• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
X26 said:
Sure but in those games anybody can kill anybody else regardless of what they're using usually. In Halo it's more like rock, paper, scissors when playing a variant with pickups when it comes to 1v1 battles

In CoD its a game of who sees who first, unless you are awful you will almost always get the kill if you see them first. In halo whoever makes the mistake in a 1v1 will lose.

- If you pull out a DMR in close CQC a pistol, you will lose unless they miss.
- If you charge at someone that has a pistol or DMR with an AR you will lose unless they miss.
- If you throw a grenade mid-combat they will win unless they miss.

Bunch of situations like that that give halo more depth than CoD has. In CoD its like, oh a guy let me shoot him once and hes dead or let me spray around him and he'll probably die. I'm better at CoD than halo because halo is harder.

is anyone better at halo than they are at cod? lol

Kapura

Banned
Ha ha so that dude I was bitching about in arena 200-300 posts back (thread moves fast) sent me some all recent player spam regarding something or other his gamebattles team. I sent him a reply saying that making a bullshit excuse to blame another person and then quitting 15 seconds into a game is fucking retarded. He responded twice. The first was along the lines of "I musta had something to do" and the second was more defensive saying "but that doesn't mean my team isn't good you don't even know" and then he sent me a game invite. What a tool.

zumphry

Banned
Currently on New Alexandria on my Legendary playthrough (screw you, you two damned Fuel Rod Brute Chieftains in Exodus), and Noble Six will just "happen" to "find the Covenant dancing along to techno."

Nobody can convince me otherwise because I don't want to have a hole in my wall from Hunters :lol

ZayneH said:
Currently on New Alexandria on my Legendary playthrough (screw you, you two damned Fuel Rod Brute Chieftains in Exodus), and Noble Six will just "happen" to "find the Covenant dancing along to techno."

Nobody can convince me otherwise because I don't want to have a hole in my wall from Hunters :lol

You can easily just run past them.

I did the dancing egg too. Free kills >_>

X26 said:
SWAT is popular in large part I imagine due to everyone being on even ground, so people that will usually get dominated during regular slayer by players knowedable about weapon spawns and misc. strategies can play SWAT and actually get some kills rather than be frustrated constanly by "pros"

Reach is great, but lot of people just don't enjoy the dated gameplay that revoles in large part to weapon pickups as much anymore
Dated gameplay. Haha.

Dax01 said:
Dated gameplay. Haha.
Its as old as the FPS yes. And the shooter now encompasses far more nowadays, but I wouldn't hold that against Halo. There is still a glorious fuckton of variety to its multiplayer modes.

MrBig said:
I went into my headlong remake knowing about this, and I used a small amount of the smaller object, sticking mainly to buildings and the huge walls. Playing with 16 people I got no slowdowns at all. The only place I had any problems was in forge outside the level boundaries looking in.

I'm also taking this into consideration with waterworks.

I can't wait to finish waterworks so I can move on to some original maps though (I have a couple planned out). Unless of course anyone here would like to see any other remakes from me.

You made Headlong and Waterworks??? :0 Clearly I need to get you on my FL so I can try those babies out when you test them. Those maps are by far the two I want a remake of most for Reach. Best BTB maps EVAR. I did dig Containment as well.

Sai-kun

Banned
A Monument to All Your Sins complete :D

I was ragin hard at the end thanks to a lack of *good* weapons, but at the very last encounter everything suddenly clicked into play one time and I steamrolled that last room!

I am satisfied. 990/1000 :)

Tadale

REV 09 said:
More people in SWAT than anything. Guess we know how many players will be migrating to Black Ops. Also, I just played *gasp* team slayer twice in a row. Thank you Bungie for allowing us to finally play Halo instead of CoD: Space Warfare.

I'll never understand this. SWAT's been popular with Halo players since Halo 2. And the SWAT set is overpopulated today because it's a new playlist.

Sill4

MagniHarvald said:
From Halo 3:
nxcUTl.jpg

My teammates that game got a combined five kills. In a ten second span I got more kills than they did in ten minutes ><

I don't really care anymore since it's Social basically, but getting three shitty teammates (including lots of AFCers, it's starting to become a trend, and needs to be fixed pronto) three straight games in a row (to start the day!) is ='(
Dude, you're just too pro. If only you could clone yourself, then you wouldn't have to play with subhuman noobs ever again!

MrBig

SquallASF said:
You made Headlong and Waterworks??? :0 Clearly I need to get you on my FL so I can try those babies out when you test them. Those maps are by far the two I want a remake of most for Reach. Best BTB maps EVAR. I did dig Containment as well.
I was going to do containment before waterworks but I couldn't find a suitable place in which the scale would be the same and I would have enough objects to make it.
Headlong is in my fileshare but its more akin to what Valhalla is to Blood Gulch than an exact remake. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=4167769&player=Mr Kwatz
Waterworks is about 30% done and I'm going for a closer remake. Maybe by customs this weekend but I doubt it.

Wedge7

Man, hearing that the rank cap is not truly a cap, and that your earned credits will actually immediately unlock when the cap is removed is awesome. I'm not at the cap yet, but pretty damn close, so its encouraging knowing that all the future cR I earn is not wasted.

Mr. Sam

Finally at Major Grade 3. I calculate two more days until I hit Lt. Colonel... unless I fancy playing Gruntpocalypse 50 times in a row any time soon. Which I don't.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tadale said:
I'll never understand this. SWAT's been popular with Halo players since Halo 2. And the SWAT set is overpopulated today because it's a new playlist.

Yep, SWAT was huge long before COD blew up. It dipped in Halo 3 because of the Elite headboxes. Now it's back. EMBRACE IT.

CLANG YOU'RE DEAD!!!!

Sill4

MrBig said:
I was going to do containment before waterworks but I couldn't find a suitable place in which the scale would be the same and I would have enough objects to make it.
Headlong is in my fileshare but its more akin to what Valhalla is to Blood Gulch than an exact remake. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=4167769&player=Mr Kwatz
Waterworks is about 30% done and I'm going for a closer remake. Maybe by customs this weekend but I doubt it.
I thought that maybe the blood gulch are could make a decent containment. Have to use tons of inclines to create the big ravine.

Wouldn't be a perfect recreation, but better than nothing, since I loved containment, even though it needed a longer flag reset time due to it's size, imo.

Ryan_IGN

Apologies if this was already posted -- and for the self-pimpage -- but I interviewed 343's Frank O'Connor on the OXM podcast this past week, and he dropped a few little interesting nuggets of info about Reach and other Halo-y stuff. Interview link is here and the segment with Frankie starts at about the 40:00 mark. :)

Does anyone else think the first stage of Invasion on Boneyard could be fixed by adding a few mancannons to the front for the Elites to use? I think the main problem with the first stage isn't unequal weapons, but that there are only two places the Elites can come from to get into the ship and both of them are narrow death funnels. There's no strategy involved because the map doesn't allow for it, just keep throwing bodies at the Spartans until you get to the generators. Way too many games get stonewalled at the first stage because it's so easy to defend if the Spartans have the slightest bit of coordination. Adding a mancannon or two would change it up by adding another method of attack, plus it would allow for a lot more "holy shit!" moments and good times with Elites flying through the air instead of just charging up ramps for two minutes.

Sai-kun said:
A Monument to All Your Sins complete :D

I was ragin hard at the end thanks to a lack of *good* weapons, but at the very last encounter everything suddenly clicked into play one time and I steamrolled that last room!

I am satisfied. 990/1000 :)
That last room was the one part of my experience that I was wondering what the hell I was going to do. I competely forgot about it and thought all that was left was the ending so I went all out with my ammo thinking it didn't matter. Well, the game decided to make EVERY dropped weapon disappear by the time I finished the holdout and I had absolutely nothing left... I waltz up to that last room and think OMG I'm screwed! I had to be more ingenuitive then ever before and I was pretty proud of myself for beating it under those circumstances!

MrBig said:

I'm curious to see your headlong, I hoped they would remake it because some portions don't exist in Forge obviously, such as the slab of broken concrete. Look forward to checking it out. I anxiously await your Waterworks but I'm curious about that too, what do you use for the atmosphere as there's no monstous cave? Figured that'd have to be fully remade for that reason and the dropping stalagmites were awesome, loved sniping them just as a warthog or wraith pull up under one :)

Wedge7 said:
Man, hearing that the rank cap is not truly a cap, and that your earned credits will actually immediately unlock when the cap is removed is awesome. I'm not at the cap yet, but pretty damn close, so its encouraging knowing that all the future cR I earn is not wasted.

Where did you hear this? I was wondering about that myself. I figured they would instantly apply it but official confirmation is always nice. Did they say when the level cap lifts? I should finally hit Lt. Colonel tonight.

Sill4

Ryan_OXM said:
Apologies if this was already posted -- and for the self-pimpage -- but I interviewed 343's Frank O'Connor on the OXM podcast this past week, and he dropped a few little interesting nuggets of info about Reach and other Halo-y stuff. Interview link is here and the segment with Frankie starts at about the 40:00 mark. :)
Stoopid frank o'connor, letting slip details.

I bet bungie will fire him up real good.

In this thread: Bad kids who aren't good at SWAT hate on it.

Also whats with the Leaderboards? I go to Firefight section and I have a dash and no score for every game type on Beachhead. I'm pretty fuckin sure I tore shit up on that map a bunch of times. Shit seems broken to me, people are ahead of me with worse scores than me if I go to the main Leaderboards menu, doesn't seem right.

*plays Score Attack on Courtyard*
*towards the end, discovers Ghaleon has the highest score with ~26,000; I get ~25,000*
*loads up Firefight again*
*chooses Score Attack on Courtyard*
*gets ~27,400*

One by one, Ghaleon. One by one....
Ryan_OXM said:
Ooh. Thanks!

Oh my God. I was on the second to last checkpoint in the final mission on my solo Legendary run and I go to load up my save tonight AND...I'm back at the beginning of the mission. Why are we still limited to Save and Quit? I probably just shut my Xbox off. God damn it.

xxjuicesxx said:

I know this is mostly just you being your borderline joke character self, but I usually do well in SWAT. I just don't enjoy it, even when I'm donging on people.

Voltron64

Dani said:
Just jumped into Team Slayer and noticed SWAT on Swordbase was an option. I thought all SWAT was removed from TS?
It will be fixed in the December update along with waypoints over enemy heads in Arena.

xxjuicesxx said:

Also whats with the Leaderboards? I go to Firefight section and I have a dash and no score for every game type on Beachhead. I'm pretty fuckin sure I tore shit up on that map a bunch of times. Shit seems broken to me, people are ahead of me with worse scores than me if I go to the main Leaderboards menu, doesn't seem right.
Sorry bud but SWAT is to pro slayer what checkers is to chess.

It always baffles me why people can't figure out why some people love SWAT, and others hate it. Most likely reason many love it is that 8/10 times (deduct 2 pts for better connection and beatdown/assassination) you win a skirmish because you had both faster reflexes, and better accuracy. This gives you a true feeling of domination for each kill and all the more when you get multi kills and sprees. You can say it takes little to kill, but that also means it's a bigger deal to have few deaths and to get sprees.

On the other hand, haters dislike it because it's a twitch shoot type which is contrary to the staple fundamentals of Halo combat. Halo centers around shields and has a wide variety of weaponry to utlize for different situations which people appreciate as a means of variety and different experiences every game.

I love the hell out of SWAT but I completely understand why some others don't and I would never force a team telling me pre-game lobby they don't want to play it, to have to play it. SWAT having it's own game type truly is win win for everyone. I have no idea why SWAT and Snipers didn't have their own playlist right off the bat when Bungie recieved evidence provoking them to do so in both Halo 2 and 3. One half of that equation has now been rectified.

Dani said:
Just jumped into Team Slayer and noticed SWAT on Swordbase was an option. I thought all SWAT was removed from TS?

what. I thought it was gone as well.

As for SWAT I'm convinced it's too reliant on how good your connection is. That is the only you can explain my scores, +10 one game, -10 another.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
zero margin said:

Yeah, I thought I was seeing things but it was there. It got 3 votes too but Slayer DMR's on Reflection clinched it with 4 votes so we didn't play it.

But seriously, why was it there?

SquallASF said:
It always baffles me why people can't figure out why some people love SWAT, and others hate it. Most likely reason many love it is that 8/10 times (deduct 2 pts for better connection and beatdown/assassination) you win a skirmish because you had both faster reflexes, and better accuracy. This gives you a true feeling of domination for each kill and all the more when you get multi kills and sprees. You can say it takes little to kill, but that also means it's a bigger deal to have few deaths and to get sprees.

On the other hand, haters dislike it because it's a twitch shoot type which is contrary to the staple fundamentals of Halo combat. Halo centers around shields and has a wide variety of weaponry to utlize for different situations which people appreciate as a means of variety and different experiences every game.

I love the hell out of SWAT but I completely understand why some others don't and I would never force a team telling me pre-game lobby they don't want to play it, to have to play it. SWAT having it's own game type truly is win win for everyone. I have no idea why SWAT and Snipers didn't have their own playlist right off the bat when Bungie recieved evidence provoking them to do so in both Halo 2 and 3. One half of that equation has now been rectified.

No no no, I understand why some people like it perfectly.

It's just for me, I'd rather play "hide my penis in a toaster" than SWAT the vast majority of the time.

I'm playing on Sword Base, and there's this guy on the other team coming at me with the sword. I have the pro pipe at hand, and I don't have enough time to get away from him. So I turn to face him, fire off the pro pipe...

...and the grenade just bounces right off the dude. –.–

I'm absolutely flabbergasted as to why Bungie felt they needed to change the pro pipe from what it was in the Beta. I hope Bungie fixes it in the upcoming title update.

Mr. Sam

On a related note, the pro pipe is very useful at clearing out the elevator room on Sword Base. That bouncing can be useful.

MrBig

SquallASF said:
I'm curious to see your headlong, I hoped they would remake it because some portions don't exist in Forge obviously, such as the slab of broken concrete. Look forward to checking it out. I anxiously await your Waterworks but I'm curious about that too, what do you use for the atmosphere as there's no monstous cave? Figured that'd have to be fully remade for that reason and the dropping stalagmites were awesome, loved sniping them just as a warthog or wraith pull up under one :)
Maybe I'll put one or two cones up in the sky as a joke so that people can shoot them down and have a 1/100000000 chance of them hitting someone.
I'm going to add in Juicy and Colorblind to make it look a bit darker but keep it so that you are still able to see everything clearly.
Here's my current progress on it, but only the middle structure is done, everything else is either unfinished or just blocked out.
reach_5030462_Full.jpg

Dax01 said:
I'm absolutely flabbergasted as to why Bungie felt they needed to change the pro pipe from what it was in the Beta. I hope Bungie fixes it in the upcoming title update.
Well, its not much different from using a frag grenade in that same scenario.

Dax01 said:
I'm playing on Sword Base, and there's this guy on the other team coming at me with the sword. I have the pro pipe at hand, and I don't have enough time to get away from him. So I turn to face him, fire off the pro pipe...

...and the grenade just bounces right off the dude. –.–

Can't you just manually detonate it?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
electricpirate said:

Yeah, or he could have bounced it off the ground into the guy, then it would have detonated. He isn't good with it, that's all.

Edit: Manual detonation does kill in one hit if you do it right Gui. People camp with an unused grenade on the ground all the time waiting for someone to step on it, then detonate it for a kill.

Dax01 said:
I know! It doesn't make sense.
Dunno if you're joking but I meant that as more of a justification than anything. I mean, it is a grenade launcher. So its not that far fetched to imagine it working out like a launched frag grenade. ;p

.la1n

Sill4 said:
Dude, you're just too pro. If only you could clone yourself, then you wouldn't have to play with subhuman noobs ever again!

Far too pro for these forums too, you should seek out a professional halo forum where only the most l33t h4rdc0r3 playerz communicate *fist bump*

electricpirate said:
What do you mean? I fire it off, it bounces off the dude, he kills me with the sword, and the grenade lands far away from him. Even if I managed to bounce it off a wall, it would've just taken out his shields. Don't you remember how it was in the beta?
NullPointer said:
Dunno if you're joking but I meant that as more of a justification than anything. I mean, it is a grenade launcher. So its not that far fetched to imagine it working out like a launched frag grenade. ;p
But from a far enough distance (such that it makes it highly, highly improbable you'll get a one-hit kill with it), if the grenade is fired and impacts a player directly, it'll kill him. If you're close enough to another player, the grenade will just bounce right off. The gun is nowhere near as fun as it was. :(

Launch grenade
Hold R
Release when grenade is about to hit dude
profit.

And GUI, I'm pretty sure it can still kill, I know i have killed with it manual mode from a fully shielded opponent.

Gui_PT

electricpirate said:
Launch grenade
Hold R
Release when grenade is about to hit dude
profit.

And GUI, I'm pretty sure it can still kill, I know i have killed with it manual mode from a fully shielded opponent.

You might kill him, but the chances are low. Besides, it's hard to use the manual detonation correctly if the guy's too close to you, as it seems to have been the case with Dax,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom