• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

quest

Not Banned from OT
"Apple $500 console" the fuck u smoking?
Sure 500 dollars with 250 worth of hardware so apple can have the big hardware margins. I don't think people know how Apple work. Also why would they dump 10's of billions on this market when they make bank on gaming already.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Courtesy of solidus12 solidus12

P6akBpl.jpg

Must be hard for Colt looking like such a dumb arse every single day

Fess

If this game does bomb, im starting to think why are so many games seeminly coming out in the state they are, is it mamagement pushing game out to quick, is it publishers forcing certain content into the games, is it the world we live in where your workforce can no longer be built with the best people for the job out there, instead filled with a diverse staff even if they cant do there job
Probably everything.
But games take longer to make now and the market scream for more games. That is a tricky scenario.

Meanwhile Playground can pump out a new Forza Horizon game in 2-3 years in a new part of the world and new whole maps and new cars and mechanics as DLC in a year, and MS barely even bothered to post on Twitter when the latest update was out. I literally had to search on the store to find the Rally update, there was nothing about it on the front page.
But at least MS aren’t stressing them with Fable, they’ve been allowed to work on that for awhile now.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Far Cry games of PS4 era are effing FutureMark benchmarks compared to Redfall visually.
Far Cry is a fair comparison and that game looks way better than Redfall.

Some random Far Cry 5 shots that I grabbed on my Xbox while playing this game 5 years ago:

43365264031_5f7eddf0c4_o.png

41556387370_35e34f0e2d_o.png
Neither supported 4 player co-op though, yeah? I'm by no means defending Redfall, just genuinely curious how many other comparisons we actually have that were fairly recent that included open world (or close to it) + 4 players, etc.

If this game does bomb, im starting to think why are so many games seeminly coming out in the state they are, is it mamagement pushing game out to quick, is it publishers forcing certain content into the games, is it the world we live in where your workforce can no longer be built with the best people for the job out there, instead filled with a diverse staff even if they cant do there job

All of the above

Just look at Justice League - nobody asked for this game

Filling these games with bloated garbage is not what gamers want, or devs. It’s like these titles get greenlit by some MBA marketing suit that has no fucking clue what works in the real world and it makes the dev process a nightmare for QA

RE4R is highly fine tuned and not filled with a bunch of crap and it sold extremely well. Do more of that please

Last edited:

XesqueVara

Sure 500 dollars with 250 worth of hardware so apple can have the big hardware margins. I don't think people know how Apple work. Also why would they dump 10's of billions on this market when they make bank on gaming already.
People thinking than Apple would enter a Business that at the start of every gen they lose money on hardware.:messenger_grinning_smiling:

GHG

Gold Member
Have you tried Halls of Torment yet?

Nope but after a quick Google I'm throwing it on the wishlist. Problem is there are so many of these vampire survivor like clones popping up its difficult to figure out which ones are genuinely worth your time.

I do know I prefer the manual aiming twin stick style ones though, hence my love for brotato. I also have 20 minutes till dawn but I'm yet to try it.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I have buddies convinced to play this tonight.

Excited to see if it’s Brink levels of bad or a surprise hit.

There’s a saying in our group where if a recommendation is a bad one and they feel like we wasted money that “you Brinked me.”

My buddy got me with master chief collection on launch . Brinked me hard.

Foilz

Banned
The sad part of this is that Arkane was developing redfall even before the MS acquisition. What the hell is up at Bethesda that they allowed this game to continue. If MS didn't acquire Bethesda this would have released in the same state

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Neither supported 4 player co-op though, yeah? I'm by no means defending Redfall, just genuinely curious how many other comparisons we actually have that were fairly recent that included open world (or close to it) + 4 players, etc.
Since when does 4 player co-op degrade the graphics/performance to this level and have so much jank?

There are far better looking MMOs out there and even CoD Warzone, etc..

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Nope but after a quick Google I'm throwing it on the wishlist. Problem is there are so many of these vampire survivor like clones popping up its difficult to figure out which ones are genuinely worth your time.

I do know I prefer the manual aiming twin stick style ones though, hence my love for brotato. I also have 20 minutes till dawn but I'm yet to try it.

The Prelude is free. :)

• Fire
Reactions: GHG

RyanEvans21

I mean, to be fair Redfall is an open-world 4-player co-op game, I wouldn't say this comparison is very accurate. Considering that alone will affect its visual milage.

I'd compare it to Borderlands 3 if anything. And whatever other open world or open world adjacent 4 player co-op games there are that I can't think of, lol.

But if you watch Redfall video, there is nothing going on in the background. Unlike Borderlands 3 or other Open World game.

bender

What time is it?
The sad part of this is that Arkane was developing redfall even before the MS acquisition. What the hell is up at Bethesda that they allowed this game to continue. If MS didn't acquire Bethesda this would have released in the same state

After Fallout 76, I don't think we should be shocked by the direction ZeniMax was pointing their development studios in.

GHG

Gold Member
But if you watch Redfall video, there is nothing going on in the background. Unlike Borderlands 3 or other Open World game.

The co-op thing is a shit excuse.

Both dying light 1 and 2 have 4 player co-op and have far more going for them in addition to not compromising the single player experience (although I'm not the biggest fan of DL2, especially when compared to the first game).

MikeM

Gold Member
I’m gonna try it for kicks but on my PC only.

Thinking around a 70 average. But the footage out there so far is limited.

Varteras

The good news is that if Arkane survive this and don't waste any more time on it then hopefully they can get back to what they do best ASAP.

I mean they already are. Making games that don't sell. Thing is, I'm not even trying to be that funny. I've always felt Arkane was overrated and Tango was underrated. Even said as much here. Got laughed at by a few fanboys. Well, between Hi-Fi Rush and Redfall...

Austin Powers Evil Laugh GIF

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-fate-of-bethesda-game-studios-2002-2020.1567787/

Bethesda got purchased because they were in trouble. No one should be expecting Starfield to come out and eclipse all modern open world games with animations like Naughty Dog or graphics like Horizon. Everyone else caught up to their open world trick.

That said, the games still have potential to be fun but you should be expecting it to be rough around the edges like a much older game.

I've never played an Arkane game, but it looks like they mostly make small, linear AA games. Here they tried a GAAS, open world, co-op game. I'm going to still give it a shot since I like vampires. I don't think Redfall is even a AAA game. I'm not sure Arkane has ever made a AAA game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So what difference did Microsoft make?

Bethesda was desperate for money, which is why they started Redfall. After the acquisition, the financial desperation was gone. It was then Microsoft's duty to ensure that the game releases only when it is fun, polished, and bug-free. And to provide Arkane more resources -- tech or devs -- if they needed to make that happen.

Elios83

Microsoft is responsible for the quality of the games they release.
Are you trying to suggest that the state this is being released doesn't count as a release under Microsoft?

Continuing to defend them on this stuff is only going to produce more of these results. The game is not ready, they know it, they decided to release it anyway because they see it as Gamepass fodder title and nothing more.

3liteDragon

I mean, to be fair Redfall is an open-world 4-player co-op game, I wouldn't say this comparison is very accurate. Considering that alone will affect its visual milage.

I'd compare it to Borderlands 3 if anything. And whatever other open world or open world adjacent 4 player co-op games there are that I can't think of, lol.
Well you could compare the Seattle Day 1 section from the game since it’s pretty much a semi open-world, but I would compare this with early-gen PS4 titles tbf. Idk how much of a difference player counts really make to visual fidelity.

Last edited:
Microsoft is responsible for the quality of the games they release.
Are you trying to suggest that the state this is being released doesn't count as a release under Microsoft?

Continuing to defend them on this stuff is only going to produce more of these results. The game is not ready, they know it, they decided to release it anyway because they see it as Gamepass fodder title and nothing more.
There is something to say for MS keeping the division between Xbox and Bethesda going. I think their plan was to keep Bethesda going as usual outside of some games being exclusive. Ultimately, that is still MS at fault, though.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-fate-of-bethesda-game-studios-2002-2020.1567787/

Bethesda got purchased because they were in trouble. No one should be expecting Starfield to come out and eclipse all modern open world games with animations like Naughty Dog or graphics like Horizon. Everyone else caught up to their open world trick.

That said, the games still have potential to be fun but you should be expecting it to be rough around the edges like a much older game.

I've never played an Arkane game, but it looks like they mostly make small, linear AA games. Here they tried a GAAS, open world, co-op game. I'm going to still give it a shot since I like vampires. I don't think Redfall is even a AAA game. I'm not sure Arkane has ever made a AAA game.
They're are first-party studios charging $70 for Redfall and Starfield, mate. We should absolutely expect Horizon like graphics and Naughty Dog like animations from those games.

Same price tag warrants the same quality of experience.

Varteras

The co-op thing is a shit excuse.

Both dying light 1 and 2 have 4 player co-op and have far more going for them in addition to not compromising the single player experience (although I'm not the biggest fan of DL2, especially when compared to the first game).

It's the same shit excuses we got with Halo Infinite. That it wasn't a visual stunner because it was open-world and they needed the framerate. Yet Forbidden West is gorgeous even on the performance mode. Redfall looks like shit even in quality mode.

Gorgon

I personally wouldn't be skeptical about ACG's review, he does great work. Especially breaking things down, describing various sections of the game, etc. After everything they've shown us, I don't doubt his review at all. Especially regarding the bugs, performance, and well, fun. To me the game just never really looked "fun" per se, nothing about it looked engaging or enough to keep your interest. A game with nothing really "new" and bloated with a WHOLE lot of been there done that. 😥

Truth be told, that describes 99% of games.

StueyDuck

I feel like this is gonna be one of those games where gamers go absolutely mental and make the biggest deal about it being the worst thing ever of all time...

Then you actually play it with a couple of friends and it's like 🤷‍♂️... I'm having fun. Not sure why I should be so mad.

Kinda like Gotham knights last year.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

You could throw out Sea of Thieves, or Grounded, or Halo Infinite, Dying Light 2, or Anthem, or even games like Fortnite or Destiny 2 or The Division or COD Warzone or others (despite them not being exact matches of what you're asking).

In the end there's really no excuse for Redfall looking as flat as it does, being limited to current-gen only, and only running at 30fps.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
They're are first-party studios charging $70 for Redfall and Starfield, mate. We should absolutely expect Horizon like graphics and Naughty Dog like animations from those games.

Same price tag warrants the same quality of experience.
You can expect that if you want. I'm sure as hell not. Furthermore, I don't even really want them to focus on that. I'd be fine if Starfield just has great writing and a lot of RPG elements.

Top Bottom