• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Fart's sake.

Being beaten 30-15. I have 7 of those 15 kills for my team, we're a man down from a quitter and one of my remaining teammates is AFK.

Then my internet dies on me and I lag out. =\

FML

Raide

squidhands said:
I'm pretty disappointed in the framerate issue in Forge World. Lights and glass seem to cause the most trouble, especially when you have a map that has relatively long lines of sight. Some of the really excellent Halo 2 remakes I've seen are completely unplayable because there's too many polygons in a given space and the 360 just can't keep up. It's really disheartening, especially since our options are so limited with the other maps that are available.

I wonder if its because of having to render the rest of ForgeWorld, as well as all of the objects you use for your map? Might be easier to just give us a big empty space, or at least a smaller Forge-space. *hint* Space Map please.

ForgeWorld was an awesome idea but I really don't think the tech is quite right to match the ambitions some Forgers have.

Hixx

God I love Armour Lock. Terrible night but I did enjoy this.

Wish I had Bungie Pro and love how my phone chugged the second the grenade went off but a double kill when faced with 3 people out of nothing, was nice in comparison to being fodder the rest of the time :lol

Recorded the vid on my phone but doesn't look too hot as you'd expect.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Raide said:
I wonder if its because of having to render the rest of ForgeWorld, as well as all of the objects you use for your map? Might be easier to just give us a big empty space, or at least a smaller Forge-space. *hint* Space Map please.

ForgeWorld was an awesome idea but I really don't think the tech is quite right to match the ambitions some Forgers have.

Maps with packed geometry have slowdown because (in my guess) the imposter system which can alter the level of detail on maps doesn't have a chance to be properly implemented and thus the system memory is overloaded resulting in dropped frames.

A solution to this would be to spread out the geometry over a larger area or simply don't use so many pieces in such small an area.

Example; pretty much every Headlong remakes I have seen has slowdown because most of these maps use the entire budget in a relative small space.

Counter example; Ghaleon's Crossroads map has as much geometry as any map but places the geometry over a large area where the imposter system clear has a chance to work which results in no slowdown.

This isn't the be all and end all of Forgeworld slowdown but with big budget busting maps it's the most likely sceanario - with no easy solution.

Reach pushes the 360 hardware further than Halo 3 did and it's hard to see where it could be improved in this hardware generation.

Aggrotek

Man people are such Dbags online. Just got out of a SUPER close game. We were down by like 15 and I started our comeback with a nice Overkill. We won 50-49.

So I proceed to tell the other team, "Good game guys. That was really close." To which they reply: "Yea, especially the part where I buttf***d your mom."

Wtf? Can people not act civil?

Raide

Dani said:
Maps with packed geometry have slowdown because (in my guess) the imposter system which can alter the level of detail on maps doesn't have a chance to be properly implemented and thus the system memory is overloaded resulting in dropped frames.

A solution to this would be to spread out the geometry over a larger area or simply don't use so many pieces in such small an area.

Example; pretty much every Headlong remakes I have seen has slowdown because most of these maps use the entire budget in a relative small space.

Counter example; Ghaleon's Crossroads map has as much geometry as any map but places the geometry over a large area where the imposter system clear has a chance to work which results in no slowdown.

This isn't the be all and end all of Forgeworld slowdown but with big budget busting maps it's the most likely sceanario - with no easy solution.

Reach pushes the 360 hardware further than Halo 3 did and it's hard to see where it could be improved in this hardware generation.

Always surprised when people make small maps and still use all the budget. :lol Adding some more objects might help out, especially if they add more varied building etc, it will cut down on the amount of pre-fab building we have to construct out of random boxes. :D

jambo said:
Space map + Forge = Longest Yard

:D

Just give me 6 more cannons and I can finish the damn thing. :lol :lol

Doodis

Aggrotek said:
Man people are such Dbags online. Just got out of a SUPER close game. We were down by like 15 and I started our comeback with a nice Overkill. We won 50-49.

So I proceed to tell the other team, "Good game guys. That was really close." To which they reply: "Yea, especially the part where I buttf***d your mom."

Wtf? Can people not act civil?
Apparently your mom can't. :D

JB1981

OuterWorldVoice said:
Nope. You have shields. Headshots won't do shit 'til they're dropped. Totally different pace and feel.

ok, my bad. the game has A LOT of different gametypes. its hard to keep track of them all.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Man, you can really rack up the points in Sniperfight. On Beachhead, it's pretty easy to have a couple people sniping from the roof where you initially spawn, and the others preventing a flank with a fuel rod gun (with unlimited ammo!). Some of the Elites tried to be sneaky and jetpack up to where we were, but they couldn't get high enough.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:

Yup, I definitely think that's what does the trick: it's object density, not total usage, that affects slowdown. Were the same number of objects on my map pulled together any significant distance, it would take a huge performance hit due to the increased level of detail being rendered to each of them at once. It's a lesson I'm glad to learn the easy way this time around, as I can plan for it next time without having a painful lesson behind me.

JB1981

GDJustin said:
The shared hoppers force variety. It prevents player choice. Look at it this way:

With every game mode having its own matchmaking, you could play a different mode every game all night long, by jumping into different hoppers. OR you could play just CTF. It's your choice. With the current system, that choice is taken away. In the scenario you're describing, you could check out Stockpile or Headhunter or any other new mode anytime. A hopper system makes it LESS likely that you'll experience new modes... not more likely.

The system could even be set up in a parent --> child relationship, giving people even MORE choice. Let's say someone wanted to play nothing but big team CTF, all night long. They go to objective --> Big Team --> CTF and start searching.

But if another player just wants to play big team objective and doesn't care what mode, they select objective --> big team and start searching. Then they would get CTF, territories, assault, etc. A third player could search for any game, period. They would get matched up wherever. Big Team, Team Slayer, etc.

The ONLY "advantage" to Bungie's current system is that it FORCES players to be exposed to new game types, and FORCES variety on players that might not want it. My belief is that if a Headhunter playlist would be empty because no one wants to play it, then that is a sign it shouldn't be in shared hoppers to begin with. It's Bungie telling us what we want instead of allowing us to tell them what we want.

Agree completely!!! I also think there should be a mercenary slayer playlist so i don't get assraped by clans. I think it would probably cut down on some of the quitting too.

Dug

Banned
Hugbot said:
Are you kidding? It Blew Me Away.
op1smo.gif

REV 09

More people in SWAT than anything. Guess we know how many players will be migrating to Black Ops. Also, I just played *gasp* team slayer twice in a row. Thank you Bungie for allowing us to finally play Halo instead of CoD: Space Warfare.

Has anyone heard of 'im west coastin' - I just had the pleasure of having him as my battle bro on Invasion, and because I was AFK for like 5 minuites while on the phone he literally sent me shit loads of hate mail after the game. "Go back to Call of Duty" :lol (I got phoned up literally the moment the game started, so its not my fualt!)

I told him hes an idiot and iI would gladly play him on Halo 3, (Invasion isnt exactly a true test of skill) but he just sort of went in circles calling me a 'scrub' saying to show him some respect and youtube his Gamertag. :lol

Do people who upload theyre clips really think theyre the dogs bollocks? At the same level, do good players think theyre the dogs bollocks? This guy could be "motherfucking Roger Clemens" at Halo and I wouldnt respect him.

Definity

Not a Jellyfish said:
There are more people in the SWAT playlist than in the Team Slayer playlist...thought it was funny.
That's crazy. I'm sure that number will drop way down after black ops hits. Sad.

Thank God SWAT is gone from the TS list. Good riddance. I hope all you spawn of Satan in the SWAT list have a great time. Now the wait until Team Slayer becomes a pure Team Slayer list with only AR/Pistol starts.

And Dropshield gone from Oddball is omgyes

bobs99 ... said:
Has anyone heard of 'im west coastin' - I just had the pleasure of having him as my battle bro on Invasion, and because I was AFK for like 5 minuites while on the phone he literally sent me shit loads of hate mail after the game. "Go back to Call of Duty" :lol (I got phoned up literally the moment the game started, so its not my fualt!)

I told him hes an idiot and iI would gladly play him on Halo 3, (Invasion isnt exactly a true test of skill) but he just sort of went in circles calling me a 'scrub' saying to show him some respect and youtube his Gamertag. :lol

Do people who upload theyre clips really think theyre the dogs bollocks? At the same level, do good players think theyre the dogs bollocks? This guy could be "motherfucking Roger Clemens" at Halo and I wouldnt respect him.

Kid seems like an idiot, but why can't you mute the TV and talk on the phone while playing?

I know when I talk on the phone and play I do poorly but its better than being AFK

should it be AFC?

Net_Wrecker said:
Thank God SWAT is gone from the TS list. Good riddance. I hope all you spawn of Satan in the SWAT list have a great time. Now the wait until Team Slayer becomes a pure Team Slayer list with only AR/Pistol starts.

And Dropshield gone from Oddball is omgyes

Can't wait till Arena gets rid of radar or they add an MLG playlist.

MrBig

Dani said:

I went into my headlong remake knowing about this, and I used a small amount of the smaller object, sticking mainly to buildings and the huge walls. Playing with 16 people I got no slowdowns at all. The only place I had any problems was in forge outside the level boundaries looking in.

I'm also taking this into consideration with waterworks.

I can't wait to finish waterworks so I can move on to some original maps though (I have a couple planned out). Unless of course anyone here would like to see any other remakes from me.

X26

Banned
REV 09 said:
More people in SWAT than anything. Guess we know how many players will be migrating to Black Ops. Also, I just played *gasp* team slayer twice in a row. Thank you Bungie for allowing us to finally play Halo instead of CoD: Space Warfare.

SWAT is popular in large part I imagine due to everyone being on even ground, so people that will usually get dominated during regular slayer by players knowedable about weapon spawns and misc. strategies can play SWAT and actually get some kills rather than be frustrated constanly by "pros"

Reach is great, but lot of people just don't enjoy the dated gameplay that revoles in large part to weapon pickups as much anymore

bobs99 ... said:

Haha wow, what a d-bag. :lol

If any of his messages were offensive, you should report him for code of conduct. Let him take a day off to cool his jets.

X26 said:
SWAT is popular in large part I imagine due to everyone being on even ground, so people that will usually get dominated during regular slayer by players knowedable about weapon spawns and misc. strategies can play SWAT and actually get some kills rather than be frustrated constanly by "pros"

Reach is great, but lot of people just don't enjoy the dated gameplay that revoles in large part to weapon pickups as much anymore
Yeah that's one of my issues with Halo in general. I thought loadouts in this game meant custom loadouts, you know, let you pick an armor ability, a primary weapon and a backup weapon. I was disappointed to see that wasn't the case.

X26 said:

SWAT is popular because it's easy kills, period. Spawn, headshot, spawn, headshot, spawn, headshot.

SWAT = Where the pros play dawg.

X26 said:

I think its the cod kids playing halo for a while. DMR starts make it so you don't have to pick weapons up. If you think map control is "dated" then I'm not sure what to tell you (high ground/power weapons). And these kids don't care about even ground since they play CoD where everyone has to level to get better weapons/addons.

Hugbot

X26 said:

My brother plays SWAT because "shields aren't realistic. [he] can put a bullet in a dude's head and he just walks off." So I doubt there's any cohesive reason why people play it, some might play for even footing, some might just want one-shot kills, some people are killing time until the next CoD.

Either way I'm thankful that the quarantine went up.

Magni

The Lamonster said:
That just makes you awesome.

From Halo 3:
nxcUTl.jpg

My teammates that game got a combined five kills. In a ten second span I got more kills than they did in ten minutes ><

I don't really care anymore since it's Social basically, but getting three shitty teammates (including lots of AFCers, it's starting to become a trend, and needs to be fixed pronto) three straight games in a row (to start the day!) is ='(

ChrisD84

Yay, got my first overkill in Reach with the propipe :D

It was pretty lucky to be fair, but i've got to take what i can get, it will probably be a long time before i get another one :lol

Would anyone be able to kindly render the clip for me? I would appreciate it :)

Linky

Hugbot said:
My brother plays SWAT because "shields aren't realistic. [he] can put a bullet in a dude's head and he just walks off." So I doubt there's any cohesive reason why people play it, some might play for even footing, some might just want one-shot kills, some people are killing time until the next CoD.

Either way I'm thankful that the quarantine went up.
:lol because the rest of the game is so realistic.

I can see me going to SWAT when daily/weekly challenges require lots of multiplayer kills, as others have said it is easier in that mode.

BadAss84 said:
Yay, got my first overkill in Reach with the propipe :D

It was pretty lucky to be fair, but i've got to take what i can get, it will probably be a long time before i get another one :lol

Would anyone be able to kindly render the clip for me? I would appreciate it :)

Linky

done.

Hugbot

Neuromancer said:
:lol because the rest of the game is so realistic.
Trust me, we've been over it. He mostly tolerates the setting and floaty gravity because his entire friends list is playing it, I suppose. But shields is where he draws the line, damn it.

X26

Banned
cuevas said:
I think its the cod kids playing halo for a while. DMR starts make it so you don't have to pick weapons up. If you think map control is "dated" then I'm not sure what to tell you (high ground/power weapons). And these kids don't care about even ground since they play CoD where everyone has to level to get better weapons/addons.

Sure but in those games anybody can kill anybody else regardless of what they're using usually. In Halo it's more like rock, paper, scissors when playing a variant with pickups when it comes to 1v1 battles

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Hugbot said:
My brother plays SWAT because "shields aren't realistic. [he] can put a bullet in a dude's head and he just walks off."

Science Fiction isn't realistic. News at 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom