• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
SonfodonCD said:
I actually aquired both a rocket launcher AND a fuel rod cannon beforehand. I gave one each to the marines, picked up another weapon which I can't recall, and went to town. Tough, but not too bad.

In general whenever I get access to heavy weapons I give them to marines if they are around. Infinite ammo and pretty good aim.

You keep doing that until they put a rocket to the back of your head.

NOKYARD

ZayneH said:
I'm dreading that Hunter encounter..ugh.
Reach Hunters
can be taken down from any angle with the Sniper. Even when they are directly facing you in full defensive mode with their goalie glove in front. Aim for ANY red meaty pieces like the face and left shoulder. If you see blood splatter you are doing it right.

zumphry

Banned
NOKYARD said:
Reach Hunters
can be taken down from any angle with the Sniper. Even when they are directly facing you in full defensive mode with their goalie glove in front. Aim for ANY red meaty pieces like the face and left shoulder. If you see blood splatter you are doing it right.

Noticed this when playing ONI: Sword Base for a challenge a week or so ago, but I doubt I'll be able to hold onto a Sniper until that encounter.

GhaleonEB

Is anyone else having issues getting screenshots to arrive at bungie.net? I just went through taking pictures of the final (current) version of my map for the Forge thread, but none are on b.net. Had the same issue a few days ago. I have to manually transfer them via the File Share which is quite tedious.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
Is anyone else having issues getting screenshots to arrive at bungie.net? I just went through taking pictures of the final (current) version of my map for the Forge thread, but none are on b.net. Had the same issue a few days ago. I have to manually transfer them via the File Share which is quite tedious.

I had that problem the other night. I just copied them to my file share then once I saved them I deleted them from my fileshare.

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
I had that problem the other night. I just copied them to my file share then once I saved them I deleted them from my fileshare.
Yeah, that's the plan. A bit time consuming but doable. Good to know I'm not the only one with the issue; IIRC Halo 3 had the same issue for a few weeks after release, I remember doing the same thing for a while.

Edit: they won't upload to the file share. :lol

The first one is stuck trying to upload, the other 10 are waiting for it.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, that's the plan. A bit time consuming but doable. Good to know I'm not the only one with the issue; IIRC Halo 3 had the same issue for a few weeks after release, I remember doing the same thing for a while.

Edit: they won't upload to the file share. :lol

The first one is stuck trying to upload, the other 10 are waiting for it.

Wow. Sounds like there are without a doubt some issues tonight then.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure it has been mentioned a million times already, but although Im glad they used a new soundtrack, I wish they would have used the main Halo theme at least once during the game.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Woah wtf.

I just completed the 100 precision weapon kills and it added to my exp and all, then I went to the main menu, then back to the dashboard and back into the game. I played a Firefight and noticed that the challenges were no longer complete.

What gives?

Edit:

I also did "Iron With Friends" earlier tonight and it says it is not done anymore too. What the hell.

feel

The 4 or 5 TS games I managed to squeeze today after the playlist update, were all pretty nice stuff. Good job Bungie. Will give BTB a go tomorrow and see what's up.

For DLC, I hope we get some more traditionally structured maps. Like one base, the middle and another base. I know Bungie said The Pit is likely coming back. We need more maps like that.

Red

NOKYARD said:
Reach Hunters
Melees to the back seem to take them out pretty quickly on Legendary. It's like the new 1-hit pistol kill. A good chunk of my Hunter kills have been from melee attacks.

ToyMachine228 said:
For DLC, I hope we get some more traditionally structured maps. Like one base, the middle and another base. I know Bungie said The Pit is likely coming back. We need more maps like that.
Wait, what? I missed it.

watership

JetBlackPanda said:
Oh YEAH ODST represent

playermodel.ashx

Okay. The jokes on me. Haha. Now, someone tell me the secret society i have to join to make my armor update at all in B.net.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So people who just use Armor Lock in every confrontation in Rumble Pit are just griefing, right? I love Armor Lock and find it useful in the correct scenarios, but come on, this is just stupid. I just played a game where I seemed to be the only person not abusing it in every possible instance.

Striker

Objective is still quite far my favorite playlist. I agree with Ramirez about the Drop Shield, though. My primary worry about Reach MP heading into it was the shield. It has no positive purpose in MP; while I do not mind its place in the game for a campaign surface or Firefight, it completely slows down the gameplay in actual multiplayer. I hope that is revisited again and they push the Hologram back in for CTF/Assault, because that is one AA that isn't hurting the gameplay.

I would also like for Oddball to be no radar at all, because it just evolves into camp-fests. Also curious as to why Sword Base itself has little to no Jetpack AA anymore. I played one Team Slayer game the other day, and instead of Jetpack, they had a Drop Shield. On a map that's defined by it, why?

Aggrotek

Striker said:
Objective is still quite far my favorite playlist. I agree with Ramirez about the Drop Shield, though. My primary worry about Reach MP heading into it was the shield. It has no positive purpose in MP; while I do not mind its place in the game for a campaign surface or Firefight, it completely slows down the gameplay in actual multiplayer. I hope that is revisited again and they push the Hologram back in for CTF/Assault, because that is one AA that isn't hurting the gameplay.

I would also like for Oddball to be no radar at all, because it just evolves into camp-fests. Also curious as to why Sword Base itself has little to no Jetpack AA anymore. I played one Team Slayer game the other day, and instead of Jetpack, they had a Drop Shield. On a map that's defined by it, why?
I too am loving objective. Oddball and One Flag are great. Wish it was able to be in arena.
I haven't played a game without Jetpack on Sword Base though.

Ramirez

I'm a broken record at this point, but radar and super competitive (which is what I thought the Arena was supposed to be) don't belong in the same hemisphere. Ugh.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
I'm a broken record at this point, but radar and super competitive (which is what I thought the Arena was supposed to be) don't belong in the same hemisphere. Ugh.
That might actually make me happy when I play arena. Hard to believe I know.

GhaleonEB

Map pimpage ahoy. Thanks for playing it during customs so I could study the films for adjustments. Among the changes:

-Lowered the towers by about 35% so it's not as long a walk up. I think players were spending too darn long climbing up and down on it. Plus, the lower height means the bottom of the tower hangs down below and breaks a sight line I was worried about.

-Removed the tower walkway extension by pulling the the base of the tower forward toward the man cannon. This had three benefits: a shorter walk to the man cannon, the double-jump upon landing places players right at the down ramp, it lets vehicles drive on either side of the tower base.

-Added glass barriers along the back edge so vehicles don't miss the edge when going around the tower, or when going over the jump in the center.

-Angled the ramps across the center chasm down another 15 degrees; the jump is very smooth for Warthogs now and smoother for Mongeese.

-Blocked off the lip of the grav lift chute in the base; there was a Mongoose bobbing in one for a while, alas. Won't happen now.

-Upped the sniper rifle clip to 12, and sped up the vehicle spawns.

-Removed the two largest "bumps" in the roads by pulling the sides a touch closer together and removing the joining blocks.

-Added health packs (six). And a bunch of other small tweaks.

I'd love to get a game or two set up in customs this weekend to see how the current version plays. I have a list of possible changes, ranging from small to enormous depending how it goes. Thanks again for testing it out the other night, I know it was a bit rough but I needed guinea pigs. :D

REV 09

Tonight was the most fun that I've had with Reach mp yet. The only issues that I had were that the snipers should be removed from Pinnacle and Asylum needs a soft kill on the top. Pinnacle is too controllable without many viable counters.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Finally getting the hang of the Revenant. Just went 19-0 with it on Hemorrhage (can't remember the last time I finished a game with no deaths); the thing is a beast.

just moved and hooked my hdtv back up, first time i really noticed how slanted/angeled parts if the UI are...thought my DLP got messed up in the move lol

now just need to get my settings right since i changed to hdmi and everything looks really washed out

bj00rn_

Banned
Finished Legendary solo. Loved the challenge. Can't wait to start over again (Despite the lack of a music volume option............................). Played a little MP also. And didn't quite feel the maps like I did with Halo 3. Nostalgia maybe? I can't play as well either, it's somewhat hard to get used to some of the differences. Maybe it's because I'm more of a casual online player.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The community is ruining this beautiful game for me.

Arena TS:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=175683461&player=godhandiscen

We are dominating and then I get betrayed by a shotgun. I agree it was an error and I don't even see the prompt to kick a player. I think that Bungie maybe fixed the betrayals situation during the October update. Then I make a mistake trying to kill a camo and I betray my partner. I instantly get booted.

Arena TS:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=175709410&player=godhandiscen
I am having a great match, I manage a killing spree early in the game, and then when I die I see that my teammates are not getting kills. Soon after, two quit at the same time. The last teammate left decides to hide the whole match and with 10 mins to go I am not having real fun. I just quit.

Arena TS
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=175734121&player=godhandiscen
I spend 5 minutes in host migration, when I came back from it, I see that I have lost a kill. Looking back at the game it says I have 1 penalty. How did I manage to betray somebody when my screen was absolutely dark? It's all cool, we can still pull a comeback, I am liking the game, but the illusion is soon destroyed as I realize nobody in the team is using a comunicator. Nobody even pays attention to my warnings... :(

Arena TS
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=175753032&player=godhandiscen
Finally, a really balanced game.... ruined by the fact that nobody makes any attempt to communicate. I gave up and played for myself this game. I rescued an even spread from the massacre that was this match.

I enjoy the arena playlist, but apparently it isn't meant for a single person. Tough luck since all my friends are over Halo now playing SC2.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
PsychoRaven said:
Woohoo. I finally did it. I got my last achievement till future ones are added. I am offically a member of the 1000/1000 club. lol

please teach me how to do the firefight ones :(

Sean

Banned
catfish said:
please teach me how to do the firefight ones :(

Just download a custom Firefight gametype from bungie.net (or in-game filebrowser thing), do a search for "Achievements" or something. Gives you like invincibility and bottomless clip, so you just run around and fire at everything until all the achievements unlock.

Finished the single player just now. Really fantastic. First Halo SP I have really enjoyed. There were really no weak parts at all. Also, the game just looks really great and it's not just the graphics. The style and art are leagues above past Halo titles.

GhaleonEB said:
Tried Team Objective.

Got One-Flag on Pinnacle.

Made mental note to self not to play Team Objective again. That was a very unpleasant experience. It still boggles my mind that there's a sniper rifle on the map.
But Ghaleon, there isn't a sniper rifle on that map.

There's two.

Striker said:
Objective is still quite far my favorite playlist. I agree with Ramirez about the Drop Shield, though.

Yeah, I really don't get what Jeremiah is thinking. Taking the Hologram out (which was fine AFAIK), but leaving the Drop Shield in. It's too powerful for multiplayer. In fact, it's far more effective than in Campaign, because it takes so much longer to destroy. AI can tear through it in seconds on higher settings.

I played Assault the other day, and we all had drop shields. The other guys couldn't get near us, as we'd just keep dropping them in sequence to effectively have a permanent, regenerating bubble shield. We all agreed on just how silly it was.

The community is ruining this beautiful game for me.

If you want to enjoy playing Halo, you really need to go in as a party. Too many idiots in matchmaking when you play by yourself.

An example of this was last night on 1 Flag CTF on Powerhouse (which is way better than the beta btw). I pick up the Rocket Launcher only for some moron on my team to take exception to this, so he promptly betrays me (and quickly ends up losing said launcher). I didn't have the option to boot him unfortunately.

On the plus side, when I managed to get the Rockets back, I was able to betray him and steal his flag capture. Take that you fucker!

Good to hear that credits do roll over to the next level (as I suspected). Just coming up on Commander Grade 3! Still, what is the point of the cap then, other than possibly discouraging a few people from farming, since they get the impression it's worthless?

Ok listening to that Frankie interview now. I have to say I disagree with him when he says that you wouldn't want a straight up remake. That's exactly what we want. Identical except with Reach's graphics engine.

What I'd do is have two modes. One it literally a copy/paste just with new graphics. All the damage values, ranges, speeds, acceleration are all the same. All the encounters would be the same.

The other would be a reworking for balance and gameplay.

Sure, it would be extra work (though Bungie have already done 99% of the work for the first part), but it massively reduces the risk. The purists who don't want a thing changed will be happy. Those that would like to see changes will (hopefully) be happy. And at the very least it gives users the option of choosing which one they want.

Challenges:

A Great Friend - 2000cR

Earn 30 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Blastin' and Relaxin' - 2000cR

Kill 180 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

Be Vigilant - 1200cR

Score 10,000 points in any Campaign mission without dying.

Now I have a Machine Gun - 800cR

Earn 30 kills with automatic weapons in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Raide

A Great Friend 2000cR
Earn 30 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Blastin' and Relaxin' 2000cR
Kill 180 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

Be Vigilant 1200cR
Score 10,000 points in any Campaign mission without dying.

Now I have a Machine Gun 800cR
Earn 30 kills with automatic weapons in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Edit: beaten like a bad DMR user.

OMG Aero

Ramirez said:
I don't understand this at all. What about the radar makes the game less super competitive? The radar adds extra strategy to the game since you have to be careful of your movements when you are getting to close to other people. Not to mention it balances out the active camo, without the fake radar dots there could be someone hiding in every corner of the map and you would never know.

All the radar-less games I played in Arena before they took it out just consisted of everyone sprinting and assassinating people one after another because you can't tell if there is someone behind you.

AwesomeSyrup said:
Wait, what? I missed it.

In an interview with IGN (I believe it was IGN) Brian Jarrard stated something along the lines of; Hypothetically if Bungie were to be working on any DLC map packs, The Pit would be a fan favorite that would come back.

Louis Wu

Photolysis said:
If you want to enjoy playing Halo, you really need to go in as a party. Too many idiots in matchmaking when you play by yourself.
Please change those "you"s to "I"s.

I spend more time in matchmaking solo than I do with a party - and there are very real reasons for that. (And I sure as hell wouldn't keep playing if I weren't having fun.)

Louis Wu said:
Please change those "you"s to "I"s.

I spend more time in matchmaking solo than I do with a party - and there are very real reasons for that. (And I sure as hell wouldn't keep playing if I weren't having fun.)

If you're having fun, great. But I'm not the first person to say how miserable the experience can be when playing solo.

I'd say something like 90% of my solo games are ruined by quitters, betrayers, or people who are just complete idiots. That 10% of the time when this doesn't happen is great. But if I can play in a team I can raise that 10% success rate to 100%.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Photolysis said:
If you're having fun, great. But I'm not the first person to say have miserable the experience can be when playing solo.

It goes in waves though, I had something like a 1.15 k/d ratio and in 2 days that dropped below 1 (due to not learning about me sucking at infection and it being EVERYGAME)

combine that with a hot streak of getting matched with bitches that quit within 2 seconds of starting a level they didn't vote for (boardwalk urgh) meaning I ate something like 2x -8 in the same night and I was getting SAD.

But now it's picked up again. Last night I ranked average <1500 in arena. I definitely can't keep that up for the whole season, but I'm back in the positives for k/d over all my gametypes now.

Trueskill seems to be working pretty well despite the crap quitters. I always take the time to type 'thanks ass' followed by negative quitter feedback when it happens.

Louis Wu

Photolysis said:
If you're having fun, great. But I'm not the first person to say how miserable the experience can be when playing solo.
And I'm not the first to say that it's not.

All I was asking was that you speak for yourself, rather than in generalities. :D

Really, I have no idea if the quit probation things are working or not. I still see so many people quit out it's maddening.

Or maybe it is, and that's why I see so many people who have just walked away from the console and let themselves get killed. Or the ones that figure they'll just melee or shoot their teammates and make them an easy kill.

/sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom