• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3dude

Finally played my first Reach MP game. (Console was at M$ for repair)

SWAT. Right off the bat 2 of my teammates quit... wtf right?

Well, me and the other dude stay tough and win 50-49. We went 4 in a row to win it. What a rush!

I'm hooked....

Jin34

I got it Saturday and haven't played much due to college but how long did it take some of you to get used to the new melee distance? I played the beta and I still can't get used to it, I melee air so many times it's incredibly frustrating. Also I still don't like the fact that the first melee just removes shields, makes all your previous shooting completely irrelevant and puts the AR in the worthless weapon hall of fame. The other big thing is the quitters, happens all the time in Invasion when they don't like the map or game type, you immediately start like 2 men down so often.

Genesis Knight said:
So I asked earlier but if I play the missions on solo out of order on Legendary, do I still get the cheevo upon completion?
You 100% will get the achievement.

I played them in order, but the game didn't register my first few levels... I finished the Campaign and had
8/9
levels completed for the weekly, plus I didn't get the achievement. So I went back and check, sure enough the first three missions were labeled [LOCKED] (something went screwy during my play-through obviously). I finished them and got the weekly challenge and then after finishing the last locked mission I got all the achievements (A Monument To Your Sins Included).

Hope that helps

neoism

Safe Bet said:
If you lose more than 1/4 of your team a "forfeit" option should arise.

It's unfair to ask anyone to eat that many deaths.
Fuck that... that happened a lot in Halo 3 for me... at least 200 games.. If I was ever on the team that quit out ( me VS 8) I'd hind or something. Even if it's at the beginning. I've won games because the other team quit... because they couldn't kind me :D :lol

Daigoro

shit!

i was playing Double Team with a very decent teammate this morning and we were tearing shit up. then i looked at my record and realized that i will be ONE DAY short of getting an Arena rank this season.

i dun fucked up. :(

so pissed.

KevinRo said:
Let's make something clear about this argument over the Spartan Laser. It is not only cheap, but it is a way for the developers to implement a fail safe for the failure of players not being able to use their head to communicate and take out an opponents vehicle.

Yes, I made fun of the fact that you can point and insta-kill anything in the game, be it biological or mechanical, from any distance on any map at any moment of time without any lag or timing delay while the reticle is literally off the target. Splash damage? Seriously, it's a like they combined the rocket launcher with the sniper rifle.

Long story short, dude here got killed in his scorpion with a spartan laser before he could get his medalz.

KevinRo said:
I could sit here and list the characteristics of the power weapons and how to combat them but I'm not, because that's for you to think about. All I'm going to say is that the spartan laser is in a class of it's own.

:lol

I hate to keep repeating basically the same thing, but this game just isn't on the same level as Halo 2 and 3 when it comes to MP. There are no longer those moments of being rushed by 3 or 4 guys and pulling off the sick overkill with a grenade and a BR. I mean I still think it's a fun game, but Halo 2 and 3 to me are on their own level above every other MP game. Reach fells like a step back almost.

Daigoro

is it really a spoiler if its an easter egg that can be missed on multiple play throughs?

ive beaten the game twice and havent seen him.

aesop

Daigoro said:
is it really a spoiler if its an easter egg that can be missed on multiple play throughs?

ive beaten the game twice and havent seen him.

Meh. Last time it was mentioned people freaked. Better to err on the side of caution.

AwesomeSyrup said:
I hate to keep repeating basically the same thing, but this game just isn't on the same level as Halo 2 and 3 when it comes to MP. There are no longer those moments of being rushed by 3 or 4 guys and pulling off the sick overkill with a grenade and a BR.

Second account-er.

Daigoro

aesop said:
Meh. Last time it was mentioned people freaked. Better to err on the side of caution.

yeah guess so. id probably never find him without a spoiler though. :lol

Jin34 said:
I got it Saturday and haven't played much due to college but how long did it take some of you to get used to the new melee distance? I played the beta and I still can't get used to it, I melee air so many times it's incredibly frustrating.

yeah its a little odd. takes some getting used to. i still whiff a bit, but usually im getting siedestepped or something.

i only melee when i wind up super close to someone or im in the middle of a reload and someones shields are down. better just to keep your distance and shoot i think.

dont mind the new system with it just discharging the shield. it works fine once you get used to it.

Chorazin

Alienshogun said:
Post some clips of you doing it, then we might see what you are doing wrong.
I don't even know what to upload from the time I've tried. Next time I try I'll try to remember to upload some films.

Lothars

AwesomeSyrup said:
I hate to keep repeating basically the same thing, but this game just isn't on the same level as Halo 2 and 3 when it comes to MP. There are no longer those moments of being rushed by 3 or 4 guys and pulling off the sick overkill with a grenade and a BR. I mean I still think it's a fun game, but Halo 2 and 3 to me are on their own level above every other MP game. Reach fells like a step back almost.

I disagree, there are tons of those moments, it's just different but I have had multiple times even just last night taking out 3 or 4 guys and barely making it out alive.

Sai-kun

Banned
Dax01 said:
Sorry, but you reasoning is kind of flawed here. It's one shot, one kill only for the head. Everywhere else on the body takes two shots. This isn't so with the Spartan Laser. In Halo 3, and in Reach, it has this huge reticule, making it much easier to aim than the sniper, and you can hit anyone on any part of the body, and it'll kill them.

The laser is broken, man. We have rockets for anti-air, the plasma launcher, the pro pipe, the plasma pistol, the sniper, sticky grenades...

...why we still got laser?

You'd think after 3 years you'd know dax, but the laser ISN'T one hit kill all the time. Hit 'em in the chest, sure that's a one hit kill. Get their arm or leg? You probably haven't even popped their shields, and they're bailing out.

Edit: Reading that again this sounds pretty rude. No meanness intended. :D The laser is pretty OP, but it's not always a one-hit kill.

GhaleonEB

So my daughter and I just discovered one other way the Challenges are well designed. She's got a Silver account, which is this nether region between Gold and an offline profile: her credit accumulation in custom FF, MP and Forge games are throttled to a max of 60 cR per game, and she cannot earn Commendations in them. But she also can't play online. However, she can complete Campaign Commendations and perform the offline Challenges. So ones such as today's "Light Flare: Kill 40 enemies in any game mode in Reach" are available for her.

After two weeks of nothing but 50 or 60 cR per game, she had no idea how many you could generate in a game. We just played through the first mission of Campaign on normal together, and she cleared the Light Flare Challenge and a bucket of Commendations. I ask her before the end mission screen comes up (we had scoring on) how many credits she thought she earned. "About....150," she says, three times what she's gotten before. She made about 750 cR. The way her eyes bugged out as the progress bar shot halfway across the screen was just golden.

I hadn't realized it, but every day that I can recall, there's been a daily Challenge or two available to her in the mix. Which is very, very nice. Just bagging that first one had her wanting to see what others there were, and is looking forward to seeing what they are tomorrow so we can get her another.

Snagged another one, Luke.

Vaux

ive had the game since sept.16 and i feel kinda of bad for only playing the first two mission on the SP campaign. I cant help yet, the MP is so good.

Zomba13

LAUGHTREY said:
So is there a legendary ending or what?
According to an interview there is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLdd9bHPCTo
(@ 12:47)
That could refer to a character calling Halsey Catherine instead of Halsey on legendary (apparently that happens)

People are looking for easter eggs and mysterious and stuff. So far people think it could that you have to do a vidmaster run or the game (killing all the BoBs, hitting all the switches) but no one knows yet. I have a feeling it'll belike the IWHBYD skull in Halo 3, eventually someone will look on the dvd and dig out anything odd. I mena how would have thought of jumping though the rings in that order in Halo 3?

neoism

Deadly Cyclone said:
100% agree. To fix Hemorrhage add some cover and limit the number of vehicles.
Guess I'm one of the few... that absolutely love the map... I've played a lot on it too thankfully. I think it's one of their best remakes ever. I do like your map Shake.... seems good. We need to play it for customs Saturday.

Loam

I wish they would make a precision playlist that consisted of Swat, Snipers, and all "Pro" variants. It really gets me that Reach has all these new interesting weapons/armor abilities that can drastically effect gameplay and provide unique experiences, yet it seems like 99% of the time I play matchmaking all I'm allowed to do is use Sprint/DMR.

The SWAT only playlist is a start. I just hope once its released people in the slayer playlist will stop voting for snipers too.

Zomba13

Wren said:
I wish they would make a precision playlist that consisted of Swat, Snipers, and all "Pro" variants. It really gets me that Reach has all these new interesting weapons/armor abilities that can drastically effect gameplay and provide unique experiences, yet it seems like 99% of the time I play matchmaking all I'm allowed to do is use Sprint/DMR.
I feel the same. I don't mind the occasional SWAT or Snipers if I'm in the mood for it, but when I play Reach I want to play Reach, not Halo 3. I like to use the AAs and the new weapons.

sn1pes said:
Finally played my first Reach MP game. (Console was at M$ for repair)

SWAT. Right off the bat 2 of my teammates quit... wtf right?

Well, me and the other dude stay tough and win 50-49. We went 4 in a row to win it. What a rush!

I'm hooked....

How ironic considering everyone is hating on swat.

I mean, I hate it. If I wanna play swat, I'll play MW2.

Ramirez

I think the range of the DMR/NR kind of ruin Blood Gulch, you can practically hit people from any where on the map, and the map isn't exactly overflowing with cover. Also doesn't help that vehicles are complete crap if someone is sniping them. I sniped like 3 Warthogs in that custom game we played last week, just random hits on it anywhere...Double Kill...Double Kill...Triple Kill...:lol

Valhalla wasn't any better, whoever controlled the laser/hill won in dominating fashion 99% of the time.

neoism

bobs99 ... said:
Nah that smells of BS, Reach isnt as vulnerable to hacking as CoD was, so theres no way those sort of exp hacks could work. Or maybe im wrong and people have managed to hack matchmaking? I certainly havent noticed it.

Im like a Major grade 2, but ive played a LOT. If I cheesed Firefight I would probably be a Lt Colenal by now.
If Gen grade 4 is that last rank... I hope bungle makes it like 5mil or something :p :lol :lol

th3dude

ChocholateMILK said:
How ironic considering everyone is hating on swat.

I mean, I hate it. If I wanna play swat, I'll play MW2.

I'll always love most gametypes, but I've always loved SWAT.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
So my daughter and I just discovered one other way the Challenges are well designed. She's got a Silver account, which is this nether region between Gold and an offline profile: her credit accumulation in custom FF, MP and Forge games are throttled to a max of 60 cR per game, and she cannot earn Commendations in them. But she also can't play online. However, she can complete Campaign Commendations and perform the offline Challenges. So ones such as today's "Light Flare: Kill 40 enemies in any game mode in Reach" are available for her.

After two weeks of nothing but 50 or 60 cR per game, she had no idea how many you could generate in a game. We just played through the first mission of Campaign on normal together, and she cleared the Light Flare Challenge and a bucket of Commendations. I ask her before the end mission screen comes up (we had scoring on) how many credits she thought she earned. "About....150," she says, three times what she's gotten before. She made about 750 cR. The way her eyes bugged out as the progress bar shot halfway across the screen was just golden.

I hadn't realized it, but every day that I can recall, there's been a daily Challenge or two available to her in the mix. Which is very, very nice. Just bagging that first one had her wanting to see what others there were, and is looking forward to seeing what they are tomorrow so we can get her another.

Snagged another one, Luke.

Ah that's so cute. It's times like that which you will remember forever and so will she.

sn1pes said:
I'll always love most gametypes, but I've always loved SWAT.

Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint2.jpg

theultimo

vhfive said:
so I have been booted twice today. both times i was driving a warthog and someone stepped in front of me :/
Probably to cheeze you, more and more griefing is happening. Bungie need to get that fixed ASAP.

theultimo said:
SWAT is gonna be huge tonight the the challenge. Team objective is a mess because of the hs challenge right now.

Got it in the first game I played today, swat for life. Such an interesting and strategic game type. I pointed at your head first, I win.

neoism

zero margin said:
It's the highest rank an enlisted man in the Navy(and Coast Guard) can earn. The Halo universe seems to pick and choose what it uses.
yeah just went to wiki... you seem to have to be a badass to be MC .....in the top 1% in the Navy.. :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom