• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
PsychoRaven said:
Yea. I again hate to say this too but I would pay 60 bucks each easy for a Halo and Halo 2 remake in the Reach Engine. Keep them Identical to the way they are but just redo the graphics with the reach engine and include online multiplayer in both and I'd be the happiest person ever.
Totally, especially Halo 1. I'd love to play online co-op and online multiplayer with all those classic settings/maps.

Dax01 said:
I usually get on top of the roofs of one of the buildings, the one with the staircase on the side of it, and just hold up there. It works pretty damn well. I don't like Holdout too much either.
Oh yeah I do that too, sometimes

ElRenoRaven

The Lamonster said:
Totally, especially Halo 1. I'd love to play online co-op and online multiplayer with all those classic settings/maps.

Yup. The closest I have ever gotten is Halo 1 on PC. Course it doesn't support the 360 controller properly due to no option to set deadzones. Hence you tend to constantly run backward or to the right.

GhaleonEB said:
What makes Waterfront aggrivating is that there is no location to hold up in and defend: it's a central location and guys get dropped off from all sides, with no choke points to funnel them through. I think it could be awesome for a team map, but it's just frustrating on solo Score Attack. I also don't like Overlook or Holdout, as they're both too compartmentalized. With ~25 enemies to deal with at once, Holdout is too small of a map for me to handle solo. I'm hoping Glacier gets folded in soon, as I want to see how it plays.
Absolutely. Waterfront is a good map for a group of four, but solo it's just a lesson in futility. It would probably help a lot if radar was enabled for the larger maps; then at least I could face my inevitable death face-to-face.
Overlook is great if you have the Drop Shield. You can pretty much hang out on the roofs until the Skirmisher wave, then retreat back to the low barn (and may the gods bless whoever it was to recommend the Focus Rifle during the Skirmisher wave; it's beautiful).

Shake Appeal said:
Kind of agree with this, though Corvette can be messy just because it's so small and open.

Also like Beachhead a lot. Dislike Holdout and Outpost. Never played
Glacier
because it doesn't seem to appear in MM (framerate?).
Corvette is my favorite map for Sniper Attack. Brutes rush at you single file, I love it.

Beachhead is probably my favorite FF map for a group. Not too sure about the last map that was in the campaign, though. Framerate was bad for me on my Legendary run, I'm kind of nervous to see how it would be through matchmaking.

Kapura

Banned
So i was playing in arena, first game of the day, Sword Base (unrelated, what happened to being able to vote? Is a man not entitled?). 15 seconds in, one guys says I'm quitting because ALEX (one of the players' tag) is such a scrub. Keep in mind this is before the first strike, nothing has even happened yet. He makes good on his word and we start the match 3 v 4. 5 minutes later, we don't even have 10 kills because there is no way to set up anything like map control on that map a man down. Who the fuck makes an excuse to quit before the first kill? That pisses me off.

Kapura said:
So i was playing in arena, first game of the day, Sword Base (unrelated, what happened to being able to vote? Is a man not entitled?). 15 seconds in, one guys says I'm quitting because ALEX (one of the players' tag) is such a scrub. Keep in mind this is before the first strike, nothing has even happened yet. He makes good on his word and we start the match 3 v 4. 5 minutes later, we don't even have 10 kills because there is no way to set up anything like map control on that map a man down. Who the fuck makes an excuse to quit before the first kill? That pisses me off.
Obviously the man quit because ALEX was being a scrub, makes total sense.

Dax01 said:
Glacier is a major spoiler location, which is why it isn't in MM yet.

I usually get on top of the roofs of one of the buildings, the one with the staircase on the side of it, and just hold up there. It works pretty damn well. I don't like Holdout too much either.
Dude, the PoA takes up a third of the skybox on Holdout!

Falagard

Ramirez said:
-Drop shield still remains a choice for Assault/Flag. I don't know how else to say it, but the drop shield just doesn't belong in competitive multiplayer, not with its current power. You can throw 3-4 nades on one and it doesn't even turn red, someone said a charge PP shot takes it down, which is wrong. I tried that the other night and it just turned it red...just played a game of Assault on Pinnacle where the whole team had dropshields, dropped them all the way up to the arming spot, what exactly is the counter for this? It just turns into a sloppy game of melee/nade spamming and slow down, it's a pathetic show case of "gameplay".

Pro tip: Armor Lock is the counter for Drop Shields. A brief Armor Lock near a Drop Shield will pop them instantly.

Falagard said:
Pro tip: Armor Lock is the counter for Drop Shields. A brief Armor Lock near a Drop Shield will pop them instantly.

Meanwhile, the guy with the flag is on his merry way back to base while you are armor locking the drop shields his teammates have left behind

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Deadly said:
I can't believe I've actually grown to like SWAT :lol

SWAT is fine. I like it as a change of pace, too. The problem before is that it is so radically different than normal slayer that it shouldn't have ever been in the same hopper.

Hoppers in general need to go away. Hopefully with a new company behind Halo 4 some of the franchize's sacred cows like this can be done away with.

Just let people play what they want, and hop around. King of the Hill Matchmaking, CTF Matchmaking, Oddball matchmaking, etc.

If Halo wasn't HUGELY popular, it would never work. But it IS hugely popular. So every playlist would be guaranteed to have at least a few hundred people. Even weird stuff like Stockpile. Enough to consistently get games together.

Let people play what they want to play, dammit.

rush777

After re-listening to Halo 2's Soundtrack I can't help but feel very dissapointed by the music from Reach. It was good but man Halo 2 was on another level.

Striker

PsychoRaven said:
Yea. I again hate to say this too but I would pay 60 bucks each easy for a Halo and Halo 2 remake in the Reach Engine. Keep them Identical to the way they are but just redo the graphics with the reach engine and include online multiplayer in both and I'd be the happiest person ever.
To me, Halo 1 is still king of the campaign - just too many memorable levels. And quite handily, Halo 2 is king of MP for me. Too many good moments and excellent map selections. I doubt we ever see both, however; Halo 1 single player remake would be something I could being brought up at one point.

After re-listening to Halo 2's Soundtrack I can't help but feel very dissapointed by the music from Reach. It was good but man Halo 2 was on another level.
I love Reach's music, but also enjoyed Halo 2's theme a lot. It's a mood changer. :)

zumphry

Banned
Gui_PT said:
Does anyone want to do the co-op challenge?

Sure, fine. WHATEVER. Bitch.

GhaleonEB said:
What makes Waterfront aggrivating is that there is no location to hold up in and defend: it's a central location and guys get dropped off from all sides, with no choke points to funnel them through. I think it could be awesome for a team map, but it's just frustrating on solo Score Attack. I also don't like Overlook or Holdout, as they're both too compartmentalized. With ~25 enemies to deal with at once, Holdout is too small of a map for me to handle solo. I'm hoping Glacier gets folded in soon, as I want to see how it plays.

Like Dax said,
Dax01 said:

I usually hold up on the main building (the one with the corner wall at the top), though yeah, you are surrounded. It's not my favorite map, and the same can be said with Holdout. You'd think that Crows Nest would be a good place to stay at, but Skirmishers and Brutes just rush it and usually beat me to a bloody pulp. Overlook has a rock that I can usually stay on for most of the game, Outpost has the two AA guns, Courtyard with the area off to the side (where the sniper is in Campaign) and the Main Base when Skirmishers come into play, Beachhead on Roof, and on Corvette I just run up to the right side and stay in that room there on Waves 3+.

Glacier should be easy if you just hold up around the Halsey base door. Though, I don't think there's a lot of cover there, so I'm probably wrong. Also I have a Firefight addiction that I need help with.

Deadly

GDJustin said:
SWAT is fine. I like it as a change of pace, too. The problem before is that it is so radically different than normal slayer that it shouldn't have ever been in the same hopper.

Hoppers in general need to go away. Hopefully with a new company behind Halo 4 some of the franchize's sacred cows like this can be done away with.

Just let people play what they want, and hop around. King of the Hill Matchmaking, CTF Matchmaking, Oddball matchmaking, etc.

If Halo wasn't HUGELY popular, it would never work. But it IS hugely popular. So every playlist would be guaranteed to have at least a few hundred people. Even weird stuff like Stockpile. Enough to consistently get games together.

Let people play what they want to play, dammit.
I don't mind Bungie's playlists actually, it gives variety. If you'd always play the same stuff you'd never learn of the other gametypes. There are still a bunch of gametypes I haven't played and like this at least I know one day I'll eventually be able to try it. Sure, I'll be disappointing when what I want isn't chosen, but I'll get to try something new. At least, this is while I haven't tried them all yet :lol

ZayneH said:
Glacier should be easy if you just hold up around the Halsey base door. Though, I don't think there's a lot of cover there, so I'm probably wrong. Also I have a Firefight addiction that I need help with.
In the campaign, I used the jetpack to fly up to the top of the building just to the left (when your back's to the door) and snipe from there, worked pretty well for me.

Also Rocketfight on that map would be so cathartic.

Neuromancer said:
In the campaign, I used the jetpack to fly up to the top of the building just to the left (when your back's to the door) and snipe from there, worked pretty well for me.

Also Rocketfight on that map would be so cathartic.
Beware though - there is a side/rear entrance to the main strongpoint thats very easy to miss. I didn't realize it was there until a bunch of cloaked elites bum-rushed us from behind, nearly wiping us out. Cover your six.

Edit: On Waterfront you'll almost always find me hopping back and forth between the two rooftops, using the roof wedge things as cover. I'll usually pop the sniper hazards then head down into the main armory, using the hole to the waterway below as a nice quick exit point. Then loop back around and back up the stairs to the roof.

GhaleonEB

ZayneH said:
Like Dax said,

I usually hold up on the main building (the one with the corner wall at the top), though yeah, you are surrounded. It's not my favorite map, and the same can be said with Holdout. You'd think that Crows Nest would be a good place to stay at, but Skirmishers and Brutes just rush it and usually beat me to a bloody pulp. Overlook has a rock that I can usually stay on for most of the game, Outpost has the two AA guns, Courtyard with the area off to the side (where the sniper is in Campaign) and the Main Base when Skirmishers come into play, Beachhead on Roof, and on Corvette I just run up to the right side and stay in that room there on Waves 3+.
I've tried that my last few games, but 1) never make it up the stairs before being cut down and 2) don't have good visibility on the surroundings from the roof from the roof when I do finally make it up. I don't plan on playing it again this week at any rate as I can't complete a Round on it for the weekly Challenge - the Brute wave takes far too long - so I might try again next week.

Another issue: I'm r/g colorblind, and picking out enemies at range with night vision on is very difficult for me.

Dax01 said:
ZgwHx.png

:D

Psh, you picked my worst record. :p

I play Sniper Fight mainly.

Holy shit, nicely done. 28,000 is nothing to sneeze at.

Doodis

rush777 said:
The only thing I find disappointing with the Reach soundtrack is that I feel like I'm hearing the same music over and over. There are three or four unique pieces of music that just keep coming back. Seems like the whole soundtrack could have been cut in half.

JB1981

Cerrius said:
Well, I've been on for a good 40 minutes now in the updated Team Slayer playlist and I've yet to get a default slayer game.

I've only run into Slayer Pro, Snipers, and Elite Slayer.

Very disappointing to me.

why the hell would slayer pro still be available when SWAT got its own play list? *shakes head*

ElRenoRaven

rush777 said:

Sorry but Halo 2's was the weakest Soundtrack of the whole bunch.

MrBig

PsychoRaven said:
I'm pretty sure its just that most of gaf just hates H2 for some reason. It was the largest scale campaign (even with the shitty ending) and had the best the best soundtrack.

ElRenoRaven

Cerrius said:
Well, I've been on for a good 40 minutes now in the updated Team Slayer playlist and I've yet to get a default slayer game.

I've only run into Slayer Pro, Snipers, and Elite Slayer.

Very disappointing to me.

I've been lucky. I have had it be 60 percent DMRs and 40 percent Slayer, Elite Slayer etc.

I really wish we could just have a team slayer playlist that was team slayer. None of this DMR or Snipers, or pro stuff. Just good basic slayer with default weapon starts and a variety of Armor Abilites. Sadly I doubt we will ever get that. So I'll settle for dmr team slayer being weighted about the same as snipers and I would be happy.

ElRenoRaven

MrBig said:
I'm pretty sure its just that most of gaf just hates H2 for some reason. It was the largest scale campaign (even with the shitty ending) and had the best the best soundtrack.

Oh I don't Hate Halo 2 at all. If Halo, Halo: Reach, Halo 3, and Halo 3: ODST were 9.9's for me then Halo 2 was a 9.5 for me. So it's a great game. It's just not OMG bestest game ever like the other 3 Halo games are for me. lol

MrBig said:
Best mutliplayer maps, best playlists, best E3 demo :p

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a good explanation why First Strike is consistently almost always the top medal? It's not as if it's super tricky to get one so I don't know why it's considered to be one of the more skillful ones.

Doodis

PsychoRaven said:
Other than the E3 reveal music, I think Halo 3's is the most forgettable. Every other soundtrack has at least a few super cool themes that I always come back to, but nothing grabs me from Halo 3.

Raide

I wonder how long it will be till Bungie talk about a Forge Update? Really want to see if they are going to tweak the Forge.

*cough* More man-cannons *cough*

Lothars

MrBig said:
I don't think it's hate for halo 2 that does it, it's just the quality of Halo 2 is not up to the rest of the series.

Are AA's beyond just sprint available in Pro variants?

Lothars said:
I don't think it's hate for halo 2 that does it, it's just the quality of Halo 2 is not up to the rest of the series.
Dude, whatever. They added boarding, dual wielding, play as Elite, tons of new awesome weapons, online multiplayer, etc etc etc in Halo 2.

Raide said:
I wonder how long it will be till Bungie talk about a Forge Update? Really want to see if they are going to tweak the Forge.

I'd kill just for optional texture swaps on the existing pieces.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Deadly said:
I don't mind Bungie's playlists actually, it gives variety. If you'd always play the same stuff you'd never learn of the other gametypes. There are still a bunch of gametypes I haven't played and like this at least I know one day I'll eventually be able to try it. Sure, I'll be disappointing when what I want isn't chosen, but I'll get to try something new. At least, this is while I haven't tried them all yet :lol

The shared hoppers force variety. It prevents player choice. Look at it this way:

With every game mode having its own matchmaking, you could play a different mode every game all night long, by jumping into different hoppers. OR you could play just CTF. It's your choice. With the current system, that choice is taken away. In the scenario you're describing, you could check out Stockpile or Headhunter or any other new mode anytime. A hopper system makes it LESS likely that you'll experience new modes... not more likely.

The system could even be set up in a parent --> child relationship, giving people even MORE choice. Let's say someone wanted to play nothing but big team CTF, all night long. They go to objective --> Big Team --> CTF and start searching.

But if another player just wants to play big team objective and doesn't care what mode, they select objective --> big team and start searching. Then they would get CTF, territories, assault, etc. A third player could search for any game, period. They would get matched up wherever. Big Team, Team Slayer, etc.

The ONLY "advantage" to Bungie's current system is that it FORCES players to be exposed to new game types, and FORCES variety on players that might not want it. My belief is that if a Headhunter playlist would be empty because no one wants to play it, then that is a sign it shouldn't be in shared hoppers to begin with. It's Bungie telling us what we want instead of allowing us to tell them what we want.

ElRenoRaven

The Lamonster said:
Best mutliplayer maps, best playlists, best E3 demo :p

Multiplayer wise I wasn't a fan of the Battle Rifle or the auto Aim. That made Halo 2's multiplayer almost unplayable for me. That and Duel Wield was broken beyond belief. You would always lose if you weren't duel wielding or didn't have the BR.

Duel wield I'm glad is gone. You just couldn't balance it. It was either way overpowered like Halo 2 or underpowered like Halo 3. Also I just don't care for the weapons like that DMR or Battle Rifle because when everyone has one it takes away any close quarters combat. I don't mind having 1 or two on the map. I just don't like everyone having one. That's my opinion though and I know I'm in the minority.

oatmeal

Banned
WTF?

Doubles Arena doesn't let you vote anymore? Load outs in doubles is the worst thing ever. Pro is the only way to go.

Nils said:
Does anyone have a good explanation why First Strike is consistently almost always the top medal? It's not as if it's super tricky to get one so I don't know why it's considered to be one of the more skillful ones.

Because it forces you to be proactive and expose yourself?

Raide said:

I'm pretty disappointed in the framerate issue in Forge World. Lights and glass seem to cause the most trouble, especially when you have a map that has relatively long lines of sight. Some of the really excellent Halo 2 remakes I've seen are completely unplayable because there's too many polygons in a given space and the 360 just can't keep up. It's really disheartening, especially since our options are so limited with the other maps that are available.

zumphry

Banned
Gui_PT said:
Why u so mean?

Because I'm 5 and the way to show my love is to hate. Poo Poo head.

Neuromancer said:

Ugh, I hate that part in the Campaign (especially on Legendary) Had to use pretty much every piece of equipment given to you there by the rebels/militia.

GhaleonEB said:
I've tried that my last few games, but 1) never make it up the stairs before being cut down and 2) don't have good visibility on the surroundings from the roof from the roof when I do finally make it up. I don't plan on playing it again this week at any rate as I can't complete a Round on it for the weekly Challenge - the Brute wave takes far too long - so I might try again next week.

Another issue: I'm r/g colorblind, and picking out enemies at range with night vision on is very difficult for me.

Oh, that has to really suck. But yeah, Waterfront isn't my favorite FF map at all.

As for not completing a round, I only had one Sword Elite left on Beachhead, with ~11 seconds to go. Of course I die because I accidentally let off of the trigger when charging a plasma pistol, and when I try to spawn in with 2 seconds left, it won't let me because of that slight pause when you respawn, so I didn't get the round in. >:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom