• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright the system seems to be working well for adding the new ReachGAF xbl tag.

Just check my profile for the code and GT... You'll have to first send a Friend Request and then right after message me the code.

Hopefully this tag will stay exclusive enough to GAF, with that said even if you're on the first two tags add this one... Assuming we keep it completely in house there will be enough room for most of us here.

<3

I wish arena had at least one game type with the regular AR/Pistol Spawns. Only thing I miss about regular Team Slayer.

Oh well, better than SWAT and Snipers constantly.

BlueScrote said:
I wish arena had at least one game type with the regular AR/Pistol Spawns. Only thing I miss about regular Team Slayer.

Oh well, better than SWAT and Snipers constantly.

For sure. Give Slayer Pro it's own playlist within the Arena for those who think stripping elements of the Sandbox out of the game make for a better test of skill. Give the rest of us the choice between Slayer (AR/pistol and AAs) and Slayer DMR (DMR/Pistol and AAs).

dslgunstar said:
If the Spartan Laser is overpowered, so is the Sniper Rifle. After all, all you have to do is point and shoot for a one hit kill. And you don't even have to charge that up while it shows everybody on the map exactly where you're aiming from. (Yes, I'm being factious but the argument that laser is broken and has no risk for the reward is asinine)
Sorry, but you reasoning is kind of flawed here. It's one shot, one kill only for the head. Everywhere else on the body takes two shots. This isn't so with the Spartan Laser. In Halo 3, and in Reach, it has this huge reticule, making it much easier to aim than the sniper, and you can hit anyone on any part of the body, and it'll kill them.

The laser is broken, man. We have rockets for anti-air, the plasma launcher, the pro pipe, the plasma pistol, the sniper, sticky grenades...

...why we still got laser?

Devin Olsen said:
Alright the system seems to be working well for adding the new ReachGAF xbl tag.

Just check my profile for the code and GT... You'll have to first send a Friend Request and then right after message me the code.

Hopefully this tag will stay exclusive enough to GAF, with that said even if you're on the first two tags add this one... Assuming we keep it completely in house there will be enough room for most of us here.

<3
I'm on the first tag, just added this one.

KevinRo

I would like to point out on Zealout that when you spawn, you spawn by your teamates and literally into their own fire and can't move because they themselves are shooting across the map. Can you space the spawns so that when I spawn I won't get shot by my own team and possibly killed by the other team?

zlatko said:
This game could honestly use stopping power on bullets if you are in sprint. Running at a person 300mph when they are unloading bullets into you only to have them double melee you is a giant let out *sigh* for me everytime someone does it.

THIS. I wished SO incredibly hard that they would bring back the plasma rifle from Halo:CE, but they didn't. It was so badass, you could slow down your opponent with the plasma rifle while they tried to run at you and take down their shield at the same time.

Dax01 said:
The laser is broken, man. We have rockets for anti-air, the plasma launcher, the pro pipe, the plasma pistol, the sniper, sticky grenades...

none of those weapons are strictly anti-air... that's why we still got laser.

Bread

Banned
KevinRo said:
THIS. I wished SO incredibly hard that they would bring back the plasma rifle from Halo:CE, but they didn't. It was so badass, you could slow down your opponent with the plasma rifle while they tried to run at you and take down their shield at the same time.
I'm not exaggerating when I say that this addition would save the game, sort of like how they changed it in Gears of War to stop chainsaw spamming. It would make the underpowered plasma rifle incredibly useful and balanced.

ManCannon

my theory as to why SWAT style of play is more popular than ever before: the emergence and huge success and player base of modern war shooters.

Personally I HATE it but to each his/her own.

Kibbles

KevinRo said:
I would like to point out on Zealout that when you spawn, you spawn by your teamates and literally into their own fire and can't move because they themselves are shooting across the map. Can you space the spawns so that when I spawn I won't get shot by my own team and possibly killed by the other team?

Oh man I forgot how awesome the Plasma Rifle was in CE. Bringing that back would've been epic. It felt powerful too, not like the weak blue plasma bursts we get now.

I AM SO MAD A BUNGIE!

aesop

Devin Olsen said:

<3
Added. Thanks for doing this. My tag on XBL is dijital ninja.

Edit: I'm on the first list too.

ManCannon said:
my theory as to why SWAT style of play is more popular than ever before: the emergence and huge success and player base of modern war shooters.

Hey, add the private GAF tag (read my post, top of this page)!

Dax, vhfive, kylej, Ghal, ManCannon, Kevin, Sai-Kun, Shake, Tashi, Kapura, Letters, Gui_PT, Reluctant, Kibbles, juices, EazyB <3, BlueBlur, And everyone else do the same (do not take it personally if I didn't mention you, I just quickly ran through the list of people who had posted in this thread that I remembered off the top of my head <3)... This GT is going to be full of regulars instead of a bunch of randoms (no offense).

As for the laser discussion, I think that shallowing the 'clip' would be one way to fix the issue... But I have a feeling that making a change like that wouldn't be possible, would it?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Chorazin said:
Another 1.5 hours trying to get ITCTHMB, another 1.5 hours wasted. I'm never going to get this fucking thing. :(

Post some clips of you doing it, then we might see what you are doing wrong.

Merguson

Banned
ManCannon said:

Eh, I don't mind it personally but it's definitely not something I would like to be playing each day. I liked SWAT as a double exp in Halo 3 but I guess it's popular enough for it's own playlist.

How would grifball fare if it had it's own playlist I wonder? Rocket race certainly didn't survive in Halo 3.

les papillons sexuels said:
none of those weapons are strictly anti-air... that's why we still got laser.
Right, I wasn't saying they were, I was only talking about the rockets. There are many ways to take out vehicles now it just renders the laser redundant.

Lazslo

Today after everyone in my match voted for Swat I asked a guy on my team why he voted for it and he replied: "it's the most skilled based game in Reach, why- do you like to fly around on jetpacks and play regular slayer?" My head almost exploded shortly after. But Sketch is right people enjoy it more then ever now because of MW2, it really sucks.

Tadale

I don't buy in to swat being popular now because of Modern Warfare style shooters. It was popular all the way back in Halo 2, and people are picking it because there's no dedicated playlist.

So I have a rather different topic to discuss over a lot of you: Campaign warthog. :p

So the Reach warthog is broken on Legendary. I mean this in three ways:

1. The warthog is lighter than ever, and very susceptible to flips.
    I swear I have never flipped a hog so many times as I have in Reach. Wheelies, barrel rolls, endovers, you name it, I've done it in this hog. It's killing me getting used to this new hog. Personally, I don't like it. I get myself and my passengers killed all too frequently, especially when it's Legendary and I die in two seconds flat. But to be fair, this is on me and I need to spend the time to get acquainted with the Reach 'hog more.
  2. The Friendly AI won't shoot distant targets.
    The Friendly AI will not shoot at targets more than 100 feet away. This one kills me because they will lock-on and track distant targets, but won't shoot. Even when the enemy AI is firing like crazy and I'm dying and oh my god I can't reverse fast enough in this thing why won't he shoot I'm losing traction and aaaahaahah dead. :p

One of the coolest things in Halo 3 is also one I doubt many of you noticed: ODSTs vs. normal marines as gunners. A normal marine has a shooting range of say 200 feet (I have no firm numbers). But get an ODST in the gunner and he'll shoot targets twice as far away. Cool!

Gone in Reach. The friendly AI, Marine or Spartan, has the same stubborn reluctance to shoot at anything closer than it can sneeze on.
  3. The AI will steal any unmanned vehicle and get it destroyed.
    I'm used to not being able to depend on my AI gunner. It makes sense that Bungie didn't want to make the Warthog this unstoppable killing machine. I've always had to take over for the gunner in long-range or special situations. Or I've had to trot out and snipe a Wraith gunner and then hop back in. But in Reach, you walk more than 30 feet away from the vehicle it's gone. Even if it didn't have a gunner or anything. I've had my Revenant and Hog stolen by Kat so many times. Tonight she boosted the Revenant directly into me and clipped my shields off as I'm dancing with a Wraith! Augh!

TLDR: The Reach Friendly AI won't shoot at anything. Forcing me to either drive into deadly situations where I flip the lightweight hog and die. Or I hop out and try to even the odds and my vehicle gets taken and wrecked by the AI.

*long exhale* Sorry for the longwinded rant. It's not that the warthog is useless, it's just now very, very limited and needs to be worked around much more. God I wish there would be a campaign patch, but it won't happen. Now, to keep this positive, because I do love campaign and Reach:

Can any one give me any tips on controlling the Reach hog?

Merguson

Banned
Dax01 said:
Right, I wasn't saying they were, I was only talking about the rockets. There are many ways to take out vehicles now it just renders the laser redundant.

Not that it matters when the only anti-vehicle weapon to take out the tank on hemorrhage is the plasma launcher. :(

aesop

Dax01 said:

I dunno. I'd much rather trade the plasma launcher on Hemo for a Splaser. Might actually give a tank driver pause.

Dax01 said:
Sorry, but you reasoning is kind of flawed here. It's one shot, one kill only for the head. Everywhere else on the body takes two shots. This isn't so with the Spartan Laser. In Halo 3, and in Reach, it has this huge reticule, making it much easier to aim than the sniper, and you can hit anyone on any part of the body, and it'll kill them.

I said I was being factious. I know there's a clear difference between the Laser and the Sniper rifle, but the idea that aiming and firing a precision weapon at a vehicle for an instant kill is somehow unskillful when pointing and aiming another weapon at an enemy for an instant kill is ok is stupid to me.

Yes, you need to aim for the head with the sniper-rifle for it to be an instant kill. You can also fire it immediately without any kind of warm-up or warning to the victim, from double the range, and fire immediately afterward to finish job. Someone using the laser has to either survive the charge up time (which also displays exactly where the laser will be fired, and from what location), or time it such that they pop out immediately before it's ready to blast.

As for the reticule being large and the blast being able to kill a person from any impact, the same could be said of the rocket launcher when used against infantry.

Like I said, limit the Laser's ammo so players get more conservative when using it.

As for the other weapons:

Stickies: Good for Warthogs and Ghosts, suicidal against Tanks. Yes you'll do good damage and kill them with enough of them, but you'll probably die in the excursion. Two or three guys for the death of a Tank is fair, but it's always going to be a last-ditch option.

Rockets: Good for vehicles, good for infantry. Really it has the same problem as the Laser in that if one team has control of them, the other team's vehicles are in danger. The only difference is a lack of precision. One laser on the map with 3 shots or a Rocket Launcher with four. Same difference to me. I just think the Laser is cooler. :D

Plasma Launcher: It has a charge up sequence, it can zoom in, and it locks on to the target with four shots of instant death with no warning save the sound if you're close enough to hear it. It WOULD be as 'broken' as the Laser if it hadn't been nerfed to the point of being USELESS. I don't know anybody that finds it fun to use or particularly effective at anything. We want it replaced with Rockets or a Laser for a reason.

Plasma pistol and grenade launcher are both great for disabling, provided you have a team willing to coordinate the follow-up attack. Otherwise, you'll just get gunned down by an immobile but otherwise healthy tank before it eventually starts moving again.

And to be clear, I'm not saying I want the Laser on the map IN ADDITION to rocket launchers and plasma launchers and grenade launchers, etc. I'm just saying that replacing the Plasma Launcher with the Laser wouldn't break the map anymore than replacing the Plasma Launcher with the rockets.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lazslo said:
Today after everyone in my match voted for Swat I asked a guy on my team why he voted for it and he replied: "it's the most skilled based game in Reach, why- do you like to fly around on jetpacks and play regular slayer?" My head almost exploded shortly after.
:lol

He's probably one of those guys who thinks Halo is noob friendly, yet has no explanation of why he sucks at it.

Epyon MX said:
So I have a rather different topic to discuss over a lot of you: Campaign warthog. :p

So the Reach warthog is broken on Legendary. I mean this in three ways:

1. The warthog is lighter than ever, and very susceptible to flips.
    I swear I have never flipped a hog so many times as I have in Reach. Wheelies, barrel rolls, endovers, you name it, I've done it in this hog. It's killing me getting used to this new hog. Personally, I don't like it. I get myself and my passengers killed all too frequently, especially when it's Legendary and I die in two seconds flat. But to be fair, this is on me and I need to spend the time to get acquainted with the Reach 'hog more.
  2. The Friendly AI won't shoot distant targets.
    The Friendly AI will not shoot at targets more than 100 feet away. This one kills me because they will lock-on and track distant targets, but won't shoot. Even when the enemy AI is firing like crazy and I'm dying and oh my god I can't reverse fast enough in this thing why won't he shoot I'm losing traction and aaaahaahah dead. :p

One of the coolest things in Halo 3 is also one I doubt many of you noticed: ODSTs vs. normal marines as gunners. A normal marine has a shooting range of say 200 feet (I have no firm numbers). But get an ODST in the gunner and he'll shoot targets twice as far away. Cool!

Gone in Reach. The friendly AI, Marine or Spartan, has the same stubborn reluctance to shoot at anything closer than it can sneeze on.
  3. The AI will steal any unmanned vehicle and get it destroyed.
    I'm used to not being able to depend on my AI gunner. It makes sense that Bungie didn't want to make the Warthog this unstoppable killing machine. I've always had to take over for the gunner in long-range or special situations. Or I've had to trot out and snipe a Wraith gunner and then hop back in. But in Reach, you walk more than 30 feet away from the vehicle it's gone. Even if it didn't have a gunner or anything. I've had my Revenant and Hog stolen by Kat so many times. Tonight she boosted the Revenant directly into me and clipped my shields off as I'm dancing with a Wraith! Augh!

TLDR: The Reach Friendly AI won't shoot at anything. Forcing me to either drive into deadly situations where I flip the lightweight hog and die. Or I hop out and try to even the odds and my vehicle gets taken and wrecked by the AI.

*long exhale* Sorry for the longwinded rant. It's not that the warthog is useless, it's just now very, very limited and needs to be worked around much more. God I wish there would be a campaign patch, but it won't happen. Now, to keep this positive, because I do love campaign and Reach:

I agree with everything you've said. I'm playing through solo on Legendary right now and I'm having a lot of difficulty with the "third" mission (really the second, not counting the intro) on a Warthog part. Every time I drive, the AI friendly won't shoot enemies that are far away and I end up getting killed. Every time I man the gun, he drives right into dangerous situations and I die. How the fuck do you do this part?

Has anyone here done "Game, Set, Match" (Complete a Firefight set on Legendary without dying) yet? On normal Firefight too, not something like Grunts only.

Lazslo said:
Today after everyone in my match voted for Swat I asked a guy on my team why he voted for it and he replied: "it's the most skilled based game in Reach, why- do you like to fly around on jetpacks and play regular slayer?" My head almost exploded shortly after. But Sketch is right people enjoy it more then ever now because of MW2, it really sucks.

I was playing Invasion last night, and I voted for Boneyard Invasion over Hemmorage Invasion Slayer. Some kid piped up 'Who the fuck voted for Invasion?'. I replied 'I did, cause I'm in the fucking INVASION playlist. If I wanted to play Slayer, I'd be in the one of the SLAYER playlists.'

Anytime somebody says 'I don't want any of that gay jetpack shit, I just want to play Halo' I say 'Halo is available on Xbox Originals. You should go download and play THAT. This is Halo: Reach.'

The funny thing is, these people usually are really terrible. I only have a K/D in competitive matchmaking of 1.65 (slowly bringing it back up to where it was in Halo 3), but I have my way with them. I do get slaughtered in Arena though. I think my K/D in there is like 1.14 or something. :lol

soldat7

Dax01 said:

Variety is the spice of life. Have fun with it.

Epyon MX said:

To be honest, I didn't have too much trouble with the new 'Hog, though I agree that it is too prone to flipping over. Not going full throttle when going over hills and crests seems to help, and although I love the fact that it's back to being a slidey beast, it's a bit top heavy, so if you carry too much speed in a sharp turn, it'll go all Explorer-Firestone on you. In short: throttle control, and don't be overzealous with the handbrake.

subrock

god damn, the DMR is giving me some serious rage. been in far to many head shot dances in reach because of the bloom. annoying.

watership

Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection

this is my last few games. Why is everyone in rumble pit choosing this? I jump out of matchmaking, grab a completely new group. ZOMBIES.

WTF?!

This happened last night too. Is this going on for anyone else?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dax01 said:

Because people love giant fucking lasers

Striker

Lazslo said:
People love it because it's easier to kill people, thus making it less frustrating for them. I am just happy that it is being removed from most game modes.

Rockets: Good for vehicles, good for infantry. Really it has the same problem as the Laser in that if one team has control of them, the other team's vehicles are in danger. The only difference is a lack of precision. One laser on the map with 3 shots or a Rocket Launcher with four. Same difference to me. I just think the Laser is cooler
Big difference between the Rocket Launcher and the Spartan Laser.

A Rocket can't pin point a player across the map and kill them. It's happened far too often on Standoff, Valhalla, Sandtrap, and I can go on listing maps that it is placed on. It's a nuisance and not in a friendly, competitive way. The Rocket is much more balanced for MM and for Hemorrhage.

backflip10019 said:
I agree with everything you've said. I'm playing through solo on Legendary right now and I'm having a lot of difficulty with the "third" mission (really the second, not counting the intro) on a Warthog part. Every time I drive, the AI friendly won't shoot enemies that are far away and I end up getting killed. Every time I man the gun, he drives right into dangerous situations and I die. How the fuck do you do this part?

If you're committed to the hog, and getting it through, you'll need patience:

• Park your hog in a safe but closeby space where you can take a few of the more dangerous targets out. Elites, Wraith gunners, anything with a plasma pistol. Just remember to trot over to the hog/vehicle every clip or every 10 seconds. And remember that if you're gunning, the AI won't leave you if you hop out of the gunner seat. So do that if you're about to get kidnapped.
  • Then take small safe runs that give your gunner ~2 seconds of firing time. Reach hogs have very powerful guns, but are very weak for the driver. Your gunner is very quick and can do a good amount of damage, and even Marine gunners have a lot of HP. So take your time.
  • Once the major threats are out of the way (all that's left is Infantry), then get in there and tear it up! :D

I honestly go on foot a lot more. Halo on Legendary has always been dangerous for a hog. I just wish that I had friendly AI that wasn't so much of a liability/ or required babysitting.

Thanks, Spaceman Spiff for the driving tips. I'm glad someone else recognizes the flippy nature. I do like the slidey-ness, but I've never had to let off the throttle on crests before. I'll have to work on that.

Epyon MX said:
If you're committed to the hog:

Park your hog in a safe but closeby space where you can take a few of the more dangerous targets out. Elites, Wraith gunners, anything with a plasma pistol. Just remember to trot over to the hog/vehicle every clip or every 10 seconds. And remember that if you're gunning, the AI won't leave you if you hop out of the gunner seat. So do that if you're about to get kidnapped.

Then take small safe runs that give your gunner ~2 seconds of firing time. Reach hogs have very powerful guns, but are very weak for the driver. Your gunner is very quick and can do a good amount of damage, and even Marine gunners have a lot of HP. So take your time.

Once the major threats are out of the way (all that's left is Infantry), then get in there and tear it up! :D
Sounds like a very solid strategy. I'll try it out later. Thanks!

soldat7 said:
Variety is the spice of life. Have fun with it.

1 more weapon does not equal variety.

The problem with the Laser was that it was very easy to use and any good player with the laser wouldn't use it fast. They would hold it and make sure the enemy knew they had it without firing it. This would keep the other team in check and not rush, as well as not get into their vehicles. The team with the laser would get into the vehicle and it would be all over forcing the other team into their base. It's main use was to scare in order to hold a power position and or have a vehicle advantage. Because of this, the laser was broken because the entire game revolved around this weapon. Whoever did not use this tactic does not know how to use the weapon in 4v4 games.

It's what made Valhalla and Standoff games so dependent on it's opening rush. The disparity in scores was huge. Valhalla had a sniper though, so it was possible to regain control, albeit really hard.

aesop

ManCannon said:

I agree with this 100%.

The, "I saw you first, I win," gameplay of MW2 completely soured the experience for me. Well, that and the runners that could stab you from 15 feet away. :lol

watership said:
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection

this is my last few games. Why is everyone in rumble pit choosing this? I jump out of matchmaking, grab a completely new group. ZOMBIES.

WTF?!

Yeah, no I don't understand it either.

Genesis Knight said:
So I asked earlier but if I play the missions on solo out of order on Legendary, do I still get the cheevo upon completion?

I didn't do it that way but logic dictates yes.

Epyon MX said:
Thanks, Spaceman Spiff for the driving tips. I'm glad someone else recognizes the flippy nature. I do like the slidey-ness, but I've never had to let off the throttle on crests before. I'll have to work on that.

Yeah, you can't just gun the 'Hog all the time like in previous Halos and keep it upright. I'm not completely sold on the new driving dynamics, but once you make the adjustment and keep the throttle in check, it's manageable. Weirdly the civilian farm truck feels more planted than the UNSC's primary vehicular workhorse...

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
watership said:
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection

WTF?!

No, you're right. I've spent most of my time so far in Rumble Pit, and more often than not, Infection or Safe Havens win the vote. I don't mind playing them, but I'm surprised they're so popular.

KevinRo

Let's make something clear about this argument over the Spartan Laser. It is not only cheap, but it is a way for the developers to implement a fail safe for the failure of players not being able to use their head to communicate and take out an opponents vehicle.

Yes, I made fun of the fact that you can point and insta-kill anything in the game, be it biological or mechanical, from any distance on any map at any moment of time without any lag or timing delay while the reticle is literally off the target. Splash damage? Seriously, it's a like they combined the rocket launcher with the sniper rifle.

I could sit here and list the characteristics of the power weapons and how to combat them but I'm not, because that's for you to think about. All I'm going to say is that the spartan laser is in a class of it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom