• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Watched ACG's video.

The game looks, at best, like a late PS4-era title, and that's being generous. God knows why they can't get it to run at 60fps out the gate.

I think it needs, at least, two years' worth of development.

MS are absolutely shitting the bed at the moment. This is just incompetence.
Yeah, that's way too generous. In the late PS4 era, we got games like Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales, and Horizon Forbidden West.

Nintendo scrapped everything on Metroid Prime 4 after 2 years and handed the reigns to Retro.

I’d rather seen Xbox completely scrap games like Crackdown 3 and this in order to retain some sense of QC.

Sadly it seems like Bethesda is in the same sorry state that MS studios is in

They need major changes to project management and also the green lighting process.

The only exciting thing other than Starfield (which could be a big miss) is Hi Fi Rush

Deathloop, Ghostwire, Redfall…none of it is exciting

Maybe merge some of these studios and focus on less bloated games that chase GaaS trends and just make something super focused and fun to play

diffusionx

Gold Member
Watched ACG's video.

The game looks, at best, like a late PS4-era title, and that's being generous. God knows why they can't get it to run at 60fps out the gate.

But then, the obvious question is, if this game has been in development for, I don't know, 4-5 years, and still needs much longer in development, then what the hell went wrong and is it fixable without just throwing it out and starting over? I am sure MS hoped it would come together and provide a GP title to keep people engaged but just seems a total miss.

Fess

Nintendo scrapped everything on Metroid Prime 4 after 2 years and handed the reigns to Retro.

I’d rather seen Xbox completely scrap games like Crackdown 3 and this in order to retain some sense of QC.
Yeah. They’re already swimming in money. Why send games and devs to the slaughter just to not miss a release date? Makes zero sense.

Reactions: GHG

nbkicker

If this game does bomb, im starting to think why are so many games seeminly coming out in the state they are, is it mamagement pushing game out to quick, is it publishers forcing certain content into the games, is it the world we live in where your workforce can no longer be built with the best people for the job out there, instead filled with a diverse staff even if they cant do there job

mdkirby

The early reviews are not encouraging....given I loved arcanes past games I hoped I and everyone was wrong about how it was looking, and that somewhere behind all the confusing videos there was a solid game in there for single player mode...now it'll be years until another arcane game, if they ever return to what made them great.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
As someone that plays primarily on Xbox, if this game is a disaster I honestly do think it's time to look at shaking things up at or near the top of Xbox.

It's become way too clear of a trend at this point. Halo MCC at launch, Halo Infinite, Sea of Thieves at launch, endless delays and development issues, 3rd party games not running as well as they should despite being on superior hardware on paper, the fact that they haven't released a 90+ average game outside of Forza in literally 15 years, and now potentially this.

There's an issue with leadership. Something's gotta change. Brand confidence is at the lowest it's been since 2015 or so.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Very generous.

dims.jpg
I mean, to be fair Redfall is an open-world 4-player co-op game, I wouldn't say this comparison is very accurate. Considering that alone will affect its visual milage.

I'd compare it to Borderlands 3 if anything. And whatever other open world or open world adjacent 4 player co-op games there are that I can't think of, lol.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
But then, the obvious question is, if this game has been in development for, I don't know, 4-5 years, and still needs much longer in development, then what the hell went wrong and is it fixable without just throwing it out and starting over? I am sure MS hoped it would come together and provide a GP title to keep people engaged but just seems a total miss.
GAAS, Open World. Inexperienced in both.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I see merit to both approaches. In Nintendo's case, you only get the game if you pay full price. In MS case people can play it on the sub if they want and it doesn't effect them much to try it. Hard to say which better honestly.
If there was a free Redfall 2-3 hour trial for ALL Xbox users, then I'd have agreed with you. But Game Pass is hardly used by 30% of the overall Xbox userbase. The rest of the 70% still buys games on retail.

A service that is not even used by 70% of the console population cannot be used as an excuse to release low-quality or broken games. A free trial would be much ore appropriate in this case.

Needlecrash

I feel like the game should have been delayed for another 6 months at least. It seems that if it was more polished, it'd be pretty decent. But from what I have seen so far it's anything but. A shame really. I feel like this really isn't the caliber of Arkane studios. Even though the game was ALREADY delayed, another one would have made it better.

Sadly it seems like Bethesda is in the same sorry state that MS studios is in

They need major changes to project management and also the green lighting process.

The only exciting thing other than Starfield (which could be a big miss) is Hi Fi Rush

Deathloop, Ghostwire, Redfall…none of it is exciting

Maybe merge some of these studios and focus on less bloated games that chase GaaS trends and just make something super focused and fun to play
Deathloop and Hi-Fi Rush both impressed, so both of those studios are just hit and miss I think. I think they recover if they just double down on what they are good at. Arkane can easily go back to the well for a new Dishonored. A remake or reboot of the series could actually be a good idea for the Redfall team after this mess.

Ogbert

Gold Member
I imagine all sorts could have happened. Covid, for one. Then the acquisition, so what was a multiplatform game went solo; I expect that could have punctured any momentum.

This is the fundamental problem with Gamepass or any content 'rich' service. Quality is sacrificed for quantity. The game is demonstrably not close to being ready.

Paasei

My fear is that it’s going to be yet another mediocre game, even when it’s coming from Arkane. Big fan of their work, but this just doesn’t seem interesting in the slightest.

So either 60-70% or 70-80%, because reviewers seem to always give more praise to games these days than they deserve.

I just don’t understand how Xbox keep signing games off in this shape.
I think they are putting it out to die. MS knows Jedi Survivor just came out and Diablo 4 is around the corner. They can blame sales on that. If they really believed in the game, it would have been delayed for the 60fps fiasco.

solidus12

Watched ACG's video.

A late PS4 era title you say?
So graphically, it’s on par with TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Days Gone…

Interfectum

Gold Member
I feel like the game should have been delayed for another 6 months at least. It seems that if it was more polished, it'd be pretty decent. But from what I have seen so far it's anything but. A shame really. I feel like this really isn't the caliber of Arkane studios. Even though the game was ALREADY delayed, another one would have made it better.
This was inevitable for MS Studios. They've absorbed a shit ton of studios, gave everyone seemingly a generous budget, said the game doesn't need to exist on it's own thanks to Game Pass and said go make your dream game.

If you know anything about human nature is that most creatives thrive when their neck is on the line. MS Studios might as well be a government job.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
If there was a free Redfall 2-3 hour trial for ALL Xbox users, then I'd have agreed with you. But Game Pass is hardly used by 30% of the overall Xbox userbase. The rest of the 70% still buys games on retail.

A service that is not even used by 70% of the console population cannot be used as an excuse to release low-quality or broken games. A free trial would be much ore appropriate in this case.
I don't know that its broken. Low quality, I'll try it myself and see if I agree. One of my favorite games of the year is sitting at a 57 MC right now and got a 0/10 from Slate.

As I said, I can see merit to both approaches. Nintendo relies on their image and seal of quality. But at the same time, I'd rather we had a low quality Scalebound than no Scalebound, especially if it's on a sub. You can just not play it if you want to skip it.

Between the botched releases and the scummy details in those 10-year CoD deals, I don't think I want Xbox to get better anymore. I think it's time for them to dip out and quit taking up the 3rd platform holder spot. Let someone new get a crack at it. Maybe someone like Apple could make a $500 console with $500 VR headset with a $60/year online sub that comes with Apple Arcade.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I mean, to be fair Redfall is an open-world 4-player co-op game, I wouldn't say this comparison is very accurate. Considering that alone will affect its visual milage.

I'd compare it to Borderlands 3 if anything. And whatever other open world or open world adjacent 4 player co-op games there are that I can't think of, lol.

Far Cry is a fair comparison and that game looks way better than Redfall.

Some random Far Cry 5 shots that I grabbed on my Xbox while playing this game 5 years ago:

43365264031_5f7eddf0c4_o.png

41556387370_35e34f0e2d_o.png

Last edited:

XesqueVara

Between the botched releases and the scummy details in those 10-year CoD deals, I don't think I want Xbox to get better anymore. I think it's time for them to dip out and quit taking up the 3rd platform holder spot. Let someone new get a crack at it. Maybe someone like Apple could make a $500 console with $500 VR headset with a $60/year online sub that comes with Apple Arcade.
"Apple $500 console" the fuck u smoking?

solidus12

You are, I think, the fifth person to respond with exactly the same comment.

I apologise profusely. The point I was making was that it is a generation old out the gate.

But this is the internet.

I date it at November 24th 2016.
It’s okay, just say it looks like a PS3 era title and we’re good 😊

I kid I kid

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Actually, an Apple console would be amazing.

My only issue with Apple is that they also have "fuck you money" like Microsoft, which is never a good idea as it just stifles creativity -- which you need loads of in the gaming industry. And any new entrant will just consolidate the industry by buying up publishers, which is something I don't like.

Having said that, Apple has a lot of class, excellent marketing, and a good eye to create what people want. It'd be interesting to see them in action.

Top Bottom