made the info we get from dev literally useless
"The game will be 1440p/60fps" means nothing anymore because it can be anything from proper 1440p/60 to upscaled 720p at 40fps with frame gen.

At least DLSS is pretty good and hopefully so will PSSR. But FSR, which is what we mostly get on consoles right now, sucks ass.

Yoboman

Or maybe this just shows how unimportant resolution numbers are. We are well past the point where image quality is just tied to resolution and with AI upscaling becoming the norm rather than the exception it will make resolution figures even more meaningless

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yeah my daughters & other 200 million gamers care about "native" or "reconstructed" 4K image & RT.
If it looks good & plays good WHO FUCKING CARE !!! ( except "WE DO" here on GAF)
Your daughters & other 200 million gamers can ignore the specs.

Last edited:

I really don't care. Panasonic 50" plasma still doing the business here. Rather devs focused on effects and fps.

But OP is right. At the end of the day. Merchants should say what they are selling.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Do you think it should be regulated?
The real question is - what are you actually proposing to regulate?
Since PS2 generation - games have performed various stages of the rendering pipeline at various resolutions (usually lower than video-output) so 'rendering resolution' has not been a single-metric for over 2 decades. This only amplified in PS360 era, and by the time PS4/XB1 launched - the concept lost most meaning.
We briefly brought it back to attention during VR revival of 2016 (where a lot of modern rendering techniques were rolled back/removed, and pixel resolution dominated for awhile again) but on 'flat' games, things have only gotten more muddied with each passing year.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive after decades of pixel counting - but really - take for example the most obvious challenge to your call for 'regulation':
812Vv+e3YTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

When running on PS4Pro - the game pixel-counts to a perfect 4k - edges are precisely 4k grid aligned, no temporal shenanigans there, and no artifacts. Yet - the game actually only shades 1/4th of the samples - ie. it's still a 1080p game when you consider the compute workload.
So how do you regulate this? Is it 4k? The geometry, depth and all the 'regular' pixel metrics are there.
Is it 1080p? It's not reconstructing anything either - nor is it checkerboarding, hell there's not even a TAA component in there IIRC.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
All this FUD about DLSS/PSSR/etc.. yet I'm 100% certain that the vast majority of you wouldn't be able to point out which one's native and which one's upscaled if you had a blind comparison.

Are we going to see more details on dic*s? Owerwithse it's fucked and useless...I wanna see dic*s moving at 4K with very high details at 60 fps or even more 😏 on the Pro for the next Witcher game or get lost!

ap_puff

Reconstruction is one of the worst thing that happened to video-games in recent years.
Nah, I think lazy devs will always be lazy, and/or have unreasonable timelines placed on them by management. Any technique will be used as a crutch to shorten dev times.

JimboJones

The real question is - what are you actually proposing to regulate?
Since PS2 generation - games have performed various stages of the rendering pipeline at various resolutions (usually lower than video-output) so 'rendering resolution' has not been a single-metric for over 2 decades. This only amplified in PS360 era, and by the time PS4/XB1 launched - the concept lost most meaning.
We briefly brought it back to attention during VR revival of 2016 (where a lot of modern rendering techniques were rolled back/removed, and pixel resolution dominated for awhile again) but on 'flat' games, things have only gotten more muddied with each passing year.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive after decades of pixel counting - but really - take for example the most obvious challenge to your call for 'regulation':
812Vv+e3YTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

When running on PS4Pro - the game pixel-counts to a perfect 4k - edges are precisely 4k grid aligned, no temporal shenanigans there, and no artifacts. Yet - the game actually only shades 1/4th of the samples - ie. it's still a 1080p game when you consider the compute workload.
So how do you regulate this? Is it 4k? The geometry, depth and all the 'regular' pixel metrics are there.
Is it 1080p? It's not reconstructing anything either - nor is it checkerboarding, hell there's not even a TAA component in there IIRC.
That's not even considering all the games that use dynamic resolution scaling too :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Checkerboard, DLSS, PSSR and whatever else should be called fake 4k.

But since that's not going to happen, they shouldn't be allowed to advertise with 4k at all or at least say non native 4k.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It’s not about price… Is about information. And why are some of you are against more information? I don’t get it.
There's nothing wrong with having more information, but expecting regulation to force disclosure is kind of stupid. The information is of no value. The only thing you can do with it is accept it or not accept it, and if you choose not to accept it you might as well quit buying new games unless you're going to keep a top of the line continually upgraded PC forever. AI upscaling from lower resolutions isn't going anywhere anytime soon and it's only getting better, so developers are going to continue using it to get the best performance they can.

FeralEcho

Sure, i dont mind. But its also not needed in any way. Either u dont care anyway or you are informed.

What exactly is the problem here and what game even advertises 4k output on console that doesnt even have it ? All i ever come across are vague Statements. But maybe i just havent given 2 shits and ignored it?
My PS5 box still says 8k on it 😂 Not very vague if you outright lie on the box and remove it afterwards....

FeralEcho

Sure but this has nothing to do with the topic.

False advertising is already a Thing.
If u want. Sue sony.
Your post was about game companies always having vague statements about resolution...I gave you a direct example of one that's clearly not vague when it's literally printed on the damn box... What's so hard to understand?!

How is it not relevant to the topic when you were the one that brought it up in the first place? 😂

Akuji

Your post was about game companies always having vague statements about resolution...I gave you a direct example of one that's clearly not vague when it's literally printed on the damn box... What's so hard to understand?!

How is it not relevant to the topic when you were the one that brought it up in the first place? 😂

you know what thread were in ? try to get the context together, i believe in you.
This thread is about lying about native res or upscaled res. and having that regulated.
Also having 8k on the box is not vague, sony outright lied. Thats already regulated. It has zero relation to the topic.

This is about saying, we have 4k output! While the frame that is output is 4k, the way the frame was generated was at a lower res and then upscaled was used.
This is a discussion if we want / need to regulate it in a way that you have to advertise it as - we have upscaled 4k output!

I hope u see the diffrence.

FeralEcho

you know what thread were in ? try to get the context together, i believe in you.
This thread is about lying about native res or upscaled res. and having that regulated.
Also having 8k on the box is not vague, sony outright lied. Thats already regulated. It has zero relation to the topic.

This is about saying, we have 4k output! While the frame that is output is 4k, the way the frame was generated was at a lower res and then upscaled was used.
This is a discussion if we want / need to regulate it in a way that you have to advertise it as - we have upscaled 4k output!

I hope u see the diffrence.
Careful not to faint from all that passive agressiveness.

Akuji

Careful not to faint from all that passive agressiveness.
Uh sorry. I didnt think it was all that passive.

But since thats ur only response, i have to guess u see my point and agree, atleast to some extent.

Not really that important anyway. We probably just should call it quits.

Nontheless, i hope u have a great Rest of the week. ( and this i do mean exactly as written ;) )
Have a good one.

FeralEcho

Uh sorry. I didnt think it was all that passive.

But since thats ur only response, i have to guess u see my point and agree, atleast to some extent.

Not really that important anyway. We probably just should call it quits.

Nontheless, i hope u have a great Rest of the week. ( and this i do mean exactly as written ;) )
Have a good one.
It's all good,you too. 👍

Top Bottom