• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
electricpirate said:
Isn't that the arena now/ sans AR?

Right but I want to use the AR and Pistol.

I can't do that because Bungie has included so many gimmick gametypes in the Team Slayer playlist that regular default slayer almost never has a chance to be picked once it's time to vote.

The kids will vote Slayer Pro (should be in the arena), Snipers (should have it's own playlist), or Elite Slayer (utter trash, I don't want to play as an elite or use covenant weapons).

It's just a shame because I enjoy the game but these playlists are absolutely killing my enjoyment of the online portion.

Pookaki said:
Good riddance. I'm glad they are out of the general population. :lol

I'm playing SWAT atm and these guys are very mean ;(

8swg0.png

Playlist Update said:
GAMETYPES

Global Changes
* Slayer DMR now has motion tracker enabled
* Evade has replaced Hologram for all gametypes in which players can hold objects (CTF, Assault, Stockpile, Oddball)
* Evade has replaced Dropshield for gametypes which create concentrated gameplay in specific areas (Crazy King, Territories, Oddball)
* All Classic gametypes should now include Sprint as default equipment
How/why is Evade replacing two different AA's for the same gametype? And why would Hologram be ditched in the first place?

Diablohead said:
DMR's still at spawn for spartans on boneyard, elites still gimped on that wave :/

Fucking invasion, I love it so much but it's full of bull especially the first wave of boneyard as elites, lol.

Match just now 10 seconds in the game selects new host, guess what that did? it respawned all weapons on the map, that equals 4 dmr's for the spartans so as elites we were just swiss cheese, even against a good pistol user the elites are fucked.
Spartans don't spawn with a DMR the first wave of Invasion Boneyard. They can pick up DMRs lying around, the same way Elites can pick up Nerfle's on their side.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Re: The credit cap discussion from the last page - I am VERY VERY MUCH for the cap, but it seems low, at this point. Many players are beginning to get to that level through legit play, not boosting, which I don't think is right. I have a player on my friends list who has never boosted - just plays slayer every evening. And he's getting close to the cap. He plays a ton, but not even 24/7.

Right now the cap is 540,000 cR. The game has been out for three weeks, and so far there has been no real talk of increasing the cap, so we're probably looking at at least a month (maybe more) before it is raised.

That's too long, given the level it is at now, and the level the final rank is.

The cap is a good idea. It tells boosters "OK dudes... you can boost yourself to the cR cap but have fun not ranking up while everyone just catches up to you anyway." But once legit players start brushing up against it, it is a problem.

If Bungie unlocked Commander and Colonel ranks later this month, that would be good. It would be another ~540K cR to earn after a month of play.

ManCannon said:
Snipers will get its own playlist soon. For now the weighting has been lowered so it should be much less prominent (in theory).
And what is so shitty about snipers anyway? I just whip out the magnum immediately and start taking out fools who have tunnel-vision.

Disguises

Just spent an hour with 2 friends in a shitty laggy game in campaign with iron on and on heroic. Completed the 3rd mission and didn't receive the points for completing the challenge...my friends had the points awarded and everything. I only got 117 cR from the whole hour. :(

So glad SWAT is out of BTB and slayer and into its own playlist now. Now I can probably switch from invasion to some other playlists :).

Cerrius said:
Right but I want to use the AR and Pistol.

I can't do that because Bungie has included so many gimmick gametypes in the Team Slayer playlist that regular default slayer almost never has a chance to be picked once it's time to vote.

The kids will vote Slayer Pro (should be in the arena), Snipers (should have it's own playlist), or Elite Slayer (utter trash, I don't want to play as an elite or use covenant weapons).

It's just a shame because I enjoy the game but these playlists are absolutely killing my enjoyment of the online portion.

Ahh okay, your original post was AR/DMR, hence my confusion.

I dunno, I haven't jumped on to see how the weightings are yet (Played right as it rolled over), so I have no clue whether or not it's enough for you or not. One game isn't really a statistically valid sample ;)

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
electricpirate said:
Ahh okay, your original post was AR/DMR, hence my confusion.

I dunno, I haven't jumped on to see how the weightings are yet (Played right as it rolled over), so I have no clue whether or not it's enough for you or not. One game isn't really a statistically valid sample ;)

Well, I've been on for a good 40 minutes now in the updated Team Slayer playlist and I've yet to get a default slayer game.

I've only run into Slayer Pro, Snipers, and Elite Slayer.

Very disappointing to me.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Tashi0106 said:
I get you can't always have people online to play with, I get that. But what do you expect Bungie to do about it?

Everyone just said, the option to forfeit or make the quitting system much much harsher.

15 minute time outs aren't helping anyone who is left in a game 4v1 or 4v2.

Deware80 said:
God Damn it I was hoping for FIREFIGHT CLASSIC to be added as it's own playlist.

Bungie, if you can read this, please add firefight classic to matchmaking as IT'S OWN PLAYLIST, not a game mode inside a playlist, but it's own separate. There is no challenge at all to Firefight right now (Outside of generator defense).
Holy crap, this man is so correct! Firefight Classic needs it's own playlist badly! I want waves upon waves of Covenant to fight!

Maybe they're holding it back because a prolonged, match made, classic FireFight playlist would deal out credits like Gruntpocalypse used to?

Neuromancer said:
I don't see why playlists are necessary for 1 and 5. Couldn't you still have host migration in a typical lobby system after you've picked a game mode? And if the host wanted to change game type, he'd have to leave that mode and go into a different one.

As for 4, I see your point, but good game modes will still always rise to the top and unpopular ones will sink to the bottom. Forcing people into playing modes they don't want to isn't a good solution in my book.

2 and 3 I just don't really understand so I'll take your word for those two. :D

For 5 big part of it is how many options Halo: reach provides, and the ability to make subtle changes that can break game types in big ways. It's also kind of an issue for searching, since you can hide settings in a standard gametype, for example you could set the game up to award extra points for beatdowns, which no one is going to notice when searching, but when they get in the game you find the host just always meleeing people for some odd reason. Shit like that.

Dax01 said:
Spartans don't spawn with a DMR the first wave of Invasion Boneyard. They can pick up DMRs lying around, the same way Elites can pick up Nerfle's on their side.
I know that, I do it myself but the balance of elites attacking the up high dmr welding spartans is just stupid, nerfle can easily be avoided while the elites can have their shields dropped much easier being target pratice fodder, it's just badly balanced right now.

Spires first wave feels much better due to less choke points, more cover to use, elites have high ground but not to the degree the spartans have on boneyard.

DMR can kill an elite in about 3 seconds when they are out of cover, the spartans would be fine without any dmr's for that wave.

And I am not saying this as a sour elite either as I can dominate people when playing the spartan side and I think it's just unfair for the attackers.

ManCannon

Re: the level cap - it's not being raised today (as you have already surmised) but it will get raised in the not too distant future. We'll have more to say on that soon including the criteria that will trigger the global cap raise.

In the meantime, fun fact: Even if you legitimately hit the current cR/level cap, you're actually still earning towards your next rank behind the scenes. So, when that cap is finally lifted, you can potentially catapult ahead with earnings you've already banked.

Edit: re: Invasion - we can and do review real game data and thus far it doesn't show lop-sided results favoring the Spartans in Phase 1 on Boneyard. It's great having data though and we will continue to review this sort of stuff, heat maps, etc.. in addition to anecdotal feedback on forums.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Just played two games in a row (after leaving the first game lobby) with two people in party chat who did nothing aside from start the game and leave their character in a safe place the whole game.

The first game we lost (barely) but when I saw we were playing with the same people, I betrayed the one so I could get booted. Fucking A.

Deware80

Banned
Reluctant-Hero said:
Holy crap, this man is so correct! Firefight Classic needs it's own playlist badly! I want waves upon waves of Covenant to fight!

Maybe they're holding it back because a prolonged, match made, classic FireFight playlist would deal out credits like Gruntpocalypse used to?

Maybe, but damn I want endless waves of firefight in matchmaking, not this ten minute round of the same exact skulls everytime and infinite lives. I mean where is the challenge? I feel like if they do add it, they'll probably fuck up and put it inside the playlist for firefight, and then no one will ever pick to play it lol. Please Bungie prove me wrong :(

ManCannon said:
In the meantime, fun fact: Even if you legitimately hit the current cR/level cap, you're actually still earning towards your next rank behind the scenes. So, when that cap is finally lifted, you can potentially catapult ahead with earnings you've already banked.

sweet!

LiK

ManCannon said:
Re: the level cap - it's not being raised today (as you have already surmised) but it will get raised in the not too distant future. We'll have more to say on that soon including the criteria that will trigger the global cap raise.

oh, so it's being stored in some reservoir and the dam should be lifted soon.

Chorazin

Cerrius said:
Well, I've been on for a good 40 minutes now in the updated Team Slayer playlist and I've yet to get a default slayer game.

I've only run into Slayer Pro, Snipers, and Elite Slayer.

Very disappointing to me.

I looooove Elite Slayer, especially on Countdown. I always have such a great time!

ManCannon said:

Edit: re: Invasion - we can and do review real game data and thus far it doesn't show lop-sided results favoring the Spartans in Phase 1 on Boneyard. It's great having data though and we will continue to review this sort of stuff, heat maps, etc.. in addition to anecdotal feedback on forums.
1244530296_happy-sulu.gif

I swear I'm done with gifs for the day.

ManCannon said:

Hmm, Photolosys was right on that one, even if his logic was still flawed ;).

ManCannon said:
While this sort of raises the question of why the cap even exists, it is comforting to know, because I am approaching the cap now (through entirely legit, albeit goddamn frequent, play) and I was afraid things like Commendation bonuses might go to waste.

Gui_PT

ManCannon said:

Don't make a girl a promise, if you know you can't keep it.

ManCannon said:

So a kind of crazy question here, but would it be possible to expose some of those tools so that we can use them to anylyze our custom maps? Even just the ability to upload a custom overhead shot, specify the border coordinates, and create a heatmap would do a lot to help analyze post test games. I notice that there aren't any heat maps for FW creations, so I don't know if it would support this.

If you guys can't expose those tools for whatever reason, I was wondering if you could just tell us what the designers find most useful so I can start grabbing that from the API and write a custom map analyzer ;).

Zel3

ManCannon said:

That's all I needed to hear. :D

GDJustin

ManCannon said:

*facepalm*

So the cR cap isn't a cap at all. What in the world is the point, then?

ElRenoRaven

GDJustin said:
*facepalm*

Who knows. It's pretty damn stupid I think. If you have a cap it should cap credits too. Otherwise it's not a cap.

GDJustin said:
*facepalm*

from the 24 sept BWU

I’m already Lt. Colonel, what’s next?
For this phase of Reach’s release, Lt. Colonel Grade 3 is the Level Cap. We inserted a Level Cap to give our hardcore players an opportunity to reach the top of A mountain and enjoy that time while giving the rest of our population a chance to catch up.

The problem here is that a cap doesn't feel like the top of a mountain because it's still temporary cap at the end of the day. Can't really say that I'm ''enjoying the time'' either ;/

GhaleonEB

The Lamonster said:
To discourage boosting.
Was going to say. The question could easily be rephrased into, "What's the point of boosting anyways? You just hit the cap and then everyone else catches up."

I’m already Lt. Colonel, what’s next?
For this phase of Reach’s release, Lt. Colonel Grade 3 is the Level Cap. We inserted a Level Cap to give our hardcore players an opportunity to reach the top of A mountain and enjoy that time while giving the rest of our population a chance to catch up.
That too. :lol

Red

cuevas said:
You deserve what you get. F swat.
I like telling people what they're allowed to like, too.

Just played a game of Gruntpocalypse on Overlook. Overlook is my least favorite firefight map by far, but this particular game was a whole new level of aggravating. Ten out of eleven deaths were from getting stuck from behind cover, and one was from running over a Grunt's body only to have his methane pack explode under my feet.

I don't think I've ever lost more than 3 or 4 lives in a Gruntpocalypse game before. I had to turn off my console in fury.

edit:
Okay, checked my stats for the game. It was actually only nine deaths from stickies. One of them was from a plasma pistol.

ElRenoRaven

So after a good time with the new Team Slayer playlist I think it's overall good but still some things I'm not keen on.

1. Voting sucks. People always vote for what they think is easiest. Hence the one I'm seeing most now is DMR Slayer. If they don't pick the easiest they just randomly keep changing their vote usually ending up with Slayer DMR winning because they are add and can't pick one. I actually just want the old Veto only option back and I didn't think I'd say that.

2. DMR Slayer probably needs to be weighted a bit lower. I can deal with it but man It ends up making other weapons pretty much useless. Hence it's all DMRs all the time.

3. Snipers weighting is spot on. I've seen it as an option twice and both times it lost.

Overall it's a vast improvement from where it was. Even though DMRs comes up a bit much I can at least deal with it thanks to actually having shield and other choices on map even though those are useless.

GhaleonEB

Team SWAT split the Slayer playlist almost exactly in half. Which makes sense given how often SWAT would get voted for.

TEAM SWAT 34,337 Players

TEAM SLAYER 34,676 Players
Dax01 said:
Most impressive. A late-game grenade accident killed my streak before I got to the Elites, so I think I've got a good shot at topping it. I'll give it a go tonight.

GDJustin

The Lamonster said:
To discourage boosting.

But the cR carries over, we just learned. So it doesn't discourage anything.

Myself and many others assumed the cap was, you know, an actual cap. Now we've learned that it isn't. -_-

Boosters will jump ahead of everyone 2-3 ranks when the cap is raised. So what's the point of the cap?

Would have been perfect if there was no cR rollover.

So is the point of the cap basically just to keep certain armor parts out of the wild until a certain time? I am guessing this is so lower players aren't taunted yet by armor that aren't even close to?
GDJustin said:
Would have been perfect if there was no cR rollover.
Yea but as you said earlier is kinda a bummer for the people legitly at the cap now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom