• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deware80 said:
God Damn it I was hoping for FIREFIGHT CLASSIC to be added as it's own playlist.

Bungie, if you can read this, please add firefight classic to matchmaking as IT'S OWN PLAYLIST, not a game mode inside a playlist, but it's own separate. There is no challenge at all to Firefight right now (Outside of generator defense).

I'm hoping they add Firefight Versus at some point too.

Ramirez

Dax01 said:
ZgwHx.png

:D

Man, am I going to have to have a talk with Blood.

GhaleonEB said:
Most impressive. A late-game grenade accident killed my streak before I got to the Elites, so I think I've got a good shot at topping it. I'll give it a go tonight.
As long as you don't die, I think what really determines your score is the amount of multikills you get.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
As long as you don't die, I think what really determines your score is the amount of multikills you get.
Of course. Either dying or not landing many multikills will tank your score. The Skirmisher round is where I usually juice my score, since if I can get there without dying triples and overkills are worth a fortune. Alas, I died around then on that particular run. But I've got like, 45 more Rounds to finish for the weekly challenge, so I'm sure I'll give it another go. :lol

GDJustin said:
But the cR carries over, we just learned. So it doesn't discourage anything.

Myself and many others assumed the cap was, you know, an actual cap. Now we've learned that it isn't. -_-

Boosters will jump ahead of everyone 2-3 ranks when the cap is raised. So what's the point of the cap?

Would have been perfect if there was no cR rollover.
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN

Regarding credits/ranking up, at this point I'm not sure Bungie knows what they're doing or why.

7echnicolor said:
I'm hoping they add Firefight Versus at some point too.
Me too, that'd be awesome.

ManCannon said:
Re: the level cap - it's not being raised today (as you have already surmised) but it will get raised in the not too distant future. We'll have more to say on that soon including the criteria that will trigger the global cap raise.

In the meantime, fun fact: Even if you legitimately hit the current cR/level cap, you're actually still earning towards your next rank behind the scenes. So, when that cap is finally lifted, you can potentially catapult ahead with earnings you've already banked.

Edit: re: Invasion - we can and do review real game data and thus far it doesn't show lop-sided results favoring the Spartans in Phase 1 on Boneyard. It's great having data though and we will continue to review this sort of stuff, heat maps, etc.. in addition to anecdotal feedback on forums.

Sweet - but then, whats the point of the cap? As far as im concerned its actually put people OFF playing the game. :lol Ive heard people who hit the cap say that theyre going to avoid playing Reach incase of wasting commendations. It really does seem like the ONLY reason the cap is there is to stop people from buying the armours past Lt Colenal and I kind of dont understand why that would be the case. :lol

bobs99 ... said:
Sweet - but then, whats the point of the cap? As far as im concerned its actually put people OFF playing the game. :lol Ive heard people who hit the cap say that theyre going to avoid playing Reach incase of wasting commendations. It really does seem like the ONLY reason the cap is there is to stop people from buying the armours past Lt Colenal and I kind of dont understand why that would be the case. :lol

It's a real question : Why are they wasting commendations? How does it work?

Definity

Dax01 said:

I love score attack mode but what really stinks is when you have the AI team kill each other. You don't get the points for the kill and since there are a set number of enemies in each wave you will be down on points if you're going for a high score against someone.

Littleberu said:
Commendations = credit gain. Since you can only get each commendation once, there is no reason to do it while you're capped.

Except now we just found out that the cap doesn't actually exist.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Crunched said:
I like telling people what they're allowed to like, too.

Just played a game of Gruntpocalypse on Overlook. Overlook is my least favorite firefight map by far, but this particular game was a whole new level of aggravating. Ten out of eleven deaths were from getting stuck from behind cover, and one was from running over a Grunt's body only to have his methane pack explode under my feet.

I don't think I've ever lost more than 3 or 4 lives in a Gruntpocalypse game before. I had to turn off my console in fury.

edit:
Okay, checked my stats for the game. It was actually only nine deaths from stickies. One of them was from a plasma pistol.
Almost all of my deaths in Gruntpocalypse end up being from sticky grenades. I started using Armor Lock, though, and it's helped a lot. Still really frustrating when they throw one that's perfectly timed to when I release AL. :(

Ramirez

Alright, well I just played about 10 or so games of the new objective playlist, and overall it's really good. There are some mind numbing problems still in it though.

-Drop shield still remains a choice for Assault/Flag. I don't know how else to say it, but the drop shield just doesn't belong in competitive multiplayer, not with its current power. You can throw 3-4 nades on one and it doesn't even turn red, someone said a charge PP shot takes it down, which is wrong. I tried that the other night and it just turned it red...just played a game of Assault on Pinnacle where the whole team had dropshields, dropped them all the way up to the arming spot, what exactly is the counter for this? It just turns into a sloppy game of melee/nade spamming and slow down, it's a pathetic show case of "gameplay".

-Armor lock doesn't need to be in any game type where you can return/disarm the objective, in the same game of Assault, on defense this team would all choose armor lock and any time you planted it, they could just AL over the bomb and disarm it no problem. You can't do ANYTHING about it, so STUPID.

-Oddball...on Swordbase...with radar...all that needs to be said.

-Hemorrhage is still in, why?

Other than that, which are some pretty huge problems if you're playing good people, I'm enjoying the list a lot more than previously. Love all of the additions to Powerhouse, not sure about the objective spot being on the top of the nade launcher building, guess we'll see over time.

aesop

The Lamonster said:
Regarding credits/ranking up, at this point I'm not sure Bungie knows what they're doing or why.
Clearly they don't. In the meantime, maybe you should farm more target locator kills.

Ramirez said:
Man, am I going to have to have a talk with Blood.
Dude being good at firefight corvette firefight is much more important than being good at MP. Get with the times.

Edit: Upon further investigation corvette is one of the few maps I have a higher point total than you.

Littleberu said:

For the headshot commendation for example when you get to Silver you get something like 1000 Cr, you would be wasting that if you were capped. Worst of all though is missing out on all the bonus credits you would be getting each match where you work towards the commendations. Im not sure how that works, but I generally get about 100 credits just for commendations each match. Once I max out my headshots though I assume that bonus will dry out. So essentially the more I play while level capped, the more commendations I complete (and waste) and so the harder it would be to actually rank up when the cap is lifted.

Im glad this isnt the case.

Big question for Bungie, why has the friendly AI driving skills seem to get worst with each Halo starting with 2? I thought it was mentioned that you guys fixed it, but the friendly AI seems to drive worst in Reach than in 3. I'm just really curious as to why this is, it does lead to some incredibly funny moments though. :lol

big ander

They said the dam (I do like this term better) was just there so you can say "I'm currently at the highest possible rank on Reach :D ."

Tadale

I'm pretty annoyed with this update to the Arena. Ok, so Pro had to go for a bit to have it adjusted for no radar play. That's a little disappointing, but I can deal with it. What really irks me is that there's no more map voting-- if we have to play with all of the armor abilities in the arena, at least let us vote on what map we'd like to play.

Last season in the arena, part of the strategy was voting for particular maps based on what spawn we were given. For example, on Reflection if we had a strong sniper player on our team, maybe we'd vote that map if we were given the blue spawn. Or if we were given the red spawn, we'd always vote against pinnacle to avoid having the rocket disadvantage.

Crunched said:
I like telling people what they're allowed to like, too.

Just played a game of Gruntpocalypse on Overlook. Overlook is my least favorite firefight map by far, but this particular game was a whole new level of aggravating. Ten out of eleven deaths were from getting stuck from behind cover, and one was from running over a Grunt's body only to have his methane pack explode under my feet.

I don't think I've ever lost more than 3 or 4 lives in a Gruntpocalypse game before. I had to turn off my console in fury.

edit:
Okay, checked my stats for the game. It was actually only nine deaths from stickies. One of them was from a plasma pistol.
I'd have to say that Waterfront is my least favorite solo FF map. It's just impossible to keep everyone at bay without some bastard with an FRG to screw up your day. And using the night vision for 12 straight minutes is just murder on my eyes. My favorites are

Corvette
Courtyard
Overlook

The rest are okay, but Waterfront is just not my flavor for solo stuff.

GhaleonEB

Definity said:
I love score attack mode but what really stinks is when you have the AI team kill each other. You don't get the points for the kill and since there are a set number of enemies in each wave you will be down on points if you're going for a high score against someone.
Aye. I had a run on Corvette the other day when I was getting the Challenge for killing five guys with the sword where I got through all the Elites and had not died yet. I look around, and there's one Brute stuck way up in a corner on the catwalks, facing a wall. I have over a minute left, so I decide to finish him off with the sword. I get up the ramp, turn the corner toward him and we both explode in a burst of plasma grenade, instantly.

He'd thrown a grenade right into the wall, before I came around the corner, and stuck himself in the face. We both croaked, and I didn't get the kill (or credit for surviving a full round without dying, natch).
squidhands said:
I'd have to say that Waterfront is my least favorite solo FF map. It's just impossible to keep everyone at bay without some bastard with an FRG to screw up your day. And using the night vision for 12 straight minutes is just murder on my eyes. My favorites are

Corvette
Courtyard
Overlook

What makes Waterfront aggrivating is that there is no location to hold up in and defend: it's a central location and guys get dropped off from all sides, with no choke points to funnel them through. I think it could be awesome for a team map, but it's just frustrating on solo Score Attack. I also don't like Overlook or Holdout, as they're both too compartmentalized. With ~25 enemies to deal with at once, Holdout is too small of a map for me to handle solo. I'm hoping Glacier gets folded in soon, as I want to see how it plays.

Ramirez

Captain Blood said:
Dude being good at firefight is much more important than being good at MP. Get with the times.

I meant being on Dax's friends list. Maybe that explains your poor play, embrace the AR friend.

Safe Bet

Banned
Ramirez said:
-Hemorrhage is still in, why?
It would be a great map with a few tweeks.

Lower certain spots on the map so players with dmr/sniper don't camp cave, ridge, and map edges.

Make the valleys/roads in the middle a tad bit deeper.

Either that or make the map AR/Pistol starts..

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
What makes Waterfront aggrivating is that there is no location to hold up in and defend: it's a central location and guys get dropped off from all sides, with no choke points to funnel them through. I think it could be awesome for a team map, but it's just frustrating on solo.......

I'm hoping Glacier gets folded in soon, as I want to see how it plays.

I agree with you on these points 100 percent. I also agree about Glacier. I just don't get why it was left out to be honest other then spoiler reasons. However my thoughts are if you go into multiplayer without having beaten campaign then you take that chance of being spoiled.

Safe Bet said:
It would be a great map with a few tweeks.

Lower certain spots on the map so players with dmr/sniper don't camp cave, ridge, and map edges.

Make the valleys/roads in the middle a tad bit deeper.

Either that or make the map AR/Pistol starts..
And the nostalgia...

PsychoRaven said:
I agree with you on these points 100 percent. I also agree about Glacier. I just don't get why it was left out to be honest other then spoiler reasons. However my thoughts are if you go into multiplayer without having beaten campaign then you take that chance of being spoiled.
Yeah fuck 'em I say

Also
the after credits sequence
would make a crazy firefight map too.

Kuroyume

Banned
Make Hemmorhage AR/Pistol starts? Are you serious? How about making it Swords and Shotgun starts with no sprint? How cool would that be?

squidhands said:
Corvette
Courtyard
Overlook

Kind of agree with this, though Corvette can be messy just because it's so small and open.

Also like Beachhead a lot. Dislike Holdout and Outpost. Never played
Glacier
because it doesn't seem to appear in MM (framerate?).

aesop

Kuroyume said:
Make Hemmorhage AR/Pistol starts? Are you serious? How about making it Swords and Shotgun starts with no sprint? How cool would that be?
That makes SWAT on The Cage sound fun.

Hey You

Will Living Dead be a permanent playlist or just a weekend one?

If its a Regular, We need regular gametypes & maps added.

If its a weekend playlist, reduce it in Rumble pit but don't remove it.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
GhaleonEB said:
What makes Waterfront aggrivating is that there is no location to hold up in and defend: it's a central location and guys get dropped off from all sides, with no choke points to funnel them through. I think it could be awesome for a team map, but it's just frustrating on solo Score Attack. I also don't like Overlook or Holdout, as they're both too compartmentalized. With ~25 enemies to deal with at once, Holdout is too small of a map for me to handle solo. I'm hoping Glacier gets folded in soon, as I want to see how it plays.

I can see that being annoying about solo FF, but that's part of the challenge of the map. I'm extremely happy that there is a map of that style in the rotation. It adds a bit of challenge. I need to start playing some score attack to see how I stack against the competition. <3 FF.

GhaleonEB said:

In the FF preview leading up to launch with Lars, Sage, etc. they mentioned that the inspiration for Waterfront was the first forerunner structure on the level Halo from CE. Now, it'll never happen, but wouldn't it be badfreakingass to get a FF map in DLC that was that first forerunner structure?

P.S. I hate Holdout.

edit: What would be awesome for DLC would be to get a moving FF map. Secure this structure for 5 waves, then mount up on 'hogs and get to Structure 2 for 5 waves and protect civilians. Kinda like "Reunion Tour" from Halo 1's level "Halo"

ElRenoRaven

Neuromancer said:
Yeah fuck 'em I say

Also
the after credits sequence
would make a crazy firefight map too.

I don't think so to be honest because it's just smoke and mirrors. Course there is nothing wrong with that for what it was set up to accomplish. I explored that area in detail one day. There are so many invisible walls some of the pipline's aren't actually in the ground either. The tower legs on them are actually just floating above the ground in spots. Also it's not near as big as it looks. Then you have the way the covies are spawned on it and that wouldn't work at all for firefight. They would have to go in and basically redo the whole area for firefight.

PsychoRaven said:
I don't think so to be honest because it's just smoke and mirrors. Course there is nothing wrong with that for what it was set up to accomplish. I explored that area in detail one day. There are so many invisible walls some of the pipline's aren't actually in the ground either. The tower legs on them are actually just floating above the ground in spots. Also it's not near as big as it looks. Then you have the way the covies are spawned on it and that wouldn't work at all for firefight. They would have to go in and basically redo the whole area for firefight.
Oh I didn't realize that, I pretty much holed up in that building. Oh well.

ElRenoRaven

Epyon MX said:
In the FF preview leading up to launch with Lars, Sage, etc. they mentioned that the inspiration for Waterfront was the first forerunner structure on the level Halo from CE. Now, it'll never happen, but wouldn't it be badfreakingass to get a FF map in DLC that was that first forerunner structure?

P.S. I hate Holdout.

I hate to say it but I would love to see a DLC pack of nothing but firefights with locations from the first 3 games. I can think of a couple of spots in Halo, Halo 2, and Halo 3 that would make awesome firefight maps.

PsychoRaven said:
I hate to say it but I would love to see a DLC pack of nothing but firefights with locations from the first 3 games. I can think of a couple of spots in Halo, Halo 2, and Halo 3 that would make awesome firefight maps.
Agreed. Remakes of any classic areas with the new engine will always appeal to me.

ElRenoRaven

Neuromancer said:
Oh I didn't realize that, I pretty much holed up in that building. Oh well.

Yea. I loved the area but with so much going on it's hard to explore. So I set it to easy one day and did it then I also went into theater and explored it with the cam too. It's really interesting to explore and watch in action when you aren't having to worry about playing it.

The Lamonster said:
Agreed. Remakes of any classic areas with the new engine will always appeal to me.

Yea. I again hate to say this too but I would pay 60 bucks each easy for a Halo and Halo 2 remake in the Reach Engine. Keep them Identical to the way they are but just redo the graphics with the reach engine and include online multiplayer in both and I'd be the happiest person ever.

GhaleonEB

LunaticPuma said:
I can see that being annoying about solo FF, but that's part of the challenge of the map. I'm extremely happy that there is a map of that style in the rotation. It adds a bit of challenge. I need to start playing some score attack to see how I stack against the competition. <3 FF.
Well like I said, I think it could be awesome on a team game, where players are all working to defend different entry points and then scrambling at the inevitable breaches. But it's frustrating solo because I die very often and don't know why or from who and have no way of knowing; plasma grenades rain from all directions and from long distances, and I get domed with some regularity by Nerfles and can't anticipate from where. It is not in my experience a fun solo map. But that's why there's a veto option. Corvette, Outpost, Beachhead and Courtyard are the staples I play solo. The others will likely play better with teams.

PsychoRaven said:
I would pay cash money for such a thing.

Also bring in some flood just for firefight. Space zombies!

GhaleonEB said:
Well like I said, I think it could be awesome on a team game, where players are all working to defend different entry points and then scrambling at the inevitable breaches. But it's frustrating solo because I die very often and don't know why or from who and have no way of knowing; plasma grenades rain from all directions and from long distances, and I get domed with some regularity by Nerfles and can't anticipate from where. It is not in my experience a fun solo map. But that's why there's a veto option. Corvette, Outpost, Beachhead and Courtyard are the staples I play solo. The others will likely play better with teams.
I often hide in the sewer tunnel in Waterfront, but then again I also play a lot of Gruntpocoylpse so it's never too taxing on me.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:

Yup and then you add in those annoying beam rifle snipers up on the cliff which are a pain to hit and it's an annoying firefight map. Those little sobs are even worse when you don't have a ranged weapon to take them out.

Also what's with the soft kill zone on the bridge top in that map? You can fly over it and be on the bridge, stand on the light poles near it but by god set foot on the canopy to that bridge and it's return to safe area warning.

Neuromancer said:
I would pay cash money for such a thing.

Also bring in some flood just for firefight. Space zombies

Yea. I always wanted an option for flood in firefight. Even if Reach didn't have any it would have been kind of cool to play some of the firefight maps with them.

Shake Appeal said:
Kind of agree with this, though Corvette can be messy just because it's so small and open.

Also like Beachhead a lot. Dislike Holdout and Outpost. Never played
Glacier
because it doesn't seem to appear in MM (framerate?).
Glacier is a major spoiler location, which is why it isn't in MM yet.

GhaleonEB said:
I usually get on top of the roofs of one of the buildings, the one with the staircase on the side of it, and just hold up there. It works pretty damn well. I don't like Holdout too much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom