• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothars

I did the weekly challenge last night before it changed and I don't know what it was but I had alot of fun and I did pretty good last night as well other than I played something crazy like 22 games just to get the challenge completed.

I am really like Reach more than any other Halo game I've ever played but it also reminds me I need to go back to Halo 3 and get my Vidmaster Lightswitch achievement and Vidmaster Annual achievement.

bobs99 ... said:
Nah that smells of BS, Reach isnt as vulnerable to hacking as CoD was, so theres no way those sort of exp hacks could work. Or maybe im wrong and people have managed to hack matchmaking? I certainly havent noticed it.

Im like a Major grade 2, but ive played a LOT. If I cheesed Firefight I would probably be a Lt Colenal by now.
Call me crazy, but I totally dig the "player investment" system and I don't want to cheapen it with exploits and glitches. I hope Bungie swings the ban hammer hard and fast against fools who manage to break their system.

I'm currently a Warrant Officer, grade 2, and I'm half way to grade 3. Can't wait to break into the Captain ranks simply to unlock more stuff in the armory. I really hope there is a UA/Base Security chest piece variant without the grenade belt!

Jonsoncao

Banned
anyone up for some firefight to beat the daily challenge?

I am in Reach GAF 1's frds list and gamertag is MathChief

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The reticle bloom has got to be most anti Halo/FPS thing ever, anytime it gets chaotic its really hard for a player to remain calm in a crazy situation and it can be irritating at times. I feel like I would take the firing rate of the weapons being slowed down over the bloom.

Maybe I just need to be more patient, when I'm not in the mood to be.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Reluctant-Hero said:
Call me crazy, but I totally dig the "player investment" system and I don't want to cheapen it with exploits and glitches. I hope Bungie swings the ban hammer hard and fast against fools who manage to break their system.

I'm currently a Warrant Officer, grade 2, and I'm half way to grade 3. Can't wait to break into the Captain ranks simply to unlock more stuff in the armory. I really hope there is a UA/Base Security chest piece variant without the grenade belt!
I'm waiting on some super awesome to unlock so I can wear that for the remainder of Reach. Waiting on Mark VI gear.

FrankT

LAUGHTREY said:
I've had a teammate run in front of my tank and boot me before. :|

It' clearly being abused. I had a nice sniper spot picked out (firefight here), first to it and I'm popping heads left and right. Next thing I know a guy is bobbing and weaving in front me to get kills. Whatever, moved off to the right side and the punk walks right into my sniper shot. Booted for score potential. Weaksauce.

At least give us 2 chances before vote so the next time I can actually shoot that guy in the face with real intent to kill.

Oh yea it is interesting to see the meta on this versus Halo 3. 2 point scale difference ain't much, but it is by far the better game (very clear in this regard) and in that sense I disagree with Edge and the relative scores to both.

Dude, I played on Jacinto (GoW map remake) and it was AMAZING. That needs to get put into the MM rotation.

How many remakes has everybody played so far?

This is mine so far:
Narrows
Pit

Kapura

Banned
theMrCravens said:
Is there a main reason for SWAT, snipers, dmr games to be so popular ?

Easier creds ? or maybe for the headshots achievements ?
THOSE *MUST* BE THE ONLY OPTIONS, BECAUSE THERE IS NO WAY THAT PEOPLE COULD FIND THOSE GAMETYPES ENJOYABLE OTHERWISE.

No. People think they're fun. They give you a scalpel and directions to cut.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Do the Penny Arcade guys use their cartoon names on Xbox Live? If so, they just got routed in Head Hunter. :lol

Almost as fun as continually killing Paul Thurrot in COD4.

GhaleonEB said:
At any rate, having a map where the high points are around the edges and the center is a bowl is a recipe for people in the center to get donged on, which is my experience on Hemorrhage so far. Anyone on foot out in the open is a dead man.
Yeah. Definitely. I'm pretty much forced to stick to the base area I spawn at if I don't want to die too much. This defense disintegrates if the opposing team gets every vehicle, though. Then the whole experience becomes very aggravating.

Plywood said:
The reticle bloom has got to be most anti Halo/FPS thing ever, anytime it gets chaotic its really hard for a player to remain calm in a crazy situation and it can be irritating at times. I feel like I would take the firing rate of the weapons being slowed down over the bloom.

Maybe I just need to be more patient, when I'm not in the mood to be.

I've not had this problem so far. I tend to be more calm during these types of situations only because I've noticed that staying calm results in me surviving.
>_>

Also, perfectly timed pistol shots that kill your opponent followed by the pistol reload animation is by far the most satisfying thing about Reach. I can't be the only one who thinks so.

ElRenoRaven

Mooreberg said:
Do the Penny Arcade guys use their cartoon names on Xbox Live? If so, they just got routed in Head Hunter. :lol

Yes they do. I played with them a couple times back in the days in Halo 2. They were fun to play with. I so didn't believe it was them and Tycho put a blurb up on their post about my mom being a wildcat in the sack to prove it. I couldn't help but laugh my ass off.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
PsychoRaven said:
Yes they do. I played with them a couple times back in the days in Halo 2. They were fun to play with. I so didn't believe it was them and Tycho put a blurb up on their post about my mom being a wildcat in the sack to prove it. I couldn't help but laugh my ass off.

Yeah they had the "7" for number of years with those names so I figured it was them. Who is Yuna? :lol

koshunter said:
I've not had this problem so far. I tend to be more calm during these types of situations only because I've noticed that staying calm results in me surviving.
>_>

Also, perfectly timed pistol shots that kill your opponent followed by the pistol reload animation is by far the most satisfying thing about Reach. I can't be the only one who thinks so.
100% agree, pistol reload after popping a head :D

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
koshunter said:
>_>

My problem is with patience or lack there of and how the reticle bloom is not fun, unless you remain patient, I feel like it kills the flow of the game at times.

Striker

ManCannon said:
so how many Lasers should be added to Hemo again? Two or three? Just want to make sure I get this playlist bug logged properly... :lol
Don't listen to these parasites.

I've been noticing it's players who hardly or rarely played Halo 2 online MP that is arguing how its BTB map is better. Was there vehicle spam in Coagulation? For sure. They're kidding themselves if they say there was none in Valhalla. That map is based off controlling the middle of the hill, and one prominent weapon, the Spartan Laser. Hemorrhage's problem is one thing, the Scorpion tank and its domination. Imagine if there was a Scorpion on Valhalla, it'll be the same thing, if not worse. People would be crying every time a match ends, or during, while one team would hold the Laser while the opposing team's tank annihilates their team's spawn point.

There were limitations in where a vehicle, especially a heavy vehicle like a Scorpion and Wraith, can go in such a small, narrow canyon. But it didn't stop tanks from destroying people in BTB Heavies in the playlist. If a BTB map domination is based off one or two weapons or vehicles, it isn't working. Replacing the Scorpion is going to change a lot of people's minds on how the map is squared off. Guarantee it.

Laser belongs in Invasion and Invasion only. I'm glad it's not apart of the BTB and Team Objective variants. The Rockets also should be placed back into Hemorrhage, like it should be. It can maintain vehicle rampages. The Wraith is also a great decision for a replacement as, while powerful, isn't overly evasive and won't destroy players on foot from a decent distance.

zumphry

Banned
Mooreberg said:

Damn, that would've made me actually get that game. :lol

Anyway, assists are making Zayne angry! Plus one game of Multi Flag on Asylum didn't give me Sprint until 1 second left.

Quincey

Banned
theMrCravens said:
Is there a main reason for SWAT, snipers, dmr games to be so popular ?

Easier creds ? or maybe for the headshots achievements ?

SWAT is popular because Call of Duty is popular.

KevinRo

ManCannon said:
so how many Lasers should be added to Hemo again? Two or three? Just want to make sure I get this playlist bug logged properly... :lol

NO. PLEASE GOD DO NOT BRING BACK THE SPARTAN LASER.

The Spartan Laser is probably the cheapest weapon I've ever encountered in Halo. It's like the developers response to the community for being stupid and not able to think/plan halo on their own. 'hmmm how does i kill tank? oh just point and shoot splaser. lawlololol' <- no

If you really want to balance Hemo, put the Invis and OS back where they belong, in their respective spots in the rocks and the Cave. If the vehicles are too much then put more plasma pistols on the map, bring back the rocket and snipe ammo. Also, Change the Tank with the Wraith Tank. DONE.

Plywood said:
My problem is with patience or lack there of and how the reticle bloom is not fun, unless you remain patient, I feel like it kills the flow of the game at times.

I think I would classify that more as a patience issue. In the heat of battle, spamming the trigger might feel right but the player who has the timing down will win. If you keep the blooming in mind, it doesn't really detract from the flow because you make it a habit to have the rhythm of the weapon consistent throughout all the fights. I'm still trying to get myself to not spam the pistol too much and it results in me dieing quite a few times because sometimes I pace the shots too fast and sometimes too slow. But having those few times where you pull it off perfectly makes me want to keep on going, because I know eventually, that's all I'll be doing.

Or in other words, I think you just have to get used to it. Personally, I find it extremely rewarding.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dear Bungie, making people get assists in games for challenges (especially firefight) just makes them play like shit. They will take down an elites shields then run from it waiting for someone else to kill it.

It's NOT a good idea, at least for firefight, just an FYI.

Lothars

KevinRo said:
NO. PLEASE GOD DO NOT BRING BACK THE SPARTAN LASER.

The Spartan Laser is probably the cheapest weapon I've ever encountered in Halo. It's like the developers response to the community for being stupid and not able to think/plan halo on their own. 'hmmm how does i kill tank? oh just point and shoot splaser. lawlololol' <- no

If you really want to balance Hemo, put the Invis and OS back where they belong, in their respective spots in the rocks and the Cave. If the vehicles are too much then put more plasma pistols on the map, bring back the rocket and snipe ammo. Also, Change the Tank with the Wraith Tank. DONE.

There's nothing wrong with the spartan laser, it's not a cheap weapon especially since you have to use it properly, it's something you have to charge up and it's definitely possible to stop someone using it.

I think he should include it in the map even if it's just one.

zlatko

Banned
Friendly fire sucks. I wish it was off on every game type.

I can't stand a team mate intentionally punching me to drop my shields so I get killed. I can't boot this dbag 13 year old and if I kill him for his transgression I get kicked out.

Retro

Hey Ghaleon, can we get a link to the Forge thread in the OT? Seems like a pretty vital resource and we Forge-fanatics could use more warm bodies for testing GAFMaps =p

I want a spartan laser with no cool down (so, bottomless clip I guess), infinite ammo, and a spread comparable to the BR's in Halo 3.
Retro said:
Hey Ghaleon, can we get a link to the Forge thread in the OT? Seems like a pretty vital resource and we Forge-fanatics could use more warm bodies for testing GAFMaps =p
Uh. It's there. :p It's under the third thing listed in the first post of the OP.

KevinRo

PsychoRaven said:
It looks that way. You would think between the joke replies to go along with it they'd figure it out. Guess not.

I can't take HaloGAF seriously when they argue that Valhalla was a good map and the middle-hill didn't break the map.

Oh, yeah, and something about Assault Rifle start.

GhaleonEB

Retro said:
It's right at the top. Has been for a week. :p

Though, I just now added a link to the Forge section where it's also fitting.

So, what should go from the OP(s)? I'm going to go through and do some trimming this week. Right now I'm thinking of nuking the Gameplay section entirely, compressing the b.net section into a line or two, and cutting the player investment section to a similar line or two (with a link to the Challenges page). That ought to clear up a lot of the clutter and boil it down to the essentials now that the game is out and all that stuff is readily available.

ElRenoRaven

KevinRo said:
I can't take HaloGAF seriously when they argue that Valhalla was a good map and the middle-hill didn't break the map.

Meh personally I'm neutral on that one. I love both Valhalla and Blood Gultch (yes I use the real name instead of the remake names because it's the same damn map). lol

Course I also took the laser out of all my maps in Halo 3. I hate the laser 100 percent.

Tried the falcon glitch in Winter Contingency but couldn't get it to work; the thing just wouldn't come down when hit with the plasma pistol.

Any hint on how to properly do it?

zumphry

Banned
Gui_PT said:
A few screenshots:
91TLh.jpg

Me: "So when do I get a Ghost to drive off a cliff?"
Jun: "Uhhhh.."

Thanks to Diablohead UK, Neo, Jonsoncao, and CBBQ for some good Firefight+matchmaking games. From now on, I'm not attempting another assist challenge ever again. Not even if it gives 10,000 Cr.

GhaleonEB said:
So, what should go from the OP(s)? I'm going to go through and do some trimming this week. Right now I'm thinking of nuking the Gameplay section entirely, compressing the b.net section into a line or two, and cutting the player investment section to a similar line or two (with a link to the Challenges page). That ought to clear up a lot of the clutter and boil it down to the essentials now that the game is out and all that stuff is readily available.

Weapons and ordnance. Link to the ordnance page on Bnet.

Havok

Alienshogun said:
Dear Bungie, making people get assists in games for challenges (especially firefight) just makes them play like shit. They will take down an elites shields then run from it waiting for someone else to kill it.

It's NOT a good idea, at least for firefight, just an FYI.
This. The assist challenges (regardless of game mode) are lame. These plus the Target Designator challenge from last week make me question if they really learned their lesson from the awful Halo 3 achievements like they said they did (ie, that they wouldn't encourage players to act in extremely specific ways through rewards).

zlatko said:
Friendly fire sucks. I wish it was off on every game type.

I can't stand a team mate intentionally punching me to drop my shields so I get killed. I can't boot this dbag 13 year old and if I kill him for his transgression I get kicked out.

This is something I said needed to be addressed during the beta, and said it should be based on some limit of damage you can do...urk replied with "no people will jump in front of your bullets"

which i maintain is much harder to do than for them just to have to shoot your shields off over and over so you die easy...

either way something needs to be done... no friendly fire is good for the social stuff but part of being good competitively involves counting your teammates accountable for their actions.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
My network conditions finally updated and it says my packet loss is low/excellent but my Upstream is "Warning!" even though im on a 5MB upload.

zumphry

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
The assist challenge was easy! Grenade Launcher is your friend!

Tried using it, and it'd just give me the EMP medal, same with most of my time using the Plasma Pistol on Elites and Brutes. Had to resort to the Pistol and AR to just ping at the Covenant and hope that I'd get an assist.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Metalic Sand said:
My network conditions finally updated and it says my packet loss is low/excellent but my Upstream is "Warning!" even though im on a 5MB upload.
I dont think Reach accurately reads or displays internet connections. Apparently my 25mb upload is average lol

The hate for the Spartan Laser is really freaking ridiculous. The only problem with the weapon was that it had too much ammo. If they limited it to three shots, it would have been fine cause the team would either make sure to keep that shit safe until they REALLY needed it (and wouldnt waste it on infantry) or they'd be stupid and waste it, and then vehicles would proceed unheeded. In any case, I've never been in a match on Valhalla where Warthogs went completely unused just cause the evil Spartan Laser was in play. *rolls eyes*

If the Spartan Laser is overpowered, so is the Sniper Rifle. After all, all you have to do is point and shoot for a one hit kill. And you don't even have to charge that up while it shows everybody on the map exactly where you're aiming from. (Yes, I'm being factious but the argument that laser is broken and has no risk for the reward is asinine)

A tank wouldn't be able to dominate on Valhalla like it does on Hemo because Valhalla has much shorter sight-lines in almost every direction, so it's impossible to dominate from across the map in the same way.

Furthermore, the map has steeper inclines throughout, which makes it harder to aim in a straight, horizontal fashion across the map. If the Tank is on one side of the hill, you can use the hill, the rocks and the gully beside it (not to mention the caves) for cover. If it's in the center of the map or approaching your base, you can man-cannon over it and attack from the rear (or if the tank decides to aim at you flying through the air, your teammates can use the opening to attack).

Valhalla > Hemo > Coag > Blood Gultch.

I've played all the Halo games. The sandbox has evolved. Hemo is a nice bit of fan service but it's a map design from 10 years ago and feels every bit as old.

Striker

KevinRo said:

I also wasn't necessarily responding to the Laser remake, but rather the remark about how Valhalla is presented to be a "perfect" balance between infantry and vehicle combat, especially with a ridiculous weapon in the map.

Agree as well with the Plasma Pistol point. I would recommend placing one near each teleporter receiver. That way there is two for each side. The Rockets is definitely wanted in the middle, and the gameplay will be better for most here with the Wraith being added.

Okay I just finished a Legendary run, but I had Campaign scoring on so the ending bit with the credits etc. got cut off. Did I miss the extra special Legendary ending magic? I didn't notice anything else that seemed different.

zlatko

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
This is something I said needed to be addressed during the beta, and said it should be based on some limit of damage you can do...urk replied with "no people will jump in front of your bullets"

which i maintain is much harder to do than for them just to have to shoot your shields off over and over so you die easy...

either way something needs to be done... no friendly fire is good for the social stuff but part of being good competitively involves counting your teammates accountable for their actions.

Meleeing your team mate should NEVER be an accident. The two things they could do is:

1) Meleeing doesn't hurt your buddies.

2) Friendly fire is only on in arena.

I mean hell people can push you into getting killed. I've had several instances of people either pushing me off a cliff on asylum into zombies when I play infection. I've also had people push me up the lift on swordbase when zombies are waiting with swords up there. If you watch a replay you know they do it on purpose because they will face you as they push you towards it instead of watching the tunnel for where baddies show up.

I still think Bungie needs a way to just upload clips of people being dbags, glitchers, etc so we can weed out the dingle berries, but that's a pipe dream. Like an option under theater called,"Misbehavior." You put in a 10 second or less clip, and Bungie can use them to just ban hammer. Oh lawdy that'd be amazing.

This game could honestly use stopping power on bullets if you are in sprint. Running at a person 300mph when they are unloading bullets into you only to have them double melee you is a giant let out *sigh* for me everytime someone does it. Trying to back up, ask for help, and jump still gets me killed in these situations.

I'd also really really really really like to see the auto aim be dialed back 2000000% from someone jumping and pulling the trigger. SWAT and snipers close range turns into a who jumped first and pulled the trigger, because trying to aim/put your sights on a dome is too slow compared to the AA boost from a jump shot.

I'm sure it's also been mentioned a jigga ton but assists are broken as hell. So often I'll have team mates just watch me get into a scuffle and not help until I rip the opponents shields down or I die, so that they can scoop up my hard work. Firefight is also weird on giving assists when you rip an entire elites shields solo, team mate head rocks and I got no assist for it. :(

I'm still also really adamant about Infection and Safe Havens being changed to each player getting 2 rounds as a zombie, and 2 rounds as a human. Being a zombie 4 times in a row on Zealot when everyone camps up top...I quit out of these games. I'm starting to experience having to wait to play games, but I don't care. I'm not going to play a giant camp fest and go -10 or more simply because the map is trash and I'm not given a chance to accumulate points myself against humans. I'd also like these game types to just get rid of the magnum entirely because that thing is free kill city on maps like pinnacle and asylum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom